PDA

View Full Version : is it just me

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2009, 08:10 PM
or are we seeing a lot of late hits on QBs not get flagged?

Cam
1/1/2009, 08:12 PM
Not only late, but some helmet to helmet as well.

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 08:14 PM
if they hit sam like that, I can promise you a fight will break out. Trent Williams, Gresham, Duke, Matt Clapp, Brody, and Loadholt will not let Florida get away with that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2009, 08:15 PM
that USC linebacker just headbutted the penn state QB and no flag. i was like ejection?

SoonerBoognish
1/1/2009, 08:15 PM
if they hit sam like that, I can promise you a fight will break out. Trent Williams, Gresham, Duke, Matt Clapp, Brody, and Loadholt will not let Florida get away with that.

If you can get away with it, just go the route that won't get you flagged. Do the same thing to them.

bluedogok
1/1/2009, 08:16 PM
...but yet if a player has one foot out of bounds and gets touched they flag that.....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2009, 08:18 PM
it impacts us 10x more than it impacts florida. this is one of those trends you see in bowl season that causes concern.

sooner2b09
1/1/2009, 08:20 PM
USC always does that dirty ****, they have only been called once and the safety was diving horizontal at an unprotected wide receiver, but all the other ones havent been called which is bs

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 08:21 PM
it impacts us 10x more than it impacts florida. this is one of those trends you see in bowl season that causes concern.

Yeah, Zac Robinson was maybe the worst, but I dont think it happens more than once in our game

SoonerBoognish
1/1/2009, 08:21 PM
I haven't been paying attention, but could it be that SEC officials are more lenient on that stuff? If so, at least we can't have an SEC crew. I would think at worst it's a roll of the dice on what the particular crew tends to let slide.

delhalew
1/1/2009, 08:30 PM
I've ssen it most of the games. Zach being the worst recipient so far. Although USC is predictably doing all over the field.

In college football, I thought we made an effort to protect QB's from unsportsman like conduct. This bowl season all I've seen is headhunting. Its pretty sad.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2009, 08:34 PM
...but yet if a player has one foot out of bounds and gets touched they flag that.....

well, remember against texas it was if they fall down out of bounds with a player near them ;)

cheezyq
1/1/2009, 08:48 PM
or are we seeing a lot of late hits on QBs not get flagged?

Those aren't late hits, they are early congratulations.

Jdog
1/1/2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah, Zac Robinson was maybe the worst, but I dont think it happens more than once in our game

Pac 10 refs called the holiday bowl - which we all know explains a lot. We can only hope for Big 10 refs for game.

oupride
1/1/2009, 10:05 PM
Zac Robinson looked like an old punchin bag vs Oregon. I guess its common in the Pac 10. I remember UCLA hitting late and out of bounds and NO flag.

tulsaoilerfan
1/1/2009, 10:06 PM
Yet u watch, if we so much as breathe on Tebow after he throws the ball, we will get flagged. ;)

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 10:26 PM
Pac 10 refs called the holiday bowl - which we all know explains a lot. We can only hope for Big 10 refs for game.

How is that fair, since the number 2 pac 10 team play in this game every year?

KingBarry
1/1/2009, 10:39 PM

I can't believe the Big XII front office, nevermind the individual school representing the Big XII, signs off on this.

Piware
1/1/2009, 11:09 PM

It was a Big 10 crew at the Pokie-Quackers game.

douxpaysan
1/2/2009, 12:47 AM
It was a Big 10 crew at the Pokie-Quackers game. This is correct...but they were smoking the ganja and missed most of the game. Funny how they protect quarterbacks that play on Sunday but then all of them are millionaires...must make a difference.:rolleyes:

Vaevictis
1/2/2009, 01:55 AM

Someone should teach our linebackers how to throw a flying arm bar, just in case. ;)

FlatheadSooner
1/2/2009, 03:38 AM
Someone should teach our linebackers how to throw a flying arm bar, just in case. ;)

"I think I broke his fricken neck!"
- The Longest Yard
:D

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2009, 04:26 AM
Well, at least the prcedent is that it's ok for OUr guys to azzrape tebow every play.

ETGator1
1/2/2009, 09:29 AM
Do you guys really think Sam Bradford is going to have 4 or 5 seconds to get rid of the ball while he stands in the pocket like a statue going through progressions to pick out receivers? Better get ready for it because Sam is going to get hard and often. OU plays video game offense in the Big 12. UF plays real defense in the SEC.

If OU comes after Tebow, that's fine as it's open season all year in the SEC for legal hits. After Tim puts a hurtin' on your players, he'll be nice and help them up. (wink)

sooneredaco
1/2/2009, 10:10 AM
Do you guys really think Sam Bradford is going to have 4 or 5 seconds to get rid of the ball while he stands in the pocket like a statue going through progressions to pick out receivers? Better get ready for it because Sam is going to get hard and often. OU plays video game offense in the Big 12. UF plays real defense in the SEC.

If OU comes after Tebow, that's fine as it's open season all year in the SEC for legal hits. After Tim puts a hurtin' on your players, he'll be nice and help them up. (wink)

SEC.... SEC... SEC......

And all players in the sec are faster than speeding bullets and able to leap tall buildings. blah.... blah.... blah....

What a loser!

