PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Quarterback Play

cheezyq
1/1/2009, 10:45 PM
I haven't watched all the early games, but I've seen a few, and I've seen all the bowl games since Monday except the day games on Tuesday and Wednesday. The one thing that's stood out to me is the pathetic QB play so far. Here's what I saw:

- Best QB so far - Reesing/KU. He was accurate and very mobile, sliding around in the pocket very well.
- Stafford/UGA. Aside from a few shining moments in the 2nd half, he was awful. This despite having an NFL RB and 2 nice WRs to throw to.
- Sanchez/USC. Was actually fairly impressive. He anticipates his routes very well and is accurate. He looked average in the 2nd half, though.
- Daniel/MU. Sucked. Hard.
- Robinson/OSU. Had very few shining moments. Generally was inaccurate when throwing to anyone but Dez. This was in the first half before the injury, too.
- Clark/PSU. Not all his fault, but despite a few good moments here and there, generally was inaccurate. He did handle the heat pretty well, though.
- Ganz/NU. Not bad, but not impressive, either.
- White/WV. Nothing impresses me less than a ball tossed high and long for a wide open receiver to run under it. There's a reason why this guy runs most of the time.
- Clausen/ND. Actually was pretty impressive, but there were a lot of wide, wide open receivers to throw to, and virtually zero pressure.
- Tuitama/Arizona. Did a good job, but wasn't that impressive.

Maybe we're just spoiled with Bradford each week, but this year has shown a lot of lame QB play, and actually pretty lame offense, too. Of course, we still have Harrell, Bradford, McCoy and Tebow left. The early play makes me curious about how these other QBs will look.

Did any of you see the Rice and Houston games, or see anything confirming/contrasting the bad QB play?

tulsaoilerfan
1/1/2009, 10:47 PM
College QB's have gotten worse the last few years for some reason

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 10:53 PM
I think Robinson did a good job considering he got the crap beat out of him.

I have to give Sanchez a bit more credit though. Early on he was on fire and really had PSU beat by halftime. If he wasn't impressive in the 2nd half...it was because he really didn't need to be. Same thing happened to Sam this year in so many games.

Ganz was about what I expected. He did what he needed to pull off a win.

Reesing...I like that guy. He's a gamer.

Booger...sad.

sooner94
1/1/2009, 10:58 PM
There have been a lot of interceptions during the bowl season due to the QB locking onto the primary receiver.

Isn't it ironic how a lot of offenses have 4 or 5 receivers running routes but the QB doesn't even look at most of them? Maybe its the interuptions during the holiday season that throws their timing off, and they only feel comfortable looking for one guy.

But the QB play has been really bad. A lot of low scoring games that should have been high scoring games (at least according to Vegas).

oupride
1/1/2009, 11:11 PM
I think you could be right.

Crucifax Autumn
1/1/2009, 11:17 PM
This QB thing will be remedied a bit in the Cotton tomorrow and then completely forgotten when Sam goes 34-35 for 450 yards next week.

sooner94
1/2/2009, 12:27 AM
This QB thing will be remedied a bit in the Cotton tomorrow and then completely forgotten when Sam goes 34-35 for 450 yards next week.

Right after I finished the post I realized the 4 best QB's have yet to play. At least the best one anyways.

SoonerJack
1/2/2009, 08:53 AM
I noticed the same thing Cheezy. I don't know how many times I said to myself or to those watching with me "Bradford would have totally completed that pass."

stoops the eternal pimp
1/2/2009, 09:13 AM
IMO, I don't think any QB as improved as much during the season as Sanchez...that dude was awful in the first part of the season

SoonerLB
1/2/2009, 11:35 AM
Reesing was fun to watch, no doubt about him being a gamer.
Sanchez, impressive performance.
Daniel, just as expected, and I look forward to his return to obscurity.