PDA

View Full Version : A Real Position vs. Position breakdown:

OU_Sooners75
1/3/2009, 03:38 PM
Florida Back Seven vs. Oklahoma WRs, TEs, and RBs:
The Florida secondary is a good one. However, they have only had to face a schedule that included facing teams that averaged just 205 passing yards per game. In this game, they will be facing a team that has passed for 75 yards per game more than the best passing offense they have faced. Oklahoma WRs have not seen a secondary like this. Loaded with speed and the ability to shut down the pass (allows just 174 yards passing), this match up looks like it will be fun to watch. The problem for Florida is the ability to not only cover the TE, but some very elusive running backs and a very fast slot receiver. Florida will have to shut down 5 legitimate threats to take the ball all the way every time they touch the ball. Something they are not used to seeing this season.
Advantage: Oklahoma

Florida D-line vs. Oklahoma O-line:
Florida is very fast on the defensive line. They are just as physical as they are speedy. However, after watching the Alabama/Utah game, the Oklahoma O-line will be the best that they have faced this season. Oklahoma has potentially 5 NFL draftees on their starting line. No other team in FBS college football can say that. The problem coming into this game for Oklahoma is the speed off the ends. Oklahoma's tackles have struggled in the past when facing quick and agile defensive ends. The problem with Florida's defensive line coming into this game, they have not faced a O-Line that can run and pass block like this Sooner Unit. OU has scored over 700 points this year. The O-Line is the reason why.
Advantage: Even

Oklahoma Back Seven vs. Florida WRs, TEs, and RBs:
The advantage Oklahoma has coming into the National Championship is the fact that they have played against some very good offenses this year. However, the straight away speed and the elusiveness of the skilled players for Florida will pose a major problem for Oklahoma. Oklahoma will definitely be challenged by the likes of Percy Harvin and Tebow. Along with Demps and other speedy small running backs. Florida can bust a big play at any moment.
Advantage: Florida

Oklahoma D-Line vs. Florida O-Line:
Florida's offensive line will be one of the better O-Lines that Oklahoma will have faced this season. The same can be said for Florida. Oklahoma is #3 in the nation in sacks and #1 in tackles for loss this season. The speed and power of both of these units will test each other early and often. Oklahoma's D-Line does have the speed to stay up with the spread option of Florida. And that should pose a big problem for Florida.

Sam Bradford vs. Florida Defense:
There is a reason why this young man won the 2008 Heisman Trophy. I have had the privilege of watching Sam Bradford in person. It is impressive how quick he sees the field and how he goes from one WR to the next and then back. I have not seen a college QB have this ability since the mid 1990s when Peyton Manning was at Tennessee. If Florida is unable to get pressure on Bradford, Sam will pick apart the Gator defense with surgical precision.

Tim Tebow vs. Oklahoma Defense:
Tim Tebow set a precedent a year ago. He is a very good leader on and off the field. He wills his team to win. He runs the Florida spread option very well. However, he is going to be going up against a defense that loves to lay the wood on opposing WRs and Runners. Tebow better be prepared for the hits. The advantage for Florida, he does not commit turnovers. He has only thrown for 2 interceptions this season. That in itself is very amazing. The biggest problem for Tebow starts if he is forced to play out of his element and that is throwing the rock more than running the option. However, he has proven to be accurate when he does throw. But is he when he has to throw more than 25 times in a game?

Overall:
This game on paper looks very even on offense and one sided on defense. It appears on paper that Florida has the edge. However, let's not discount what OU brings to the game. This game to me looks to be very evenly matched and should be fun to watch. The spread is set at 3.5 points in favor of Florida right now. That seems about right and could go for either team in my opinion. Look for both teams to start off slow after such a long lay off. However, watch for the fast scoring and hurry up offense of Oklahoma to take its toll on Florida's defense. Florida's offense plays into the hands of Oklahoma's defense.

Note: I wrote this quickly, so some things may not be factually correct. If so, let me know, I will correct it.

oupride
1/3/2009, 03:45 PM
I agree with most except I think Oklahoma will will score a TD on its first possesion.

