PDA

View Full Version : The International Bowl

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 11:16 AM
I know it's a minor league game compared to the big bowl games, but I'm glad for it nonetheless. It is Toronto's tiny contribution to big time NCAA footbal. I'm kinda proud of that, and don't take the game for granted at all. This is the 3rd year for the International Bowl - it's growing a bit every year. Toronto is the hockey capital of the world so I'm pretty much the only NCAA football fan in Toronto. Almost all of the fans that attend the International Bowl game are from the schools participating, and travel from northern US. I'm hoping more locals will attend this year, and then perhaps it will continue to grow (a bit at a time) over the next 10 years.

The game features Big East #4 (UConn-Donald Brown is amazing to watch) vs Mac #2 (Buffalo - Mac Champ).

It might be worth watching, that is if you can put up with Saunders, Flutie and Palmer. Stacey Dales normally does the sideline reporting.

NCAA football is the greatest sport in the world, by far. The Sooners football team is my favourite team in the world, by far. If you only knew all the mountains I had to climb over the years just for the opportunity to watch Sooners games, you would be shocked. It would be almost comparable to climbing Mount Everest.

Trust me, don't take the Sooners and NCAA football for granted.

King Crimson
1/3/2009, 11:42 AM
Toronto is a great city. and i like Turner Gill, always have. and it's better than the NFL.

1890MilesToNorman
1/3/2009, 11:46 AM
Buffalo is having a historic season for them and TG is great.

Go buffalo, hell I don't even know what their mascot/nickname is?

King Crimson
1/3/2009, 11:48 AM
Buffalo is having a historic season for them and TG is great.

Go buffalo, hell I don't even know what their mascot/nickname is?

Bisons, i think. not original, but a clever sidestep of the obvious "Buffalo".

1890MilesToNorman
1/3/2009, 11:51 AM
Bisons, i think. not original, but a clever sidestep of the obvious "Buffalo".

A little repetitious but I guess it fits, as long as his name ain't Ralphie? :P

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 11:57 AM
I think it's Buffalo Bulls. I think it was Bisons from 1915 - 1930, then became Bulls.

I think their tripple A baseball team is now called Bisons.

The Bulls are not all that talented as yet, but they play hard. Yes, TG appears to be a great coach - he's going to eventually get a chance at a big time program.

Have you guys seen the UConn running back, Donald Brown?. I don't know how he will do in the NFL (as I don't know him well enough), but I do like his style of running.

King Crimson
1/3/2009, 11:59 AM
true enough, it is the Bulls.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams/bbp

ouwapiti
1/3/2009, 12:11 PM
who cares bowl...but i agree with crimson....better than nfl............i used to love nfl but now its nothing more to me than a bunch of 'look at me' jokers

hgarmorer
1/3/2009, 01:17 PM
This has been a pretty good game so far. Buffalo has been getting turnovers left and right.

hgarmorer
1/3/2009, 01:18 PM
Nice powerful TD run by Buffalo 20-10 awaiting PAT

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Buffalo doesn't have a lot of talent, but they play scrappy football. It's how they won the Mac conference. They bring their lunch buckets and their hard hats, and just give it their all.

They just got another turn over. They could add to the 20.

hgarmorer
1/3/2009, 01:28 PM
they just showed Buffalo has 73 total yards, 0/7 on 3rd down and 20 points off turnovers. Looks like the D came to play for sure.

hgarmorer
1/3/2009, 01:30 PM
UCONN just rambled off a great 70 yard run. Then the QB keeper around the right for a TD. Great game for a saturday afternoon

Lott's Bandana
1/3/2009, 01:34 PM
UCONN just rambled off a great 70 yard run. Then the QB keeper around the right for a TD. Great game for a saturday afternoon

Yeah, how about that #15 for Buffalo, chasing that guy down. That fella can play on any team of mine...great hustle.

hgarmorer
1/3/2009, 01:37 PM
That was nice, I also like the fact that he didn't celebrate that he caught him. Great hustle indeed.

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 01:37 PM
I'm not quite sure how to evaluate Donald Brown. He always look great to me, but he doesn't play the Oklahoma's of the world. He was the top runner in the NCAA this year, and I think he up to 2,000 yards for the year so far. They say he is predicted as last 1st round to early 3rd draft pick, if he comes out this year.

By the way, Drew Willy is awful so far today. He is a much better quarterback than this. I think the scouts have been considering him for a late NFL draft pick. He is not showing that potential today.

hgarmorer
1/3/2009, 01:43 PM
It's because he has on that goofy looking headband thing on. His head isn't thinking right

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 02:04 PM
I kid you not, everytime Mark May opens up his mouth he looks like a baboon.

Fulmer is sounding like just another ESPINer - where do they find these guys?

One would think that at least the panel host would be neutral, right? It sure didn't come across that way.

Well, at least it's not shocking anymore. It would only be shocking if someone (or a panel) was to actually provide an balance commentary one day.

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 02:13 PM
Buffalo needs to stuff 8 or 9 guys jamped right up in the box. Uconn doesn't throw and Donald Brown is killing them.

OffroadOUFan
1/3/2009, 02:33 PM
Did anyone else notice at 6:58 game time (1:25 according to our DVR) when the player was down the commentator say "...pin their ears back and take a loadfull right in the mouth..." Quite funny expression for a football game, I'd say. Our whole house was very amused.

letylyf029
1/3/2009, 02:35 PM
Love how the halftime nonsense did not have a single reference to Utah smacking down Bama, but references a-plenty to OSU and TT losses. Oh well, at least if Florida and Tebow buy into all that it'll translate into heavy overconfidence.

Good game, I live in Connecticut so the turnovers have been really frustrating me, they're clearly a superior football team.

1/3/2009, 02:39 PM
Somehow, I doubt Turner Gill wanted this game to be a huge racial statement. Now, the announcers have taken it over as such. He was a great player and has proven himself to be a quality football coach. Thanks to the Auburn hire, he is now a racial icon.

Geeze.

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah, as dominating as UConn has been, it's still only a 4 point game. Buffalo needs to get a score soon though, otherwise UConn will pull away for good.

007sooner
1/3/2009, 03:09 PM
That was a crazy awesome run by the qb just now. no more turnovers and uconn has this game well in hand.

sooner59
1/3/2009, 03:21 PM
Ballgame...dang.

007sooner
1/3/2009, 03:23 PM
nice use of the yellow marker there to show us that the ref really *is* paying attention to the toe spot. :p

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 03:26 PM
Nice last drive by the Bulls - where was that all game? The TD pass was there - receiver should have caught it.

Oh well, it was still a good game.

Next up, a Longhorn loss on Monday.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2009, 05:25 PM
Glad to see Turner Gill's team get beat. Love it!