PDA

View Full Version : Roky Erickson and 13th Floor Elevators

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 09:49 AM
Holy heck, how have I missed these guys? I mean, I had heard of 13th Floor Elevators, but didn't know squat about them. When I heard their song "You're Gonna Miss Me" I knew it was familiar, and after poking around teh innerwebs I found out it was the opening song in the movie "High Fidelity." But beyond that I had nothing.

So, based only on the channel guide summary and a whim, I set my DVR to record "You're Gonna Miss Me (http://www.rokymovie.com/)" on either the Sundance Channel or IFC. I sat down last night to watch it, and was blown away, both by the music and by the story, which focuses mostly on Roky (http://www.rokyerickson.net/).

It was cool, sad and hopeful at the same time. Dude has basically been broken since the early seventies, living in Austin in near-poverty, with his mom as his "caretaker." She's about as nutty as he is, and was basically keeping him from taking meds that would help him deal with his schitzophrenia. At the very least she was enabling him.

Much of the documentary dealt with his brother (one of five total sons), who lives in Pittsburgh (where he is a successful musician in the symphony), going to court to become his brother's official caregiver and to get him on meds. Roky was already a little batty in the 60s, and 300+ LSD trips combined with a stay in a high-security mental institution for a minor marijuana charge ( :eek: ) in the late '60s/ early '70s sent him over the edge.

Here's what I learned:

Some people credit the band with the creation/popularization of the term "psychdelic rock."
Roky's singing style had a profound influence on Janis Joplin, who was a close friend. Listen to You're Gonna Miss Me, and you'll never again think of her signature sound the same way again.
They changed the San Francisco scene when they arrived there from Austin. They arrived there before Surrealistic Pillow. Apparently, most of the Bay area bands were a lot more folk-flavored before 13th Floor Elevators showed up.
They also had a big influence on bands like Television and Spacemen 3.
Billy Gibbons, Patti Smith, Gibby Haynes and Thurston Moore talk about Roky in reverential tones in the documentary.
Roky's whole family is amazingly disfunctional. Even the most well-adjusted of the brothers reveals himself to be pretty damaged in a scene at his therapist's office. Still, kudos to him for stepping in and doing something about his big bro.
I didn't get the impression that the Austin music scene was doing anything to take care of this guy at the time the movie was made (2005). If that's the truth, they should be ashamed of themselves.
I have an entirely new outlook on the Butthole Surfers and early Flaming Lips. I know Gibby jokes in Fearless Freaks about how bad the Lips were ripping the BS off (and he has a point to some extent), but they were BOTH stealing from the 13th Floor Elevators. Wayne's whole alien thing even looks a little fishy to me right now.The good news is that the movie ends with an apparent brighter future for Roky. After poking around on teh innerwebs, it looks like he has actually started performing again, which is pretty fantastic if you see how bad he is with teh crazee in the movie. Think Brian Wilson on a bad day. Anyway, worth a watch, and I will mos def be adding these guys (plus some of Roky's stuff from the seventies) to my playlist.

After watching it, I feel like I should be embarassed for not knowing about them.

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 09:58 AM
cYh5oMDlWwQ

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 09:58 AM
nwSA0Tckwbk

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 10:00 AM
Here's the movie trailer:

sVFLqzJB6qw

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 10:07 AM
Here he is with his later band the Explosives:

nnIQNcdEb2Q

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 10:18 AM
I might just like them so much because of the jug player. That is some righteous hillbilly action right there.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/2/2009, 10:24 AM
'Percussive Jug' is a good name for a band.

I hear Beat Happening, Bob Pollard, The Velvet Underground, some Beta Band, The Bad Seeds and somehow...BJM.

Speaking of the Lips ripping them off: 'Easter Everywhere'? Giant rabbit suit?

:norm:

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 12:30 PM
http://www.medaloffreedom.com/RichardPetty1.jpg

WestAustinSooner
1/2/2009, 12:38 PM
Big Red:

Living in Austin since 1989 has given me the opportunity to learn about the Elevators over the years. I never saw any of their shows, but have several friends with all of their original albums on vinyl. Really cool stuff to listen to. Roky came out with a small 4 song solo album in the late 80's early 90's, with the hit song, "You don't love me yet." Its actually pretty good, but probably out of print.

After that, I think is when he went to an inpatient asylum for mail theft.

Anyway, I saw him announce for an Austin Music awards show in the mid 90's - which was a rare public appearance. He cold barely get through the show.

He recently has been touring again, and appears much healthier. He played a one-hour set at Austin City Limits music festival, and it was a great show! By the way, if you haven't been to an ACL Fest and you are a music lover, then you are missing out. I''m 43 and generally tired of wild live shows, but I attend ACL all three days generally from mid-afternoon until the shows end at 10;30pm.

