PDA

View Full Version : BCS vs PLAYOFFS

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 02:05 AM
How quickly we forget the "Conference Tie-ins" to bowls. Without the BCS, we'd be on our way to Miami, but we wouldn't be playing Florida - most likely Alabama.

Florida would be heading to the Sugar Bowl to play the next highest ranked team w/out an automatic bid - Utah.

Texas would be playing in the Cotton Bowl most likely against Ohio State.

The Fiesta Bowl on the other hand would likely get Texas Tech and Boise State which had the potential to be a pretty good game.

You would however still get your granpappy's favorite - USC vs Penn State. (Keep TRADITION ALIVE!!)

After the bowl games we'd have more posturing than Mack Brown on a recruiting trip to Jarmarkus McFarland's house.

Who is #1 now? Split "National Champion". Was it so bad? I don't think it was. The BCS was a definite improvement. Pitting the #1 & #2 teams in the country. But who is #1 & who is #2 - how do you determine this? This is the biggest problem with the BCS - determining 1 & 2.

Is a playoff better? Tell me this - Why is Indianapolis (12-4) playing on the road at San Diego (8-8)? Why is Atlanta (11-5) playing on the road at Arizona (9-7)?

This is the same kind of scenario that we will be facing if/when the NCAA implements a playoff that many (think they) want. There will always be a reason to cry foul on what is perceived to be un-fair. "USC had an 'easier road' to the finals than we did." You'd still have the "Tougher Conference" debate, as well. Life is unfair, and it always will be.

The BCS ain't that bad - :pop:

yermom
1/1/2009, 02:20 AM
i was making the playoff comparison like that yesterday when my buddy was seeming to whine about the BCS and New England staying home from the playoffs at the same time

catsigater
1/1/2009, 02:26 AM

Ayep.

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 02:46 AM
i was making the playoff comparison like that yesterday when my buddy was seeming to whine about the BCS and New England staying home from the playoffs at the same time

TRUTH!

New England at 11-5 is out, but San Diego at 8-8 is in? If you would've told the Chowder Head's in Bawsten that Brady went down early, would not come back, but they would have an 11-5 record - would they take it?

Heh.

DCGator
1/1/2009, 12:51 PM
I believe in a +1, that way you eliminate the whining come from uTX and USC still get's screwed!:)

fadada1
1/1/2009, 01:11 PM
and that's why conference tie-ins are BS!!!!

playoff with the top 8 teams (in the BCS) regardless of conference. if you lose 3 games in the conference, and still manage to win your conference, you think you deserve a shot at the title? ME THINKS NOT!!!!

edit: or have all the conferences play a championship game. welcome to 2009 pac10 and big10.

MichiganSooner
1/1/2009, 01:28 PM
If the playoff is designed correctly, we will not have an 6-6 team in the mix. I don't like the conference tie-ins to the BCS but the BCS was invented to make money for the power conferences. If we do not have a play-off, I am OK with it, I guess. But I prefer to see the Top 8 teams as picked by the BCS at the BCS bowls. The idea of excluding teams from the top 8 so that we have one or 2 from each power conference is for the birds.

PLaw
1/1/2009, 02:11 PM
If the playoff is designed correctly, we will not have an 6-6 team in the mix. I don't like the conference tie-ins to the BCS but the BCS was invented to make money for the power conferences. If we do not have a play-off, I am OK with it, I guess. But I prefer to see the Top 8 teams as picked by the BCS at the BCS bowls. The idea of excluding teams from the top 8 so that we have one or 2 from each power conference is for the birds.

Spot on! I have absolutely no interest in the OB. I hope the TV ratings suck so bad that it will start the wheels of change that we may see after the next BCS contract expires.

Before this season, I thought you would need to realign Div 1 into nine, 12 team conferences and let the playoff begin with the conference champions. After Tech got the shaft this year, I see the flaws with that scheme. Now, you should take the top 12 teams a create a playoff bracket that uses the BCS bowls and let the head knockin' begin.

BOOMER

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/1/2009, 03:10 PM
I was watching ESPN this morning and Mack and Co. are now campaigning for a split title.....and of course the TExPN guys are all for it.

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 03:55 PM
I was watching ESPN this morning and Mack and Co. are now campaigning for a split title.....and of course the TExPN guys are all for it.

They will need to beat OSU to make that argument . . . not a given.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/1/2009, 04:15 PM
How quickly we forget the "Conference Tie-ins" to bowls. Without the BCS, we'd be on our way to Miami, but we wouldn't be playing Florida - most likely Alabama.

Florida would be heading to the Sugar Bowl to play the next highest ranked team w/out an automatic bid - Utah.

Texas would be playing in the Cotton Bowl most likely against Ohio State.

The Fiesta Bowl on the other hand would likely get Texas Tech and Boise State which had the potential to be a pretty good game.

You would however still get your granpappy's favorite - USC vs Penn State. (Keep TRADITION ALIVE!!)

After the bowl games we'd have more posturing than Mack Brown on a recruiting trip to Jarmarkus McFarland's house.

Who is #1 now? Split "National Champion". Was it so bad? I don't think it was. The BCS was a definite improvement. Pitting the #1 & #2 teams in the country. But who is #1 & who is #2 - how do you determine this? This is the biggest problem with the BCS - determining 1 & 2.

Is a playoff better? Tell me this - Why is Indianapolis (12-4) playing on the road at San Diego (8-8)? Why is Atlanta (11-5) playing on the road at Arizona (9-7)?

This is the same kind of scenario that we will be facing if/when the NCAA implements a playoff that many (think they) want. There will always be a reason to cry foul on what is perceived to be un-fair. "USC had an 'easier road' to the finals than we did." You'd still have the "Tougher Conference" debate, as well. Life is unfair, and it always will be.

Interesting points, but I dont think it will never happen because of the impact of the money involved. Playoffs which subordinate the importance of current bowl games, will never maintain the same profitability. Which of the non participant schools that also share in the bowl game profits will vote in favor of that? Nothing happens without a reason, and we didn't get to where we are today by accident. JMO

OK2LA
1/1/2009, 04:19 PM
Interesting points, but I dont think it will never happen

So you think it will happen???:confused: