PDA

View Full Version : Hey, what happened to all the 60 point scores against OU opponents???

Toronto Sooner
1/1/2009, 02:58 PM
I thought ESPN has been claiming the following:

1) The only reason OU offense scores 60 points per game is because they play against useless defenses.

2) OU's defense suck!!!!!!! Big 12 offenses wouldn't be able to score any points against other defenses.

Last I checked, points given up by OU opponents during bowl games thus far appears to be reasonable:

* TCU - 16 points
* Missouri - 21 points
* Oklahoma State - 42 points
* Kansas - 21 points
* Nebraska - 14 points (at half time)

OU opponents have 3 wins and only 1 loss thus far. Given this winning record, one would think that OU opponents can score at least a few points right? And, not just against the OU defense, right?

If everyone can score 60 points against OU opponents then why did I not see anything close to 60 points in any of those scores, never mind 60 points across in all of the games?

The logic used by the so-called ESPN experts simply amazes me.

sooner2b09
1/1/2009, 03:08 PM
I kinda just tune ESPN out and say it will all be settled on the field.

Hokiefan
1/1/2009, 03:08 PM
I thought ESPN has been claiming the following:

1) The only reason OU offense scores 60 points per game is because they play against useless defenses.

The logic used by the so-called ESPN experts simply amazes me.

92.1 -- The average defensive ranking of Oklahoma's last six opponents

OKC-SLC
1/1/2009, 03:14 PM
92.1 -- The average defensive ranking of Oklahoma's last six opponents

0.00 -- The average number of people who think you contribute to this board in a positive fashion.

0.00 -- The relevance of VT football outside its pathetic conference.

OUinFLA
1/1/2009, 03:21 PM
besides, everyone knows we run up the score.

delhalew
1/1/2009, 03:24 PM
CBS had some equally boneheaded statements to make. One being "thus far in the bowl games Big 12 have shown their defenses to be suspect". Uhhh, not really. OSU looked pretty stupid, but no matter how good they are thats really not out of character.

Of course they had to throw in head to head and Texas' case for an AP title if OU WINS. Wins the game people. WOW.

SoonerShay
1/1/2009, 03:26 PM
Kinda convienent how you try to say last 6 opponents so you can throw Kstate crap defense in there to drag it down as much as possible.
Only thing is we didn't score 60 on them so they don't count, even though we did put 55 on them at HALFTIME!!

Right now nebraska has allowed 1 offensive touchdown to Clemson while we had 35 points in the 1st quarter!

OPSEC
1/1/2009, 03:32 PM
* TCU - 16 points
* Missouri - 21 points
* Kansas - 21 points
* Nebraska - 14 points (at half time)

I believe we are also talking about the low level of the Big 12. If THEY can do this against the other conferences, wait till the big boys play. I am actually impressed by how well the North guys are doing.

IBleedCrimson
1/1/2009, 03:38 PM
0.00 -- The average number of people who think you contribute to this board in a positive fashion.

!!!!:pop: :P :) :eek: !!!!!

sooner2b09
1/1/2009, 03:46 PM
the real question is, why is a hokie fan on this board?

soonerboy_odanorth
1/1/2009, 03:50 PM
Nebraska's D has effectively only given up 1 TD. Their O handed Clemson 2 TD's. (And Clemson's 60-yard drive was courtesy of a muffed punt.) They clean up the turnovers and they can still pull this one out. Go (the other) Big Red!

Hokiefan
1/1/2009, 04:03 PM

I'm a VPI graduate and most definitely pull for the Hokies when they play, but I realize that Blacksburg is not the most interesting place to go to school, and the reality of being a Va. Tech football fan is that a top five team every few years is about as good as it gets. I have no delusions/illusions about Va. Tech football.
I am, however, a huge college football fan that gets pumped up at this time of year.........which is why I take interest in your game with Florida.
As for the number of people who think I contribute, I'm a little disappointed with that number. I'm even more disappointed that so few people can rationally discuss a football game. Once I made my first post, saying that I was more impressed with Florida averaging 45 ppg in the SEC than Oklahoma averaging 54 in the Big 12, the only responses I got from most OU fans were ad hominem attacks. I can provide a link to an ACC Library if you don't understand the meaning of ad hominem.

Curly Bill
1/1/2009, 04:08 PM
I'm a VPI graduate and most definitely pull for the Hokies when they play, but I realize that Blacksburg is not the most interesting place to go to school, and the reality of being a Va. Tech football fan is that a top five team every few years is about as good as it gets. I have no delusions/illusions about Va. Tech football.
I am, however, a huge college football fan that gets pumped up at this time of year.........which is why I take interest in your game with Florida.
As for the number of people who think I contribute, I'm a little disappointed with that number. I'm even more disappointed that so few people can rationally discuss a football game. Once I made my first post, saying that I was more impressed with Florida averaging 45 ppg in the SEC than Oklahoma averaging 54 in the Big 12, the only responses I got from most OU fans were ad hominem attacks. I can provide a link to an ACC Library if you don't understand the meaning of ad hominem.

