PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to think UF wins...

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 07:34 PM
Our team is smarter...

The Gator football team recently received a critical look in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The story, reprinted Monday in The Gainesville Sun, showed that football and men's basketball players on the top college teams averaged hundreds of points lower on their SATs than their classmates.

The biggest gap at the 54 public universities investigated occurred at UF, where players scored 346 points lower than the overall student body.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said SAT scores are just one indicator of academic success. Applications from athletes are reviewed by a committee that includes faculty and admissions officials, she said, but not athletic officials.

She said the group admits students it believes will graduate. She pointed to UF's graduation rate of athletes, which at 87 percent is behind only Vanderbilt University in the SEC.

"University of Florida athletes are finding success here in Gainesville," she said.

The graduation rate for UF football players is lower, at 68 percent, according to a study by the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport.

UF's rate is tied for 26th best among the 68 teams playing in bowl games this season, the study found.

Its opponent in the national championship, the University of Oklahoma, is ranked third-to-last with a rate of 46 percent.

SoonerBoognish
1/1/2009, 07:37 PM
Doomed. Very Texas-like smack... and doomed.

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 07:38 PM
Im not smart enough to understand what your talking about.

SoonerBoognish
1/1/2009, 07:38 PM
I think he's trying to imply that you, and everything you're interested in, is stupid.

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 07:39 PM
well duh, of course were stupid.

PrideTrombone
1/1/2009, 07:40 PM
All that tells me is that it's easier to get a degree from UF than it is from OU. :)

We'll keep this in mind for the pre-game spelling bee.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2009, 07:41 PM
Doomed!

But doesn't Terry Bradshaw have 4 superbowl rings? His IQ has been estimated to be equal to a sack of rocks.

8timechamps
1/1/2009, 07:43 PM
I'll take a team full of dumb jocks that win a championship over a diploma mill squad anyday.

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 07:44 PM
"Tebow's major is in family, youth and community sciences ? An 8th grader, with reading and writing skills can have a 3.8 GPA in FYCS. I don't think we offer that major at Oklahoma, you can learn that on the street." :P

SoonerBoognish
1/1/2009, 07:45 PM
Doomed!

But doesn't Terry Bradshaw have 4 superbowl rings? His IQ has been estimated to be equal to a sack of rocks.

Well, he does have the same hair style as the monster on Young Frankenstein.
"Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?"

sooner2b09
1/1/2009, 07:46 PM
our players dont take the SAT if they are in Oklahoma or Texas, they are most likely taking the ACT, does this matter at all? no.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2009, 07:47 PM
our players leave early for the NFL, ;)

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 07:50 PM
Tebow without football can work at The Boys and Girls Club, or at a YMCA. Sam without football can represent Merill Lynch or Prudential. This is Tebow without football...
http://striderdemme.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/burn_after_reading.jpg

sooneron
1/1/2009, 07:50 PM
So what you're saying is that you're barely in the top half. I had no idea that UFla was like the Princeton of the SE.

Hooray YOU!!! You cracked the 50 percentile!!!!

That, or you have people taking tests and handing in papers that have a jock's name on it. Slippery slope there when you beat you chest on this one...

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 07:51 PM
Well, he does have the same hair style as the monster on Young Frankenstein.
"Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?"

"Abby."

"Abby who?"

"Abby Normal."

OUinFLA
1/1/2009, 07:51 PM
This is not a relevant argument.
Otherwise, Vandy would have beat UF.

sooneron
1/1/2009, 07:52 PM
Tebow without football can work at The Boys and Girls Club, or at a YMCA. Sam without football can represent Merill Lynch or Prudential. This is Tebow without football...
http://striderdemme.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/burn_after_reading.jpg

or this...

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060903AO_billy_burkeBYLIZ_450.jpg

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 08:00 PM
or this...

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060903AO_billy_burkeBYLIZ_450.jpg

not many career opportunities for that young man.

sooneron
1/1/2009, 08:02 PM
He has moxie, he could make a killing on the used car lot. Wait a minute...

sooneron
1/1/2009, 08:03 PM
BTW, Merrill is not the best example FYI...

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 08:05 PM
BTW, Merrill is not the best example FYI...

If Sam was there, it may still have a future.

swardboy
1/1/2009, 08:09 PM
This is not a relevant argument.
Otherwise, Vandy would have beat UF.

Commodore pwned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoonerBoognish
1/1/2009, 08:13 PM
I'm surprised Vincent Wonderlic hasn't been brought up.

bluedogok
1/1/2009, 08:14 PM
The formula for calculating graduation rates are flawed, it only accounts for freshman students graduating within a six year period but leaves out transfers in who graduate. Players like Ryan Humphrey who transfer out are counted as a negative even though he ended up graduating from Notre Dame. Among the players that are counted as a "non-graduate" even if they are in good academic standing are ones who leave school early to go to the pros, those who transfer to another school or those that leave for other reasons. If a player transfers in from either a JC or another school and graduate they are not counted. So transfer players like Nate Hybl, Josh Heupel (and some others) who graduated are not included in the equation.

So the whole equation is fundamentally flawed.

L-Boy
1/1/2009, 09:14 PM
The formula for calculating graduation rates are flawed, it only accounts for freshman students graduating within a six year period but leaves out transfers in who graduate. Players like Ryan Humphrey who transfer out are counted as a negative even though he ended up graduating from Notre Dame. Among the players that are counted as a "non-graduate" even if they are in good academic standing are ones who leave school early to go to the pros, those who transfer to another school or those that leave for other reasons. If a player transfers in from either a JC or another school and graduate they are not counted. So transfer players like Nate Hybl, Josh Heupel (and some others) who graduated are not included in the equation.

So the whole equation is fundamentally flawed.

I agree. The Gators in the past have been on the bad side of this statistic, so I am not really sure what it says. If a player goes early to the NFL, where he makes hundreds of thousands of dollars, that is far more than he ever will make from his college degree - so when a good team has kids going early to the NFL, I don't view that as a negative. Also, as stated above, transfers out are not deducted from the denominator. If a player takes more than 5 or 6 years, whatever the period is, that doesn't count.

In fairness UF was one of the lowest incoming SAT's of all schools, lower than OK as I recall. I am glad UF seems be doing a better job recently of getting them degrees, but I suspect that probably take a dip again with some of the talent and their propensity to leave early.

ratedrsuperstar
1/1/2009, 09:44 PM
Using their formula and your reasoning Ga Tech should have beaten anyone they played, but it didn't work out against LSU last night did it ?

OUinFLA
1/1/2009, 09:48 PM
Using their formula and your reasoning Ga Tech should have beaten anyone they played, but it didn't work out against LSU last night did it ?

Well, duh, lsu is in the SEC!

sooneron
1/1/2009, 09:52 PM
Sec Sec Sec!!!

cheezyq
1/1/2009, 10:19 PM
All that tells me is that it's easier to get a degree from UF than it is from OU. :)

We'll keep this in mind for the pre-game spelling bee.

That's exactly what that's always meant to me. I always found that stat hilarious.

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 10:24 PM
Our team is smarter...

The Gator football team recently received a critical look in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The story, reprinted Monday in The Gainesville Sun, showed that football and men's basketball players on the top college teams averaged hundreds of points lower on their SATs than their classmates.

The biggest gap at the 54 public universities investigated occurred at UF, where players scored 346 points lower than the overall student body.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said SAT scores are just one indicator of academic success. Applications from athletes are reviewed by a committee that includes faculty and admissions officials, she said, but not athletic officials.

She said the group admits students it believes will graduate. She pointed to UF's graduation rate of athletes, which at 87 percent is behind only Vanderbilt University in the SEC.

"University of Florida athletes are finding success here in Gainesville," she said.

The graduation rate for UF football players is lower, at 68 percent, according to a study by the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport.

UF's rate is tied for 26th best among the 68 teams playing in bowl games this season, the study found.

Its opponent in the national championship, the University of Oklahoma, is ranked third-to-last with a rate of 46 percent.

There's no way your a Florida Fan.

