PDA

View Full Version : BCS Champ...

P3 Gator
1/2/2009, 11:19 PM
If Utah holds on to win, they're undefeated having won a BCS bowl. Do they deserve a part of the trophy?

birddog
1/2/2009, 11:21 PM
if i was a media member with a vote i wouldn't have any problems voting them #1.

GottaHavePride
1/2/2009, 11:21 PM
Sadly, no. They weren't in the championship game.

Just like USC did NOT win the championship in 03, no matter how often they claim it. LSU was in the game; they weren't.

tnraider1
1/2/2009, 11:26 PM
No, but they do deserve a shot in the semi finals.

catsigater
1/2/2009, 11:31 PM
They've got a better case than USC or Texas. And Nick Saban needs to return his Coach of the Year Trophy.

TXBOOMER
1/2/2009, 11:38 PM
Look at all of those sad Forrest Gump tide fans. BAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh your question...If OU wins no if we don't why not.

GottaHavePride
1/3/2009, 12:29 AM
The BCS championship goes to whoever wins the BCS title game. Utah isn't in that game.

They can have the AP poll, though.

Soonerus
1/3/2009, 12:31 AM
Utah beat an average Bama team...big deal...

sooner59
1/3/2009, 12:46 AM
If they could muster up an AP #1, more power to them. But since the BCS was formed, split-champions ceased to exist....no matter how much USC wants them to. The team that takes home the crystal ball is the champion. Its the system (not a good one) that is in place. Even though Utah had some great wins, its doubtful they go undefeated in the SEC, Big 12, Pac-10, or Big 10. Its possible they could have in the Big East or ACC, but who knows. These BCS seasons will have to continue for consecutive seasons for Utah (or any other mid-major conference team) in order for them to garner enough respect for them to be top 2 at season's end. Its sad, but true.

JLEW1818
1/3/2009, 12:50 AM
crystal ball = national title, zero debate.

No coach has 2 crystal balls, end of story, Bob or Urban will be the first

catsigater
1/3/2009, 12:55 AM
if i was a media member with a vote i wouldn't have any problems voting them #1.

Jumping them from 7th after they beat an uninspired bama team down to their 3rd string left tackle?

Not taking anything away from Utah, just trying to justify how you jump them up that far, if you thought they were #7 going in. Yes, they beat Bama, and PSU will and should fall, but if you have UF #1 and OU #2 going in, how do you not vote the BCS winner #1, unless you're trying to screw the BCS and do your part to force a championship? (Which would be ok.)

sooner59
1/3/2009, 01:09 AM
Jumping them from 7th after they beat an uninspired bama team down to their 3rd string left tackle?

Not taking anything away from Utah, just trying to justify how you jump them up that far, if you thought they were #7 going in. Yes, they beat Bama, and PSU will and should fall, but if you have UF #1 and OU #2 going in, how do you not vote the BCS winner #1, unless you're trying to screw the BCS and do your part to force a championship? (Which would be ok.)

Thats pretty much how I feel.

SoonerInFla
1/3/2009, 01:14 AM
Looking at the way they played tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if they get the AP Trophy.

Sooner98
1/3/2009, 01:17 AM
All props for tonight's game go to Utah, but they only beat New Mexico by THREE points. Sorry, but no NC for you!

yermom
1/3/2009, 01:29 AM
they are the flavor of the night

Monday, Texas will be getting slobbered on, if they win

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/3/2009, 01:32 AM
No coach has 2 crystal balls,

There is so a joke here somewhere, most probably involving Pete Carroll.

catsigater
1/3/2009, 01:34 AM
they are the flavor of the night

Monday, Texas will be getting slobbered on, if they win

True.

SoonerMom2
1/3/2009, 01:36 AM
All I can say is that our loss to Boise has less meaning tonight which suits me just fine. We lost by one point but look at BAMA who went undefeated until the met 'mighty' Florida (sarcasm) and BAMA who looked inept tonight. Think what OU would do in a conference like Utah is all that needs to be said. Mid majors are teams that will occasionally beat a team from a major conference but they don't play them week in and week out. Huge difference if they had to play OU, Texas, etc. in Conference play.

sooner ngintunr
1/3/2009, 01:41 AM

you're crazy.

#4 might not be a stretch. Unless saxet steps on it Monday, which would be stellar and fun to watch, 'till then I'm not putting Utah ahead of OU/uf, saxet, or SUC.

Bammer was a sqeaker all year long and finally got beat down by two quality opponents.

bent rider
1/3/2009, 01:50 AM
If Utah holds on to win, they're undefeated having won a BCS bowl. Do they deserve a part of the trophy?

They most definitely deserve a shot at it. Utah is 3-0 against BCS ranked teams. Florida is 2-1. Oklahoma is 5-1.

There MUST be a playoff. Honestly, Okla vs Florida will be, at best, a chance to find the best one-loss team (with the Texass fans still whining about their missed opportunity). Then the winner of that game should take a crack at the 13-0 undefeated team. Why not?? The winner of Fla-Okla would likely be favored, yes, but Alabama was favored by 9.5 over Utah in the SEC's own bowl game, yet they were soundly defeated.

We are missing a lot of good football match-ups with this crappy BCS system.

Curly Bill
1/3/2009, 01:57 AM
We are missing a lot of good football match-ups with this crappy BCS system.

Like those great playoff match-ups the NFL is giving us? :rolleyes:

SoonerInFla
1/3/2009, 02:46 AM
Like those great playoff match-ups the NFL is giving us? :rolleyes:

Or the great matchups we had before the BCS where the conference champs were locked into certain bowls.