PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to hate USC

Since71ASooner4Life
1/1/2009, 07:00 PM
All the props in the world are needed to acknowledge what a great team they have been for the better part of 7 or 8 years. Maybe I'm just jealous and resentful, but they are rapidly becoming the NY Yankees of College football in my mind. When every year you load up on 4 and 5 start talent, it is inevitable that some portion of those players will live up to their recruiting billing. So what the heck does it prove when you field a team that obviously has the cream of the crop in talent, and you win? It is clear watching them that man to man they have superior physical skills than their opponents. How many long plays have we seen where the running back or receiver goes untouched, with no one coming within 5 years of them? It's not great play calling - it's each guy on the field dominating his man. Maybe I'm just sour grapes because I would be wooping it up if we got 5 or six 5-star recruits every year. OK, I'm just bitter and jealous - I admit it. But can I at least get away with bad mouthing the "I'm some celebrity's kid" punks on their roster like Clay Matthews kid? Go out and accomplish something before you start impersonating your father with that stupid hair cut. There, I feel better.

SteelCitySooner
1/1/2009, 07:02 PM
:confused: "starting" ?

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/1/2009, 07:04 PM
What took you so long.....Hating SUC since 1978......

sooner2b09
1/1/2009, 07:08 PM
we are glad your joining our club.

I hate USC more than Texas, at least Texas has a drop of class (after this year I am starting to reevaluate that)

Josh Eisenteith
1/1/2009, 07:11 PM

Heh! What really ticks me off is that whole "Reggie Bush" thing. They didn't even get a stern warning for that violation, which makes me hate SUC more.

olevetonahill
1/1/2009, 07:11 PM

nOObs :rolleyes:

Jacie
1/1/2009, 07:13 PM
That means you're only 30 years behind me . . .

chad
1/1/2009, 07:14 PM
They've been good again since 2002, it was after a long dry spell on the national level (I think since the late 70s).

It could all come crashing down March 2009 if the Bush trial actually sees the court room.
*crosses fingers*

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2009, 07:15 PM
Sorry Since71, but the "I hate USC" line is really long and you have to start at the back like everyone else.

The reason that 'SC is my #1 hate team is they have a recruiting advantage over everyone else. I feel OU can compete on the field and in recruiting against every other team, but not USC. That's why I'm hoping that Neuheisel can start getting some of those LA/San Diego players to come to UCLA. Also, it's not clear that 'SC is playing by all the rules in those recruiting battles (e.g. all those Reggie Bush stories).

Crucifax Autumn
1/1/2009, 07:17 PM
I've always hated 'em

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/1/2009, 07:19 PM
There are rules foe USC???????

cheezyq
1/1/2009, 07:22 PM
I highly doubt that a team could legitimately accumulate that much "talent" without offering at the very least a FEW NCAA-banned perks. It's just too bad that no one in power wants to lift up the covers and find out. It's not like it would be all that hard to find the violations.

bluedogok
1/1/2009, 07:29 PM
That's what I was thinking....

The 1973 tie for me....

we are glad your joining our club.

I hate USC more than Texas, at least Texas has a drop of class (after this year I am starting to reevaluate that)
They still edge out the Whorns to me....much longer hate streak going there.

Heh! What really ticks me off is that whole "Reggie Bush" thing. They didn't even get a stern warning for that violation, which makes me hate SUC more.
What that taught everyone is to never turn yourself in.....don't make it easy for the NCAA.

soonerboomer93
1/1/2009, 07:29 PM
mmmm, song girls

tommieharris91
1/1/2009, 07:34 PM
Since71, about half of your post describes OU.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/1/2009, 07:46 PM
Since71, about half of your post describes OU.

