PDA

View Full Version : OUr Linebacker Situation

CK Sooner
12/31/2008, 12:28 PM
Box Will Be Back Today

Clay Horning
The Norman Transcript

“No,” said Bob Stoops, interrupting the question.

A moment earlier, Tuesday night after practice, the Oklahoma football coach said middle linebacker Austin Box would practice again today for the first time since spraining a knee against Oklahoma State.

However, “No,” Stoops could not possibly project how far along Box might be in time for OU’s BCS national championship showdown against Florida Jan. 8 in Miami.

Perhaps the most important defensive position on the field in any three-linebacker scheme, Box solidified the middle linebacker spot following a season-ending knee injury suffered by Ryan Reynolds late in the Texas game.

But when Box went down against the Cowboys, the Sooners were down to third-teamer Mike Balogun. Balogun managed three tackles in the Bedlam game in very limited action. Yet at the Big 12 championship game, Balogun made only one tackle; although he was frequently off the field as OU went with an extra defensive back.

Defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Brent Venables is either very confident on the issue or putting up a strong front.

“The best case scenario is having somebody ready to play at a high level and we’ll have that,” he said. “It’s going to be Austin or Mike.”

Venables said Box will be medically cleared to play in the national championship game, and “it’s just a matter of getting reps and familiarity and confidence.”

Though Venables did not mention it, it might also be a matter of Box’s pain threshold.

Already, Box is running on his own and changing direction. But he’s yet to practice. And the only thing certain about today is that he will try to practice.

“I’ve been running with the ones and, right now, I’m just prepared to play,” said Balogun, who admitted the extra time prior to a bowl game has been a real help to his preparation. “I’m going to be ready, regardless.”

Between the two of them, Box and Balogun, Venables believes the position is in good hands.

“Absolutely,” he said.

Oklahoma Switching Up Linebackers

by: JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Wednesday, December 31, 2008

NORMAN — Oklahoma will have a plan at middle linebacker against Florida.

But whether that plan is Austin Box, Mike Balogun, a combination of both — or neither — won't be known until much closer to kickoff of its Jan. 8 national championship showdown in Miami, Fla.

Box, a redshirt freshman who stepped into the lineup in the eighth week of the season but went down with a knee sprain in the regular-season finale, is scheduled to return to practice on Wednesday.

Balogun, a junior who replaced Box for spot duty in the Big 12 championship game against Missouri, has "practiced really, really well (and) been very consistent," OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Tuesday night.

In OU's last game, weakside starter Travis Lewis started at middle linebacker, and strong safety Nic Harris started at weakside, with Quinton Carter starting at safety for Harris. That same configuration could happen against Florida, too.

"Mike continues to make some improvement and is doing well with the extra snaps," said head coach Bob Stoops. "It's good to have Mike ready to go, and everyone else. It's no different than how we played the Big 12 championship game."

Said Venables, "I feel good about him in there. I really believe we'll have two guys that are ready to play."

Venables said he has no expectations about Box's return, "outside of they're releasing him to play. He should have no limitations. Now it's a matter of how well he picks things up. He has enough time. But again, it's not like it's a veteran guy coming back. That's a big difference. Technique is everything in a game like this, where the margin for error isn't much.

Junior achievement: Stoops declined to identify which underclassmen have requested a non-binding evaluation from the NFL Draft Advisory Committee, other than to say "Virtually all of them, but we're not going to answer any questions on that until after the bowl game."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last week reportedly said discussion of an impending 2010 cap on rookie salaries was unfounded until at least 2011. Goodell said in an ESPN.com story that he had spoken with USC coach Pete Carroll and Florida's Urban Meyer in particular about concerns their respective junior quarterbacks might have had about the cap. Stoops said he wrote Goodell a letter "and got something back," and was further comforted by Goodell's position.

"There's so much false reporting out there that people say this and that that don't know," Stoops said.

