10-10-08 at Louisiana State
10-17-08 ARKANSAS
10-24-08 at Mississippi State
10-31-08 vs. Georgia @Jacksonville, FL
11-7-08 VANDERBILT
11-14-08 at South Carolina
11-21-08 FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
11-28-08 FLORIDA STATE

This out of conference schedule is an embarassment.

If I was a season ticket holder, I would be pi$$ed!

Rhino
1/1/2009, 03:14 AM
Troy is a solid non-conference game.

The other two are just a notch above East Popcorn State.

Crucifax Autumn
1/1/2009, 03:21 AM
But East popcorn beat Troy 27-10 this year!

SoonerBacker
1/1/2009, 08:26 AM
But they play in the SEC!!! SEC!!! SEC!!! That's all that matters!!!

Circle City Gator
1/1/2009, 08:28 AM
Our OOC includes Troy, a bowl team, and Florida State, a bowl team.

Oklahoma's OOC next year includes Miami, a bowl team, and Tulsa, a bowl team. What about Oklahoma's other two OOCs? They're not even announced yet, meaning Oklahoma is shopping for a couple of cupcakes willing to take the appearance money.

Did you ever hear the one about people in glass houses?

OU4LIFE
1/1/2009, 09:15 AM
have I mentioned how doomed we are in the MNC game?

DOOMED I TELL YOU.

The day of reckoning is close at hand....Florida is just too fast.

Doged
1/1/2009, 09:22 AM

Oklahoma's OOC next year includes Miami, a bowl team, and Tulsa, a bowl team. What about Oklahoma's other two OOCs? They're not even announced yet, meaning Oklahoma is shopping for a couple of cupcakes willing to take the appearance money.

Nice attempt at deflection, but Fla's OOC schedule is still just as sad as it was before your post. :D

No one here liked having Tenn-Chat on the schedule this year. Admit it, you feel the same way about that upcoming slate for your team.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2009, 09:24 AM
is the BYU thing ever going to happen?

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2009, 09:26 AM

When it happens, hit us back up.

http://ballhype.com/story/byu_looking_to_schedule_oklahoma_in_2009_in_dallas/

http://www.cougarblue.com/content/view/17142/90/

soonerboy_odanorth
1/1/2009, 09:54 AM
Troy is a solid non-conference game.

The other two are just a notch above East Popcorn State.

You rang?

DCGator
1/1/2009, 10:04 AM
FLORIDA
2009 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
DATE OPPONENT
9-5-08 CHARLESTON SOUTHERN
9-12-08 TROY
9-19-08 TENNESSEE`
9-26-08 at Kentucky
10-17-08 ARKANSAS
11-7-08 VANDERBILT
11-28-08 FLORIDA STATE

First of all, I think our strength of schedule is going to be fine, if we are lucky enough to be in contention for the BCS again next year. You kind of skipped over Florida State as part of our OOC. But frankly as a fan this schedule sucks. I don't know why we can't schedule a decent mid-major. And we keep bringing in these 1-AA team which is inexcusable. There are about 80 or more D1 teams that would be just about as sure a win as a 1-AA.

fadada1
1/1/2009, 10:07 AM
florida state doesn't count. the ADs don't even have to call each other to schedule the game. nice try, however.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2009, 10:17 AM
At least they're not like Texas, scheduling FAU, FIU, UCF (all which have decent football programs--or better than who Texas schedules) and claim them as fierce "in state rivalries"

Texas does this with Rice, UTEP, Sam Houston State (2006), and Houston

ETGator1
1/1/2009, 10:48 AM
Florida State is better than Miami. FSU is ACC and clearly counts.

Troy won their conference and is better than Tulsa who couldn't beat non-SEC bowl team Arkansas.

FIU and Charleston Southern are one-way ticket patsies similar to what OU will schedule. These games are the ones I worry about. We lost Matt Patchen to a season ending knee injury and we almost lost Lawrence Marsh to a knee injury in the Citadel game this year. The refs let the Citadel OL chop block the whole game long. I really hate games like this because many times we come out with a season ending injury to a key player.

Looks to me like UF's road to the Rose Bowl will be a bit harder than OU's.

It really doesn't matter though as we're going to run the table in 09 for UF's third national championship in four years if Tim Tebow returns for his senior season which is likely unless he becomes a top 20 draft choice. He's not in the top 32 at this point so I think he's staying with UF one more year.

A-M
1/1/2009, 11:01 AM

It really doesn't matter though as we're going to run the table in 09 for UF's third national championship in four years if Tim Tebow returns for his senior season which is likely unless he becomes a top 20 draft choice. He's not in the top 32 at this point so I think he's staying with UF one more year.

