PDA

View Full Version : OU/Tex game - is this true?

landrun
1/3/2009, 07:07 PM
I've read on one of our forums where someone hinted that all officials in the RRR were tejas alumni. But, I couldn't tell if they were being serious or not.

Anyone know if it is actually true?

RiddlerOK
1/3/2009, 07:19 PM
Are you kidding me?

StoopTroup
1/3/2009, 07:21 PM
I heard they were the ones who bought all the banners.

I wonder how those eggs taste now?

Whorn Egg Basket (http://www.burntorangenation.com/2008/12/6/683594/big-12-championship-game-o)

GottaHavePride
1/3/2009, 07:33 PM
I don't know about them being Texas alumni.

However, Randy ****ing Christal, the head ref that day, DOES live in Austin.

MamaMia
1/3/2009, 07:48 PM
No way! :eek:

Is this true? :confused:

85sooners
1/3/2009, 07:51 PM
:mad:

soonervegas
1/3/2009, 07:55 PM
If they were from tokyo it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game.....

TXBOOMER
1/3/2009, 07:56 PM
Kinda like that ********* insurance salesman from Lubbock that blew those calls at Tech 3 years ago. I hope we get some refs that call this game fairly next week. The one thing I hate most about sports is how the outcome can be raped by an official.

OUAndy1807
1/3/2009, 08:05 PM
Officials: Referee: Karl Richins; Umpire: Tom Quick; Linesman: Mike Moeller;
Line judge: David Oliver; Back judge: Mike Defee; Field judge: Bobby Ables;
Side judge: Gene Semko; Scorer: Gary Brown;

instigator
1/3/2009, 08:06 PM

I agree. There were 2 very iffy personal fouls and the interception that wasn't. If you take away the personal fouls, I think we still lose. The interception would have made a much bigger difference though. Either way I still think we lose that game. Just wasn't our day.

OUAndy1807
1/3/2009, 08:12 PM
I'm torn. my head tells me calls didn't make all the difference, but my gut tells me that those personal foul calls set UT up a lot nicer and were not even questionable. The interception was another call that was obvious and ended with points being scored.

I hesitated to even watch the replay of the game last week, but I'm glad I did. I think everyone forgets that it was a much closer game than the 10 points would lead you to believe.

I also know that I'm a homer.

GottaHavePride
1/3/2009, 08:39 PM
Oh, we were in trouble that day as soon as Reynolds went out. However, those penalties were backbreakers.

It's like our men's basketball tourney game where Michigan State bounced us in 2000 or so. We were in trouble, but we were still in it right up to the point Najera collided head-first with Mateen Cleaves. After that we were done.

olevetonahill
1/3/2009, 08:47 PM

Step away from the Crack Pipe . :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
1/3/2009, 08:52 PM
Oh, we were in trouble that day as soon as Reynolds went out. However, those penalties were backbreakers.

It's like our men's basketball tourney game where Michigan State bounced us in 2000 or so. We were in trouble, but we were still in it right up to the point Najera collided head-first with Mateen Cleaves. After that we were done.

Zackly , Those 2 Penalties and 1 No Call Kept Em in till RR went Out .:eek:

TopDawg
1/3/2009, 08:57 PM
I didn't recognize any of those officials from before.

It was strange...in a stupid way, not a conspiracy way...that the national game of the week would've been officiated by a relatively new crew.

SPuL
1/3/2009, 09:00 PM
Lol none of you mentioned the huge break we got.

That BS kicker interference call. That was great acting. And if you remember, we scored a TD on that drive. If I Recall, I think Texas got two FG's on those late hits. Not sure..

but we got a huge break on that punter interference too.

But like many of you said we would have lost regardless. The defense was lost without Reynolds.

SPuL
1/3/2009, 09:02 PM
Also, am I the only one who thinks there was HORRIBLE play calling on OU's last drive when they were down 3??

2 runs, then a pass. Like the run game wasn't working ALL game. And in a clutch situation you waste two downs on the run. Then Bradford just misses someone, and they have to punt. Trusting Bradford who was hot all day would have been smarter and could have helped us win that game.

bluedogok
1/3/2009, 09:06 PM
Officials: Referee: Karl Richins; Umpire: Tom Quick; Linesman: Mike Moeller;
Line judge: David Oliver; Back judge: Mike Defee; Field judge: Bobby Ables;
Side judge: Gene Semko; Scorer: Gary Brown;
That crew worked the Texas and Texas Tech games.

