PDA

View Full Version : Just wandering, how many of y'all here are still in college?

SPuL
1/2/2009, 10:53 PM
Just curious. Anyone here who currently attends OU? Thinking bout transferring.

Anyways, I currently go to UMass Boston. First two semesters and I got a 3.91 GPA. and instead of being proud, I'm concerned. It's no secret that UMass Boston isn't the best of schools. Probably in the 250-350 range of schools. But I mean, this feels like it's high school to me. I mean, EASIER than high school. So instead of being happy, I'm actually growing worried that the education I'm receiving here won't prepare me for my graduate studies.

I'm looking at Stanford, Harvard, or Columbia for a Journalism masters. And the workload for UNDERGRADS is said to be real heavy. So imagine for grad students.

The homework takes me less than an hour to finish for ALL my classes. I had to study harder in high school. I don't know.

Oklahoma on the other hand is a top 100 school, and it has my favorite sports team. Soo that puts it up there at #2 on my list behind Stanford.

So if anyone who currently goes here, or even if you attended it before, could just fill me in on your personal experience. The pros and mostly the cons.

thankss

SoonerStormchaser
1/2/2009, 11:27 PM
There's a mythical poster on this board who's been at Baylor since the dawn of time...

Again, he's purely mythical.

A Sooner in Texas
1/2/2009, 11:32 PM
SPul, if you're that concerned about how easy it is at UMass, that's a pretty good sign you need to find a place that will better fill your needs. I didn't attend OU, but I know plenty of people who got very good educations there and went on to be successful in their chosen fields. Sounds like you've been doing some research and you should keep checking out other schools as well just to make sure you cover the bases.
Another plus would be the lower cost of living in OK vs. Mass. Don't know about the tuition costs, though.

Good luck!

Mjcpr
1/3/2009, 12:11 AM
Most any school will teach you the proper use of wandering/wondering.

Frozen Sooner
1/3/2009, 12:16 AM
Near as I can tell, graduate schools don't particularly care where you did your undergrad so long as your grades are there, your test scores are there, and your essays are good.

In fact, near as I can tell most grad schools don't particularly care about your undergraduate grades nearly as much as they care about your test scores from an admissions standpoint. Scholarships are another matter, of course.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/3/2009, 12:41 AM
OU has a pretty decent journalism school, and their grad program is on the up-and-up. One of my degrees is from there. Finish at UMass-Boston then look into the GAYLORD College of Journalism and Mass Communication.

http://www.ou.edu/gaylord/home/Audience/graduate_students.html

King Crimson
1/3/2009, 12:47 AM
In fact, near as I can tell most grad schools don't particularly care about your undergraduate grades nearly as much as they care about your test scores from an admissions standpoint.

that's not true, at least in a social sciences/Comm/SJMC type department. it's true for the LSAT. I was on a review committee for the U of Colorado program in organizational communication...a few years ago. and it's one of the top 5 programs in that sub-discipline in the US. they send a lot of people into tenure jobs at graduation and high money consulting due to the strength of the faculty.

i had access to faculty salaries, grad student (both MA and Doc) GPA's and GRE's and i was stunned how low some of the GRE's were. and how low faculty salaries were.

Harvard doesn't even offer an MA in Journalism that isn't through it's "extended curriculum" campus, to my knowledge.

you aren't going to learn to write in j-school, i'll tell you that.

there's something about this that doesn't seem right. you would have to study harder than an hour to get into one of the schools you are talking about.

Kels
1/3/2009, 12:57 AM
Unless you're pursuing one of the engineering/hard science majors at OU, you're not going to freak out studying and preparing assignments for an undergraduate degree here. Community and atmosphere should be considerations in a transfer too, as well as paying out-of-state tuition to OU.

This imho from being a part of the OU community for the past 18 years as a student and now working with students on campus. OU is a great place to be. Mizzou has a good journalism school too.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/3/2009, 01:17 AM
Also, if you're looking at journalism graduate schools, take a look at out Mizzou, Northwestern, or UNC-Chapel Hill. All three are outstanding. You're on the right track with Columbia. They have a stellar program, which is ironic considering it was founded largely on a legacy of shoddy practices, yellow journalism, and negotiable ethics at best. Don't get suckered into getting your heart set on the Harvards and Stanfords just because of the name-brand appeal. Do some good research based on the ranking of the particular program, what you want to study, and why you want to study it.

Frozen Sooner
1/3/2009, 01:28 AM
that's not true, at least in a social sciences/Comm/SJMC type department. it's true for the LSAT. I was on a review committee for the U of Colorado program in organizational communication...a few years ago. and it's one of the top 5 programs in that sub-discipline in the US. they send a lot of people into tenure jobs at graduation and high money consulting due to the strength of the faculty.

i had access to faculty salaries, grad student (both MA and Doc) GPA's and GRE's and i was stunned how low some of the GRE's were. and how low faculty salaries were.

Harvard doesn't even offer an MA in Journalism that isn't through it's "extended curriculum" campus, to my knowledge.

there's something about this that doesn't seem right. you would have to study harder than an hour to get into one of the schools you are talking about.

Fair enough.

SPuL
1/3/2009, 01:47 AM
Near as I can tell, graduate schools don't particularly care where you did your undergrad so long as your grades are there, your test scores are there, and your essays are good.

In fact, near as I can tell most grad schools don't particularly care about your undergraduate grades nearly as much as they care about your test scores from an admissions standpoint. Scholarships are another matter, of course.

Yea, I gotta agree that's true. As long as you keep the GPA good, then nail the GRE. I have a history professor who graduated from UMass Boston, and she went to Brown for graduate school. So I mean, it is possible.

OU has a pretty decent journalism school, and their grad program is on the up-and-up. One of my degrees is from there. Finish at UMass-Boston then look into the GAYLORD College of Journalism and Mass Communication.

http://www.ou.edu/gaylord/home/Audience/graduate_students.html

Yea, man. I definitely think I will put OU on my list.

Nah, see the thing is. I don't mind putting in the time. Like for some classes, like anthropology. OMG i hated it. But it was tough for me. So that took so long. Also studying for tests takes awhile. It's just I mean on the weekly basis for regular homework. Nothing.

but yea, I'm currently majoring in English. Minoring in creative writing.And I love writing. Don't mean to brag or anything, but I'd def say my writing is my strongest point. Ever since I started doing music that must have improved my writing. Because I went from getting all A's and a B- in English in high school, to A in English and other grades not too good lol But I love writing. Write for my school newspaper. I'm working on a few TV show screenplays. Short stories, etc. I could spend a whole day writing. It just helps relax you.

Also, if you're looking at journalism graduate schools, take a look at out Mizzou, Northwestern, or UNC-Chapel Hill. All three are outstanding. You're on the right track with Columbia. They have a stellar program, which is ironic considering it was founded largely on a legacy of shoddy practices, yellow journalism, and negotiable ethics at best. Don't get suckered into getting your heart set on the Harvards and Stanfords just because of the name-brand appeal. Do some good research based on the ranking of the particular program, what you want to study, and why you want to study it.

True, I heard about UNC. But yea, I don't know about Harvard, but Stanford has a good masters program for journalism man. They had a list of a lot of ESPN/ABC/CBS journalists who graduated from there. Gotta go find it.

But I mean Stanford's always been my dream school since I was little. So i mean one factor besides the education also needs to be "Will I enjoy the place?" Because if it's a great school in a horrible location. I wouldn't be too happy and it could interfere with my work. Where as I've been to Stanford, and WOW, it's amazing man. I saw it when i was little and it's just surreal. Plus, not to mention that's my favorite college basketball team and they are #1 in OVERALL sports.

so that's like a sport's journalists dream. Even if they kick me down to a women's sport, they'll most likely be top ranked in that too. and that helps.

Right now I write for women's soccer, women's basketball, men's tennis. Women's soccer I chose for obvious reasons (:cool:) and surprisingly they were good so it was fun. Women's basketball, they're 1-11. So it SUCKS trying to spin that into a positive. Men's tennis last yr were like 3-11. MEn's basketball 2-21. It just sucks lol

SPuL
1/3/2009, 01:48 AM
But damn seems like a lot of the posters on here already graduated college? Where are the youngsters at! ~_~

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/3/2009, 02:11 AM
So i mean one factor besides the education also needs to be "Will I enjoy the place?"

You WILL enjoy Norman. Small-town feel, but close enough to a mid-major metropolitan area, and if you REALLY need to get your big city jollies, Dallas is 3 hours down the road. Norman's a great place to live/work/go to school, but if you're used to the East Coast definition of "college town," the midwestern definition of "college town" will be a bit different.

Where as I've been to Stanford, and WOW, it's amazing man. I saw it when i was little and it's just surreal.