Please ETGator1 tell me: why is Tebow not a top 32 draft pick if he is a better QB then Sam and should have won the 'stiff arm trophy' (according to so many of your UF people on this board) and Sam is in the top 10 by most everyone?

A-M
1/1/2009, 11:04 AM
First of all, I think our strength of schedule is going to be fine, if we are lucky enough to be in contention for the BCS again next year. You kind of skipped over Florida State as part of our OOC. But frankly as a fan this schedule sucks. I don't know why we can't schedule a decent mid-major. And we keep bringing in these 1-AA team which is inexcusable. There are about 80 or more D1 teams that would be just about as sure a win as a 1-AA.

DCGator, thanks for posting things that at least at time sounds like you have some knowledge in your head and will admit things that you really would rather not admist. I do appreciate you honesty and what you have to say here.

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/1/2009, 11:28 AM
Florida State is better than Miami. FSU is ACC and clearly counts.

Troy won their conference and is better than Tulsa who couldn't beat non-SEC bowl team Arkansas.

FIU and Charleston Southern are one-way ticket patsies similar to what OU will schedule. These games are the ones I worry about. We lost Matt Patchen to a season ending knee injury and we almost lost Lawrence Marsh to a knee injury in the Citadel game this year. The refs let the Citadel OL chop block the whole game long. I really hate games like this because many times we come out with a season ending injury to a key player.

thats b/c the nfl already has enough tight ends ;)

JGATOR
1/1/2009, 11:36 AM
FLORIDA
2009 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT
9-12-08 TROY
9-19-08 TENNESSEE`
9-26-08 at Kentucky
10-17-08 ARKANSAS
11-7-08 VANDERBILT
11-28-08 FLORIDA STATE

Every team schedules a couple of patsies. We added a 3rd with the addition of the 12th game. It is a pure money grab. You could do the same thing with, at least, a little better competition in that 1st or 2nd game.

ETGator1
1/1/2009, 11:42 AM
Please ETGator1 tell me: why is Tebow not a top 32 draft pick if he is a better QB then Sam and should have won the 'stiff arm trophy' (according to so many of your UF people on this board) and Sam is in the top 10 by most everyone?

Tebow is not in the top 32 because he won't be the first or second QB taken in the draft. I think Matthew Stafford of Georgia will be the first QB taken. The UGA offense has Stafford ready for the pro style offenses. Sam Bradford would be second on my list of NFL ready college QBs.

Tebow isn't NFL ready because UF takes 95% of our snaps in the shotgun. How many NFL offenses do that? In Tebow's last year, I think UF has an obligation to get Tim NFL ready by getting him under center and getting him used to the drop back passing he'll have to do in the NFL. UF won't dramatically change the offense, but the obligation is there to get Tebow NFL ready.

If UF fulfills its obligation to get Tim ready for the NFL, his draft status will go up dramatically for the 10 draft.

Insofar as college QBs go, I wouldn't trade Tim Tebow from UF for any other QB in the nation.

sooner518
1/1/2009, 11:50 AM
I think UF has an obligation to get Tim NFL ready by getting him under center and getting him used to the drop back passing he'll have to do in the NFL.

how many fullbacks actually get under center and drop back to pass in the NFL?!?!?!?!?!

A-M
1/1/2009, 11:59 AM
Tebow is not in the top 32 because he won't be the first or second QB taken in the draft. I think Matthew Stafford of Georgia will be the first QB taken. The UGA offense has Stafford ready for the pro style offenses. Sam Bradford would be second on my list of NFL ready college QBs.

Tebow isn't NFL ready because UF takes 95% of our snaps in the shotgun. How many NFL offenses do that? In Tebow's last year, I think UF has an obligation to get Tim NFL ready by getting him under center and getting him used to the drop back passing he'll have to do in the NFL. UF won't dramatically change the offense, but the obligation is there to get Tebow NFL ready.

If UF fulfills its obligation to get Tim ready for the NFL, his draft status will go up dramatically for the 10 draft.

Insofar as college QBs go, I wouldn't trade Tim Tebow from UF for any other QB in the nation.

