PDA

View Full Version : I'm now convinced

JLEW1818
1/3/2009, 12:24 AM
that college football needs a tournament....... Why, because Utah won?? HECK NO!!!. Just the fact that Alabama did not look ready to play. You cant blame them, "wow guys lets beat Utah so we can say we beat the Mountain West Champ?" Seriously??????????? What the **** does Alabama accomplish???? Don't give me this Alabama should be ready to play bull ****. Oklahoma can use the same so called excuse with Boise State in my opinion. Now just imagine if this was a quarter final game.............. Does Alabama have a different mind set?? ABSOLUTELY... THIS IS JUST ANOTHER REASON WHY COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEEDS A PLAYOFF.

Please give me your opinions, please

P3 Gator
1/3/2009, 12:30 AM
that college football needs a tournament....... Why, because Utah won?? HECK NO!!!. Just the fact that Alabama did not look ready to play. You cant blame them, "wow guys lets beat Utah so we can say we beat the Mountain West Champ?" Seriously??????????? What the **** does Alabama accomplish???? Don't give me this Alabama should be ready to play bull ****. Oklahoma can use the same so called excuse with Boise State in my opinion. Now just imagine if this was a quarter final game.............. Does Alabama have a different mind set?? ABSOLUTELY... THIS IS JUST ANOTHER REASON WHY COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEEDS A PLAYOFF.

I'm with ya...

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2009, 12:30 AM
I didn't see anything to indicate that Alabama wasn't ready to play. It looked to me like Whittingham and staff out coached Saban and staff and they jumped to a lead due to superior preparation. That happens a lot in bowl season with the extra prep time. What I mean by a team not being ready to play is not showing the emotion and passion that they want to win. Like Mizzou against NW and BC against Vandy.

sooner59
1/3/2009, 12:32 AM
I have to think that you are probably right. If this is a playoff game, Bama probably has a different mindset. After their previous games, a BCS bid was award enough for them I guess. I am a playoff proponent, however, as long as we still get BCS title bids, i'll enjoy it while it lasts.

TUSooner
1/3/2009, 12:37 AM
Yes, that is yet another good reason for a tournament. On the other hand, the reasons for NOT having one include........uh.........

I got nuthin!

Sooner5030
1/3/2009, 12:41 AM
play-off only if 32 are invited to the post season. I don't want to see 8 elite teams play and the rest go NIT. Go with 32 and incorporate the bowl sites with the quarter finals

adoniijahsooner
1/3/2009, 12:43 AM
I'm with you, but it sure was nice to watch what transpired tonight.

BoulderSooner79
If the Sugar bowl had been the 1st round of a playoff, then Utah would be going to the second round. The Bama guys played hard, but the Utes had a better game plan - especially on defense. I'm not arguing against a playoff, but this kind of thing would happen in a playoff too. If winning was just a matter of having more 5 star recruits on the field, then USC would never lose.

JLEW1818
Well a start would be go to a four team playoff, so the 5th team gets pissed instead of the 3rd best team. that is a start my friends

JLEW1818
1/3/2009, 12:45 AM
If the Sugar bowl had been the 1st round of a playoff, then Utah would be going to the second round. The Bama guys played hard, but the Utes had a better game plan - especially on defense. I'm not arguing against a playoff, but this kind of thing would happen in a playoff too. If winning was just a matter of having more 5 star recruits on the field, then USC would never lose.

I kinda agree but put yourself in an Alabama coach or players shoes. The current system...... " if we win we beat the mountain west champ, we do not win the national championship, or anything close to it, end of story"

Other situation

"If we win this game we get another shot at the nation title game"

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2009, 12:53 AM
I kinda agree but put yourself in an Alabama coach or players shoes. The current system...... " if we win we beat the mountain west champ, we do not win the national championship, or anything close to it, end of story"

Other situation

"If we win this game we get another shot at the nation title game"

I certainly agree the prize is different, I just didn't see the lack of effort. I was more surprised by USC coming out so strong because you know they didn't want another Rose Bowl. There were players that even admitted they wanted to go to the Fiesta, so it wasn't just the title game envy. I was impressed with the game plan the Utes put together and I hate to see it diminished by the implication that Bama didn't really want it. I think they did and it may well have gone the same way had it been a playoff game.

JLEW1818
1/3/2009, 12:55 AM
yah, in the end USC is just flat out good in bowl games.....(BUT THEY ARE ALL HOME GAMES) HAHAHA

Curly Bill
1/3/2009, 12:57 AM
If Bammer didn't want to play in this game they should have beat the Gators.

Playoffs, smayoffs, they aren't a cure-all.

JLEW1818
1/3/2009, 12:58 AM
I was waiting for u CB, I know your anti-playoff... lol

Curly Bill
1/3/2009, 01:01 AM
I was waiting for u CB, I know your anti-playoff... lol

No I'm not, I just see that they're not the cure-all that some think they would be, and in fact would just create a separate set of problems.

They'd be no better, nor likely any worse then the current system, they'd just be different.

JLEW1818
1/3/2009, 01:03 AM
January 8th......:D :D :D :D

L-Boy
1/3/2009, 01:03 AM

I've publicly stated my support for it. Now the OU/UF winner will have a claim, USC will have a claim, TX, assuming they punk tOSU will have a claim, and now the friggin Utes.

Of course, some people prefer the fantasy of having a claim vs playing it out on the field.

DMAFB_Sooner08
1/3/2009, 01:08 AM
Yeah there also wouldnt be a 2 year layoff in between CCG and NCG...which really blows in my mind

RacerX
1/3/2009, 09:03 AM
Playoff. But to include the giant killers, not to inspire teams that can't get up for a game. Can't get up to play in the Sugar Bowl? **** that.

But more importantly, this extending the bowl season a week....SUCKS.

All of the games should be over by now.

ouwapiti
1/3/2009, 09:43 AM
i'm convinced.......that alabama wasnt as good as advertised......which, was my opinion all season

delhalew
1/3/2009, 10:04 AM
Only 2 teams have a claim to the national title. They're in the game. Last year I thought we deserved to be in the game more than LSU, but no game no arguement.

If they want to start building towards a playoff(+1, 4 teams, 8 teams, whatever), I wont cry. Until then anybody not in the big game can pizz off.

mehip
1/3/2009, 01:35 PM
I certainly want a playoff. But, I also think there is no excuses in football; Utah was the better team last night.

TXBOOMER
1/3/2009, 02:00 PM
Bama had a lot to play for. They were playing for maybe #2 ranking and momentum for next year, but most of all respect and national perception. They have a relatively young team and that win could have carried over. They got their as$es kicked by a team that wanted it more plain and simple. Football is game of emotion and will and if things are close athletically, the team that wants it the most wins more times than not. F Alabama excuses they got their a$$ kicked. I agree and think their should be a playoff. A plus one won't work. If we had that this year who gets in that SUC, Utah, texass?? It has to be a playoff.

Curly Bill
1/3/2009, 07:26 PM
Bama had a lot to play for. They were playing for maybe #2 ranking and momentum for next year, but most of all respect and national perception. They have a relatively young team and that win could have carried over. They got their as$es kicked by a team that wanted it more plain and simple. Football is game of emotion and will and if things are close athletically, the team that wants it the most wins more times than not. F Alabama excuses they got their a$$ kicked. I agree and think their should be a playoff. A plus one won't work. If we had that this year who gets in that SUC, Utah, texass?? It has to be a playoff.

Well, that's not really true.

StoopTroup
1/3/2009, 07:31 PM
See...the playoff deal. I see a bunch of folks at ESPN trying to be the ones who put it all together. There really isn't any need of them getting involved. It will all be aired (every game) on the Oprah Network. Pres. Obama already has a deal worked out with her. I heard it Hannity's Show.

raquetclub
1/3/2009, 07:35 PM
i'm convinced.......that alabama wasnt as good as advertised......which, was my opinion all season

Bama is not a well-rounded team. They run well and stop the run well.

Their all-world Olineman gets suspended, then another starter is injured and they have players out of position and all of a sudden they don't run well. Bama's does not have very good depth this year.

Utah hurries them up and catches their defense off-guard early, then JPW throwas a pick in Bama's redzone, and now Bama is in a situation where they need to play from far behind which is not their strength.

Bama was a double digit underdog to Florida when they had all of their starters and all of their motivation, they are not some juggernaut.

Some people talk about Utah as if they went to the Rose Bowl and beat USC handily.

1890MilesToNorman
1/3/2009, 07:36 PM
Color commentary by Larry King. Play by Play by Rosie O'Donnell.

success right there!

TXBOOMER
1/3/2009, 07:36 PM
Well, that's not really true.

Agree. A playoff doesn't solve it because Mack Brown would be crying if they were #9 and convince enough people to leave the worthy # 8 out and put them in. And # 17 would be way better than #12 and # 14 but wouldn't get in. A plus one wouldn't even come close to helping. Who out of SUC, Utah or texass would play the winner of OUr game? F it! Leave it the way it is. BOOMER SOONER!

oupride
1/3/2009, 11:06 PM
Playoff. But to include the giant killers, not to inspire teams that can't get up for a game. Can't get up to play in the Sugar Bowl? **** that.

But more importantly, this extending the bowl season a week....SUCKS.

All of the games should be over by now.

agree

sooneron
1/3/2009, 11:21 PM
I realize that this "if we beat so and so, big deal if we don't have a title", is a little pervasive these days, but it would be nice to field a team that doesn't want to lose no matter what.

olevetonahill
1/3/2009, 11:32 PM
If It aint Broke Dont fix it .
Oh wait, Its Been Broke fer a Long time :rolleyes:
What WE have Now is the Best available :P

Soonerfan88
1/3/2009, 11:33 PM
In the past two years, I've had a change of heart on this. Not because of whining over the BCS but because the bowls themselves are killing it for me. 34 bowl games!? Teams getting in at 6-6!? Many players no longer care about winning the game, just about enjoying the vacation & gifts. When I, a true fanatic, start losing my excitement for college football games, something is wrong.

I'm OK with an 8-team playoff but no more. The bigger issue is how to select the participants.

Only conference champions would advance to the play-offs, but you can't leave the conferences as is. Restructuring is absolutely necessary. Why? Because there needs to be equal numbers in the conferences and everyone using the same rules. My preference is 10 teams, with 9 conference games & 3 non-con (PAC-10). It eliminates the uneven scheduling of divisions & cuts out a week for those ridiculous CCGs. This basically means only 80 Div 1A schools. Want to increase the number of schools? Add a team to each conference and start eliminating non-con games. That means a max of 13 teams in 8 conferences giving you a limit of 104 teams in Div 1A. Sorry, a few of those bottom feeders are going to have to return to 1AA.

I'll let someone else argue about location of games. This is the biggest drawback for me. I've got a limited budget and basically spend my vacation time/money on bowl games. With a play-off, I now have to worry about traveling multiple times if I want to see the games live. Not sure there is a satisfactory answer for that issue.

olevetonahill
1/3/2009, 11:33 PM
I realize that this "if we beat so and so, big deal if we don't have a title", is a little pervasive these days, but it would be nice to field a team that doesn't want to lose no matter what.

If Yer team Dont WANT to WIN stay the **** Home .:rolleyes:

sooneron
1/3/2009, 11:58 PM
If Yer team Dont WANT to WIN stay the **** Home .:rolleyes:

Well, I've heard this excuse given the last two Fiesta bowls.

Curly Bill
1/4/2009, 12:00 AM
Well, I've heard this excuse given the last two Fiesta bowls.

Same here, and that's just what it was too: an excuse. :( :mad:

olevetonahill
1/4/2009, 12:25 AM
Same here, and that's just what it was too: an excuse. :( :mad:

If The Sooners LOse , Ill Paint My *** Blue and whatever other color those Gators use .;)
See Cause Excuses are Like *******s.:rolleyes:

Curly Bill
1/4/2009, 12:28 AM
If The Sooners LOse , Ill Paint My *** Blue and whatever other color those Gators use .;)
See Cause Excuses are Like *******s.:rolleyes:

Yup, no excuses, you either win or you lose, end of story.

westcoast_sooner
1/4/2009, 01:00 AM
I have to think that you are probably right. If this is a playoff game, Bama probably has a different mindset. After their previous games, a BCS bid was award enough for them I guess. I am a playoff proponent, however, as long as we still get BCS title bids, i'll enjoy it while it lasts.

IMO, Bama was in the same situation we were against Boise a couple of years ago - and fared worse. To be down 21-zip at the end of 1 (lots of things to be said about that, but that's for another time...) basically will have Saban's supporters in Tuscaloosa scratching their heads.

