PDA

View Full Version : The goals this year are looking tougher

8timechamps
12/31/2008, 06:52 PM
I mentioned in the “Will we go 16-0…” thread that I was concerned about the Arkansas game. More because of the unknown than what they had accomplished thus far this season.

Unlike football, basketball offers a true home court advantage. I don’t know if it’s because the crowd is so close to the players and the court, the number of team mates is much smaller in basketball, or just the quick turnaround, but I’ve always felt home court offered the ultimate equalizer in college hoops.

Nonetheless, the loss to Arkansas may have exposed a big weakness in the Sooners game. Some have mentioned the inept free throw shooting this season (I know 04 has made reference to it). The Sooners are shooting about 68% from the line. By comparison, arguably (and possibly factually) the worst free throw shooting team to reach a final four was last year’s Memphis squad shooting a pathetic 61%. The difference is that Memphis also fielded several NBA worthy players that made up for their poor charity stripe play by utilizing other talent on the floor.

No doubt the Sooners have to step up their free throw efforts if they’re going to make a deep run in March.

My bigger concern is Blake Griffin’s performance against quality opponents with size. While he still managed a double-double against the hogs, he struggled at times. With the Big XII slate upcoming, and filled with quality post players (Texas, Kansas, Baylor and even A&M…yes, A&M), I am growing more concerned about Blake’s ability to play night after night against conference opponents with talent.

I’m not ready to throw this season out, far from it. I just have had to re-adjust my expectations a little. A conference title and deep run in March are both still possible, just a little harder than I first though.

stoopified
12/31/2008, 09:31 PM
I mentioned in the “Will we go 16-0…” thread that I was concerned about the Arkansas game. More because of the unknown than what they had accomplished thus far this season.

Unlike football, basketball offers a true home court advantage. I don’t know if it’s because the crowd is so close to the players and the court, the number of team mates is much smaller in basketball, or just the quick turnaround, but I’ve always felt home court offered the ultimate equalizer in college hoops.

Nonetheless, the loss to Arkansas may have exposed a big weakness in the Sooners game. Some have mentioned the inept free throw shooting this season (I know 04 has made reference to it). The Sooners are shooting about 68% from the line. By comparison, arguably (and possibly factually) the worst free throw shooting team to reach a final four was last year’s Memphis squad shooting a pathetic 61%. The difference is that Memphis also fielded several NBA worthy players that made up for their poor charity stripe play by utilizing other talent on the floor.

No doubt the Sooners have to step up their free throw efforts if they’re going to make a deep run in March.

My bigger concern is Blake Griffin’s performance against quality opponents with size. While he still managed a double-double against the hogs, he struggled at times. With the Big XII slate upcoming, and filled with quality post players (Texas, Kansas, Baylor and even A&M…yes, A&M), I am growing more concerned about Blake’s ability to play night after night against conference opponents with talent.

I’m not ready to throw this season out, far from it. I just have had to re-adjust my expectations a little. A conference title and deep run in March are both still possible, just a little harder than I first though.I have said before this team is NOT a #4 team,rather a Top15 caliber team .Blake is not getting enough frontcourt support on this team and overall we are not exploiting the DEPTH we are supposed to have.With Wright,Allen,Cannon all on the roster we have failed to utilize anyone but Wright off the bench.In the backcourt we have utilized Leary(sparingly of late),Davis.Where is Willis? He played well early when given the chance but like Leary he too has disappearedfrom the rotation.

Well I expected at least one loss in non-con and here it is.There is still a lot of ball left to be played and I still am confident that Capel is on track.I also think the Hawgs are a better team than their preseason ranking and this loss is not a bad one.I hope it serves as a wakeup like OUr loss to SFA last season.

badger
12/31/2008, 09:38 PM
Allow me to spread some positive enthusiasm cancer:
No team goes undefeated anymore, except in wimmen's bball. Better to have our one loss now than have it end our season.

soonervegas
1/1/2009, 03:25 PM
My expectations are still where they have been since we won the PNIT....elite 8. That game was a perfect example of a team cruising vs. a team wanting to make a statement. Beat ksu and texas to start big 12 play and we will all be sky high again.

OKC-SLC
1/1/2009, 03:55 PM
If you had told me that we'd have one loss through the Arkansas game, I'd have taken it and loved it.

That said, FT shooting absolutely has to get better. There are way too many points left on the floor when we're missing this badly. Additionally, once we get into Big 12 play, where the officials like to blow the whistle each trip down the floor whether there was a foul or not, this will be even bigger.

8timechamps
1/1/2009, 07:37 PM
I have said before this team is NOT a #4 team,rather a Top15 caliber team .Blake is not getting enough frontcourt support on this team and overall we are not exploiting the DEPTH we are supposed to have.With Wright,Allen,Cannon all on the roster we have failed to utilize anyone but Wright off the bench.In the backcourt we have utilized Leary(sparingly of late),Davis.Where is Willis? He played well early when given the chance but like Leary he too has disappearedfrom the rotation.

Well I expected at least one loss in non-con and here it is.There is still a lot of ball left to be played and I still am confident that Capel is on track.I also think the Hawgs are a better team than their preseason ranking and this loss is not a bad one.I hope it serves as a wakeup like OUr loss to SFA last season.

I also expected one loss going into conference play, but I thought it would have come earlier in the season. Anyway, I think you're right on about the ranking. I think we are a solid top 10 team, but not a top 5. That could all change of course.

Depth is a problem with this team (outside of the obvious free throw issues). I think Taylor's play early in the season was a mirage of sorts. I think it's possible he was playing a little beyond his ability (if that makes sense). He's not the answer the Sooners need to help Blake.

I trust and believe in Capel. I doubt he thought we were a #4 team, and if anyone knows the issues facing this team, it's Capel.

I think a run to the elite 8 is a reasonable expectation for this team. Who knows, maybe they'll get hot at the right time and see another final 4.

OKC-SLC
1/1/2009, 10:47 PM
Who knows, maybe they'll get hot at the right time and see another final 4.

That's what it's all about in the tournament.

PhiDeltBeers
1/2/2009, 12:53 PM
I have said before this team is NOT a #4 team,rather a Top15 caliber team .

I have been saying this exact thing for a couple of weeks now. Watching the Arkansas game was very frustrating, but I think the determination to come back and almost win was a positive. Moral victory? No way, I'm not going aggie with it.