OU_Sooners75
1/3/2009, 03:51 PM
I agree with most except I think Oklahoma will will score a TD on its first possesion.

They could. And I would not be surprised. But if it takes more than 5 mintues to score on their first possession, that is starting slow. :D

P3 Gator
1/3/2009, 04:17 PM
Florida Back Seven vs. Oklahoma WRs, TEs, and RBs:
The Florida secondary is a good one. However, they have only had to face a schedule that included facing teams that averaged just 205 passing yards per game. In this game, they will be facing a team that has passed for 75 yards per game more than the best passing offense they have faced. Oklahoma WRs have not seen a secondary like this. Loaded with speed and the ability to shut down the pass (allows just 174 yards passing), this match up looks like it will be fun to watch. The problem for Florida is the ability to not only cover the TE, but some very elusive running backs and a very fast slot receiver. Florida will have to shut down 5 legitimate threats to take the ball all the way every time they touch the ball. Something they are not used to seeing this season.

Florida D-line vs. Oklahoma O-line:
Florida is very fast on the defensive line. They are just as physical as they are speedy. However, after watching the Alabama/Utah game, the Oklahoma O-line will be the best that they have faced this season. Oklahoma has potentially 5 NFL draftees on their starting line. No other team in FBS college football can say that. The problem coming into this game for Oklahoma is the speed off the ends. Oklahoma's tackles have struggled in the past when facing quick and agile defensive ends. The problem with Florida's defensive line coming into this game, they have not faced a O-Line that can run and pass block like this Sooner Unit. OU has scored over 700 points this year. The O-Line is the reason why.
Advantage: Even

The advantage Oklahoma has coming into the National Championship is the fact that they have played against some very good offenses this year. However, the straight away speed and the elusiveness of the skilled players for Florida will pose a major problem for Oklahoma. Oklahoma will definitely be challenged by the likes of Percy Harvin and Tebow. Along with Demps and other speedy small running backs. Florida can bust a big play at any moment.

Florida's offensive line will be one of the better O-Lines that Oklahoma will have faced this season. The same can be said for Florida. Oklahoma is #3 in the nation in sacks and #1 in tackles for loss this season. The speed and power of both of these units will test each other early and often. Oklahoma's D-Line does have the speed to stay up with the spread option of Florida. And that should pose a big problem for Florida.

Sam Bradford vs. Florida Defense:
There is a reason why this young man won the 2008 Heisman Trophy. I have had the privilege of watching Sam Bradford in person. It is impressive how quick he sees the field and how he goes from one WR to the next and then back. I have not seen a college QB have this ability since the mid 1990s when Peyton Manning was at Tennessee. If Florida is unable to get pressure on Bradford, Sam will pick apart the Gator defense with surgical precision.

Tim Tebow vs. Oklahoma Defense:
Tim Tebow set a precedent a year ago. He is a very good leader on and off the field. He wills his team to win. He runs the Florida spread option very well. However, he is going to be going up against a defense that loves to lay the wood on opposing WRs and Runners. Tebow better be prepared for the hits. The advantage for Florida, he does not commit turnovers. He has only thrown for 2 interceptions this season. That in itself is very amazing. The biggest problem for Tebow starts if he is forced to play out of his element and that is throwing the rock more than running the option. However, he has proven to be accurate when he does throw. But is he when he has to throw more than 25 times in a game?

Overall:
This game on paper looks very even on offense and one sided on defense. It appears on paper that Florida has the edge. However, let's not discount what OU brings to the game. This game to me looks to be very evenly matched and should be fun to watch. The spread is set at 3.5 points in favor of Florida right now. That seems about right and could go for either team in my opinion. Look for both teams to start off slow after such a long lay off. However, watch for the fast scoring and hurry up offense of Oklahoma to take its toll on Florida's defense. Florida's offense plays into the hands of Oklahoma's defense.

Note: I wrote this quickly, so some things may not be factually correct. If so, let me know, I will correct it.

Good analysis. I think your d-backs will have more trouble than you think; we have heard a lot about OU's 4 wides and tight end, but UF has some very good receivers in Harvin, Murphy, Cooper, Nelson, and Thompson. UF's tight-end, Aaron Hernandez (29 catches for 324 yards and 5 TDs) is also very good.

