PDA

View Full Version : Utah deserves to be the AP National Champs

ratedrsuperstar
1/2/2009, 11:40 PM
If they win the game tonight ! 13-0 with wins over TCU, BYU, Oregon State and Alabama deserve's a bone !!!!!!!

LitiG8R
1/2/2009, 11:43 PM
If they win the game tonight ! 13-0 with wins over TCU, BYU, Oregon State and Alabama deserve's a bone !!!!!!!

ummm wrong, sorry they do not

GottaHavePride
1/2/2009, 11:46 PM
Only undefeated team in the country and they just beat the #1 defense in the SEC. Might as well give them the AP poll.

Sadly, the AP is now meaningless since everyone agreed to the BCS.

GottaHavePride
1/2/2009, 11:47 PM
Only undefeated team in the country and they just beat the #1 defense in the SEC. Might as well give them the AP poll.

Sadly, the AP is now meaningless since everyone agreed to the BCS.

sendbaht
1/2/2009, 11:53 PM
I agree. "IF" there has to be a split NC Utah gets my vote!

SteelCitySooner
1/2/2009, 11:57 PM
Sure takes the wind out of USC sails :D :D :D

Sooner98
1/2/2009, 11:58 PM
http://www.ratemyeverything.net/image/2850/0/Morm-owned.ashx

soonervegas
1/2/2009, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't protest. It is amazing that an undefeated team could go to the sugar bowl and beat the 4th ranked team handily and not win a national title.

soonervegas
1/3/2009, 12:03 AM
I wouldn't protest. It is amazing that an undefeated team could go to the sugar bowl and beat the 4th ranked team handily and not win a national title.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2009, 12:23 AM
Wouldn't hurt my feelings if the Ute's got the AP crown. Since they come from a non-BCS conference, it would mean a lot to them compared to a BCS team.

KingBarry
1/3/2009, 12:39 AM

And isn't Utah the ONLY undefeated team? Hard to say they haven't earned something.

JLEW1818
1/3/2009, 12:41 AM
Just another reason why the system is sooooooooooo ****ed up....... JANUARY 8TH BITCHES BE READY!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOOMER SOONER

Hot Rod
1/3/2009, 12:44 AM
And isn't Utah the ONLY undefeated team? Hard to say they haven't earned something.

Plus, they've now beaten 3 top 15 teams.

Funky G
1/3/2009, 01:18 AM
agreed

Piware
1/3/2009, 03:15 AM
They deserve something. I wouldn't care if they got the AP NC and a nice trophy or something.

As it is now, they get a big box of Splenda - tastes like the real thing but it isn't.

the_ouskull
1/3/2009, 03:25 AM

I posted this in 04's thread. For the whole quote, go there... Here's a (Shaq to Kobe) taste...

I was thinking about this a little bit, too. Yeah, it sucks for Utah, but ya know what...? Play someone... If you're throwing out Oregon State (9-4, 3rd in their conference; known primarily for upsetting USC) and BYU (10-3, but only played one ranked team, Utah, and lost to them) as teams that merit your inclusion into the national championship club, then you're a bit disillusioned in regards to what it truly takes to win one.

the_ouskull

OU_Sooners75
1/3/2009, 04:16 AM

So beating an team 13-10 that lost to us 35-10 and then beating a very overrated Bama team shows us that they deserve the AP NC?

I think not.

The wins over Oregon State and BYU are decent wins, but nothing really that special. In case you missed it, Arizona waxed BYU and Oregon State could not score more than 3 points in their bowl win.

Alabama benefitted from a weak SEC West and a very weak OCC. The only real teams they played, they lost too.

TCU is a probably their best win. However, they could not score more than 13 against TCU!

I do not think Utah could hang with OU, USC, or Texas.

OU_Sooners75
1/3/2009, 04:18 AM
I posted this in 04's thread. For the whole quote, go there... Here's a (Shaq to Kobe) taste...

the_ouskull

For arguments sake...BYU lost to both TCU and Utah.

kevpks
1/3/2009, 05:25 AM
I'm just curious to see if they are ahead of USC in the final poll after all the hype about the trojans after the Rose Bowl.