Davis back: Defensive end Alan Davis "has been practicing," Stoops said, and will be expected to return to the four-man rotation with Frank Alexander, Jeremy Beal and Auston English. Davis injured his knee Nov. 8 and missed OU's last three games.

Granger report: Stoops said he doesn't expect back surgery for junior defensive tackle DeMarcus Granger to be career-threatening. Granger will miss the national title game, but is expecting to resume his career next season.

"There's always that chance, but we're optimistic in that he's made great improvements already," Stoops said. "I think it's something that's going to help him. They didn't need to be as extensive as they thought they were going to have to be when they did it, so there are a lot of positive signs that it won't be. But you never know that it won't be career-ending."

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 01:07 PM
Good to hear. I thought before the season that balogun could be a starter. I think our linebackers are going to show up in this game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2008, 01:12 PM
anyone else read the bit about granger and think, oh good, they are only amputating from the waist down...

FlatheadSooner
12/31/2008, 01:12 PM
Good news - it will be nice to have Box available.

I'm wondering if we'll use all 3 looks (Box, Balogun, Lewis) to mix things up.

yermom
12/31/2008, 01:22 PM
anyone else read the bit about granger and think, oh good, they are only amputating from the waist down...

that's always a possibility

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 01:28 PM
Whoever starts the game at MLB needs to put Tebow on his @$$ the first time he runs the QB draw; that way he has the fear of God....er...Tebow into him, so he thinks twice before checking down into that play.

Ole Miss did it by forcing turnovers; once he got too scared to run, UF's offense became pretty predictable.

Breadburner
12/31/2008, 01:35 PM
I woul love to see Jebow get "Ronnie Lotted"......

P3 Gator
12/31/2008, 01:53 PM
Whoever starts the game at MLB needs to put Tebow on his @$$ the first time he runs the QB draw; that way he has the fear of God....er...Tebow into him, so he thinks twice before checking down into that play.

Ole Miss did it by forcing turnovers; once he got too scared to run, UF's offense became pretty predictable.

That's what the Bama fan sitting next to me said when Tebow got hammered in the first quarter of the SECCG. He can be hurt (Kentucky messed up his shoulder last year before the Georgia game) but he won't be intimidated. Matter of fact, the coaching staff has had a hard time telling him not to take or deliver a hit. It's actually scary as a fan, because anybody getting hit can get hurt.

OklahomaTuba
12/31/2008, 02:01 PM
Is Granger having a Discectomy?

I had one in August. If so, I don't know how the hell anyone could play football after that!!

OUinFLA
12/31/2008, 02:29 PM
Is Granger having a Discectomy?

I had one in August. If so, I don't know how the hell anyone could play football after that!!

Was it career ending for you?

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 02:51 PM
That's what the Bama fan sitting next to me said when Tebow got hammered in the first quarter of the SECCG. He can be hurt (Kentucky messed up his shoulder last year before the Georgia game) but he won't be intimidated. Matter of fact, the coaching staff has had a hard time telling him not to take or deliver a hit. It's actually scary as a fan, because anybody getting hit can get hurt.

I don't know, he looked pretty intimidated vs. Ole Miss; he is human after all....

Oh wait....

Seriously though, I get your point, and I think the battle of wills between him and our D line and LBs will be one of the many storylines to watch for come next week.

goingoneight
12/31/2008, 03:27 PM
Tebow plays fearlessly just as Adrian Peterson does. One big hit won't stop him. What OUr defense needs to be focused on is disrupting the intent of the offense. You can hit him all you want to, but if he's tough enough to sustain it, which I believe he is, the gameplan will continue unless we can shut it down in the second and third levels. Option QBs are used to taking the beating, and Tebow is yet another hybrid-type that not only adds to a wide-open ground attack, but he's got good arm and great receivers as well. Playing disciplined and disrupting the play IMO is way more important than over-pursuing and trying to hit him every down. Zac Robinson and OSU was a different story because we knew as a team that we could score on them easier than most teams. And the simple answer to beating Chase Daniel has always been hitting him because he folds under pressure. IOW, neither of these guys are Tebow. We have to be concerned than Tebow doesn't have the day McCoy and Freeman had against us, and we have to be concerned that UF's receving corps doesn't have the day that Gilyard, Shipley, Cosby, Briscoe and Bryant had against us. UF may not have the numbers we've had, but they can certainly put together a dominant performance if we're not on OUr A-game.