WRT a playoff - one of my neighbors said something that made some sense, at least in terms of the short term making a small playoff happen - that would undoubtedly grow over time.

What if, the four big conferences (Big 10/11, Pac-10, SEC and Big 12) all forced Championship games, then those champs had a 4 team playoff with the first round being held the week after the CCGs? The MNC game would happen as a part of the BCS, and losers of the 1st round games going to games against at-large opponents like Utah?

At least that kind of scenario provides a way to crown a champion - and the obvious outcry after a couple of years from the WAC/Mountain West/ACC etc. would be to include them.

Anyone?

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2009, 01:14 AM
What if, the four big conferences (Big 10/11, Pac-10, SEC and Big 12) all forced Championship games, then those champs had a 4 team playoff with the first round being held the week after the CCGs? The MNC game would happen as a part of the BCS, and losers of the 1st round games going to games against at-large opponents like Utah?

But what would the winner of the four-team playoff win? At that point the four conferences might as well break away and form their own athletic association.

westcoast_sooner
1/4/2009, 11:51 PM
Sorry - left that part out. The two winners would play in the MNC game, which would no longer be "mythical". The overall winner would be the National Champion.

goingoneight
1/5/2009, 12:25 AM
The current "system" is flawed, regardless of how much it *looks* like they have it right at this point in time.

The "system" has been kind to us when we really didn't deserve it in recent years to be honest. But it's been kind to LSU and Florida as well, just different outcomes.

Right now... as we speak... the BIG 12 North is 3-0 in post-season play while the BIG 12 South has a good chance of going 1-3 or perhaps winless.

Let me take you back a little bit and remind you that the BIG 12 South DOMINATED the BIG 12 North in nearly all contests this year, save the Baylor/Missouri types which the Bears still nearly pulled off. Even golden boy Chase Daniel lost to the likes of OSU.

The current "system" says the Pac 10 is the best conference... period. And because of the matchups the PAC 10 drew and won out in, their champ will once again argue for a share of OU or Florida's National Championship by next Friday. You know how that works out... you know they'll get it if the OB winner takes the title in a landslide. If you don't, remember 2003, long before TGWWDNSO and "the (other) streak."

The current "system" says the BIG 12 North is better than the BIG 12 South. The current "system" makes a big-assed deal about winning a bowl supposedly makes your season a success. Mmmkay... so 9-4 Nebraska beats coachless Clemson, they're going to have a better season than say, the "loser" in the National Championship game? If you don't think the current system creates that mindset, need I remind you the 2007 Insight.com Bowl "Champions" got not one hint of bad media the last five years while Oklahoma gets shredded for "choking" against Boise State at 13-0, USC in a National Championship, LSU in a National Championship and West Virginia, a team whose QB became the first in school history, and I believe in CFB history to go 4-0 in the post-season.

How does that joke go about OU and bowl games? Yeah, 6-6 teams spew that crap.

Now, for a moment, imagine the improbable 2006 BIG 12 Championship results in an oppurtunity to play for it all! You think OU's receivers are going to need their asses chewed out at halftime against Boise State to motivate them to win? You think OU's linemen are as likely to slack off during the holidays like they did last year before 48-28? Keep in mind that even with 6 starters out, that game had over 100 yards in line-play penalties, NTM they let Sam take a major beating that is just not characteristic of their ability. 100 yards in theory = 7 points. A few of those sacks resulted in punts or field goals... in theory, that's wasted oppurtunity as well. so we could have still given up 48 with the missing defensive starters... this much is true... maybe WVU was just that much better than us. Then again, maybe my eyes don't lie to me and that same WVU team struggled against Louisville and Marshall earlier in the year. Maybe my eyes didn't lie to me when I saw Pittsburg beat WVU. Were they REALLY that much better than us?

How long before we see Texas or someone else we really don't like benefit from the "system?" I mean, :les: getting into an MNC against an undeserving Ohio State team IN LSU TERRITORY was sickening enough. The fact that before Colt McCoy got injured in 2006, people were talking about a OSU/UT rematch for the MNC was pretty disgusting, too. YOU LOST 7-24!!! ON YOUR HOME FIELD! At least win your conference before you make such a claim.