Rocker
1/3/2009, 06:18 AM
Utah deserves to be the AP National Champs

Yes

batonrougesooner
1/3/2009, 07:26 AM
Change the logo on their helmets and they would be champs hands down.

OPSEC
1/3/2009, 09:50 AM
I would give them something just because.......

1) Undefeated trumps everything (according to the posts here)
Utah is only undefeated

but if e/b defeated then

2) whose got the worse loss (again, according to the posts/threads here)
Utah is STILL undefeated so screw you Trojans

but if e/b defeated and degree of loss is settled then

3) strength of schedule (again, accodring to the posts/threads here)
Utah is STILL undefeated BUT their SOS is mid-majorish, but defeats of 3 top 15's has to count for something (See the whinny horns)

which really becomes the sticky point as NOBODY agrees here so then

4) strength of conference (again, according to the post/threads here)
Sorry Utah you lose on this one, but then begs the question of the have and have nots and how do the have nots get into the mix.

Will all that said, I say top five and no lower as e/b who is ahead has one loss!

oupride
1/3/2009, 09:57 AM
You could be right.

StoopTroup
1/3/2009, 10:02 AM
This thread is an embarrassment.

I'm going to take the attitude that it was or should have been created so that all of us would know it was completely sarcastic.

bent rider
1/3/2009, 10:59 AM
Well, play someone

Well they did have the balls to take on Michigan in the Big House. Not their fault that Rich Rod has laid an egg there. That is the second time in the decade they played there, I think the last time they lost 13-10. Michigan and Oklahoma won't come to Salt Lake City. They didn't have any directional schools in their schedule. They risked playing all the D-1 teams in their state -- OSU and Oklahoma rarely risk playing Tulsa. This year they got Oregon State to come to SLC; in the recent past they have played at UCLA and at Oregon. They have played USC in a bowl game, and won (part of the current 8 bowl win streak). Can't ask them to schedule any more tougher, especially when most football scheduling is done years in advance, many "big name" teams won't risk playing them. Will OU drop talks with BYU (3rd in the MWC this year) and play Utah instead in Dallas??? We need a friggin playoff!!

batonrougesooner
1/3/2009, 11:14 AM
Utah's resume is strong enough this year that if they were any one of the major conference schools with the same schedule as Utah they would be a lock for a split AP title. Pretend they are USC or anyother Pac 10 school. A Pac 10 SOS is definitely no better than what Utah did.

I'm not an overnight Utah bandwagoner but you have to give credit where it's due.

sooner ngintunr
1/3/2009, 11:27 AM
Oklahoma rarely risk playing Tulsa.

played 'em 4 out of the last eight years, its OSU that won't schedule Tulsa.

1890MilesToNorman
1/3/2009, 11:33 AM
Only 2 teams have a shot at the MNC every year and Utah ain't one of them this year.

If ya don't like it work on fixing the system, yes the system sucks!

Kudos to the Ute's but no MNC. Sorry fellas!

VA Sooner
1/3/2009, 11:39 AM
Utah was impressive against Alabama... but Bama's been teetering on the edge all season with some close wins. I wasn't surprised by Florida taking on Bama in the SEC championship and mildly surprised by Utah's beat-down of Bama. It was going to happen.

Undefeated all season... definitely worthy of kudos. Beat OU, Florida, USC or Texas... tough to say.

Deserving of the AP title? Yes.

Deserving of the BCS title? No.

soonerfan28
1/3/2009, 12:04 PM
Utah = AP Champs

A-M
1/3/2009, 12:15 PM
Utah = AP Champs

NO!!!!

jkjsooner
1/3/2009, 02:01 PM
Utah's schedule is definitely tough enough to warrant serious consideration.

We need a playoff. Frankly, any system where about 50% of the teams have no chance at a national title before the season even starts is a joke.

I want to know what the bowls are paying the University presidents. Something fishy is going on and it isn't about academic concerns.

WileyCoyote
1/3/2009, 02:11 PM
Only 2 teams have a shot at the MNC every year and Utah ain't one of them this year.