Box and/or Balogun need to be full speed and health because UF uses a lot of misdirection, frequently getting into the second level with great zone-blocking up front. IOW, UF's going to give us more of a work-out than Texas did with still the same question: who's going to step up in the middle of the field?

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 03:45 PM
Tebow plays fearlessly just as Adrian Peterson does. One big hit won't stop him. What OUr defense needs to be focused on is disrupting the intent of the offense. You can hit him all you want to, but if he's tough enough to sustain it, which I believe he is, the gameplan will continue unless we can shut it down in the second and third levels. Option QBs are used to taking the beating, and Tebow is yet another hybrid-type that not only adds to a wide-open ground attack, but he's got good arm and great receivers as well. Playing disciplined and disrupting the play IMO is way more important than over-pursuing and trying to hit him every down. Zac Robinson and OSU was a different story because we knew as a team that we could score on them easier than most teams. And the simple answer to beating Chase Daniel has always been hitting him because he folds under pressure. IOW, neither of these guys are Tebow. We have to be concerned than Tebow doesn't have the day McCoy and Freeman had against us, and we have to be concerned that UF's receving corps doesn't have the day that Gilyard, Shipley, Cosby, Briscoe and Bryant had against us. UF may not have the numbers we've had, but they can certainly put together a dominant performance if we're not on OUr A-game.

Box and/or Balogun need to be full speed and health because UF uses a lot of misdirection, frequently getting into the second level with great zone-blocking up front. IOW, UF's going to give us more of a work-out than Texas did with still the same question: who's going to step up in the middle of the field?

First off, I definately agree with your point; no QB we have faced so far compares in toughness to Tebow. You are also spot on in your analysis of what OU needs to do to be competitive against UF's offense.

That being said, I also think an under-appriciated fact about OU's D when compared to UF's O is that, while OU has seen good to great spred attacks on a consistant basis this year, the types of D UF has played against in the SEC have not. We all know that the SEC fancies itself as a power running conference, and most teams outiside of Florida (with the exception of Ole Miss this year) pretty much stick to the power run style of offense.

While I am the first to admit that OU's defense has plenty of question marks that will need to be answered on January 8th, I think the fact that OU has seen a lot of what UF will throw at them this year (and has had decent to good success at slowing it down enough to win) cannot be overlooked.

fadada1
12/31/2008, 03:52 PM
i'd have a pain threshold of "infinity" if i was playing for the national championship. box will be in and ready to go.

TMcGee86
12/31/2008, 03:58 PM

LOL! My exact thought was "Good Lord! The poor kid died." :D

OklahomaTuba
12/31/2008, 04:01 PM
Was it career ending for you?

Nah, I was back at work in 4 weeks. :texan:

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2008, 04:05 PM
Guaranteed that testing the MLB position will be the first item in the gator game plan. I'm sure our coaches up in the booth will be watching carefully and be really to switch things up if someone isn't peforming. This is one advantage to multiple weeks of preparations as it would be hard to get in any meaningful practice on multiple options in a normal game week.

jkjsooner
12/31/2008, 04:10 PM
We all know that the SEC fancies itself as a power running conference, and most teams outiside of Florida (with the exception of Ole Miss this year) pretty much stick to the power run style of offense.

Boy have times changed in the past 10 years. Back in the '90s you could have said the exact opposite with the Big 12 being an power/option based conference.

Remember back when it was said you couldn't throw the ball in the Big 12 because of the weather? Remember how they said that while Texas creates great football players they don't create many pro style QB's?

The spread attack proliferating in high schools in Texas and Oklahoma has really helped the Big 12. There is now no shortage of pro style QB's in our area.