PDA

View Full Version : Alabama's vaunted SEC defense

GottaHavePride
1/2/2009, 10:50 PM
OK, Alabama is the #1 total defense in the SEC.

So far they have given up 282 yards passing to mighty Utah.

If Utah had a ground game that could manage more than 13 yards, they'd be running away with this thing.

Yo, Gator fans! You people only managed to beat Bammer by one freakin' point? With Tebow's passing skills you should have pasted them by about 3 touchdowns.

catsigater
1/2/2009, 10:52 PM

If Utah had a ground game that could manage more than 13 yards, they'd be running away with this thing.

Yo, Gator fans! You people only managed to beat Bammer by one freakin' point? With Tebow's passing skills you should have pasted them by about 3 touchdowns.

UF* beat bama 31-20

Panamag8or
1/2/2009, 10:53 PM

We actually beat them by 11... but hey, whatever.

GottaHavePride
1/2/2009, 10:56 PM
My apologies - you beat Bama by eleven.

Utah is up by eleven right now with only 13 yards rushing. What gives?

OklahomaTuba
1/2/2009, 11:01 PM
Like Barry said, Bama wants to play in Miami, Utah wants to play New Orleans.

tulsaoilerfan
1/2/2009, 11:24 PM
No win situation for Bama, and same with Texas Tech today; teams that lose their only game very late in the season usually look like crap in their Bowl games

chad
1/2/2009, 11:34 PM
No win situation for Bama, and same with Texas Tech today; teams that lose their only game very late in the season usually look like crap in their Bowl games
Yup, similar situation with the BSU game a few years ago.

OU felt the got the short stick by playing BSU. While the never said it publicly, most OU fans felt that way, and the players I spoke with felt the same. This is a trap game just like it was with us. You'd think though, that Bama would be more prepared for it given what happened to us.

I do think Bama got their game together much quicker than OU did, and are now just being outplayed by Utah. Something we didn't see when OU turned it on. It took the painfully slow start and game ending trick plays to beat OU that day. Today, it is just taking a solid game to beat Bama.

Hot Rod
1/2/2009, 11:40 PM
UF* beat bama 31-20

Right now, Utah has 31 on them as well.

Sooner_Havok
1/2/2009, 11:55 PM
Hey SECers, if you win as a conference, do you lose as a conference? Where were the chants of SEC after the game?

On a side note, an unbalanced spread just lit up a God-like SEC defense, supposedly one of the best of the Jesus conference, err, SEC had to offer.

What will a balanced OU spread attack do to another Zeus conference defense?

TXBOOMER
1/3/2009, 12:02 AM
Is there shame in Tech getting beat by Ole Miss? Didn't Ole Miss beat Florida in Gainesville? Utah is good, they dominated Alabama. But whatever! F that Sugar Bowl! It has nothing to do with OUr game.

SoonerBacker
1/3/2009, 12:12 AM
Is there shame in Tech getting beat by Ole Miss? Didn't Ole Miss beat Florida in Gainesville? Utah is good, they dominated Alabama. But whatever! F that Sugar Bowl! It has nothing to do with OUr game.

You're absolutely right. These games have nothing to do with what will happen in Miami on Thursday. But it seems that the SEC crowd (and an occassional Hokie Fan) enjoy comparing scores of opponents when it "proves" the superiority of the SEC and that the Gators will crush the Sooners.. As a result, many Sooner fans have taken up their game when it doesn't play into their hands.

I may be wrong, but I think that the vast majority of Sooner fans who are doing this are attempting to show the stupidity of comparative score keeping.

L-Boy
1/3/2009, 12:23 AM
No excuses from me. Bama sucked it up plain and simple. An embarrassment for the SEC.

This D wasn't quite what it was built up to be, and I said that before the SEC championship. GA rolled up quite a few points on them in 1 half, LSU ran over 200 yds against them.

As to the assertion that UF will be similarly befuddled by a "balanced spread" - people may want to remember that the Gators run a spread, and on rare occasion the offense might practice against the defense, and the O and D coaching staff on occasion might actually communicate.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/3/2009, 12:25 AM
I may be wrong, but I think that the vast majority of Sooner fans who are doing this are attempting to show the stupidity of comparative score keeping.

And we have a winner!!!

sozo
1/3/2009, 12:28 AM
Yup, similar situation with the BSU game a few years ago.

OU felt the got the short stick by playing BSU. While the never said it publicly, most OU fans felt that way, and the players I spoke with felt the same. This is a trap game just like it was with us. You'd think though, that Bama would be more prepared for it given what happened to us.

I do think Bama got their game together much quicker than OU did, and are now just being outplayed by Utah. Something we didn't see when OU turned it on. It took the painfully slow start and game ending trick plays to beat OU that day. Today, it is just taking a solid game to beat Bama.

Good post.

GrapevineSooner
1/3/2009, 12:30 AM

No, you've got me pegged. :D

It's especially stupid when you start a thread based on Ole Miss's win over Texas Tech about how much defenses in the Big 12 suck, then ignore the results of the Sugar Bowl where Alabama's vaunted defense gets rolled for 31 against Utah.

Not sure what these Big Southern Dummies refer to that as, but around here, that's called 'you're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.'

This is going to come down to Oklahoma and Florida. The results of the Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Gator Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl won't factor one iota into the outcome of the BCS National Championship Game.

And I feel pretty good about my team's chances six nights from now. I don't begrudge any Gator fan for feeling the same about their team.

landrun
1/3/2009, 12:44 AM
I think the media contributes to the score comparisons by saying things like 'Oklahoma hasn't seen a defense like Florida's all year...'

Which I think is nonsense.