The Bay Area is pretty spectacular, but to me, the whole California Experience is overrated and expensive. Unless money is ZERO object, I just don't see the logic in putting yourself through a pricey private school like that when you can get the same, if not a better, education somewhere else for a lot less.[/QUOTE]

Plus, not to mention that's my favorite college basketball team and they are #1 in OVERALL sports.

You want to be a sportswriter? Come to Norman! We have Top-5 programs right now in the three most popular and most revenue-generating sports. NCAAF, NCAAM, and NCAAW are all smokin' beats to write/report on. Oh, and our men's gymnastics team ain't no slouch, either. We have more NC's in that sport than Alabama does in football. Yes, it's possible, and yes, we've done it.

SPuL
1/3/2009, 04:17 AM
You WILL enjoy Norman. Small-town feel, but close enough to a mid-major metropolitan area, and if you REALLY need to get your big city jollies, Dallas is 3 hours down the road. Norman's a great place to live/work/go to school, but if you're used to the East Coast definition of "college town," the midwestern definition of "college town" will be a bit different.

True, the only thing that might kill me over on the west side is that weather. lol It gets up to 130 in the summer I heard right? Over up in the northeast, anything in 90's is seen as really hot. But I mean, I would be glad to avoid this horrible northeastern winter weather. I hate the snow.

The Bay Area is pretty spectacular, but to me, the whole California Experience is overrated and expensive. Unless money is ZERO object, I just don't see the logic in putting yourself through a pricey private school like that when you can get the same, if not a better, education somewhere else for a lot less.

True, but it's like how you know how there are those 5 star recruits who could probably start wherever they went. But then they end up going to their dream school that probably won't even contend for their conference championship, let alone the national championship. I mean, I can't even explain how amazing the campus was. Went on a tour there. It's just structured nicely, awesome landscape. Just something bout that place lol

You want to be a sportswriter? Come to Norman! We have Top-5 programs right now in the three most popular and most revenue-generating sports. NCAAF, NCAAM, and NCAAW are all smokin' beats to write/report on. Oh, and our men's gymnastics team ain't no slouch, either. We have more NC's in that sport than Alabama does in football. Yes, it's possible, and yes, we've done it.

Yea, thing is though those sports would be handled by the more experienced writers. I know how it works here in my campus, I came in last year as a freshmen. And I got to choose from what was remaining after the other's picked. Same this year. So I got stuck with the lower sports. So I'm sure there are TONS lining up to cover the Sooners football team. And same with basketball, mens and womens.

Although, I don't know if they'd have more than one reporter for each sport since Oklahoma is D1, and I've only experienced DIII lol

Vaevictis
1/3/2009, 04:33 AM

It depends entirely on the individual program, according to my experience. I've been accepted to (and recently graduated from) both the ECE and MBA programs at OU.

The ECE department didn't really give a crap about my grades or my test scores. I had a sub-3.0 undergraduate GPA, and mediocre GRE scores. But I was in because (1) all the professors who made admissions decisions knew me (not an accident), and (2) one of the professors had a position he needed to fill in an area I had worked on for my capstone, and I knocked it out of the park on the final presentation with him in attendance.

(IOW, when dealing with a research oriented program, one thing will almost trump all other concerns: can you deliver quality product, on a deadline, when involved with a funded research project? If you have a professor who wants you on his/her team, you can get in pretty easily on even marginal metrics.)

The MBA program I simply met admissions requirements and I was in. No fuss, no muss.

jage
1/3/2009, 01:25 PM
Well, I'm at my last semester at OU this spring for my bachelors in Computer Engineering, a minor in Math, and a minor in Computer Science. I've loved OU from beginning to end, and in my opinion, is very under-rated in the engineering and sciences departments.

The reason I'm responding is because my wife was going getting her Journalism degree from OU for a couple of semesters. She originally came here from San Diego, CA for Meteorology, but found out that was probably one of the hardest degrees to get. From her experience and my listening to her, journalism here won't be much harder than at Boston...it's a joke for the most part. You'll find yourself surrounded by dumb middle class sorority girls who are just getting a degree to make their parents happy. Needless to say, my wife switched out of that major real fast.

If you're looking for a major where you have to study more, I don't think Journalism is it. OU's journalism program and atmosphere is still very good, I just don't see journalism as a hard major. The new journalism building is very cool though.

