PDA

View Full Version : Dick Clark

Crimsontothecore
1/1/2009, 01:32 AM
The poor guy is painful to listen to. He looks good for 79 but sounds 95. Did he have a stroke or what? I'm sure it's old news and I've been under a rock but I'm just wondering.

1/1/2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah, he stroked out in 2004. Strokes are terrible, terrible things.

Crucifax Autumn
1/1/2009, 04:09 AM
I know he had a stroke and I honestly didn't see what he sounds or acts like now, though right after he sounded and looked pretty bad...no more eternal youth there.

I didn't see him tonight though...the family was watching the ghey-fest on CNN.

StoopTroup
1/1/2009, 10:58 AM
I remember when Kirk Douglas had his stroke. He was able to recover a little better than Dick. Kirk did a couple more movies but later yielded to good sense and went on to enjoy the rest of his Life. It's probably time for Dick to do the same IMO. It just doesn't seem like a Rockin' Good Time when your host makes you hurt for him from the inside.

Thanks for all the years of Rock n Roll Dick.

sooneron
1/1/2009, 11:16 AM
I feel bad for him, but he should have made one more appearance after the stroke to say good bye to the fans.
If he wants to speak on behalf of stroke victims or for the cause, that's one thing, but it's depressing as hell to see him "ring in the New Year" like this.

VeeJay
1/1/2009, 11:23 AM
Agree. We were commenting on his condition last night. Knowing he probably doesn't need the money, it must be difficult for him to do the New Years Eve program. As ST said, you hurt for him and that really doesn't capture the celebratory mood of the evening.

A tribute to his career at some point during the program would have been nice to see.

badger
1/1/2009, 11:48 AM
I just figured he had some facial surgery over the years to stay looking 20 years younger

OU_PhD
1/1/2009, 12:25 PM
He looks like he has had a stroke, some plastic surgery, and fears this might be his last ball dropping.

I don't know if its sad, because death is as much a part of life as being born, and he's had a hell of a life. He probably had more opportunities than a lot of us combined.

1890MilesToNorman
1/1/2009, 12:29 PM
Katie Couric is painful to listen to as well and as far as I know she is healthy!

Jacie
1/1/2009, 12:35 PM
I had a rare opportunity to see Kirk Douglas give a speech at his alma mater way up here in Canton, NY. He talked about his college days (he attended on a wrestling scholarship) and as young man from the big city at a rural place like this was a wolf among sheep, if you catch my drift. He recovered well but you knew he had had a stroke. During the question/answer session at the end I didn't have the nerve to jump up and yell, "I'm Spartacus!" but I wanted to . . .

tbl
1/1/2009, 12:51 PM
Jacie, that could have paid dividends galore or made you end up looking like dush of the century... Probably a good idea to keep it in, but man it'd have been a great story.

Re: Dick Clark... We watched it last year and it was painful as mess, and we were wondering if we'd get stroked out Dick this year. Brutal again... You'd think the guy would bow out and hand over the reigns. It's so uncomfortable...

sooner2b09
1/1/2009, 01:50 PM
sometimes you just gotta know when its time to give it up

1/1/2009, 03:29 PM
I don't think he has long... seems to have been a severe stroke. Sadly, with a personal family member going through this at around the same age, they tend to last 5-8 years.

KingBarry
1/1/2009, 10:13 PM
I've been out of the country the last few New Years, and I had no idea poor Dick Clark had sunk to this level.

The voice sounded tricked up to me -- I think he barely has a voice now and they used a synthesizer to massively boost the bass to make him audible. I guess they had to do it, but it was truly horrible to behold.

Everytime he came on, the whole room I was in fell silent to stare at this display.

If Mr Clark wants to participate in the Rockin' New Years Eves in the future, he should be restrained to a brief statement taped well in advance.

swardboy
1/1/2009, 10:59 PM
There's a "Dick Clark Diner" and music theater in Branson, MO. I think Bill Medley plays it regularly (Righteous Brothers) and other acts come in and out. Never been to it but it was voted best restaurant in Branson (prolly just ahead of Sadie's Sideboard & Possum Fritters).

stoops the eternal pimp
1/2/2009, 09:17 AM
I think the kiss between him and his lady was the most disturbing