If ya don't like it work on fixing the system, yes the system sucks!

Kudos to the Ute's but no MNC. Sorry fellas!

I don't want to take anything away from or diminish the accomplishments of the 'Utes' this year. They WON all their games and ended with a dominating, thorough, 'wood-shed' whipping of Bama. In spite of all the odds, pundits and naysayers. Fact = 13-0.

The rules are the rules: BCS Championship Game Winner = BCS Trophy. AP Poll Winner = AP Poll Champion.

You gotta be in the game, it may be a shame, but ya gotta be there to get "The Crystal".

Don't like it? Tough Sheestkie....change it.....(My personal preference vote is for change, but until that time I gotta live with the way it is.)

BOOMER !!!!!

budbarrybob
1/3/2009, 02:13 PM

:rolleyes:

badger
1/3/2009, 02:23 PM
Compromise:

OU wins Jan. 8 and it is an undisputed title for Oklahoma.

Florida wins Jan. 8 and it is a split title for Florida and Utah.

USC and Texas are nowhere in the equation, unless your name is Pete Carroll or Mack Brown.

Fair enough? ;)

Mile High Sooner
1/3/2009, 02:50 PM
Sure takes the wind out of USC sails :D :D :D

Exactly!
I too just luv the fact that Utah's victory took all the wind out of USuCk's "No one can beat us" sails and probably dropped them to 4 or 5 in the final poll. All the talking heads will now have Utah as the poor left out team deserving a shot at the BCS Title Game instead of Fexas or USuCk.

Desert Sapper
1/3/2009, 03:14 PM
I'm just glad somebody else lost a BCS Bowl to a mid-major. And this time it didn't take the best execution of trick plays in history.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/3/2009, 04:36 PM
Well they did have the balls to take on Michigan in the Big House. Not their fault that Rich Rod has laid an egg there. That is the second time in the decade they played there, I think the last time they lost 13-10. Michigan and Oklahoma won't come to Salt Lake City. They didn't have any directional schools in their schedule. They risked playing all the D-1 teams in their state -- OSU and Oklahoma rarely risk playing Tulsa. This year they got Oregon State to come to SLC; in the recent past they have played at UCLA and at Oregon. They have played USC in a bowl game, and won (part of the current 8 bowl win streak). Can't ask them to schedule any more tougher, especially when most football scheduling is done years in advance, many "big name" teams won't risk playing them. Will OU drop talks with BYU (3rd in the MWC this year) and play Utah instead in Dallas??? We need a friggin playoff!!

Agreed. It is like when Fresno State was really good a few years ago. They said they were willing to go play anyone anytime anywhere. But nobody wanted to take the risk of losing to them. People view the good mid-majors, ie. BYU, Utah, TCU, Boise St, as major programs and they don't want to and won't schedule them. The solution is to toss BYU, Boise, or Utah into the Pac-10, make it the Pac-12 and that would make the Pac-10 have a CCG. TCU is another problem because they don't really have a power conference to go to. But just because the big schools won't play you doesn't mean they sould get the shaft as far as a NC goes. They beat all comers and played the hand they were delt. Here is how you fix it, the winner of the BCS game gives Utah a call and says hey, you pick the field and we will "scrimmage" and see who is the best. Won't happen would be awesome

the_ouskull
1/3/2009, 04:58 PM
Well they did have the balls to take on Michigan in the Big House. Not their fault that Rich Rod has laid an egg there. That is the second time in the decade they played there, I think the last time they lost 13-10.

Make sure you know exactly when the Utah game was scheduled, then. Michigan has put up seven (7) seasons with three (3) or more losses since the year 2000 of our Lord. So, unless they scheduled that game in 1998, after Michigan's last (split) national championship, it's not like Utah was really breaking the bank. It sounds more like a (well) calculated risk, honestly... kinda like scheduling Notre Dame a few years ago. If you're smart, you saw it coming... Also, while we're discussing championships, Michigan's only won the Big 11 title outright once (once) since 2000. Yeah, they're not the powerhouse maize and blue of yesteryear... and Utah likely knew that when they scheduled them too.

