PDA

View Full Version : Low in concert

BigRedJed
1/3/2009, 01:53 PM
I really hardly ever hear anyone else on the board mention this band. Surprising, considering what some of the folks here listen to. I'd think fans of bands like Radiohead, Sigur Rós, Explosions in the Sky and the like would be all over this three-piece.

Anyway, I found this complete concert video (http://www.fabchannel.com/low_concert) online. It was shot in Amsterdam back in '05. I saw them some months later at the Opolis, and could not believe how powerful they were live. I think the 50 or so of us in that room the luckiest people in the world on that night. One of the best shows I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong; they are extremely light on stage theatrics, lights, etc. The energy is glacial rather than frenetic, but it is there, underneath the sound, by the boatload. They are quite minimalist and understated, though they do gently wisecrack with the audience. You felt like you were in Al and Mimi's livingroom.

I think Alan Sparhawk is an incredibly underrated guitarist, and when he and Mimi harmonize, it can cause the hair to stand up on the back of your neck.

It doesn't come across as well on video (especially as their trademark surging sound gets really loud, causing it to degrade a bit), but it's still fantastic to watch. Anyway, there are probably at least a half-dozen or so folks on here who should really enjoy it.