So in conclusion, OU has a growing journalism program with lots of really nice facilities at hand, but don't expect it to be a hard major.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/4/2009, 09:24 AM
If your goal is to get into a top ranked grad program - in any discipline - and you attend a university that is not selective, you need to distinguish yourself. Certainly grades and standardized test scores help do that, but....

try to find an undergraduate research opportunity in which you work with a professor..... maybe even get listed as a co-author on a paper presented at a conference and/or published in a professional journal.

Top-ranked grad schools understand there are diamonds-in-the-rough at non-selective universities. Do something to shine.

OU_PhD
1/4/2009, 01:56 PM
I teach in the University of California system and I can't wait to move back to Oklahoma. I don't care if I have to teach at Rose State or OCCC, this place is just not worth the $$$. There is no value here and the supposed cultural advantages are not nearly what they're cracked up to be.

Al Gore
1/4/2009, 01:58 PM
KU Jayhawk!!!!!

Partial Qualifier
1/4/2009, 03:00 PM
Considered a career in songwriting? :D

John Kochtoston
1/4/2009, 03:50 PM
Just a bit of advice from someone who's been in the field...
A grad degree in Journalism is pretty useless, unless you want to teach. Work for someone for a couple of years, while getting a MBA, JD, MIS or something else degree.

SPuL
1/4/2009, 07:25 PM
^really man? You think since I'm majoring in english and minoring in creative writing I should maybe just go with the masters in english?

My goal of course is to have a column on ESPN. I.e. Rick Reilly or Bill Simmons. But it's no secret that ESPN HEAVILY censors simmons articles and he's grown frustrated. So my goal would be get on ESPN, get exposure, get some followers. Then branch out to another place to write for that gives me more freedom and hopefully the followers stay lol

that or to write for one of my favorite pro teams (Kings, Mariners, or Jaguars).

If your goal is to get into a top ranked grad program - in any discipline - and you attend a university that is not selective, you need to distinguish yourself. Certainly grades and standardized test scores help do that, but....

try to find an undergraduate research opportunity in which you work with a professor..... maybe even get listed as a co-author on a paper presented at a conference and/or published in a professional journal.

Top-ranked grad schools understand there are diamonds-in-the-rough at non-selective universities. Do something to shine.

That's good advice man. Right now I'm also trying to get into a co-op at the Boston Globe. I live like 2 mins away from their. I mean that would be huge. Then like you said with co-author on research.

Considered a career in songwriting? :D

LOL if something happened with it I wouldn't mind man. It's just I can't afford to put all my eggs in that basket as of now. Appreciate it tho!

John Kochtoston
1/4/2009, 10:22 PM
^really man? You think since I'm majoring in english and minoring in creative writing I should maybe just go with the masters in english?

Nope. I think, if you're going to get an advanced degree, you should get one in business, government, public administration, law, etc. A degree in MIS or e-commerce would be particularly helpful in this day and age. If you're bound and determined to be a sports writer, maybe education, sports administration or sports business. Having advanced knowledge in an area will give you a leg up when trying to write about that area.

You'll know all a school can really teach you about writing for an audience, style, etc. with a bachelor's. The rest is just practice. And, column inches are column inches. Don't be shy about interning or working part-time for a small newspaper or website, covering preps or a small college. It's good writing practice, and can also help you figure out how to cover a beat.

Best of luck. Getting a grad degree is probably a really good idea right now, untill the newspaper business figures itself out.

SPuL
1/4/2009, 10:39 PM
^exactly man. I agree with that. And yea, I currently write for my college newspaper. The teams suck, but it's been a good experience. I've also down a few opinion pieces. One on why I hate Boston sports, and one on the whole Brett Farve thing.

But another thing, already I'm about to finish my second year of college. After this semester I will only have 5 more english courses to take to complete my major in english.

Would I be able to still major in English as an undergrad then go into sports business for my graduate studies? I don't know if they'd allow that since I'd have no business classes taken in my undergrad.

Also, I couldn't really switch majors without having to spend an extra two years or so to get my undergrad degree

GottaHavePride
1/4/2009, 11:36 PM
If you were looking at a Masters in Sports Management the best course is to find a school offering that degree (Texas Tech has that program). TTU's website lists the curriculum required for that degree - classes in research methods, sports psychology, marketing, law, ethics, etc. But they don't list any prerequisites. Might want to get in touch with people at individual schools you're considering to find out what they want.

In some cases, you might be pretty lost if your bachelor's isn't in a related field (say, physics comes to mind) - but I don't think something like sports management is one of those.

www.gradschools.com is a decent way to find programs you're looking for to start your research.

SPuL
1/5/2009, 01:30 AM
^thanks man. And yea, I don't know I most probably will just end up with a grad degree in English. Gives me many options.

