PDA

View Full Version : Grandma, tell us 'bout the good old days

Jacie
1/2/2009, 08:35 PM
Now here's a sign of the times. The guys in the living room watching the Sugar Bowl and in the kitchen the women sitting around the table telling the younger generation how great it used to be when college football season ended on New Year's Day . . .

MamaMia
1/2/2009, 09:05 PM
It was never like that in my family.

Dio
1/2/2009, 10:09 PM
It did kind of seem like we should have been playing last night.

Piware
1/3/2009, 03:34 AM
Not at my house.

Friends have finally learned not to call/drop in during OUr games

If you going to eat you better do it by 30 minutes before kickoff or you are on your own.

Want to watch the game here? Okay, but don't ask where the University of Texas-El Paso is.

This Grandma means business. Watching football (both good and bad) since 1957 and outraged that the Cotton Bowl was on a workday.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/3/2009, 09:26 PM
Not at my house.

?

This Grandma means business. Watching football (both good and bad) since 1957 and outraged that the Cotton Bowl was on a workday.

So were my employees. Of course they were actually hinting they would rather me make it not a work day for them..

sooner2b09
1/3/2009, 09:42 PM
My Uncle was saying the same things while watching the sugar bowl last night, I agree with him to a point. The 8th is too long, I liked it in 2000 when it was on the 4th that seemed perfect.

1/3/2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Grandma, please pass the BOOOOMMMMEERRRRR!
http://www.chadandkimi.com/chad/facts/images/BillySims.jpg

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 09:45 PM
"This Grandma means business."

I have been extremely impressed at how serious the grandmas on this site, and the women in general on this site, take their football (based on posts from numerous grandmas and women I have noticed recently). I am totally blown away, and thrilled. I have always felt that football is the greatest sport, and being female is no excuse not to love it. None of my female friends (or girlfriends) throughout the years have ever been into football, sadly.

soonerfans.com grandmas rock!!

007sooner
1/3/2009, 09:48 PM
funny, i have never dated a guy who was as into college football as me... its sort of lame when you have to explain to your bf why you cant do anything saturday night at 8 when ou plays on primteime...

8timechamps
1/3/2009, 09:52 PM
This is why I always chuckle when I hear someone say "playoffs will ruin the bowl traditions".

The bowl "tradition" died when the number of bowls started to climb. I still remember watching one, maybe two bowl games a few days before the first.

That's what made it so great. You knew, for one day, it would be football on all the channels from sun up to sun down. The day always started with the Sun bowl (or another small bowl), and built up to the big ones (I'm talking about the days when the Rose, Sugar and Orange were the only big ones).

I try to explain to my kids what it was like, but they think I'm just telling another "in my day" story.

Oh well, things change...

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 10:06 PM
funny, i have never dated a guy who was as into college football as me... its sort of lame when you have to explain to your bf why you cant do anything saturday night at 8 when ou plays on primteime...

I would never miss a Sooner game for anything, unless it was an emergency or something extremely important. My guess is that most fans on this site likely feels the same way (based on what I have read in the posts).

You are a rarity. Are most Oklahoma females really into football? To be honest, I've never met an Oklahoman before, but they always seem like the nicest people, in general (based on interviews on tv, articles, and such, and of course people like Bradford, G. McCoy, Gresham, Madu.... just enhances that image). The people down there seem to have great family values.

007sooner
1/3/2009, 10:15 PM
how on earth did you get into ou football in the first place? aside from us just being so awesome and all ;)

it just comes down to EVERYone on campus being into ou football - not just the guys. the crew i went to home games with for four years was over half female... its just something so exciting anyone can get caught up in it.

i unfortunately no longer live in sooner country and most games are not broadcast here. mostly i just have to settle with radio streaming. still better than nothing, but i'd give so much to have season tickets in the student section again... best four fall semesters of my life.

MamaMia
1/3/2009, 10:50 PM
"This Grandma means business."

I have been extremely impressed at how serious the grandmas on this site, and the women in general on this site, take their football (based on posts from numerous grandmas and women I have noticed recently). I am totally blown away, and thrilled. I have always felt that football is the greatest sport, and being female is no excuse not to love it. None of my female friends (or girlfriends) throughout the years have ever been into football, sadly.

soonerfans.com grandmas rock!!My kids were all born in the summer for a reason.

tommieharris91
1/3/2009, 10:56 PM
You are a rarity. Are most Oklahoma females really into football? To be honest, I've never met an Oklahoman before, but they always seem like the nicest people, in general (based on interviews on tv, articles, and such, and of course people like Bradford, G. McCoy, Gresham, Madu.... just enhances that image). The people down there seem to have great family values.

All the girls I know that went to OU know football well enough to have a decent conversation about it. They might have to ask questions to have a few things clarified for them, but they understand the difference between 3rd and 15 and 3rd and 4.

Blues1
1/3/2009, 10:56 PM
GrandPa here --- 1950's & 60's ~~~ We Use to think there was four Bowls -- Rose - Orange - Sugar & Cotton ~~~ Tangerene & Sun were for smaller Schools --- Like Hardin -Simmions & Praireview State (You get the idea ~~~ :)

Ps Grandpa Still Rockin'
www.Bluescowboy.com

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 10:58 PM
We generally don't get US stations in Canada (dumb Canadian content rules and all), but since Toronto is only 1.5 hrs from Buffalo, Torontonians are able to get the Buffalo feed coming over the border (of primary US networks - ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox).