I know - I did acknowledge jealousy and resentment is at work here. I'm very partial to the Sooners and I admit subjecting others to more rigorous standards for criticism than I would accept against the team I love. It's OK that we get our share of blue chippers, and score 60 points a game with untouched pass plays and the like. I bask in every drubbing we hand the opponents. Just needed to bitch a little, and think Clay Matthews kid is a punk that needs a hair cut. That's all

tommieharris91
1/1/2009, 07:58 PM
And with all that talent around him, you would think Sanchez would have like like 60 TD passes this season, not Bradford. Is Sanchez overrated? Probably...

supes
1/1/2009, 08:12 PM
Something even us gator fans can agree with you on. Hate USC and the lovefest by Musberger is sickening.

delhalew
1/1/2009, 08:25 PM
The prophylactic posse can go straight to hell for all I care. Its obvious what there recruiting practices are.

Worse than that, these guys have an attitude that is so unsportsman like, its disgusting. There is no way we would get away with that much hemet to helmet contact, and hits just barely not called late. Of course, Stoops would never allow his players to pull that crap. Yet he still manages to field a physical, aggressive team.

Jack T.
1/1/2009, 08:35 PM
Starting? STARTING?? They long ago surpassed Miami as my "most hated" team. . .

And yes, I agree with delhalew.

L-Boy
1/1/2009, 08:44 PM
Sorry Since71, but the "I hate USC" line is really long and you have to start at the back like everyone else.

The reason that 'SC is my #1 hate team is they have a recruiting advantage over everyone else. I feel OU can compete on the field and in recruiting against every other team, but not USC. That's why I'm hoping that Neuheisel can start getting some of those LA/San Diego players to come to UCLA. Also, it's not clear that 'SC is playing by all the rules in those recruiting battles (e.g. all those Reggie Bush stories).

I can't speak for OK, but I will stack UF's talent and recruiting against USC.

Kind of an odd thread, if you ask me. Several posters just admitting outright that they think USC is better than OK.

I am certainly not just going to concede that USC may be better than UF. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. However, the top Big 10 team has been punked by the SEC rep two years in a row, so USC isn't doing anything different than LSU last year or FL 2 years ago. My purpose is not to pimp the SEC, clearly they have had mixed results in bowls and out of conference play this year - I am just saying what USC is doing, pretty much in a home game, is not that surprising.

lank77
1/1/2009, 08:45 PM
Are we hating USC because we can't beat them? Just Saying

HungaryGator
1/1/2009, 08:48 PM
Well I hate U$C and we whipped their ***...and they've never beaten us in 2 tries in the 80's. Their fans are the most arrogant "entitled" bunch you will ever see-every bit as bad as ND. What makes it really sickening is they play in the pitiful pac 1 and stomp some big slow 10 team and then the mediots spend 4 hours fellating them nonstop. I pretty much figured Mushmouth would show up to the game naked from the waist down standing in a big bucket waiting his chance.

Then I watched the broadcast. From the sea of white in the stadium I thought PSU had travelled really well. Turns out it was just Mushmouth loads overflowing the press box.

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 08:49 PM
Are we hating USC because we can't beat them? Just Saying

WE?

http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/3940/Troll.jpg

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 08:50 PM
Time to spray again....

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/myfask/258Troll_spray.jpg

IBleedCrimson
1/1/2009, 08:52 PM
I highly doubt that a team could legitimately accumulate that much "talent" without offering at the very least a FEW NCAA-banned perks. It's just too bad that no one in power wants to lift up the covers and find out. It's not like it would be all that hard to find the violations.

exactly. college football doesnt WANT to bring things like this to light. there is too much money in sc dominance. if one were to reveal that that the program's gains were obtained by illegitimate means, it would be devastating to the credibility of cf, which is unnacceptable to the powers that be. /rant

L-Boy
1/1/2009, 08:54 PM
In some sense I think the whole USC thing is amusing. Unless they go undefeated, they probably don't get into the championship game in the BCS, because their strength of schedule just isn't there. The Big 10 and the Pac 10 are the major obstacles to a 4 team playoff, which was proposed by the SEC. They are just in love with the whole Rose Bowl thing. OK, fine, but quit b1tching about the results when you get left out of the BCS championship.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2009, 08:55 PM
I can't speak for OK, but I will stack UF's talent and recruiting against USC.

Kind of an odd thread, if you ask me. Several posters just admitting outright that they think USC is better than OK.

