PDA

View Full Version : Discuss...

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 11:05 AM
This guy seems to recap a lot of the defense arguments wesee here. Why is he wrong?

defense (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/98589-the-sooners-defense-is-ready-to-dominate-tebow-and-the-gators-huh#poll)

A-M
1/1/2009, 11:11 AM
This guy seems to recap a lot of the defense arguments wesee here. Why is he wrong?

defense (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/98589-the-sooners-defense-is-ready-to-dominate-tebow-and-the-gators-huh#poll)

The only thing I will say is this. The amount of points that you score on us is only important as to how it relates to how many points that we score on you. Beyond that, nothing else matters. Trust me on this, we WILL score more points on you then you will score on us. Take it to the bank cause I already have. But, thanks for the article, even if he didn't know what he was talking about.

ETGator1
1/1/2009, 11:19 AM
I do think he's a bit hard on the OU running game. OU is rated #18 in the nation against the run, only 2 spots higher than UF. Of course, that number is somewhat deceiving with OU playing in a pass crazy conference.

The 17 point margin for UF is the same I've predicted. However, I've got UF picking up a special teams score or getting the short field with special teams plays that he didn't even mention.

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 11:24 AM
I don't think he's giving them enough respect either. The fact is, they won their games except Tejas and they lost a very good MLB in that one. Tejas picked that scab all day long.

GG84
1/1/2009, 11:29 AM
OU is pretty much the Mike D'Antoni Phoenix Suns from the middle of this decade.

Lots of wins and entertaining during the regular season, but when it comes time to win a championship they always run into a team that plays good defense, slows the tempo, and takes them out of their game.

Steve Nash (League MVP) = Sam Bradford (Heisman Trophy winner)

SoonerBacker
1/1/2009, 11:33 AM
The guy lost all credibility for me when he made the following comment: "...45 points to a one-dimensional Texas offense..."

1.) One of tu's touchdowns was on a kick-off return. You can't hold OUr
defense accountable for that one. Special teams? Yes. So OUr defense
actuially gave up 38.

2.) A one-dimensional Whorn offense? He obviously did not watch the game.
The Whorns had 277 passing and 161 rushing. Not exactly what I would
call one-dimensional.

I don't see a lot of Sooners stating that we have a "great defense." We have one that can make some key stops. We also tend to bend, but not break. If OU can hold UF to some FGs instead of TDs, and OUr offense can score TDs when we get to the Red Zone, we should be just fine.

But this "analyst" claims that we don't play D at all. I just hope your coaches feel the same way and that all of the "analysts" keep this kind of talk up.
If they do, you might be in for quite a surprise come 1-08-09.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/1/2009, 11:42 AM
I think I'll go register on the Bleacher Report, seeing as how anybody can write for them. Srsly. But my ramblings wouldn't be quoted by Gators, because I wouldn't write stuff like that asshat.

:kelvin:

OUinFLA
1/1/2009, 11:44 AM
Ive never felt so bad about a game since...............
well.......... 2000. We were just lucky to get there.

We're Doomed.

Oh........... wait....

maybe we can just outscore Florida.
Would that be acceptable?

Mark_in_Tulsa
1/1/2009, 02:16 PM
I do think he's a bit hard on the OU running game. OU is rated #18 in the nation against the run, only 2 spots higher than UF. Of course, that number is somewhat deceiving with OU playing in a pass crazy conference.
The 17 point margin for UF is the same I've predicted. However, I've got UF picking up a special teams score or getting the short field with special teams plays that he didn't even mention.

You couldn't be more wrong. Let's look at fact instead of assuming SEC is good at any kind of offense.

Lets see if you faced tougher rushing teams.

Florida faced this year;

ATT/G

YARDS/G

YARDS/C

Oklahoma faced this year;

ATT/G

YARDS/G

YARDS/C

So yeah it's actually your numbers that looked skewed.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2009, 02:19 PM
Hey Jkm,

My name is Jeff and I am a College Football Community Coordinator for BleacherReport.com, a fast-growing sports network with 2 million monthly readers.

I think your post talking about the defense is a great topic for an article on Bleacher Report. I think your points were really well written and you explain them very well. I found the point about recruiting for stars instead of for fit a very interesting point. It would be great if you could join the Bleacher Report and share your opinion with the Oklahoma community on Bleacher Report.

We are working on growing our college football communities and would love to be able to share your analysis with our readers. Check out our site and let me know if you’re interested in writing or have any questions you can e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks Jkm,

Jeff

catsigater
1/1/2009, 02:21 PM
Sorry, but bleacherreport sucks. Their opinions have no more heft than yer basic MB post (sometimes less).

mdklatt
1/1/2009, 02:22 PM
Why is he wrong?

Maybe because he ate paint chips when he was a kid?

He falls into the same logical trap as a lot of people by assuming that Big 12 offenses are no big deal because Big 12 defenses suck but SEC defenses are clearly awesome because SEC offenses don't suck even a little bit.

