PDA

View Full Version : Something Sooner04 posted got me to thinking

stoops the eternal pimp
1/2/2009, 05:22 PM
Usually during the bowl season, I don't cheer for other big 12 schools, but I kinda want them to win their games..Not because of the conference, but to make OU look better...But since I have pretty much cut out watching ESPN or reading any college football junk

I couldn't care less who wins their games..Why would you? So that guys you call morons would say you have a good team? We talk about how stupid those guys are, but we want big 12 teams to win so that they will say something nice about us...

What does nebraska have to do with OU vs Florida? not a ****n thing
what does ok state have to do with OU vs Florida? not a ****n thing
what does kansas have to do with OU vs Florida? not a ****n thing
what does missouri have to do with OU vs Florida? not a ****n thing
what does texas have to do with OU vs Florida? not a ****n thing
what does texas tech have to do with OU vs Florida? not a ****n thing

so all the the other teams can win their games or lose them..It does not matter...

Same thing for Florida...you don't need ole miss to beat Texas Tech to prove ****...your one of the best 2 teams in the country..**** the rest of the SEC

StoopTroup
1/2/2009, 05:39 PM
It really does boil down to who is ready come Jan. 8th.

If I'm Phlorida do I think...''This should be fun...we should handle things fine...we did it last year. Let's Party''

Or...if I'm Oklahoma...''I'm tired of going Home with a consolation prize like last year...this one is for Bob...this one is for us...this one is for all the folks who didn't thing we should be here...''

BTW....I still rooted for Cinncinati last night. I liked their fans when they were here. They and the Bama Fans were some of the nicest I've met the last few years. Sad to see them lose that one.

StoopTroup
1/2/2009, 05:40 PM
Freaking board is phucked up.

SoonerBoognish
1/2/2009, 05:48 PM
Also, consider that even in years that the conference does well in bowls, it doesn't translate to any sort of "respect" from the media or... trolls. At the same time, it hasn't correlated well to OU doing well in the bowl. This leads me to believe it is all truly silly. ESPN doesn't criticize based on merit, I don't know exactly what they base it on, but it obviously isn't as well thought out as some would like to believe.

Look at the Rose Bowl as my prime example, the Big 10 and Pac 10. Ok, so the Pac 10 lost to damn near every MWC team they played during the season, the Big 10 has been knocked also. Sooo... when did ESPN decide that it was a national championship type game? I can guarendamntee you it wasn't based on the prestige or strength of the conferences involved. Seems funny to me to try to delegitimize a system that you will have broadcast rights to, but whatever.

Every year ESPN questions the conferences strength, yet it seems to have no bearing on who goes to the big game, or anything really. If it truly meant that much, how the hell did Ohio State go twice, or Penn State having a chance this year? How does USC ever even get considered? Trying to argue with it just gives it legitmacy it really doesn't deserve. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole, and you can't use logic against contrived arguments.

My last thing to ramble about, remember '04, whether you want to or not. What got me was the surprise after Tech destroyed Cal for the most part. I thought "hot damn, look how our opponents did against someone USC only beat by 7". I don't need to remind anyone that it's actually a fact that these "discussions" mean jack squat in reality.

SoonerBoognish
1/2/2009, 05:53 PM
The short version, I agree.

SoonerBoognish
1/2/2009, 06:06 PM
One last thing. When people are vocal and confident based on things that don't have any real impact on the actual game, it just sets them up for a big emotional fall, and to be made fun of. So, in that light, I support the SEC chest thumping, because if we win it will just add spice, seeing people have to hit the brakes and reconcile.

That SEC chant will happen regardless of the outcome, and I hope it's in a mocking fashion.

OUHOMER
1/2/2009, 06:18 PM
Well, I know we all judge our opponents thru the regular season on how they played common opponents. As does each voter in the AP and coaches poll and yes, the computers.
Why wouldn't it not carry over to the bowl games.

So, yea I want the teams we beat to win out, it gives some correlation to how we played thu the regular season.

Bottom line it really does not matter what they do, it matters what we do in the bowl games. but if we would not have stomped a mud hole in tech we would not be playing in the big game.

Than again, it always helps in recruiting if other Big 12 lose.

So screw'em :D this ain't the SEC

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/2/2009, 06:18 PM
I just hope we get to take a picture in front of a scoreboard on the 8th!!!