Sounds like a good reason to me. Yea, right! After 3 years, do you relly think the UF is going to change how they play Tebow? If you do, I have some properity in your lovely state of Florida that I want to sell you for a real good price!:)

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 12:07 PM
Looking back, I conveniently left out Florida State - I thought that was a given on their schedule every year. (even if it is - that is solid to have either FSU or Miami every year - I seem to remember the Florida schools doing this in the 90's)

I think that leaning on Troy is weak. This is Johnny come lately at best, and nothing takes away from the fact that they are in the Sun Belt conference. This would qualify as a bonus to you since they are now better. (Their first bowl win coming in 2006, and 3 seasons removed from being 4-7)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not pounding our chest about us scheduling the toughest non-conference schedule out there, but those three teams are embarassing!

Circle City Gator
1/1/2009, 02:17 PM
Looking back, I conveniently left out Florida State - I thought that was a given on their schedule every year. (even if it is - that is solid to have either FSU or Miami every year - I seem to remember the Florida schools doing this in the 90's)

I think that leaning on Troy is weak. This is Johnny come lately at best, and nothing takes away from the fact that they are in the Sun Belt conference. This would qualify as a bonus to you since they are now better. (Their first bowl win coming in 2006, and 3 seasons removed from being 4-7)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not pounding our chest about us scheduling the toughest non-conference schedule out there, but those three teams are embarassing!

Get back to us when you know your schedule next year. Somehow, I doubt USC and Alabama left open dates hoping you would call.

Did you go to the Chattanooga game this year? Are you going to travel next year when Oklahoma plays there? What? They're not playing in Chattanooga? You mean Oklahoma schedules patsies? Wow. I'm shocked.

Did I mention something earlier about glass houses?

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 02:33 PM
Get back to me when you know the story about UTC. (I think that you're allowed 1 creampuff) It's nearly impossible to have an out of conference schedule loaded with BCS schools - nor is it smart -the way that the BCS is set up right now.

I got a big f'n rock in my hand . . .

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 02:34 PM
Did I mention that your non-conference schedule is despicable . . . ? :)

P3 Gator
1/1/2009, 03:17 PM
What's even worse about the OOC schedule is that they are home games (except for FSU which is a home and away series). So, folks coughing up big bucks for season tickets get treated to Charleston Southern and FIU. It really sux for them. Personally, I just buy the good games off Ebay and save big $$$ overall.

Some gator fans feel the same way...others don't.

OOC (http://forums.gatorsports.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3691038186/m/8901076128)

GG84
1/1/2009, 03:21 PM
Is Oklahoma really complaining about our strength of schedule? You could swap out the Big 12 North with the Sun Belt and the quality of play would be almost the same.

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 03:22 PM
What's even worse about the OOC schedule is that they are home games (except for FSU which is a home and away series). So, folks coughing up big bucks for season tickets get treated to Charleston Southern and FIU.

We are on the same track

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 03:24 PM
Is Oklahoma really complaining about our strength of schedule? You could swap out the Big 12 North with the Sun Belt and the quality of play would be almost the same.

Hehe. KU, MU, and NU aren't that bad, but I get your point . . . Next year . . . I'll get back with you. Careful though - I still got that big rock.

DMAFB_Sooner08
1/1/2009, 03:31 PM

Thats not true

IBleedCrimson
1/1/2009, 04:10 PM
But they play in the SEC!!! SEC!!! SEC!!! That's all that matters!!!

FINALLY someone gets it!

;)

GG84
1/1/2009, 04:37 PM
Thats not true

OK maybe the Sun Belt was a little harsh, but you're not going to get me to go any higher than the WAC.

No1Better
1/1/2009, 04:52 PM
OK maybe the Sun Belt was a little harsh, but you're not going to get me to go any higher than the WAC.

What a breathtakingly stupid statement.

Start your recovery, accept reality, it sucks to be a florida gator.

HungaryGator
1/1/2009, 10:47 PM
florida state doesn't count. the ADs don't even have to call each other to schedule the game. nice try, however.

doesn't count? Why not? There's no requirement that we play them. Our schedule is ranked in the top 10 just about every single year. Its been that way for decades. "IF" we were to have one year where our schedule ranked say, 30th that would not bother me a bit. Why should we be expected to have the hardest slate year after year after year? When fsu and miami were winning MNC's their rows were a heckuva lot easier to hoe. Hell, until 92 when the Big 8 expanded, OU's schedules were annually a LOT easier than ours were.

Circle City Gator
1/1/2009, 11:32 PM

It doesn't suck from where I stand. We won national championships in football and basketball in the last two years, and we're about to win another. What would suck, hmm, let me think about it.

Okay, I've got it. Being humiliated by Boise State on national television.