Sounds to me like you should be spending your time on a gator board...

...maybe they'll give a rats *** what you think.

OKC-SLC
1/1/2009, 04:09 PM
I can provide a link to an ACC Library if you don't understand the meaning of ad hominem.

I'm not sure I'd find the definition even if I read ALL the coloring books there.

;)

(spek--i looked back at all your posts and you've been a pretty good poster. i was a bit out of line)

birddog
1/1/2009, 04:11 PM
Sounds to me like you should be spending your time on a gator board...

...maybe they'll give a rats *** what you think.

good advice. he's already admitted he'll be living vicariously through the gators since his team doesn't have a national championship of their own.

Hokiefan
1/1/2009, 04:21 PM
good advice. he's already admitted he'll be living vicariously through the gators since his team doesn't have a national championship of their own.

I said that only in response to someone attacking me. Prior to coming on this board I had no alliance to either team, just my own personal opinion of which team should be favored.

Hokiefan
1/1/2009, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure I'd find the definition even if I read ALL the coloring books there.

I've kept a few.......I'll look for you:P

Curly Bill
1/1/2009, 04:31 PM
I said that only in response to someone attacking me. Prior to coming on this board I had no alliance to either team, just my own personal opinion of which team should be favored.

...but most of the peeps on this board do have an alliance, this is a Sooner board, not just some unaffiliated give us your football opinion board. You happen to be on the wrong side, and so it seems on the wrong board.

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 04:36 PM
It's funny how someone from another East Coat Team feels picked on when they come to a Mid-west Sports Board...roots for the opposition and suddenly feels that folks are picking on him.

OPSEC
1/1/2009, 04:43 PM
It's funny how someone from another East Coat Team feels picked on when they come to a Mid-west Sports Board...roots for the opposition and suddenly feels that folks are picking on him.

yeah, its like.....ad nausem!

Hokiefan
1/1/2009, 04:46 PM
...but most of the peeps on this board do have an alliance, this is a Sooner board, not just some unaffiliated give us your football opinion board. You happen to be on the wrong side, and so it seems on the wrong board.

In other words, all you want to hear is "OU is #1". Perhaps you speak for all Sooner fans and administrators, I don't know. I would have thought that some of you guys would actually enjoy some interaction with someone that is not a homer.

Curly Bill
1/1/2009, 04:48 PM
In other words, all you want to hear is "OU is #1". Perhaps you speak for all Sooner fans and administrators, I don't know. I would have thought that some of you guys would actually enjoy some interaction with someone that is not a homer.

Depends on the manner of interaction. To me you have come across as someone merely intent on flying the East Coast banner, that doesn't interest me.

Hokiefan
1/1/2009, 04:55 PM
Depends on the manner of interaction. To me you have come across as someone merely intent on flying the East Coast banner, that doesn't interest me.

Just because I picked Florida and I'm from Va.? I have no geographical ties. I was raised in Nevada and didn't even move to Va. until I was a sophomore in high school.

Curly Bill
1/1/2009, 04:56 PM
Just because I picked Florida and I'm from Va.? I have no geographical ties. I was raised in Nevada and didn't even move to Va. until I was a sophomore in high school.

You picked florida, you should feel more comfortable on their boards.

sooneron
1/1/2009, 05:02 PM
Hokie's line of thinking...

"I really think Florida is all that. I think I'll go register on the board of their next opponent. That's the ticket!"

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 05:31 PM
The Hokies play in the Orange Bowl tonite, and you are trolling our board trying to stir up ****? They could use your help and encouragement.

OKC-SLC
1/1/2009, 05:53 PM

where in Nevada?

Toronto Sooner
1/1/2009, 06:06 PM
Aside from numerous turnover mistakes (leading to most of Clemson's points), Nebraska looked excellent. It looks like they have taken big steps towards regaining respectability, especially on the D side.

Our opponents are now 4 wins and 1 loss in the bowl games. Another opponent plays tonight. The Bearcats have been inconsistent at times, but, when they are on they are really on. I'm believe they will bring their A game tonight. I believe they will spank the Hokies. At the very least, I think the Bearcats D will control the Hokie offense.

I want the Bearcats to win, and then Texas Tech, but then I want the Texas Longhorns to lose 65 to 0.

Hokiefan
1/1/2009, 06:15 PM
where in Nevada?

Sparks

PDXsooner
1/1/2009, 06:27 PM
Hokie fan -- there are literally millions of websites on-line. Why visit one where you are not welcome?

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 06:57 PM
Hokie fan -- there are literally millions of websites on-line. Why visit one where you are not welcome?