Sooner5030
1/2/2009, 06:21 PM
TTU losing to OLE MISS means about as much as BAYLOR holding TTU to fewer yards than OLE MISS did.....nothing.

MiamiGator79
1/2/2009, 06:26 PM
Riiiight...and if Texas Tech dropped 60+ on Ole Miss you'd be saying it means nothing? Come on, you have to be at least a little surprised by the outcome.

SoonerAtKU
1/2/2009, 06:29 PM
ESPN decided that the Rose Bowl was a big deal when they figured out it was being broadcast by ABC. The actual BCSNC game is not as big a deal because it's on FOX. Ratings, that's all.

Sooner5030
1/2/2009, 06:29 PM
Not surprised...Houston Nutt has the DNA to overachieve 1-2 games a season and OLE MISS was pumped up for this game. Congrats to them but OKU held TTU to fewer points & yards and won by 44.

OUHOMER
1/2/2009, 06:33 PM
Riiiight...and if Texas Tech dropped 60+ on Ole Miss you'd be saying it means nothing? Come on, you have to be at least a little surprised by the outcome.

I'll admit it, I thought tech would win, But than again, I have seen them get their *** whipped before :D

GottaHavePride
1/2/2009, 06:36 PM
I thought Tech's defense did pretty well, considering Tech's offense gift wrapped at LEAST 16 points for Ole Miss. Having Crabtree at (apparently) 75% really threw off that offense.

Mac94
1/2/2009, 06:38 PM
In 1985 Oklahoma face 6 bowl teams .... and those teams went 1-5 in their respective bowls (lone winner was Minnesota over 6-6 Clemson) and the Big-8 went 0-3. Oklahoma still lined up and kicked Penn States backside to win #6.

Oklahoma has it's chance next Thursday ... the rest of the bowls don't mean jack. Heck, let the ESPN talking heads gab about the SEC and Big-12 defenses and how OU doesn't have a chance. Give coach Stoops fuel to light under the team. Give then something else to be angry about.

SoonerAtKU
1/2/2009, 06:39 PM
I haven't had the energy to look it up, but what was the extent of Harrell's hand injury in the Baylor game? Didn't he have to have a crazy amount of work done on it, like plates and splints and stuff?

oubose
1/2/2009, 06:42 PM
TT was not in the game the whole 2nd half, congrats to the Nutt good bowl win.

gators suck, and so do there fans!

SoonerBoognish
1/2/2009, 07:07 PM

Oh yeah, i forgot you knew how I REALLY felt. I take it all back, we're doomed.

AzianSooner
1/2/2009, 07:18 PM
I disagree. I think if those Big 12 south teams dominate their opponents, somehow you can tell how strong OU is (will be)

Otherwise, like you said it is a wash.

Sooner04
1/2/2009, 07:32 PM
It's scary seeing one's name in the topic.

Anyhow, I've been preaching this gospel to my buddies who were pulling for O-State for the sake of the Big 12? Why? All the whaling and gnashing of teeth is over. The schedule is set. If every team in our conference went out and got bludgeoned up and down the field it won't matter a lick. We've got our game, and if we win it then you can hang 2008 from the west side press box.

I cannot BELIEVE some of our brethren would stoop so low as to root for O-State or Texas. Criminy.

We're Oklahoma, and we'll be fine regardless. We dominated this sport when it was Oklahoma and the Seven Dwarfs in the old Big 8. We dominated this sport when we had a two game schedule every year: Texas and Nebraska. You know what? We're Oklahoma, and we're going to keep doing what we've always done: win championships.

That's just the way it is. And nothing that happens in the Phyllis Diller Bowl presented by Summer's Eve is going to have any effect on that.

SoonerBoognish
1/2/2009, 07:33 PM
Tech beat Cal badly in 2004, and it meant squat. I knew it was baseless after that. In our favor or not, unless you ignore the past, the argument holds no water. You may get lucky and appear to be right one year, and look equally stupid the next.
Looking for patterns where they don't exist gets people in trouble, just look at roulette. It may seem like a pattern exists, but there never is one. Same here when you make predictions based on insane criteria. Florida may win, but i highly doubt it's because of the outcome of other games.

PalmBeachSooner
1/2/2009, 08:46 PM

And what will the Gator nation say when Utah embarasses Alabama? If it happens and it could (14-0) at this point, it would have no relevance to the outcome on Jan 8th. There are so many untangibles in every game to make any predictions about future games.