PDA

View Full Version : Stoops & Co: Tuesday Press Conference

SoonerBacker
12/31/2008, 10:09 AM
Sooners Anxious to Get to Miami

NORMAN, Okla. -- For the final time before they head to Miami, Coach Stoops and select OU players met with the media following practice Tuesday evening.

No. 1 Oklahoma (12-1) will play No. 2 Florida (12-1) in the FedEx BCS National Championship Game at Dolphin Stadium on January 8. The game marks OU's seventh BCS bowl and fourth national title game appearance in nine seasons.

The Sooners are scheduled to fly from Oklahoma City to Miami on Friday. Then, it's right to work for the team as Oklahoma holds the first of six bowl practices that evening in Florida. SoonerSports.com will post notes, photos and video as the team lands in Miami and throughout the week leading up to the National Championship Game.

Head Coach Bob Stoops

On the team's preparation this week:
"We've kind of gone through this week like a regular game week. Sunday was like a Monday, Monday was like a Tuesday and today was like a Wednesday."

On the team's attitude since the Texas game:
"I never felt us let down and never felt we were discouraged and weren't working hard, had a bad attitude or any of that. I thought all along these guys have had a really good attitude."

On the status of Sam Bradford's injury:
"His cast has been trimmed down. He's been taking snaps the last two days, and it will get trimmed down even more every couple days. He couldn't take snaps before the holidays. Now he's taking snaps and hasn't dropped one of them."

On the importance of the middle linebacker position:
"Guys who project energy, guys who are positive and work hard. Guys who have intensity when they are practicing and aren't just going through the motions. They're performing at a level where they're trying to make themselves better and project that to everybody else."

Defensive Coordinator Brent Venables

On Florida's passing game:
"They have great skill and great protection and the guys they're throwing to know how to go get it. When (Tebow) takes his shots he has a lot of single coverage in the back end so he's throwing it over the top of guys. They're the option team of today, except they have a bunch of really fast guys in that system so they're pass game is as good as anybody's because they suck you in."

On the versatility of Percy Harvin:
"He's good enough to beat you by himself. We'll know where he is because he's wearing No. 1. They do a good job of utilizing his skills and putting him in a variety of spots to make plays. I think he's in his own league because he can do a lot of different things to hurt you."

Junior DE Jeremy Beal

On the team's preparation this week:
"We're trying to go at it just like a regular week as we have the past couple of weeks. We're approaching it just like another game."

On what the team is focusing on:
"We're just trying to get better every day. If we do that I think we'll be fine."

On Florida's combination of Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin:
"Of course when you have a former Heisman Trophy winner in Tim Tebow and a great speed receiver like Percy Harvin, it's a great combination. They're two amazing players and it's going to be tough to stop them."

Freshman WR Ryan Broyles

On he and fellow Norman native Mossis Madu contributing for OU:
"It's a great feeling. Growing up here, playing on the same high school team and still producing like we did in high school is a great feeling."

On whether they talked about playing together in college:
"We definitely talked about college. He was a year ahead of me, so he was well in the process when I was still a junior. We never really talked specific teams but always talked about playing in college."

On what makes Mossis Madu so good:
"He's a great competitor. He's always looking to win and always willing to work. He's a great guy too so I wouldn't wish anything but greatness for him."

Sophomore DT Gerald McCoy

On OU's struggles in recent BCS bowl games:
"We've put the last two years behind us. This is a totally new year. We're not even worried about the past. We're worried about the game coming up."

On Florida quarterback Tim Tebow:
"He doesn't really remind me of anybody else we've faced. He won the Heisman so obviously he's a great player. We have a big task ahead of us and he runs that offense very well."

On his expectation of being in this game from the beginning:
"I just knew how hard we had worked and how we had prepared. We put the past behind us and looked towards the future. We really changed our mindset and how we do things. I'm not saying I knew we were going to be here, but being in the national championship is what we expected because of how hard we worked."

Junior OL Trent Williams

On Florida's defensive front:
"They pressure a lot and are going to try to pressure Sam. We just have to do a good job of protecting up front."

On the team's attitude this week:
"We're anxious. Everybody is ready to get out to Miami and experience the feeling of a national championship atmosphere."

On how much different practices will be in Miami:
"The coaching staff does a really good job of trying to keep everything the same so we don't get out of tone. I don't expect too much of a difference."

On losing RB DeMarco Murray:
"Just look at the Big 12 Championship Game, Mossis stepped in and did a great job. Chris has been doing a great job all year. We hate to lose him, but we can still work as a team without him." Oklahoma Football

fadada1
12/31/2008, 10:46 AM
so you're saying they're fast????

who knew.