PDA

View Full Version : I got crappy report from the doctor about my knee

stoops the eternal pimp
1/2/2009, 10:38 AM
After 3 surgeries, my right knee is done. They drilled a bunch of holes in the bone to make it bleed to create some kind of cartlidge, but he said I will only get one more year out of it before they do a complete replacement. He said they would have already done it but they wanna put it off as long as they can. He said no more basketball, running, or anything...And that severe arthritis has already set in...don't wanna hear that at any age, but surely not at 32 with 2 small children that wanna run and play...

I know its not life threatening or anything, but I m pretty bummed out.

StoopTroup
1/2/2009, 11:07 AM
STEP...

Hang in there Bro...

Sorry to hear. I'm pulling for you though.

ST

soonerboomer93
1/2/2009, 11:47 AM
Hang in there STEP,everything will be all right

captain_surly
1/2/2009, 11:59 AM
That really sucks. At your age I assume it must be injury related? On the bright side it can be replaced. I hope when the time comes you have good insurance and a good doctor. Rehab exactly according to instructions and you'll be good as new.

Between now and then narcotics are your friend.;)

bent rider
1/2/2009, 12:03 PM
After 3 surgeries, my right knee is done. They drilled a bunch of holes in the bone to make it bleed to create some kind of cartlidge, but he said I will only get one more year out of it before they do a complete replacement. He said they would have already done it but they wanna put it off as long as they can. He said no more basketball, running, or anything...And that severe arthritis has already set in...don't wanna hear that at any age, but surely not at 32 with 2 small children that wanna run and play...

I know its not life threatening or anything, but I m pretty bummed out.

I went through something pretty similar at age 39, so I understand.
You might be interested in the info here:
http://www.activejoints.com

Sooner_Bob
1/2/2009, 12:11 PM
Dang . . . sorry to hear about that.

Hang in there.

Frozen Sooner
1/2/2009, 12:27 PM
Sorry, STEP.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/2/2009, 01:28 PM
That really sucks. At your age I assume it must be injury related? On the bright side it can be replaced. I hope when the time comes you have good insurance and a good doctor. Rehab exactly according to instructions and you'll be good as new.

Between now and then narcotics are your friend.;)

I tore my ACL when I played basketball for NSU back in 96-97. Since then I've had one problem with it after another til I'm at the point I am today.

I see the average age for a knee replacement is 65-70..and then they have to replace the replacement every 10 years or so I guess...

Since I m 32, I may just ask them to amputate and give me my robocop leg

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 01:42 PM
Man, sorry STEP. On the plus side though, every thing I have heard about knee replacements is that they are getting very good with them.

captain_surly
1/2/2009, 02:28 PM
I tore my ACL when I played basketball for NSU back in 96-97.

I tore mine playing flag football against the Phi Lambs in the Toilet Bowl at NSU in 1977. Proud graduate in the class of 79.

One of the funniest things I ever saw happened in Tahlequah at a home playoff game where the Redmen were playing some team whose mascot was the Rams. Their little marching band was performing and the baton twirler was doing her thing right in front of where the frat guys were all sitting.

Someone draws our attention to a pickup truck driving very slowly down the road behind the visitor's seats. In the back of the truck is a topless blonde holding up a large sign that said "Rams Are Gay Boys". The crowd erupted into the loudest cheering of the day. The twirler dropped her baton and when she picked it up she looked up at the crowd and stood there with a very puzzled look and then started twirling with great enthusiasm. I'm pretty sure it was the high point of her career.

VeeJay
1/2/2009, 02:54 PM
Tough news STEP. A positive mental attitude can go a long way. I'm sounding like my Mom, dang. Good luck and Best Wishes to you.

OUHOMER
1/2/2009, 03:19 PM
Dude sorry to hear that.But they are getting better, new technology etc.
One on my best friends just had 1 knee replaced about 2 weeks ago. The first week he had to use a walker. we called him Wednesday night and he said he is doing stairs and just using a cane. And the cane was just for mental support.

hes going in to have the other knee done in march.

Hang in there bro....

SoonerJack
1/2/2009, 04:13 PM
wow. that is very unfortunate. you'll be in my prayers.

man, between your knee and Homey's dog-bitten nose, this place is getting to be a regular recovery room.

olevetonahill
1/2/2009, 05:24 PM
Good Luck Bro . If Its gonna Have to be done why they Puttin it off ?

Hot Rod
1/2/2009, 07:07 PM
STEP, sorry about the knee. Wish you the best regardless.

Frozen Sooner
1/2/2009, 07:45 PM
wow. that is very unfortunate. you'll be in my prayers.

man, between your knee and Homey's dog-bitten nose, this place is getting to be a regular recovery room.

Don't forget my bunghole.

I mean, I understand why you'd want to, but it's on the IR as well.

Tailwind
1/2/2009, 08:03 PM
That sucks bigtime....but you will be ok after the knee replacement. Try to keep cheerful and find some activities you can do with your kids that won't kill your knee. Hugs to you!

SteelCitySooner
1/2/2009, 08:06 PM
That sucks STEP. Hang in there bro.

Okla-homey
1/2/2009, 08:33 PM
dang it! That blows. That said, I'd stay active if I were you. I got a fake hip at age 39 (crash, long story) and I still do stuff I did before with decent success. Frankly, I'd rather wear out than rust out. If that new knee wears out, you can always get another.

the only concession I made was to stop parachuting and riding horses because the doc said if I busted it, it would be really hard to put it all back together.

Cam
1/2/2009, 08:35 PM
Dang man, good luck with that. Be a good patient and do you PT once you have the replacement done.

royalfan5
1/2/2009, 08:40 PM
That sucks, but at least you can start referring to yourself As the "fill in the cost of surgery" man. Or at least makes jokes about having the technology.

GottaHavePride
1/2/2009, 10:34 PM
Dude, that sucks, but look on the bright side: replacement joints now are MUCH better than they were even a few years ago. The old joints were pretty much just hinges - the new ones can actually handle torsion and swivel like a real knee joint, so your mobility should be pretty good on a new knee.

A Sooner in Texas
1/2/2009, 11:26 PM
Step, that sucks and I really feel badly for you. On the plus side, I know people much older than you who have sailed through knee replacements and physical therapy, so the bionic knee should be a blessing when they finally let you get it. In the meantime, is there any exercise you CAN do that won't be so hard on your knee...like swimming? My mom had lupus and rheumatoid arthritis but she did swim nearly every day and stayed very fit. I know it's not the same as a pickup game of Bball, but it'd be a way of staying active and something you could enjoy with your kids.
We'll all be thinking about you and wishing all the best.

Frozen Sooner
1/3/2009, 12:51 AM
For what it's worth, Mom got both her knees replaced a few years back and she's kicking herself she didn't do it sooner.

BigRedJed
1/3/2009, 12:53 AM
Kicking herself? Are her new knees double-jointed?

pott_2
1/3/2009, 07:50 AM
Since I m 32, I may just ask them to amputate and give me my robocop leg

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo314/pescadomalo/grindhouse.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
1/4/2009, 03:51 PM
My ortho is trying to get me to 60 as he said you only get 2 knee replacements per joint per life. I wonder how they call that. I'm doing fine now, the next thing is the chicken cartilidge injection for me. Not as far gone as you, man, that's tough.