PDA

View Full Version : The disjointed logic of the S.E.C & Gators

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 01:02 PM
Last night I was reading some gator posts about the holiday bowl.

Originally Posted by G8trGr8t
Oregon put more ayrd on Ok Sate than OU did.Take away the two turnovers and the terrible play call on fourth and inches and they might have scored 60 on them too.

And this quote from gatorcountry

For two straight nights I've watched poor quarterback play from the conference that's ready to crown them with Sainthood.

For two straight nights both Biig 12 defenses have been as bad as everybody has suspected.

Plus more crap from espn message boards and what not. The point I want to make is, why the hell does it matter what happens in these games? Like I said last night, the Citadel scored 19 points on the gators, but they only scored 10 points on Samford. Does that mean that Samford has a better defense than Florida? Hell naw!

The big East is undefeated this bowl season and we beat their champion handily, but what does that mean. not a damn thing. So please gators stop comparing the opponents of our respective teams, because it does not matter for you will see us the flesh on January 8th!

P.S. The SEC will be 0-2 by the end of the day.

FlatheadSooner
12/31/2008, 01:09 PM
Last night I was reading some gator posts about the holiday bowl.

And this quote from gatorcountry

Plus more crap from espn message boards and what not. The point I want to make is, why the hell does it matter what happens in these games? Like I said last night, the Citadel scored 19 points on the gators, but they only scored 10 points on Samford. Does that mean that Samford has a better defense than Florida? Hell naw!

The big East is undefeated this bowl season and we beat their champion handily, but what does that mean. not a damn thing. So please gators stop comparing the opponents of our respective teams, because it does not matter for you will see us the flesh on January 8th!

P.S. The SEC will be 0-2 by the end of the day.

Agree with your point - bowls don't accurately reflect the season and/or body of work by all teams. However, it does seem that everyone (fans, press, etc.) put's a lot of stock on the bowl games and this is what stays in the minds until next season.

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 01:10 PM
Like I said last night, the Citadel scored 19 points on the gators, but they only scored 10 points on Samford. Does that mean that Samford has a better defense than Florida? Hell naw!

Exactly. A team is going to give up more points when it scores 55 in the first half, or 28 in the first quarter, period. Why would OU risk injuring its Defensive starters when they are up by 40 in the 3rd quarter?

This is about as redundant as the whole "Big XII offenses look great because of their shoddy defenses vs. SEC defenses look great because of their shoddy offenses" circular arguement.

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 01:14 PM
Agree with your point - bowls don't accurately reflect the season and/or body of work by all teams. However, it does seem that everyone (fans, press, etc.) put's a lot of stock on the bowl games and this is what stays in the minds until next season.

If they want these bowl games to reflect how good teams are, then they need to start them a week after the season ends, and stop loading these kids up with swag and treats until after they play the game.

catsigater
12/31/2008, 01:44 PM

Yet you guys will be crowing like proud Big XII homers for TTU to beat Ol Miss.

If TX were playing an SEC team, you'd be pulling for them, too.

You know you would. ;)

Hot Rod
12/31/2008, 01:50 PM

And if it's reversed, I bet we don't see any of these Gators fans coming here and saying the same thing. :pop:

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 01:57 PM

You know you would. ;)

If UT played the University of Osama Bin Laden, I would be on that tall bastards sideline with a towel on my head praying to allah for victory over those Texican Motherf#$%ers.

You SEC fans seem to buy in to the whole conference loyalty idea; Big XII fans do not.

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 01:57 PM

You know you would. ;)

Tech just needs to stay within 44 points of ole miss since they beat you by 1. I believe that will give us a 1 point victory over you guys. That is how you guys think, right?

GG84
12/31/2008, 01:58 PM
Here are some fancy stats from the Big 12's first two outings from Gator Country's gatorpower:

Missouri had a Passing Efficiency rating of 162.69 (#8).
Northwestern had a Pass Efficiency D rating of 112.92 (#27).

During the game, Missouri had a Passing Efficiency rating of 100.96. That's a -37.94% difference and is actually worse than what Northwestern normally gives up.

Oklahoma State had a Passing Efficiency rating of 174.68 (#4).
Oregon had a Pass Efficiency D rating of 119.53 (#46).

During the game, Oklahoma State had a Passing Efficiency rating of 107.87. That's a -38.25%difference and, again, is actually worse than what Oregon normally gives up.