In approximately 13 bowl game quarters played so far, four SEC offenses have scored 57 points against inferior non-SEC defenses. Take away LSU, and that's only 19 points in 9 quarters. Seems to me that those highly-rated SEC defenses might had a lot of stat padding against weaksauce offenses this year.

DMAFB_Sooner08
1/1/2009, 03:42 PM
OU is pretty much the Mike D'Antoni Phoenix Suns from the middle of this decade.

Lots of wins and entertaining during the regular season, but when it comes time to win a championship they always run into a team that plays good defense, slows the tempo, and takes them out of their game.

Except not

3 Straight Big XII Championships
--6 since 200
1 BCS National Champ.

I would say that is a few championships.

adoniijahsooner
1/1/2009, 03:53 PM
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/ronald_gutter.jpg

OPSEC
1/1/2009, 03:53 PM
Maybe because he ate paint chips when he was a kid?

He falls into the same logical trap as a lot of people by assuming that Big 12 offenses are no big deal because Big 12 defenses suck but SEC defenses are clearly awesome because SEC offenses don't suck even a little bit.

In approximately 13 bowl game quarters played so far, four SEC offenses have scored 57 points against inferior non-SEC defenses. Take away LSU, and that's only 19 points in 9 quarters. Seems to me that those highly-rated SEC defenses might had a lot of stat padding against weaksauce offenses this year.

nice

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 04:00 PM
Man I could use a Quarter-Pound Cheeseburger right now.

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 04:14 PM

So I assume that Florida is the Detroit Pistons?

Timmy = Chauncy Billups?

GG84
1/1/2009, 04:47 PM
Except not

3 Straight Big XII Championships
--6 since 200
1 BCS National Champ.

I would say that is a few championships.

Lol thanks for proving my point. I seem to recall that the OU national championship team relied heavily on DEFENSE and an offense that made plays when it had to. Quite different than this current Sooner team.

OUinFLA
1/1/2009, 04:49 PM
Man I could use a Quarter-Pound Cheeseburger right now.

Does that mean you already have your face paint on?

GG84
1/1/2009, 04:53 PM
So I assume that Florida is the Detroit Pistons?

Timmy = Chauncy Billups?

I'd say last year's Celtics. We have the Big Three (Tebow, Harvin, Spikes) and we play championship level defense.

Sooner13
1/1/2009, 07:24 PM
LMAO, this comment cracked me up.

by Michael
about 24 hours ago

Sorry but Bradford winnig heisman is like adding water to fire. OU's defense is nothing special and neither is there offense. They do not play a hard schedule except for maybe TT and Texas but those are two high powered offenses. OU is going to see that Bradford is there secret weapon to the win and are going to be very over confident against the best team in college football. And i know they are ranked #2 but after beating the #1 team they should be at the top and they are in my mind. When is the last time OU has been to a national championship....not latley. Dont forget Urban Myers and the gators are not new to this championship Tebow and his team know what to expect. And they will use that in there advantage to intimidate oklahoma. Florida wins big 52-21.

cjones28
1/1/2009, 11:27 PM
Sooner13, "Michael" is a ****ing idiot.

When has OU been to a nat'l championship? Not lately? Well neither has Florida then by that standard, you retard.

GrapevineSooner
1/1/2009, 11:52 PM
SBN >>>>>>>> Bleacherreport

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 11:56 PM
Does that mean you already have your face paint on?

I really need to shave. :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2009, 12:03 AM
First off the guy that wrote that is a major league ****tard.
Secondly, we know our D gives up yards and points but they get turnovers out the azz and our O scores at will.
thirdly, when our *** was really in the fire we basically demolished the highest powered offense in the country in Tech.
and last...Florida's just gonna lose. .

Rhino
1/2/2009, 12:09 AM
I prefer to get my National Championship Game analysis from xanga.

FlatheadSooner
1/2/2009, 04:18 AM
Lol thanks for proving my point. I seem to recall that the OU national championship team relied heavily on DEFENSE and an offense that made plays when it had to. Quite different than this current Sooner team.

YOU are correct sir!

Heavy on OFFENSE + Defensive Plays When Has to = OU 8th Nat'l Champ
:cool:

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2009, 04:55 AM
Yep...We whoop their azzes!

BigRedJed
1/2/2009, 07:19 AM
The guy lost all credibility for me when he made the following comment: "...45 points to a one-dimensional Texas offense..."...
No, he didn't LOSE credibility, he never HAD credibility. The problem is that non-discerning web surfers see a professional-looking sports-themed interface and assume the have landed on a site where experienced, compensated sports journalists or experts are rendering an opinion.

He writes for the Bleacher Report. He is not a sports journalist and never has been. He is a fan, and his opinions are no different or more credible than the ones posted on random message boards elsewhere. I mean seriously, EVERY SINGLE POSTER ON THIS BOARD COULD BE AN "ANALYST" FOR THE BLEACHER REPORT. Think I'm wrong? Go look. All you have to do to become a "writer" for that site is to register.

I love the Internet and hate it at the same time.

SoonerBacker
1/2/2009, 08:10 AM
^^^^Point taken.^^^^