I am certainly not just going to concede that USC may be better than UF. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. However, the top Big 10 team has been punked by the SEC rep two years in a row, so USC isn't doing anything different than LSU last year or FL 2 years ago. My purpose is not to pimp the SEC, clearly they have had mixed results in bowls and out of conference play this year - I am just saying what USC is doing, pretty much in a home game, is not that surprising.

Yes, I think USC has more talent than UF and OU and has since their current resurgence. Note I didn't say they have a better team, because I don't think they do this year. I lump OU/TX/UF/LSU/Bama/OSU as top notch teams just a step down from USC *in recruiting*. If USC has earned that advantage, then more power to them - I'm just not convinced. Fortunately, football is still very much a team sport and having better players is not going to guarantee a better team.

HungaryGator
1/1/2009, 08:58 PM
You're probably right about U$C having more talent than we do....this year. Our last 3 classes were ranked #2, #1, and #3. I know they do extremely well every year, but they can't beat that the last 3 years. Our Senior class is tiny while theirs is large. After this year, its even.

No1Better
1/1/2009, 08:59 PM
Prophylactic posse..now that's funny, I don't care who ya are

cheezyq
1/1/2009, 09:03 PM
I don't think anyone here thinks that USC is better than OU, now. They were in 2k4/5 for one game and they have the bragging rights for the moment. But when you play a 4th place game at home against an overrated team and beat them soundly, it's sad that some media punks choose to use that as an opportunity to say that USC is the best team out there.

Here's the bottom line, though. USC is the top team in a conference that just plain sucks. Yeah, they're 5-0 in bowls, but look who they've played, and how they've played. They supposedly are in the top 2-3 teams every year in talent gathering. They have all the star-power behind them in the universe, being at the heart of Hollywood. Yet despite all that, they have only 1 legitimate championship this decade. I think either overrated or underachieving describes USC more than anyone else in college football. Hell, OU is playing in its 4th championship game. Where is USC? Playing in the grandma of college football bowls beating up on an old man's team.

ETGator1
1/1/2009, 09:28 PM
USC is the FSU in the 90s ACC where they had no in conference competition except they don't have strong Florida and Miami teams on their OOC to keep them honest. Notre Dame has been crap during this run. USC could be what you guys and the media are saying except for losses to Oregon State X2, UCLA, and Stanford when none of those teams should have beaten them. The FSU in the 90s ACC would have cut through those teams like a hot knife through butter.

Insofar as recruiting is concerned, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. UF has had unbalanced recruiting classes over the years which led to a senior dominated team in 06 and a young team in 08. The results so far for 06 and 08 have been identical. Urban Meyer is trying to balance the classes so we reload every year and avoid 9-4 seasons like 07. The 09 class will have us there. The rankings of UF's recruiting classes have been neck and neck with USC. What hasn't been consistent is the distribution of players over the 4 classes.

USC = New York Yankees? No way. If USC had won the 4 or 5 national championships the media says they could have earned, then you could compare them to the Yankees.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/1/2009, 09:35 PM
USC = New York Yankees? No way. If USC had won the 4 or 5 national championships the media says they could have earned, then you could compare them to the Yankees.

Maybe a better comparison would be USC = Atlanta Braves. After all, during their respective runs of greatness, they claimed the big trophy only once.

L-Boy
1/1/2009, 09:39 PM
Yes, I think USC has more talent than UF and OU and has since their current resurgence. Note I didn't say they have a better team, because I don't think they do this year. I lump OU/TX/UF/LSU/Bama/OSU as top notch teams just a step down from USC *in recruiting*. If USC has earned that advantage, then more power to them - I'm just not convinced. Fortunately, football is still very much a team sport and having better players is not going to guarantee a better team.

I am not a big recruinik, but from what I have seen of UF's (and maybe OU's) recruiting rankings I think UF's (and OU's?) have been on par with or close to USC's. Otherwise, I agree with what you are saying. Recruiting rankings certainly correlate to on field performance, but its by no means a perfect correlation.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2009, 09:42 PM
I'm not dissing either OU or UF recruiting - they are among the elite (see another thread about the elite 11). I just think (i.e. just my opinion) that USC has and edge on the other elite 10 in recruiting. I'll like to see the stats, but it just seems like there are so many USC players not only getting drafted, but starting in the NFL. On top of that, they have many stars in the NFL. I'm proud of all our OU kids that get to play at the next level, but we don't have a large number of starters or stars. I've seen many analyst that think 10 of USC 11 defensive starters from this year will be drafted - that's ridiculous.