Another point; Bama was down two very fine offensive linemen last night that played against UF. Their line was really scrambled (in more ways than one) last night.

Hot Rod
1/3/2009, 04:22 PM
Another point; Bama was down two very fine offensive linemen last night that played against UF. Their line was really scrambled (in more ways than one) last night.

How many defensive players did they not have starting?

OU_Sooners75
1/3/2009, 04:41 PM
Good analysis. I think your d-backs will have more trouble than you think; we have heard a lot about OU's 4 wides and tight end, but UF has some very good receivers in Harvin, Murphy, Cooper, Nelson, and Thompson. UF's tight-end, Aaron Hernandez (29 catches for 324 yards and 5 TDs) is also very good.

I think I have stated that Oklahoma is going to have problems in the back seven.

OU_Sooners75
1/3/2009, 04:42 PM

All of them skipped the game.

That was their cheerleaders playing.

Also, I was told by a dumbass gator fan from gatorbait.com that OLinemen are not a dime a dozen.

P3 Gator
1/3/2009, 04:43 PM

Their defense was healthy. If their O-line is healthy though, JPW isn't wearing a defensive end all night and the running game is more effective. Bama's game is a ball control game which they couldn't play last night because of the trouble up-front. Given a healthy line, UU doesn't get as much opportunity. Bama's best defense last night would have been to have the UU offense sitting on their butts collecting splinters.

Tell you what, take two of your three best O-linemen and sit one down 4 days before the game and toss the other one in the first quarter and adjust. I wouldn't want to do that and neither would you. Why? Because without you best players up front or with them trying to learn new positions on the job, any offense is going to stink.

Hot Rod
1/3/2009, 04:48 PM
Their defense was healthy.

Answered my question, because I've heard all the offense excuses. I was just making sure if there were any for the D.

P3 Gator
1/3/2009, 05:02 PM
Answered my question, because I've heard all the offense excuses. I was just making sure if there were any for the D.

Only I'm guessing it wouldn't be an excuse but a reason if it happened to OU.

PDXsooner
1/3/2009, 05:13 PM
My God enough excuses, Utah didn't win because Bama was an O-lineman down. They punched Bama in the face so hard by the time they got their vision back it was 21-0.

Hot Rod
1/3/2009, 05:16 PM
Only I'm guessing it wouldn't be an excuse but a reason if it happened to OU.

Oh, so turn it around to a "my team" situation. I see how it rolls. You won't hear any excuses from me when another big 12 team loses. OSU got beat. Tech didn't look the same either. I'm not going to look for reasoning of why they got beat because they are in the same conference as us. On the other hand, you SEC homers do.

My point was at the beginning of this thread was that so much of excuses was on the offensive side of the ball, instead of the D. But, you'd think you could read or something.

P3 Gator
1/3/2009, 05:37 PM
Oh, so turn it around to a "my team" situation. I see how it rolls. You won't hear any excuses from me when another big 12 team loses. OSU got beat. Tech didn't look the same either. I'm not going to look for reasoning of why they got beat because they are in the same conference as us. On the other hand, you SEC homers do.

My point was at the beginning of this thread was that so much of excuses was on the offensive side of the ball, instead of the D. But, you'd think you could read or something.

Yes, thank you, I can read. As a matter of fact, I read this:

The problem with Florida's defensive line coming into this game, they have not faced a O-Line that can run and pass block like this Sooner Unit.

The point was that when we played Bama, they had the Outland Trophy winner on their line. They had two All Americans on their O-line when we faced them, so we have faced another very good O-line this year. You can choose to call them reasons or excuses; it depends on the impression you are trying to make.

Circle City Gator
1/3/2009, 06:51 PM

I would have to disagree with this one. Florida's O-line is very good and has excellent foot speed. Oklahoma's line, on the other hand, has injuries that strip it of depth. This is not an advantage for Oklahoma. At best, it's a push. This is as close as you came to a homer conclusion.