From Football Official's Camps (http://www.footballofficialscamp.com/camp_reno/r_instructors.htm)

Karl Richins - MWC (http://www.footballofficialscamp.com/staffbios/richins_karl.htm)
Football official in Idaho for 8 years and now Utah for 14 years. Worked in the Big Sky Conference 1998 and 1999 as a Side Judge. Hired into the Mountain West Conference in 2000 as a Side Judge by then Supervisor, Bill Leavy. Moved to MWC Referee in 2003.

January 1, 2003 Cotton Bowl.
January 1, 2004 Outback Bowl.
December 30, 2004 EV1.Net Houston Bowl.
January 1, 2006 Cotton Bowl
January 1, 2007 Gator Bowl

Buddy to "Super-Ref"

That was the only thing that I could find other than the crew listings for games, most of the hits that came back on them were all Big 12 or MWC games. Most of the Big 12 games were from this season and MWC games for a few season back. This seems to coincide with the working agreement between the Big 12 and MWC conference.

sooner2b09
1/3/2009, 09:48 PM
Lol none of you mentioned the huge break we got.

That BS kicker interference call. That was great acting. And if you remember, we scored a TD on that drive. If I Recall, I think Texas got two FG's on those late hits. Not sure..

but we got a huge break on that punter interference too.

But like many of you said we would have lost regardless. The defense was lost without Reynolds.

And probably the best quote by Musberger ever

"...and he should get the heisman for acting for that performance"

EstablishedSooner1967
1/3/2009, 10:33 PM
spilled milk.... OU is in the BCS Championship game!

007sooner
1/3/2009, 10:36 PM
spilled milk.... OU is in the BCS Championship game!

and at tejas's expense. i couldn't ask for a better set up!! :texan: sux

GottaHavePride
1/3/2009, 10:42 PM
Sorry, my mistake. Randy Christal was umpire for OU/OSU and the Big XII championship game. Two in a row.

8timechamps
1/3/2009, 10:44 PM
Who cares?

In the end, it made no difference whatsoever.

MamaMia
1/3/2009, 11:04 PM
Its important to me to be a good sport. I was raised that way, in a very athletic family with parents who had a chart on the fridge mapping out which kid needed to be at what game or practice that day, so I just hate to complain about bad calls. Sometimes however, its rather difficult not to when the calls are way lopsided or game changing. When I find out that the refs who made lopsided or game changing calls have ties to the opponents team in some form it makes me wonder why they were even officiating the game at all.

With all the money involved in college sports and considering whats on the line here, you would think that the powers that be could arrange a few airplane rides and a couple of hotel rooms to bring in some total independents for these games.

Soonerfan88
1/3/2009, 11:08 PM
Don't remember which one & not taking the time to look it up, but one of the crew from this year's game is UT alum, either graduate degree or law school.

Randy Cristal and John Bible have been ensuring Hook 'em victories since the '70s in both football and baseball.

SPuL
1/3/2009, 11:39 PM
And probably the best quote by Musberger ever

"...and he should get the heisman for acting for that performance"

LOL I remember that. It was such a hilarious moment, and had it not been for the intense stress moment of the game, I would have been rolling on the floor.

From him clutching his leg, then getting up fine, then remembering "I BETTER GET DOWN AND ACT LIKE THIS REALLY HURT", and falling back down and clutching the leg. then getting the leg stretched out on the sideline. ahahah

SOONER STEAKER
1/3/2009, 11:46 PM
I can't complain about the referring, my onloy complaint is the no block that Gresham thru on the fake punt. If Gresham makes that block and we get the first down, momentum wouldn't have shifted to the whores and we would have won that game.

I think that game made our team tougher and more focused for the task at hand which is to skin and eat Tim Tebow and those gaytors.

oupride
1/4/2009, 12:03 AM
So WHICH conference will the officials for the game come out of? Or is it super-top-secret until kickoff?