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 02:01 PM
Here are some fancy stats from the Big 12's first two outings from Gator Country's gatorpower:

During the game, Missouri had a Passing Efficiency rating of 100.96. That's a -37.94% difference and is actually worse than what Northwestern normally gives up.

During the game, Oklahoma State had a Passing Efficiency rating of 107.87. That's a -38.25%difference and, again, is actually worse than what Oregon normally gives up.

Right, and as someone mentioned on another thread, UF gave up 19 points to Citadel, who then only scored 10 on Samford.

By your logic that means Samford has a better defense than UF, right?

Right?

catsigater
12/31/2008, 02:01 PM

You know you would. ;)

Tech just needs to stay within 44 points of ole miss since they beat you by 1. I believe that will give us a 1 point victory over you guys. That is how you guys think, right?

Non-denial denial.

If UT played the University of Osama Bin Laden, I would be on that tall bastards sideline with a towel on my head praying to allah for victory over those Texican Motherf#$%ers.

You SEC fans seem to buy in to the whole conference loyalty idea; Big XII fans do not.

I didn't say the UofOBL. I said an SEC team.

Another non-denial denial.

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 02:04 PM
Non-denial denial.

I for one think it would be funny if Ole Miss holds TTU to 0 points, and we put 60 on Florida on Jan. 8th.

Maybe then next year our BCS opponent's fans would find another statistically fallacious arguement to beat like a dead horse.

GG84
12/31/2008, 02:05 PM
Right, and as someone mentioned on another thread, UF gave up 19 points to Citadel, who then only scored 10 on Samford.

By your logic that means Samford has a better defense than UF, right?

Right?

I think it means that Bradford isn't going to have all day to throw to wide open receivers. If you want to interpret it your way, go ahead. We'll know in a little over a week.

NYC Poke
12/31/2008, 02:08 PM

Robinson, OSU's QB, played the second half with a separated shoulder. That might have played a part. Compare his stats in the first vs. the second half.

sooner59
12/31/2008, 02:13 PM
1. OSU got outcoached and overpowered by a less talented Oregon team that wanted it more. Thats what I saw. Didn't help that Dez Bryant got hurt and Zac Robinson got lit up so much he didn't know which coast he was on, but hey, they still just got outplayed.

2. **** Texas......im pulling for Ohio State (and i HATE tOSU)! Though I would put my money on Texas. The Buckeyes are not that good.

3. Not everybody cares about how their conference does in bowls. Sure its nice to see your conference make you look good, but as long as we win, I could care less if everyone else in the Big XII lost. But thats just me.

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 02:13 PM
Explain how Samford, Furman, Clemson, and Applachian State held the Citadel to less or about the same as the Florida defense?

How Tulane and Kentucky held Alabama to less?

How Duke, Tennessee, and Wake Forest held Vandy to less?

How Wake Forest held FSU to less?

How Boise State and Oregon State held Hawaii to less?

Finally. How Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas, and Auburn held ole miss to less points than the mighty gators?

That is a whole lot of defenses better than the gators.

CatfishSooner
12/31/2008, 02:18 PM
**** floriduh

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 02:19 PM
I think it means that Bradford isn't going to have all day to throw to wide open receivers. If you want to interpret it your way, go ahead. We'll know in a little over a week.

Funny you interpreted it that way; the real meaning of my comment was to debunk this whole theory that it is somehow possible to extrapolate meaning from bowl performances of teams OU played.

Like I said, if you can tell something from the way OSU played Oregon, then why can I not tell the same thing from how the Citadel played Samford?

adoniijahsooner
**** floriduh

+1

Hokiefan
We'll know in a little over a week.

Don't be trespassing on delusion with fact. You, like me, are a guest..........

Oops, I is a guest too.........

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 02:24 PM

As far as I know no one here is delusional about the date of the game, Hokiefan.

Also, it would be wise to find an acutal disputable point before you go around crying about your treatment on an OU fan site.

Just sayin'

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 02:24 PM

What facts? Oh, East Carolina

GG84
12/31/2008, 02:29 PM
Well for my argument, I am comparing Big 12 defenses and offenses in general. So all of that "How UF's defense did against common opponents" stuff is irrelevant for me. All of our games minus Ole Miss and Bama were blowout victories in which backups played most of the second half. I am sure that Oklahoma's defensive stats were similarly effected by the blow out factor.