Yeah, get the hell out of here. No one likes you, and its your own doing. Do us all a favor and join gatorsports.com. Leave...just...go. :(
http://super-genius.org/images/retard.jpg

Hokiefan
1/1/2009, 07:13 PM
deleted

Hokiefan
1/1/2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah, get the hell out of here. No one likes you, and its your own doing. Do us all a favor and join gatorsports.com. Leave...just...go. :(

Actually, a few OU fans have sent me very nice personal messages, one actually welcoming me. I don't think in generalities, so I don't dislike all OU fans because of things said to me. With that being said, I'm probably not going to post after today, even though I have very much enjoyed this site.

Why the OU forum and not the Gator forum? Well, on that site I would be just another "Gators are #1" poster. I'm not a Gator fan, so what's the fun in that?

AlbqSooner
1/1/2009, 07:17 PM
With that being said, I'm probably not going to post after today, even though I have very much enjoyed this site.

Prolly cuz today is the day the Hokies end up looking - well - hokey in the Orange Bowl.:D

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 07:20 PM
Actually, a few OU fans have sent me very nice personal messages, one actually welcoming me. I don't think in generalities, so I don't dislike all OU fans because of things said to me. With that being said, I'm probably not going to post after today, even though I have very much enjoyed this site.

Why the OU forum and not the Gator forum? Well, on that site I would be just another "Gators are #1 poster." I'm not a Gator fan, so what's the fun in that?

Im sorry, I was just joking, Really meant no offense, truly.

bluedogok
1/1/2009, 07:57 PM
We all know the ACC is nothing more than some SEC wannabes......after all they were chanting "ACC" at the Boise bowl the other night :D

It must be a southeast thing because no one else seems to do that. I don't recall hearing the "ACC" chant much from the BC fans either.

TUSooner
1/1/2009, 08:04 PM
Cut the hokie guy some slack.

Dio
1/1/2009, 11:07 PM
If I want to hear uninformed opinions from unqualified sources I can go to ESPN, SI.com, CBS, etc. I really don't need Jefferson Aggie here spouting the same crap.

(Not directed at you, TU- my post just happened to follow yours)

47Wins
1/1/2009, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE=Hokiefan;2547544]Actually, a few OU fans have sent me very nice personal messages, one actually welcoming me. I don't think in generalities, so I don't dislike all OU fans because of things said to me. With that being said, I'm probably not going to post after today, even though I have very much enjoyed this site.

A couple of things, first you state that several OU fans have sent nice personal messages, how?? You seem to have personal messages turned off.

Second, the stats being quoted concerning UF and OU defenses and offenses are at best suspect. UF and the SEC have great defensive ratings, but is it because they are good defenses or because they play against poor offenses. Conversely does the big twelve south feature great offenses or do they play against lousy defenses. You can make a case either way and we'll have a better idea after the 8th.

Toronto Sooner
1/2/2009, 12:22 AM
Bowl game points scored on 2008 OU opponents - updated:

* TCU - 16 points
* Missouri - 21 points
* Kansas - 21 points
* Nebraska - 21 points
* Cincinnati - 20 points

I still don't see anyone else putting up the type of points we did on these opponents.

Ground_Attack
1/2/2009, 01:17 AM

Did you mean homer or gomer? We all know which one describes you. In which case, we do not enjoy.

StoopTroup
1/2/2009, 01:26 AM
A couple of things, first you state that several OU fans have sent nice personal messages, how?? You seem to have personal messages turned off.

It was probably through some of that red SPEK he's got...lol

Oldnslo
1/2/2009, 11:40 AM
Hokies have fans?

VA Sooner
1/2/2009, 02:17 PM
I'm a born and bred Sooner fan with two degrees from OU. I'm living here in Virginia and fly my teams colors on my hats, shirt, ties, etc at game time. My friends here are Hokies and we've banded together through this bowl season. Had a great time watching the Orange Bowl game last night and even envious of the Hokie Defense.

I know our defense will come through. Through all of this media hype, what's lost is the strength of our defensive line even with Granger out. And Lewis' 134 tackles, breaking Bosworth's record as a freshman. That's right... as a FRESHMAN.

Our boys will rise to the occasion and pull through. This year's attitude is a lot different... it's all business this year. No parties, no freedom to get into trouble as in Fiesta Bowls past. Being ignored and given the part of the underdog is perfect... lack of respect means more hunger to prove the pundits wrong.

I welcome the fans of other teams if they have something intelligent to add. Some great posters in the past few weeks... like "how to protect against the spread offense", "how to cover a mobile QB", "how a dual-threat player like Harvin is covered by a 4-3-4 defense"... this is why I read this forum.

Not to hear the rants and ravings of fans with no clue about the concepts and strategies of how to play football.

Let's not forget... these are kids playing the game in college (well... mostly kids. A few men amongst boys... i.e. Peterson).

oubose
1/2/2009, 08:13 PM
So Hokiefan is really a gay-tor fan? Who's your 3rd favorite team dumb sh*t!