I smell BEVO. :texan:

What a retard.

XingTheRubicon
1/1/2009, 10:25 PM
I beg to differ.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7747/snt200812290002fgex0.png (http://imageshack.us)
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/snt200812290002fgex0.png/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img353/snt200812290002fgex0.png/1/)

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20081229/?pg=2

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 10:28 PM
So he even got it wrong Ruby?

Definitely a whorn...lol

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 10:30 PM
There's no way your a Florida Fan.

I smell BEVO. :texan:

What a retard.

Maybe you need 2 ply then.

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 10:36 PM
You should pull your head outta your a$$.

oupride
1/1/2009, 10:43 PM
Hey Big Red, how do I change my vote in P3 Gator poll?

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 10:53 PM
Hey Big Red, how do I change my vote in P3 Gator poll?

Hey, how'd you feel if he accused yo of being a Texas fan (and a retard)?

Frozen Sooner
1/1/2009, 10:56 PM
So an article showing that Florida football players average almost 350 points lower on their SATs than other Florida freshmen shows that they're smart?

Hmmm.

Dexter Manley has a degree.

Edit: Whoops. They have a lower SAT than the student body as a whole, which means even THEIR abysmal SATs were averaged in. Even worse.

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 10:57 PM
Hey, how'd you feel if he accused yo of being a Texas fan (and a retard)?

I'm not accusing you of anything.

I'm saying what many of us are thinking.

fadada1
1/1/2009, 11:01 PM
I'm surprised Vincent Wonderlic hasn't been brought up.

no need to trample on 1/2 the man's shoe size.

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 11:05 PM
I'm not accusing you of anything.

I'm saying what many of us are thinking.

OK, here's the link I pulled the article from:

Link (http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20081231/NEWS/812310935/1130?Title=UF_responds_to_SAT_report)

Go to the forums and check it out. I'm jereed16 over there.

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 11:07 PM
OK, here's the link I pulled the article from:

Link (http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20081231/NEWS/812310935/1130?Title=UF_responds_to_SAT_report)

Go to the forums and check it out. I'm jereed16 over there.

Holy ****. We're you already banned from here once?

Going for two are we?

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 11:14 PM
Holy ****. We're you already banned from here once?

Going for two are we?

No offense intended. They can be pretty tuff on trolls over their too. No biggie if you're just having a good time.

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 11:17 PM
No offense intended. They can be pretty tuff on trolls over their too. No biggie if you're just having a good time.

Nope. I'm not having a good time.

I don't like you.

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 11:25 PM
Nope. I'm not having a good time.

I don't like you.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe we'll have a beer together some day.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2009, 12:10 AM

This is true at a lot of schools. Here's the catch: A player that the committee turns down can still be accepted through special admissions.

I read somewhere that the average SAT for Florida players was below 1000. If that is the AVERAGE, then there are plenty of players that are being accepted that have no business on a college campus. The fact that they are graduating anyway probably reflects how easy their courses are.

By the way, the fact that there is such a huge gap between football players and the regular student body in SAT scores is direct evidence that their athletic skill has a lot to them being accepted. No two ways about it.

AlbqSooner
1/2/2009, 07:26 AM
The print on Xing's post is almost too small to read, but it does say that Florida ranked 50th of 53 in average SAT.

Sorry P3 but yer pwned.

P3 Gator
1/2/2009, 10:17 AM
The print on Xing's post is almost too small to read, but it does say that Florida ranked 50th of 53 in average SAT.

Sorry P3 but yer pwned.

All I did was post an article that discussed admissions and made it's main point about graduation rates. Hey, let's face it, these young men (for the most part) aren't rocket scientists. Some schools do better than others but all give exceptions to these kids and give them a lot of extra help to get through. I think that's OK. If the school is going to make a lot of money off the program, I think they owe the kids (who might not normally be there) every opportunity to earn a degree and have a good life (with or without football) after graduation. Heck, I taught at the Naval Academy for three years and their football players (for the most part) would never have been there except for football. By the way, a lot of Navy football players end up doing very well in the officer ranks.