I love writing. So English, I have a lot of classes studying famous poets, playwrights, short story writers, etc. Then with my creative writing minor, I take a lot of classes in the art of it. And recently I've begun brainstorming and doing work on a TV show I plan on writing. Got a pretty rough idea of the pilot, and the main arcs for the first season.

So basically my main steady job I'd want would be in journalism. As a sports editor somewhere. But then I also will be working on screenplays, short stories. And then I plan on writing a book (whenever I get to witness my first sports championship for one of my teams). I plan on doing a sports book about being a sports fan. Got lot of hard to take tales, then want to capture the experience of witnessing that first one. lol

But yea, I just know I want it to be in writing man. I could spend a whole day writing.

here's an article I did last year about why I hate Boston fans, if anybody cared to see:

http://media.www.umassmedia.com/media/storage/paper445/news/2008/02/18/Sports/Dont-Be.Sore.Losers.Boston-3214668.shtml

I appreciate all comments. :D

Tulsa_Fireman
1/5/2009, 07:22 PM
i hav all a's in english and I love writing lol But I want to stop going to tulsa community college ever since I saw that writing music since the time I attended brown lol because ever since we get As and a B-?

lol haha ha ffarthohoho

What do I win, Monty?

John Kochtoston
1/6/2009, 01:01 PM
Since you're still in your second year, you've got plenty of time to finish your English degree and take a few classes outside of your major.

I'm not saying that your undergrad degree in English isn't valuable. Far from it, especially in journalism. I just doubt that an advanced degree in English would help as much as a masters in some other field.

JDs don't require any specific undergrad degree, and I don't think MBA schools do either, though they do require math through calc (I think you can also take the math classes during your first year of MBA school, but I won't swear to it). In fact, I think there are a ton of masters degrees that don't require a specific undergrad degree.

Also, journalism is going through a really rough period right now, more so than most professions. I think it will emerge from it at some point, and quality content will once again drive the beast. It wouldn't hurt to get a Master's degree in a fall-back career to tide you over, though.

SPuL
1/6/2009, 01:06 PM
^true man. And as for taking classes outside my major. I can do that HOWEVER, I can't take any business classes. (Ecomomics, marketing, management, etc). Those are only there for the management majors to take.

But yea, I definitely hear ya. I was gonna be sitting down with my advisor before the semester. Gotta throw this into the discussion.

John Kochtoston
1/6/2009, 01:15 PM
Thing about English, or journalism, is that you can really study on your own. Interested in a writer, or some such? Just pick up one of his books, or a book about him.

SPuL
1/6/2009, 04:01 PM
Yea, man, that's true. I just wanna do something in writing. And I mean, if I go far in my graduate degree with English or such. It'd be possible to get a job as a teacher on one of those subjects at a top university. And they'd pay well enough for you to live comfortably.

And that could be good while I focus on my other writing aspirations. (Screenplay, novels, short stories, etc)

But I mean, I got a ways to go before I'll be there.

A lot of people don't even know what they want to do for sure till near the end of their ug studies

SPuL
1/6/2009, 04:02 PM
Yea, man, that's true. I just wanna do something in writing. And I mean, if I go far in my graduate degree with English or such. It'd be possible to get a job as a teacher on one of those subjects at a top university. And they'd pay well enough for you to live comfortably.

And that could be good while I focus on my other writing aspirations. (Screenplay, novels, short stories, etc)

A lot of people don't even know what they want to do for sure till near the end of their ug studies

proud gonzo
1/6/2009, 05:14 PM
i'm a grad student at OU. it's a good fit for me.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, but a tic-tac box would also be a good fit for you.

Because you're tiny.

Small.

King Crimson
1/6/2009, 06:24 PM

this is the truth, now. the job market to teach as a professor at a "top university" is incredibly competitive. i mean like 1 tenure track job per 30 PhD's type competitive. in order to get a job like that, it's a full time 7 day a week/24 hour gig. there's a wild misconception that teaching is a 6 hour a week job....nothing is farther from the truth. the actual in class time is about 5% of what you actually do and i mean both in terms of prep, planning, grading, organizational BS, babysitting the students on email, office hours, etc.....AND the stuff you have to do to "get" and "keep" that job in terms of committee work, university service, and publication.

if you want to get paid comfortably by teaching in college, it's almost impossible to think that's the crutch job you'll use for your real stuff. it's not feasible to think that way--there aren't the jobs out there and there aren't 60 hours in a day. not at a research 1 university or any mid to upper tier school.

there was an article in the NY Times about 4 years ago showing statistically that given student populations there are fewer jobs in the humanities and social sciences than at any time since WW I, IIRC.

if you want to teach part time (1 or 2 classes--about 25-30 hours a week per class) at a college (also, difficult jobs to get with any job security reaching into the future more than a semester at a time or a year in advance with no benefits and criminally low pay)....that's an option but you'll have to make a monastic commitment to your art to live on about 20,000$ a year, no benefits, and keep cruising along.