I look forward to seeing the documentary you mentioned. Did it cover the "incident" on the (Ed Sullivan???) show where they told everyone to drop out and drop acid? Of course that is why they didn't receive much public coverage after that, because the networks were afraid of them doing another inappropriate act. The rumor around here was that they dropped blotter acid into their eyes. I guess that mixed with Roky's unstable mental situation made for some pretty interesting experiences for him and the band that were reflected in their music.

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 02:00 PM
It didn't show the Ed Sullivan thing, but it did mention that the Austin cops targeted Roky because he was so vocal about doing drugs and encouraging others to do them. They were doing mescaline and all sorts of stuff. They even interviewed guys who were in the po po leadership of the time (even the police chief, I think), who were pretty unapologetic about busting him.

The problem was, they were only able to bust him with a single joint. He pleaded insanity (TO HAVING A J!) and was put into some minimum-security place. The only problem was that his girlfriend kept coming and "springing" him by encouraging him to jump out the window and run off with her. They fixed that by sending him to the maximum-security crazy hoosegow. The documentary interviews one of the people who had been in charge there, who talked about how wrong it was for him to be there. He formed a band with a few inmates while he was there. They were all murderers, some of them multiple, and one of them in for a gang rape and murder of a little boy.

Eventually, someone realized that he had been in for years, for posession of a single joint, even after marijuana posession had been decriminalized and his initial charge would have been a misdemeanor, subject to a ticket and not even jail time. So they petitioned to get him released. He was in for something like 4 years, I think. This was in the late '60s, early '70s.

King Crimson
1/2/2009, 02:07 PM
big fan of the 13th floor elevators.

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 02:48 PM
I figured. When I started watching the documentary I literally thought "I'll bet King Crimson is all over these guys." I thought of you and one other person, period.

King Crimson
1/2/2009, 07:45 PM
back in the mid 90's, there was a story going around (and primarily reported by Henry Rollins) that Rollins had "by chance" discovered Roky Erickson living above a bowling alley (so the story went) living in destitution and writing songs.

haven't seen the doc....but i suspect there wasn't a lot of truth to that story.

since BSG mentioned the BJM...i'd say that two of the less acknowledged influences on the early Anton Newcombe/BJM up through the first 4 records were Roky and Gram Parsons. Amazingly, neither of these guys are mentioned in the Dig! doc, and the some of the desert photo shoots in Dig! are straight Gram Parsons. One of the later Parsons compilations has a photo of GP on a chopper in the desert, might as well be Anton.

King Crimson
1/2/2009, 08:04 PM
actually, IMO, also a little fishy (but wth?) is the Lips near appropriation of this Can tune from Tago Mago...which the Lips kinda of lifted the drums/bass on Priest. that heads in jars song.

xVQuelXdnkI

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 11:52 PM
Take Meta Mars. Yeah, I hear it. I love that song. Speaking of Priest Driven Ambulance, the Lips threw the eff down on Mountain Side the other night at the Cox Center. It was kindof nice to see them when they weren't pimping an album. Hell, they even covered Purple Rain. Awesome.

King Crimson
1/3/2009, 01:47 AM
Take Meta Mars. Yeah, I hear it. I love that song. Speaking of Priest Driven Ambulance, the Lips threw the eff down on Mountain Side the other night at the Cox Center. It was kindof nice to see them when they weren't pimping an album. Hell, they even covered Purple Rain. Awesome.

i bet you are right about that (not pimping). they have a helluva catalog to draw from.

sure, maybe they ripped Can but Can is cool and who else was ripping off Can in 1990? really.

BigRedJed
1/3/2009, 11:54 AM
They also ripped off Cat Stevens. Man, what a bunch of tools.

sooneron
1/3/2009, 11:32 PM
I figured. When I started watching the documentary I literally thought "I'll bet King Crimson is all over these guys." I thought of you and one other person, period.

Was it me?:O

OUAndy1807
1/4/2009, 11:55 AM
they're a band that I'd like to like, but I never get that into them. I like everything about them and their music should be right up my alley, it just doesn't speak to me for some reason.

Rogue
1/4/2009, 01:02 PM
I learn about music here from BRJ, BSG, and sometimes Bri.
I appreciate these threads.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/4/2009, 01:19 PM
I learn about music here...
I appreciate these threads.

Word. Me, too.

You know who else I hear in this? Os Mutantes. Which sounds weird, I know but...

BigRedJed
1/4/2009, 05:24 PM
Was it me?:O
No. :O

I thought of King Crimson because he tends to skew a little more old school than most of the rest of us in the modern rock set. And by old school, I mean pre-punk era. Even pre-protopunk, if that's a thing. I had no doubt you'd like 'em and probably had even heard of 'em, but I was guessing KC actually had them in his collection.

The other guy I was thinking of doesn't post on here. He is younger than us, however his tastes go really deep in the areas we all usually talk about. But the reason I thought about him was that he is also way into Jefferson Airplane, among others. These guys are a perfect fit with JA, plus Big Brother and the Holding Company and the like.

Don't worry; if it's punk or new wave, you're tops on my list.