Sooner13
1/2/2009, 10:19 AM

4 or 5 seconds, sometimes. 3-4 seconds, yes :D

SoonerStormchaser
1/2/2009, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=Jdog;2547716]Pac 10 refs called the holiday bowl QUOTE]

You sure...since conference officials can't officiate bowl games in which one of their own is playing?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/2/2009, 11:07 AM
Do you guys really think Sam Bradford is going to have 4 or 5 seconds to get rid of the ball while he stands in the pocket like a statue going through progressions to pick out receivers?

john parker wilson did

ETGator1
1/2/2009, 11:42 AM
3 seconds and the ball better be gone. Any longer than that and UF will be getting sacks and a lot of legal hits.

Jdog
1/2/2009, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=Jdog;2547716]Pac 10 refs called the holiday bowl QUOTE]

You sure...since conference officials can't officiate bowl games in which one of their own is playing?

It shocked me and a friend when we heard a commentator say at the beginning of the game (at least when they broke into the beginning - we missed the kickoff) that it was Pac-10 officials. They caveated it with that only BCS games limit officiating from a partcipant conference.

I suppose as some of the previous posters say that they could have been Big 10. But we both heard Pac-10. You know though we could be getting so old, and hard of hearing from that damned old Rockin Roll Music of the 60s, and 70s that we could have heard wrong.

G8trGr8t
1/2/2009, 12:40 PM
ACC refs for our game. It will depend ont he crew as to how it gets called. Guys do not need skirts on them but driving them into the ground after taking your one step is not needed although I think Tebow can take the pounding better than Bradford casue he relishes contact. He usually plays better after he gets at least one hard hit.

I just hope neither team gets 15 yard penalties for hitting a guy half a step out of bounds when you have a 220 lb safety with a full head of steam trying to break up a pass coming over from midfield. You can't just stop that type of momentum on a dime.

I agree that USC was making high hits all night and Matthews deliberatley dropped his chin to get the crown of the helmet on that guys chin. Dirty football coached that way, reminds me of F$U.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/2/2009, 12:42 PM
3 seconds and the ball better be gone. Any longer than that and UF will be getting sacks and a lot of legal hits.

and where, pray tell, did you conjure up a pass rush in the last 2 weeks?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/2/2009, 12:46 PM
i consider us to have a good, not great, pass rush. we rarely get to the QB in less than 4 seconds. 3 seconds from a defensive lineman is basically unimpeded at this level. so if you are going to tell me that there is no way that we can even provide even .4 tenths of a second of resistance then you need to be banned for the troll you are.

CrimsonJim
1/2/2009, 12:54 PM
ET's been drinkin' the kool-aid already this morning. Dunno why he's got such a nasty streak in 'im - the rest of the Gators have become rather civilized of late.

G8trGr8t
1/2/2009, 12:54 PM
http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=4856.msg42131#msg42131

Ref site with lots of interesting threads and discusions.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/2/2009, 01:01 PM
i consider us to have a good, not great, pass rush. we rarely get to the QB in less than 4 seconds. 3 seconds from a defensive lineman is basically unimpeded at this level. so if you are going to tell me that there is no way that we can even provide even .4 tenths of a second of resistance then you need to be banned for the troll you are.

You are not taking into consideration that this is the FLORIDA defense. They are much faster.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/2/2009, 01:33 PM
I just hope neither team gets 15 yard penalties for hitting a guy half a step out of bounds when you have a 220 lb safety with a full head of steam trying to break up a pass coming over from midfield. You can't just stop that type of momentum on a dime.

i'm normally pretty objective about officiating, it was a curse thrown upon me a decade ago in the cotton bowl as i watched the most dominating running back performance i've ever seen. demond parker ended up running for 280 yards even though 250+ yards were wiped out because of useless stupid holding penalties. at some point, the refs started feeling sorry for him and stopped throwing flags on guys holding when he was 20 yards past them.

he was so unbelievably hot that day that had we just ran a center out there to snap to him and he went 2 on 11, he would have had over a 100 yards rushing (with 50 more called back for holding ;) ).

so this year with regards to officiating i only have 2 beefs.

minor annoyance - lack of block in the back calls on kickoff returns by big 12 crews.

major, **** me off, fury - the 3 drive sustaining late hit out of bounds penalties during the texas game on 3rd and long where our linebacker tries to keep colt mccoy up and he flops to the ground. the day the basketball flop makes its way into college football with regularity is the day i stop watching.

Partial Qualifier
1/2/2009, 01:51 PM
^^ I wish we had a clip of the one where TL lightly grabbed McCoy's jersey as he went out of bounds to try & slow him up.

"PERSONAL FOUL RIGHT THERE, FIFTEEN YARDS!! FIRST DOWN!!" :confused: :rolleyes:

the refs were horrible that day.

Sooner13
1/2/2009, 02:28 PM
Not sure where UF fans are getting the idea that Sam holds the ball forever in the pocket. If you go back and watch any highlights the ball is gone in 2-3 seconds the majority of the time. Evidence here for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXizioagrrc

A-M
1/2/2009, 02:41 PM
Not only late, but some helmet to helmet as well.

What he said!

A-M
1/2/2009, 02:43 PM

Yea. My poor old body hurt for Zac during that game.