PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock loves him some Jayhawks

catsigater
1/1/2009, 02:53 AM
Jayhawks Look Like Big 12 North Favorite In 2009 After Insight Win (Linky) (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/960627.html)

Excerpt: With his 313-yard, four-touchdown afternoon on Wednesday, Reesing launched himself onto the Heisman radar. So did Briscoe, who closed his sophomore season with a record-setting, 14-catch, 201-yard, three-TD display. Meier, as usual, caught just about everything that hit his hands (10 for 113 yards and a TD) and tossed a touchdown pass to Briscoe.

The comparisons between KU’s trio and MU’s trio are just too obvious.

OK, Jeremy Maclin is better than Briscoe. And Chase Coffman is bigger and better than Meier. But Reesing’s improvisational skill, pocket awareness and long-ball touch are superior to Chase Daniel’s and give Briscoe and Meier more opportunities to make big plays.

I haven’t even touched on the real difference-maker: Mark Mangino.

Gary Pinkel is a good head coach. Mangino is special.

Kansas is going to field the best offense in the Big 12 next season. Mangino has too many tools at his disposal. He played this year with two redshirt-freshmen tackles and a true freshman tight end. His running backs return.

Kansas will score 50 in the Big 12 North and 35 on its South opponents. If the Jayhawks find some linebackers to replace Mike Rivera, James Holt and Joe Mortensen, they’ll be good enough defensively to win 10 games and surprise at least one of their Southern foes — Texas, Texas Tech or Oklahoma.

Better not look up Sooners, the Jayhawks will be raining (something) down upon you next year...

Caw! Caw!

anticipation
1/1/2009, 04:54 AM
Its ku, they are not going to beat oklahoma or texas. They will probably beat tech depending on where the game is. I dont feel like looking it up.

budbarrybob
1/1/2009, 05:48 AM
I like how he said Mangino was a good coach. Other than that it was pretty much filled with "OOOOH! Kansas just won a bowl game hoopla and I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon early" that way if Kansas just happens to win the Big 12 North then he looks like a genius and if they don't it'll be so damn early no one would remember the prediction...

Crucifax Autumn
1/1/2009, 07:00 AM
bring 'em on...I like mangina a lot, but it will be funny watching Stoops kick jabba in the gut again.

Dio
1/1/2009, 08:36 AM
Whitlock works in KC. He's been working the Mizzou side of the street the last few years, and now that Booger's gone he's going to work the Kansas side.

GG84
1/1/2009, 09:20 AM
I really like Reesing, he has great pocket presence and a very quick release.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/1/2009, 09:32 AM
Gary Pinkel is the worst coach, evar.

Maclin should have been a Sooner.

badger
1/1/2009, 09:39 AM
Gary Pinkel is the worst coach, evar.

Maclin should have been a Sooner.

Truth.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/1/2009, 10:07 AM
They should have a heckuva an offense next year.

But they'll be replacing 6 starters on D. Not insurmountable for them. But we have them at mid-point in the season, so there's some chance they won't have gelled. But then again, we will be at their place, and they hung with us in our Texas hangover at our place this year. So they'll be stoked.

The difference may likely be how many, or if, we lose to the draft either juniors or a certain RS Soph.

cheezyq
1/1/2009, 01:25 PM
Jayhawks Look Like Big 12 North Favorite In 2009 After Insight Win (Linky) (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/960627.html)

Better not look up Sooners, the Jayhawks will be raining (something) down upon you next year...

Caw! Caw!

Apparently you haven't read Jason Whitlock before...and yet you live in KC. Um...let's just say that he touted Ball State's QB as the best in the country...over Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Tebow.

catsigater
1/1/2009, 02:10 PM
Apparently you haven't read Jason Whitlock before...and yet you live in KC. Um...let's just say that he touted Ball State's QB as the best in the country...over Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Tebow.

Yah, I'm all too familiar with the self-proclaimed "Big Sexy". Just fulfilling my troll responsibilities here. It was a longshot that anyone would seriously take the bait, though.

Agree with budbarrybob comments about why he's touting KU. Notice JW left a huge "IF" in there, though. (soonerboy_odanorth picked up on it.)

If the Jayhawks find some linebackers to replace Mike Rivera, James Holt and Joe Mortensen,

I do agree Mangino's a pretty decent coach. KU is now respectable.

cheezyq
1/1/2009, 06:53 PM
Yah, I'm all too familiar with the self-proclaimed "Big Sexy". Just fulfilling my troll responsibilities here. It was a longshot that anyone would seriously take the bait, though.

Agree with budbarrybob comments about why he's touting KU. Notice JW left a huge "IF" in there, though. (soonerboy_odanorth picked up on it.)

I do agree Mangino's a pretty decent coach. KU is now respectable.

We like Mangino for the most part. He was our OC on our championship team in 2000, so no surprise anyone took the bait....that and JW was the writer.

Mangino is a good head coach. KU seems outmatched a lot of the time, but somehow they find a way to stay in the game and even win. KU should have beaten USF earlier this year, if it weren't for a silly throw that turned into an INT. They just seem to be well-coached and poised.