Growing up (late 70/early 80's), I got to see the Nationally broadcasted Sooner games (perhaps twice a year - maybe the Nebraska game and a Jan 1st bowl game). I fell in love with the way the Sooners ran the wishbone, hence the Sooners automatically became my favourite team. Goodness, it was the most amazing thing to watch - they ran it like they were making music (a thing of beauty for sure). J.C. Watts, B. Sims, D. Overstreet, the Boz (D), Jamelle Holieway, Keith Jackson, Ricky Dixon (D), Tony Peters (D), Marcus Dupree, Spencer Tillman (yeah, the same one that does halftime highlights on CBS) - the good old days.

The Sooners instantly became my fav team in all of sports. Although, the 90's were rough years as the Sooners were almost never on tv due to being on probation in the first half of the 90s and stinking in the second half.

However, this decade has been magic again, and I'm loving every minute of it - making up for the lost 90s. And, as an added bonus, this year's offense is even more amazing than the great wishbone days.

This has been an amazing decade for Sooner football. I'm kinda hoping that the next 5 decades will be just like this one.

007sooner
1/3/2009, 11:01 PM
All the girls I know that went to OU know football well enough to have a decent conversation about it. They might have to ask questions to have a few things clarified for them, but they understand the difference between 3rd and 15 and 3rd and 4.

let's not be condescending. I still explain things about football to my male friends.

This has been an amazing decade for Sooner football. I'm kinda hoping that the next 5 decades will be just like this one.

amen brutha!!

tommieharris91
1/3/2009, 11:06 PM
let's not be condescending. I still explain things about football to my male friends.

My point was that most women who go to OU right now know when the team is more likely to run than pass, but they might not know the difference between a slant route and a fade route.

Then again, just about everyone thinks college football is another reason to drink...

007sooner
1/3/2009, 11:08 PM
Then again, just about everyone thinks college football is another reason to drink...

and isnt it? :D

tommieharris91
1/3/2009, 11:14 PM
and isnt it? :D

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/images/smilies/beer.gif

007sooner
1/3/2009, 11:17 PM
but not budlite...gawd i am so sick of those ****ing drinkability commercials.

Blues1
1/3/2009, 11:25 PM
but not budlite...gawd i am so sick of those ****ing drinkability commercials.

I've had it with those stupid Beef Jerky Commercials ~~~~~ :)

Piware
1/3/2009, 11:39 PM
Almost as bad as the Moe Dampeer look-a-like in the Dr. Pepper commercial. Glad to see the end of that one.

Toronto Sooner
1/3/2009, 11:47 PM
The annoying Obama wannabe All State guy must go away also - he does small parts in movies but he stinks in all of them, so he keeps doing this All State gig (and we suffer for it).

Blues1
1/3/2009, 11:52 PM
Anybody want to Kill That FU&^%$$$ green Lizard thing on Geico ~~~~ :)

I will help You plot it out --- :)

oupride
1/3/2009, 11:56 PM
I remember when tejas was a respectable football program.

007sooner
1/3/2009, 11:58 PM
Anybody want to Kill That FU&^%$$$ green Lizard thing on Geico ~~~~ :)

I will help You plot it out --- :)

I don't know, I think I'd take the gecko over the creepy little money things with eyes... that make creepy sounds...

Blues1
1/3/2009, 11:58 PM
I remember when tejas was a respectable football program.

1969 was the last time I even thought about it ~~~ :)

budbarrybob
1/4/2009, 09:43 AM
Almost as bad as the Moe Dampeer look-a-like in the Dr. Pepper commercial. Glad to see the end of that one.

AMEN!!!!

SoonerRedHead
1/4/2009, 10:01 AM
Hope its not too late for a "Grandma" too chime in....went to OU so I could watch football, accidently got an edumacation....

In my home,in the old days, sports ruled from the beginning, from listening to baseball games and boxing on radio, plus a few OU games, to every meal being centered around when OU played on TV, way back when.

Thank goodness for Barry Switzer and Vince Dooley and their respective universities for taking on the NCAA and getting more of the college games on TV. Now more meals are scheduled around OU games.:D

I concur on those dreaded commercials...

TorontoSooner, good on you for your recognition great football! Many people live right here in this state and still root for an inferior product!:P

Toronto Sooner
1/4/2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks SoonerRedHead! You sound like yet another happening grandma.

This is by far the best decade for US college football, with so many more games being broadcasted on tv during the season (and even having Friday night, Thursday night, and sometimes even Tuesday night games). I had heard a little bit about Barry helping to improve the tv situation, although I really don't know the full story. Nevertheless, I am very appreciative. Tv games are crucial for someone like me. Also, the internet has changed everything. It's almost shocking when you look back now, and think about it - most of us have only had internet access for the past 10 to 15 years or so. How did we manage to survive before then?

Partial Qualifier
1/4/2009, 11:11 AM

that's hot. :D