Yeah, that would suck.

supes
1/1/2009, 11:51 PM
As a season ticket holder, I hate seeing teams like that and only go because I have the tickets. But if the SEC is competitive next year, it won't matter because sos will still be high especially with fsu looking to be top 25 next year. I agree the patsies on our schedule next year look bad but that's life. I'm sure your ooc won't be much more spectacular. Same boat in my opinion.

OUinFLA
1/1/2009, 11:56 PM
It doesn't suck from where I stand. We won national championships in football and basketball in the last two years, and we're about to win another. What would suck, hmm, let me think about it.

Okay, I've got it. Being humiliated by Boise State on national television.

Yeah, that would suck.

Why was that humiliated?
They were ranked above us, it wasnt like it was a blow out , the game went into multiple overtimes...... Im not humiliated, I was dissapointed, but humiliation?
Im thinking humiliation would be closer to having an unranked team come into your own stadium and beat you.

StoopTroup
1/2/2009, 12:01 AM
Why was that humiliated?
They were ranked above us, it wasnt like it was a blow out , the game went into multiple overtimes...... Im not humiliated, I was dissapointed, but humiliation?
Im thinking humiliation would be closer to having an unranked team come into your own stadium and beat you.

Don't give him to many questions at one time.

adoniijahsooner
1/2/2009, 02:05 AM
I think Matthew Stafford of Georgia will be the first QB taken. The UGA offense has Stafford ready for the pro style offenses

How can an idiot Qb, with very little intelligence be taken before sam? Anyway, as far as your schedule I think the sec as whole have become accustomed to scheduling like this, because they feel the conference is so tough.

GG84
1/2/2009, 02:38 AM

Pretty sure the WAC champ took out the Big 12 champ in a BCS Bowl a couple years ago so I'm going to stand by my statement.

PLaw
1/2/2009, 11:30 AM
FLORIDA
2009 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT
9-12-08 TROY
9-19-08 TENNESSEE`
9-26-08 at Kentucky
10-17-08 ARKANSAS
11-7-08 VANDERBILT
11-28-08 FLORIDA STATE

uhhhh, take at look a the SEC teams on the schedule:

Tennessee - big question mark, but I doubt they will be a Top 25 squad.

KU - clearly average to slightly below average. Would probaby finish 5th in the Big 12 South and maybe 3rd in the Big 12 North.

LSU - Solid, elite program.

Arkies - recently, average to slightly above average. May finish 4th in the Big 12 South and 2nd or 3rd in the North.

MSU - deplorable.

UGA - Solid, elite program.

Vandy - Good season in '08, but probably won't repeat that success in '09 with return to mediocrity.

USC - Pretty poor.

So in 8 conference games there are two toss up contests. In the OOC, if FSU continues to improve, then that would be three potential quality wins and maybe four if Troy pulls a major upset.

Question is, if UF drops a game to a non-elite team, then why are they going to the RB? Like this year, SoCal had a much better loss than UF.

BOOMER

G8trGr8t
1/2/2009, 11:48 AM
UK, Vandy, and Arkansas are all expected to see improvement next year if you can beileve the sportswriters. Don't know how Arkie could get worse and they will be in their second year with new coach. UT will be a question mark, could be top 20 with the talent they have but who knows? Troy is a godd team, not elite, but good.

Other thing to consider is UF has 3 blood rivals with a fourth brewing. UTenn, Ga, FSU; anything can happen records be damned. Emotions in rivalries games like that open the door to all kinds of possibilities. LSU is getting that way too. How many blood rivalries does OU have besides UT?

I wish we would repalce at least one of the patsies with a solid OOC team. Maybe Iowa / Mich. State or Cal / UCLA. It is good to have one real patsy that needs a check towards the end of the year. Gives me a chance to take the kids and not have to worry about the intensity that makes some of the games not so family friendly for the little ones. Lets the seniors that may not have ever panned out get some playing time in front of their family and let's the first string guys get some rest heading into the FSU and SEC championship games.

ps - Thank you Iowa for keeping Penn State out of the NCG.

Answer to question above - Because they will have to beat at least 3 elite teams, maybe 5 pending Tenn & FSU, when you throw in the SEC championship game.

P3 Gator
1/2/2009, 11:58 AM
uhhhh, take at look a the SEC teams on the schedule:

Tennessee - big question mark, but I doubt they will be a Top 25 squad.

KU - clearly average to slightly below average. Would probaby finish 5th in the Big 12 South and maybe 3rd in the Big 12 North.

LSU - Solid, elite program.

Arkies - recently, average to slightly above average. May finish 4th in the Big 12 South and 2nd or 3rd in the North.