As for Tebow having to take over a game, well, that's not really a problem. He threw the ball 25 times or more in 10 games last year. He only did it three times this year, but he rarely played the fourth quarter, and sometimes not even the second half. No, Tebow throwing the ball is not a problem. In two years he threw for 60 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. This year he threw for 28 TDs and only 2 interceptions. No, I'm not too worried about Tebow throwing the ball.

Others have observed that your point about Alabama means little, given that they were missing the best lineman in the country, and shifted most of their line for the Utah game.

All that said, the most glaring error in this analysis is that it excludes special teams. Florida has the advantage in every aspect of special teams now that Murray is out. If the game becomes one of field position or field goals, Florida wins. Florida averages 50% more on punt returns, and that was when Oklahoma had Murray (did he return punts?). It also averages half the yardage for opponent punt returns. Your field goal percentage is only 66%. Ours is over 90%. Also, we have blocked punts and field goals this year.

Finally, your conclusory statement that the "edge" goes to Oklahoma comes without any basis. I, on the other hand, will give you a solid basis for Florida to have an advantage. Florida has been there before. Many of the players on this team played for a national championship two years ago. That sort of experience can make a big difference.

007sooner
1/3/2009, 06:56 PM
Riight, because our 2003 squad had SUCH a big advantage from playing in and winning the NCG in 2000 :rolleyes:

delhalew
1/3/2009, 07:44 PM
What part of our D-line is injured. Our injuries are at LB.

Second, why would he mention special teams. Theres nothing ground breaking there. Its a foregone conclusion that Phlorida has the edge there.

Yes, we know you have the utmost confidence in Tebow. In fact there is no situation he can be put in that isn't of his own design. Picture Tebow rubbing hands together as he proclaims "All is going according to plan, HAHAHA"! Bullcrap.

SoonerBacker
1/3/2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, thank you, I can read. As a matter of fact, I read this:

The problem with Florida's defensive line coming into this game, they have not faced a O-Line that can run and pass block like this Sooner Unit.

The point was that when we played Bama, they had the Outland Trophy winner on their line. They had two All Americans on their O-line when we faced them, so we have faced another very good O-line this year. You can choose to call them reasons or excuses; it depends on the impression you are trying to make.

No one said that Bama did not have a good O-line when you played them. The actual comment was that UF had not faced an O-line that could run AND pass block as well as OUs. Even you admitted that Bama was more of a ball control offense. That indicates more of a rushing and short passing offense. The O-line would not have to pass block (and sustain those blocks) for the short passing game.

P3 Gator
1/3/2009, 08:12 PM
No one said that Bama did not have a good O-line when you played them. The actual comment was that UF had not faced an O-line that could run AND pass block as well as OUs. Even you admitted that Bama was more of a ball control offense. That indicates more of a rushing and short passing offense. The O-line would not have to pass block (and sustain those blocks) for the short passing game.

OK, I can see that.

G8trGr8t
1/3/2009, 11:43 PM
It seems that special teams was conveniently left off the list. Big edge Florida. Brandon James returning the punts that Jeff Demps doesn't block.

UF's dline is probably one of the biggest OU has faced this year. Only team close to UF size/speed up front was UT so your OL hasn't had much experience against a dline like UF's. Should be interesting

Coaching. Meyer almost always wins when he has time to prepare. Michigan got healthy last year and played their best game of the year against a very young UF team and we lost that one. I cannot think of another game where Urban had 2 weeks or more to prepare and UF lost so I would have to give UF the advantage here also. He knows how to have the guys ready to play from the opening whistle.

UF 41 - 30

5 - Wide
1/3/2009, 11:57 PM
Nice thread and im a gator fan

jkjsooner
1/4/2009, 12:03 AM
Should we break down special teams as well? Maybe we'll just skip that one. ;-)

Seriously, special teams scare the tar out of me. The only positive I can think of is that there are fewer special team plays so there's a better probability that we get lucky and actually win the special teams battle.

CrimsonJim
1/4/2009, 02:00 AM
I'd be happy with a break even effort here. :)

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2009, 03:04 AM
I was breaking down the Offense vs. Defense issues. Not the Special teams.

****, we all know Florida has a huge advantage there.