Hey, I'm glad that UF has had good recruiting classes the last few years. Before UF came on strong, it was Miami putting 8-10 players into the NFL every year with 2-3 in the first round. It's easy to see why Miami is generally hated with their thug history, and I'm glad UF is competing with them and even beating them recruiting in FL and around the southeast. Get too good though, and we'll start hatin' on ya :P

Dio
1/1/2009, 09:48 PM
All I know is, if Petey ever tests positive for an STD he'd better give Kirk and Herbie a call...

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 09:53 PM
All I know is, if Petey ever tests positive for an STD he'd better give Kirk and Herbie a call...

IF? :D

Since71ASooner4Life
1/1/2009, 09:54 PM
I'm not dissing either OU or UF recruiting - they are among the elite (see another thread about the elite 11). I just think (i.e. just my opinion) that USC has and edge on the other elite 10 in recruiting. I'll like to see the stats, but it just seems like there are so many USC players not only getting drafted, but starting in the NFL. On top of that, they have many stars in the NFL. I'm proud of all our OU kids that get to play at the next level, but we don't have a large number of starters or stars. I've seen many analyst that think 10 of USC 11 defensive starters from this year will be drafted - that's ridiculous.

Hey, I'm glad that UF has had good recruiting classes the last few years. Before UF came on strong, it was Miami putting 8-10 players into the NFL every year with 2-3 in the first round. It's easy to see why Miami is generally hated with their thug history, and I'm glad UF is competing with them and even beating them recruiting in FL and around the southeast. Get too good though, and we'll start hatin' on ya :P

If you accept Rivals as the authority, it is indisputable the USC has had overall the top recruiting classes over the last 6 or 7 years combined. As the one poster said Florida has been close the last few years, as has Bama and Texas. We've been slightly lower rated the last several years, and that probably is at least partially attributable to our Bowl performances / NC game losses. And the common thread of those who have had better recruiting the last few years has been winning NC's / Bowl games. Kids are eyeing the NFL, and if they believe playing on a NC team gets them noticed more then it's all understandable. We have a golden opportunity to influence that trend next week.

MamaMia
1/1/2009, 10:05 PM
All I have to say is...Hey USC...play somebody.

By the time we win our way through a tough conference, we're all worn out by the time we get to a bowl game. For the most part they play powder puffs all season under nice sunshiney skies.

Landthief 1972
1/2/2009, 10:09 AM
For me the issue with USC is that they are everything I hate about the NFL: arrogant jerks who strut around like the world owes them a favor and that nobody can touch them. They have zero humility. It only magnified when the Chargers moved to San Diego and the Raiders moved to Oakland.

SoonerJack
1/2/2009, 10:26 AM

Redundant redundant.

instigator
1/2/2009, 10:31 AM

I actually agree, but the point is that they are viewed as the Yankees of CFB by the media. Not by real CFB fans. Want an example? Colin Cowherd just said that "they are the NY Yankees of college football" on his radio show.

PLaw
1/2/2009, 11:11 AM

Ditto. And I'm sure Reggie was not a "one off". Just makes you wonder how many other "rule breakers" are in that program.

This problem will get swept under the rug for SC as the statue of limitations expires.

Had the same thing happened in Norman, wll then . . . . Bob, Joe, and David would have been tarred and feathered by the NCAA.

BOOMER

TUSooner
1/2/2009, 11:43 AM
I've hated them since the 1960's when I lived in southern California. I can't remember ever wanting them to win any game, and I can't imagine ever wanting them to win any game.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/2/2009, 04:26 PM

They probably had to call him to let him now to get tested!!!

oubose
1/2/2009, 07:34 PM
I've always hated USC but not as much as I hate texas, I bet texas (mccoy) felt left out last nite as all herbie could talk about was USC's dirty sanchez!