PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT be deceived by the Pac-10 bowl record

PDXsooner
12/31/2008, 12:19 AM
Every year ESPN likes to hype the "Bowl Standings" as if a conference bowl record indicated how good a conference is. This may apply to the Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, and ACC.

But the Pac 10 bowl setup is made for the Pac 10 to look good. Outside of the Rose Bowl, they always play a team well below theirs. In the Holiday Bowl, Oregon was a clear #2 in the Pac 10, but played #4/5 OSU from the Big 12.

For years their #3 team played the Big Ten's #5 in the Sun Bowl. Outside of that, they play a bunch of Mountain West schools and other conference's leftovers.

Of course they'll have a shiny bowl record, but don't be fooled. They're soft, and full of pretenders. They are still USC and the nine dwarfs.

Leroy Lizard
12/31/2008, 12:52 AM
dwarves.

As long as we are playing for the national title, who cares what the rest of the Big XII does in bowl games?

RedstickSooner
12/31/2008, 01:01 AM
I care.

It doesn't matter in the big picture, but hearing how much the Big-12 sucks sure gets old.

PDXsooner
12/31/2008, 01:26 AM
I've not cared forever. I think rooting for other teams in the conference simply because of conference affiliation is gay. However...

As long as ESPN keeps hyping the "Bowl cup standings" and the BCS makes SOS and quality wins important, it matters. People's perception of a "conferences strength", regardless of how hard that is to gauge, has a lot to do with where teams get ranked and how wins within a conference are perceived.

If Texas beats Ohio State, it keeps their public perception strong. When we beat them in Dallas next year, it helps our perception. If Texas loses, the "choke in the big game" thing starts getting thrown around, and all of a sudden beating Texas isn't as big a deal.

Believe me, I hate rooting for other teams in the conference, but times are a changin' and I have to do it.

TopDawg
12/31/2008, 02:26 AM
As long as ESPN keeps hyping the "Bowl cup standings" and the BCS makes SOS and quality wins important, it matters. People's perception of a "conferences strength", regardless of how hard that is to gauge, has a lot to do with where teams get ranked and how wins within a conference are perceived.

I don't think conference bowl records really carry over that much into the following years. Nobody really remembers that stuff. By my count, over the past two years the Big XII is 8-8 in bowl games, yet this year we were still considered either the toughest or second-toughest conference.

Gator996
12/31/2008, 07:49 AM
Oregon was the clear #2?

Oregon St would have gone to the Rose Bowl as the Pac10 champion if it had beaten Oregon.

A game OSU had to play without its best player J Rodgers...who is the Freshman RB who dismantled USC almost all by himself.

Oregon should have been the Pac10 #3 playing the Big12's #4...

Anyway, I agree with your points about the Pac10 and its bowl setup.

OUAndy1807
12/31/2008, 07:53 AM
Oregon St would have gone to the Rose Bowl as the Pac10 champion if it had beaten Oregon.

is your argument that Oregon St. is better than Oregon?

SoonerAtKU
12/31/2008, 07:56 AM
The Holiday Bowl could have chosen Oregon State if they had wanted to. They didn't.

Harry Beanbag
12/31/2008, 08:05 AM
Oregon was the clear #2?

A game OSU had to play without its best player J Rodgers...who is the Freshman RB who dismantled USC almost all by himself.

Oregon should have been the Pac10 #3 playing the Big12's #4...

Anyway, I agree with your points about the Pac10 and its bowl setup.

Yes, Oregon is the Pac10 second place team.

USC 8-1 11-1
Oregon 7-2 10-3
Oregon St. 7-2 9-4
Cal 6-3 9-4

Since we're playing the shoulda/woulda/coulda game, Oregon would be a top 10 team if they didn't have to play Boise with their 4th string QB.

Gator996
12/31/2008, 08:09 AM
All of the responses prove my point...

Oregon was a CLEAR #2?

olevetonahill
12/31/2008, 08:13 AM

Oregon was a CLEAR #2?

I bow to your Superior Knowledge :P

cheezyq
12/31/2008, 08:58 AM
I've not cared forever. I think rooting for other teams in the conference simply because of conference affiliation is gay. However...

If Texas beats Ohio State, it keeps their public perception strong. When we beat them in Dallas next year, it helps our perception. If Texas loses, the "choke in the big game" thing starts getting thrown around, and all of a sudden beating Texas isn't as big a deal.

Believe me, I hate rooting for other teams in the conference, but times are a changin' and I have to do it.

To be honest, I don't see that. OU had to schedule well outside of the conference, and that's what made the biggest difference. As long is the Big 12 SOUTH is better than the Big 10, Big East, ACC and Pac-10, we're always going to be in the mix. The North drags the whole conference down every year, but every year we're still in the mix because we're in the Big 12 South. As long as UT and TT and another team from the South are decent, we have nothing to worry about.

But that sure as **** doesn't mean I'm going to root for UT or OSU. I was pro-OSU last night, but only because they were facing the Quacks. And if, by chance, the South does take a tumble and UT and the rest of the South start to suck, it's a win-win, because I'll be laughing my *** off at UT.

Soonermagik
12/31/2008, 09:04 AM
I don't worry about conference records. In the end, it just matters what your teams does.

However, if the Big 12 cares about their BCS bowl rankings they had better hope Texas & OU win. If both teams win they can say their top two teams are two of the best in the nation. I'm sure that the Big 12 is most concerned with OU winning for several reasons.

1) They get to say their top team won the championship game, which all but erases OSU type bowl loses.
2) OU will be 50/50 in title games, which is respectable.
3) The Big 12 will have the heisman winner and national champ.

Scott D
12/31/2008, 10:30 AM

Quit stressing it, only the Mountain West, WAC, etc low end conferences...and the SEC even care about ESPN's fabricated cup. Truthfully, if the Big East doesn't go unbeaten in the bowls it's a huge upset, their matchups are by far the easiest in all the land.

Hot Rod
12/31/2008, 10:49 AM

Oregon was a CLEAR #2?

Man, you're so stupid!

Each year the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl matches up the Pac-10 runner-up against the third selection from the Big 12.
http://www.sandiego.gov/qualcomm/event/tenants/holidaybowl.shtml

PDXsooner
12/31/2008, 11:10 AM
Oregon was the clear #2?

hmmm...both finished 7-2 and oregon won at oregon state 65-38. pretty clear.