English, of almost all the disciplines in the Humanities, is the one at "top universities" driven by pedigree of degrees....since they don't have things like statistical determinations and systems of selection like the LSAT. it's all prestige. from what you say....and there will certainly be a hostility towards your desire to write sports (which will NOT be seen as "serious" writing")...that will be a disadvantage.

i think you should skip the "teach college" part of the plan--because, outside the most exceptional of circumstances, it's not realistic in the way you frame it. you are better off getting your double degree in English and Journalism and finding a sports oriented MA type situation where (ideally) they offer you some money to get the grad degree and give you a stipend or teaching assignment to free you up from $$$ demands--that's where you get the time for "your stuff". for instance, i know Arizona State and NYU have sports media MA's of some kind. build a portfolio of work, make connections in your local media, and hit the market. If it were me, i'd really hit the "sports economics" angle....that's a really developing area of both fan interest and a major player in the spectacle economy....and it's marketable. where there's money, there's jobs.

the way the university is now and the transitioning state of "tenure" (utterly abused and then destroyed by the baby boomer generation of profs who won't retire since their 401k's and stocks took a big hit in 2001 and again now so they are leaving a scorched earth in the profession to guarantee their "quality of life")....you might expect to "start living comfortably" with enough time for side projects (the real stuff) when you are about 55, at best. which doesn't sound like your 'endgame'.

OUAlumni1990
1/6/2009, 10:30 PM
I graduated in 1990 from the Mechanical Engineering school at OU. I have to admit, my degree from OU has been good to me. I would recommend the engineering school at OU to anyone who was crazy enough to pursue such a profession.:)

proud gonzo
1/6/2009, 11:02 PM

Because you're tiny.

Small.bite me, thunderbutt

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2009, 11:44 PM
bite me, thunderbutt

I would, but your protruding, bladelike bones would end up cutting my mouth.

Vaevictis
1/7/2009, 01:35 PM

Because you're tiny.

Small.

That's what she said :(

Vaevictis
1/7/2009, 01:43 PM
Listen to King Crimson on teaching at the university level. He knows of what he speaks.

There's a high probability of your busting your *** on the PhD, making peanuts all the while, and finding yourself unable to secure a tenure-track position.

This leaves you nearing or past 30, with a hugely advanced degree and an inability to pursue your chosen profession, other than on the fringes at a community college or in a high school. You will have worked hard, spent your youth, worked for peanuts, possibly have school debt, and you won't even have a career started to show for it.

There's only one reason to go for a university job in most fields: You love the field so much that you're willing to be the equivalent of a "starving artist" to pursue it. If you love it that much, go for it.

I've said it before about PhD's in engineering and the sciences -- anyone capable of earning a PhD in one of these fields is capable of running the numbers and finding it doesn't pay. You may not be able to do the math (I don't know), but it's even worse in the arts.

King Crimson
1/7/2009, 01:56 PM
yeah, they don't hand out the teaching jobs because you look good in a turtleneck or read a lot of books.

King Crimson
1/7/2009, 02:02 PM
there also enough "wandering" and "their/there's" in this whole string....trolling? a new sic em?

i just wonder.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/7/2009, 07:29 PM
But he's an English major!

You just doa'nt knoe inglish.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2009, 07:31 PM
yeah, they don't hand out the teaching jobs because you look good in a turtleneck or read a lot of books.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't do either. :p

King Crimson
1/7/2009, 09:43 PM
Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't do either. :p

ain't no thang. won't need a t-neck in warm-weather Tuscaloosa and your attitude as per "reading for pleasure" will be all different a year from now when reading is "the enemy" or at minimum the means of production, as it were.

i predict a sharp upturn in mindless video entertainment and a downturn in reading for pleasure. :texan:

swardboy
1/7/2009, 10:23 PM
i predict a sharp upturn in mindless video entertainment and a downturn in reading for pleasure. :texan:

The bitter truth...