L-Boy
1/3/2009, 12:47 AM
No, you've got me pegged. :D

It's especially stupid when you start a thread based on Ole Miss's win over Texas Tech about how much defenses in the Big 12 suck, then ignore the results of the Sugar Bowl where Alabama's vaunted defense gets rolled for 31 against Utah.

Not sure what these Big Southern Dummies refer to that as, but around here, that's called 'you're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.'

This is going to come down to Oklahoma and Florida. The results of the Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Gator Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl won't factor one iota into the outcome of the BCS National Championship Game.

And I feel pretty good about my team's chances six nights from now. I don't begrudge any Gator fan for feeling the same about their team.

I would assume I'm the Big Southern Dummie who started the thread you referred to. The thread was started before the Sugar Bowl game, but regardless of the Sugar Bowl game outcome, the premise still holds true. The assertion was Big 12 Defenses blow - and the post season has confirmed that to date. However, you can't say the SEC is a superior conference, or that SEC has vastly superior D, the evidence is decidely mixed on that one. But that is not what I said.

CrimsonJim
1/3/2009, 12:49 AM

Ditto! Couldn't have said it better myself....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2009, 12:57 AM
the assertion that big 12 defenses blow - is that based solely on ttech and pokey state? or does that include performances by the other 3 big 12 teams that have played? i mean if not we can say the same thing based on the performances of ole miss and alabama - 2 teams that got lit up by the pass.

OUstud
1/3/2009, 12:59 AM
Let's look at Bama's season:

They had 3 "marquee wins", I would say: Clemson (not a marquee win even at the time, a victory over any team coached by a Bowden son is not impressive), Georgia (the most consistently overrated team in college football; way to struggle with a middling Michigan State team), and LSU (had a nice bowl win, but finished 8-5 right?).

They happened to beat teams when they were ranked high, and as the season went on we looked back and said: "Well, maybe those weren't such a big deal." Their other wins weren't of much note.

If I were a Gator I wouldn't read too much into the win in the SECCG, just like OU shouldn't read anything into the TT win anymore (although it says more about Texas that they lost to them). Bama was fortunate with scheduling and timing until the last 2 games. OU right now is the absolute best in the Big 12, Florida is the absolute best in the SEC. May the best team win.*

*if Florida is the designated "best team", then may OU win. :D

rainiersooner
1/3/2009, 01:03 AM
No excuses from me. Bama sucked it up plain and simple. An embarrassment for the SEC.

This D wasn't quite what it was built up to be, and I said that before the SEC championship. GA rolled up quite a few points on them in 1 half, LSU ran over 200 yds against them.

As to the assertion that UF will be similarly befuddled by a "balanced spread" - people may want to remember that the Gators run a spread, and on rare occasion the offense might practice against the defense, and the O and D coaching staff on occasion might actually communicate.

Wouldn't that suggest that our D might be used to having to go against a decent Offense? Just saying.

L-Boy
1/3/2009, 01:22 AM
Wouldn't that suggest that our D might be used to having to go against a decent Offense? Just saying.

Define "used to". Sure they are used to it, but it hasn't translated to superior OU D performance on the field.

BermudaSooner
1/3/2009, 09:44 AM
I think the media contributes to the score comparisons by saying things like 'Oklahoma hasn't seen a defense like Florida's all year...'

Which I think is nonsense.

If they mean one that wears blue and orange, then they are correct.

StoopTroup
1/3/2009, 09:55 AM
You can make comparisons of last night Utah v Bama game and Our game against Boise St. if you want...

I see it a bit differently. I felt we played like crap and then in the 2nd half we fought back and lost with some pride. Bama got embarrassed last night IMO. I just don't think they played well due to a post Season let down. Tough for the under classmen. I bet they build on that though. They have a good football program. It's not the end of the World. It wasn't for us. Look where we're playing next week. Look where Boise St. played.

http://www.razcvet.com/poinsettia-koledna-zvezda1.gif

Congrats to Utah. Nice win...nice Season.

OPSEC
1/3/2009, 10:10 AM

yeah you would think. "Hey, to all Big 12 OC's did you guys talk to your Big 12 DC counterparts to see how to stop the spread?" Yeah i thought so. Thanks for the insight.

sozo
1/3/2009, 10:19 AM
TCU's defense pretty well shut down the Utah offense till that last minute drive and that was at Utah.

MojoRisen
1/3/2009, 10:45 AM
If you ask me, TCU would have beaten the utes 3 out of 4... Be it as it may for all the Florida fans..

TCU -3 against UTAH at UTAH
UTAH plus 14 on BAMA where BAMA out numbered their fans 60K to 15K
Florida plus 11 on BAMA on a nutural site

The Above is a Wash and OU plus 25 on TCU take away 7 for playing at home and OU wins by 17.

My new prediction OU 45-UF 28 with a couple of late scores by both teams...

PalmBeachSooner
1/3/2009, 10:47 AM
We actually beat them by 11... but hey, whatever.

Utah is a very good team and they played like a team with something to prove. Alabama on the other hand was playing like a team with nothing to gain.

Let's face it. The post-season in college football outside the BCS game is pretty much meaningless. You have a bunch of teams with nothing to lose playing teams with everything to lose but nothing to gain.

In the words of Mr. D.L. Hughley, "People that got s*** to lose don't need to be hanging out with people who ain't got s*** to lose."

PDXsooner
1/3/2009, 01:40 PM
I thought Nebraska holding Clemson to 2 yards rushing was impressive. Oh yeah, only the bad performances count, I forgot!

Iam4OUru
1/3/2009, 08:54 PM
Just saw this on ESPN.....

the Utes scored again.