Michigan and Oklahoma won't come to Salt Lake City. They didn't have any directional schools in their schedule. They risked playing all the D-1 teams in their state -- OSU and Oklahoma rarely risk playing Tulsa.

Michigan and Oklahoma don't HAVE to go to Salt Lake City. There's a difference. When a team has the status of an Oklahoma, they can pretty well do what they please, scheduling-wise. Also, when you're an Oklahoma, you sometimes wind up playing a "directional school" because another school dropped out on you rather than take their national television whoopin'. If it's not Utah's fault that "Rich Rod has laid an egg there," then it is surely also not Oklahoma's fault that a team decides last-minute that they can't make the trip, and we have to scramble to fill the date with whomever WILL come and take their paycheck, and their whoopin', with pride.

As for the "they risked playing all the D-1 teams in their state" argument... Call me when you live in California, Texas, Florida, or even an Oklahoma... not in freaking Utah. Yes, I AM saying that the state of football in the state of Utah is not quite what you, at least, make it out to be. Utah had a great season, no doubt. They beat everybody on their schedule. But, when one of the teams on said schedule, a team that you're bragging that they played, and about whom the following was said, "Next Utah had to go up to Utah State to take on the team who some consider to be the worst team in division 1-A," it is a bit damaging to your argument about "playing all of the in-state D-1 teams." You don't get a freaking trophy for working with charity cases (Utah State) or the handicapped, (BYU) you just do it because it's the right thing to do.

This year they got Oregon State to come to SLC; in the recent past they have played at UCLA and at Oregon.

The Oregon State's of the world, unlike the Oklahoma's, don't have a choice. Utah is a more high-profile team than Oregon State right now; at least scheduling / perception-wise. And, playing at UCLA and at Oregon, once again, isn't quite as impressive, depending on the year. Also, with a 2009 slate that includes powerhouses such as San Jose State, and (once again) Utah State, I'd slow down on that, "we'll play anyone, anywhere" business.

They have played USC in a bowl game, and won.

Must be nice.

Can't ask them to schedule any more tougher, especially when most football scheduling is done years in advance, many "big name" teams won't risk playing them.

Wait, what? First of all, while many would, I will NOT ignore the "more tougher" you dropped. Really? Are you sure that you can't schedule any more tougher-er? Second, and the reason that I actually started this section... Did I read you correctly? Were you actually taking (or rather, GIVING to Utah) credit for scheduling your bowl game against USC? Really?

And, sorry to burst your bubble, but, rather than just accept what someone says as gospel, I actually know my sh*t a little bit, and I'm going to go ahead and point out that your USC bowl win DID happen to occur in 2001 against a 6-5 USC squad. (6-6 afterwards...)[b]

Will OU drop talks with BYU and play Utah instead in Dallas?

[b]I don't know why we'd play anybody but Tejas in Dallas, so you're asking the wrong me.

the_ouskull

Eielson
1/3/2009, 05:03 PM

How does this mean they should be national champs? Oregon State is okay, but they lost to a bad Stanford team and got embarassed by Penn State and Oregon. Utah beat them by 3. Nothing about that says National Championship to me.

They won an extremely ugly game against TCU that they would have lost if TCU's kicker could have just make field goals. This is the TCU team that we were beating 35-3 heading into the 4th quarter before we basically called off our passing.

They beat BYU?! WHO CARES?!?! BYU might have lost to Washington if it weren't for one of the most controversial calls of the season. Yes, that Washington, the one that went 0-12, and believe it or not, was worse than Washington State. As if more needed to be said, they got whipped by TCU and lost to the #5 Pac-10 team in their bowl.

Oh, and Utah only beat Michigan by 2.

I'll admit that the Alabama win was impressive, but that is the only win all season that even halfway should give them consideration as one of the best teams in the nation. Even then, it was the runner up of the SEC and not even the champion.

Eielson
1/3/2009, 05:07 PM
Change the logo on their helmets and they would be champs hands down.

No, change the conference they play in and they would be national champs. Oh wait, then they would have to win more than one big game all year.