MSU - deplorable.

UGA - Solid, elite program.

Vandy - Good season in '08, but probably won't repeat that success in '09 with return to mediocrity.

USC - Pretty poor.

So in 8 conference games there are two toss up contests. In the OOC, if FSU continues to improve, then that would be three potential quality wins and maybe four if Troy pulls a major upset.

Question is, if UF drops a game to a non-elite team, then why are they going to the RB? Like this year, SoCal had a much better loss than UF.

BOOMER

Tennessee is a shame and I have serious doubts about Kiffen turning that ship around. Petrino will do well at Arkansas if he hangs around and the psychos don't push him away.

So, who's in the Big 12? Texas...good program.
Texas Tech...one good year; perennially disappoints.
Kansas...average at best...one good year.
Kansas State...average at best...no good year recently.
Missouri...one good year; plays in the weak sister division of the conference
Nebraska...solid program until Osborne left; Pelini will make them good again...well on the way.
Colorado...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Oklahoma State...see Kansas / Kansas State.
Texas A&M...great yell squad or whatever
Baylor...average at best
Iowa State...heck, their ex-head coach is our d-line coach

So, you play one team who is guaranteed to be good in conference next year, Texas.

There are three that might (or might not) be a challenge, Nebraska, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State. Of those three, only one has ever been elite, Nebraska and I wouldn't bet that they are back to that level (if they ever are under the brothers Pelini) by next year.

Your schedule is no harder than ours and you still appear to have OOC games to schedule (which won't be challenging). I see you have scUM next year. I predict Randy Shannon completes his melt-down next year and gets fired, so that's basically another easy OOC game.

HungaryGator
1/2/2009, 03:05 PM
For all the complaints about UF's OOC schedule this year, does anybody know what UF's strength of schedule was rated by the NCAA this year? Try #2. Its like that most years. OU's was #1 this year.

Why isn't U$CCCCCC not in the MNC Gammmmmmmmmme? (sniffle). Well a schedule ranked #42 this year might have something to do with it.........

sooners2k3
1/2/2009, 03:10 PM
FLORIDA
2009 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT
9-12-08 TROY
9-19-08 TENNESSEE`
9-26-08 at Kentucky
10-17-08 ARKANSAS
11-7-08 VANDERBILT
11-28-08 FLORIDA STATE

the teams may not be very good, but look at all that SPEED

BigDeezy
1/2/2009, 04:07 PM
I can't understand why no one has pointed out that if Florida took the road to the Rose Bowl that they showed up at the wrong Bowl game.

Circle City Gator
1/2/2009, 06:34 PM

BOOMER

That just makes you look stupid. USC lost to Oregon State. Florida lost to the team that just kicked the living cr*p out of one of three teams in a three-way tie for your conference and division championship.

BTW, is Baylor still in the Big 12 South?

L-Boy
1/2/2009, 06:47 PM

I agree - this schedule may not be as bad as it looks, and is probably no worse than OU's or anybody elses OOC, but still, I think UF could afford to put one more major program in there. Its just a function of greed and thinking you have to keep all of the OOC (except FSU) home games for the $$$

oupride
1/2/2009, 07:39 PM
Hmm, looks like Florida might go undefeated since there is no Ole Miss on their schedule.

Panamag8or
1/2/2009, 10:11 PM
Hmm, looks like Florida might go undefeated since there is no Ole Miss on their schedule.

Yeah, but we have Miss. State, and those Mississippi schools seem to have our number.

DMAFB_Sooner08
1/3/2009, 01:25 AM
I can't understand why no one has pointed out that if Florida took the road to the Rose Bowl that they showed up at the wrong Bowl game.

I thought about this myself, but wasnt sure if the original poster was referring to the Rose Bowl game or the Rose Bowl stadium (where the NCG will be next season)

A-M
1/3/2009, 11:13 AM
I thought about this myself, but wasnt sure if the original poster was referring to the Rose Bowl game or the Rose Bowl stadium (where the NCG will be next season)

I think they mean the stadium for the Championship game.

5 - Wide
1/3/2009, 12:00 PM
i give you the fact that OU schedule was tougher this year but honestly in the SEC there are some years where only SEC schools have NFL like schedule. i mean u guys play texas thats it. Thats the only other elite program you guys have. SEC UT,UGA,Bama,Auburn,UF,LSU...my point is all these schools recruit against each other in the south..OU and texas recruit against each other and thats it. 2 schools compared to 6..if u dont believe me go look at the top 10 recruiting classes over the past ten years..and thats where college football starts Recruiting