Most Gator fans believe UF will win because the Big 12 played no defense this year. So far the bowl games have done nothing to make UF and SEC fans believe any different.

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 02:31 PM
Well for my argument, I am comparing Big 12 defenses and offenses in general. So all of that "How UF's defense did against common opponents" stuff is irrelevant for me. All of our games minus Ole Miss and Bama were blowout victories in which backups played most of the second half. I am sure that Oklahoma's defensive stats were similarly effected by the blow out factor.

Most Gator fans believe UF will win because the Big 12 played no defense this year. So far the bowl games have done nothing to make UF and SEC fans believe any different.

So 23 points by Northwestern is an offensive explosion?

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 02:35 PM
Let me keep destroying your logic. in 2000 we won the NC against Florida state, but we only beat Oklahoma State 12-7, and maybe should have lost. What was OSU's record? 3-8. Did it matter how bad a team OSU was.

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 02:36 PM

The difference I think between you and me is, while you take solace in the idea that OU is somehow more beatable because OSU lost to a Pac 10 team and Missou struggled with a Big 10 team, I don't think the inevitable @$$whipping TTU is going to hand Ole Miss means anything other than TTU is better than Ole Miss.

Statistics are a funny thing; like the bible, you can pretty much get them to say anything that backs up your point. For every "OU's O isn't all that because the Big XII D sucks" comment backed up by statistics, I can produce a "UF's D isn't all that because the SEC doesn't play O" comment complete with my own statistics to prove it.

And so on and so on.

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 02:38 PM
The difference I think between you and me is, while you take solace in the idea that OU is somehow more beatable because OSU lost to a Pac 10 team and Missou struggled with a Big 10 team, I don't think the inevitable @$$whipping TTU is going to hand Ole Miss means anything other than TTU is better than Ole Miss.

Statistics are a funny thing; like the bible, you can pretty much get them to say anything that backs up your point. For every "OU's O isn't all that because the Big XII D sucks stat backed comment, I can produce a "UF's D isn't all that because the SEC doesn't play O stat backed comment.

And so on and so on.

Saw your avatar, and had to go get the movie.

starclassic tama
12/31/2008, 02:40 PM

You know you would. ;)

wrong. anyone with a brain who is an OU fan wants texas to get drilled by ohio state to take care of any split national title business. we aren't you. we don't need this gay conference pride to try and make our team look dominate. we are OU fans.

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 02:41 PM
Saw your avatar, and had to go get the movie.

My wife almost threw it away when we watched it together.

She said it was almost too much to handle that I can quote the whole movie word for word.

I told her that if she wanted to become a doctor, she would memorize her textbooks, right? Well, I was doing the same thing, only different.

That went over pretty well.

OUTrumpet
12/31/2008, 02:42 PM

That sounds like Aggy logic to me. Are we secretly playing aggys, or is the whole SEC just full of them?

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 02:44 PM
wrong. anyone with a brain who is an OU fan wants texas to get drilled by ohio state to take care of any split national title business. we aren't you. we don't need this gay conference pride to try and make our team look dominate. we are OU fans.

What he said.

Florida has the good fortune of being located in one of the most talent-rich recruiting enviroments in college football.

OU has the misfortune of being located above one. Hence, when UT loses, that is yet another thing OU can sell to UT HS players to get them to consider OU as a viable place to play football.

That, and we don't ask our recruits to compare head coaches houses.

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 02:45 PM
That sounds like Aggy logic to me. Are we secretly playing aggys, or is the whole SEC just full of them?

just trying to show how stupid it is to keep trying to draw confidence from what Mizzou and OSU did i their bowl games. To answer your question, the SEC is stockpiled with aggies.

OUMallen
12/31/2008, 02:54 PM

No way dude.

OUmillenium
12/31/2008, 03:40 PM

The best post #20 I have seen yet. I agree.

OUmillenium
12/31/2008, 03:41 PM
**** floriduh

+2

SoonerBacker
12/31/2008, 03:49 PM

Yep. You're both guests. But at least HIS team is playing the SOONERS on the 8th.

Why don't you go find a Bearcat fan board to frequent and talk about YOUR game? You do remember that your Hokies have a game against Cincinatti coming up don't you?