PDA

View Full Version : pokey state reminded me of something tonight...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/30/2008, 11:58 PM
RUN THE FRICKIN' BALL!!!

Tulsa_Fireman
12/31/2008, 12:12 AM
FIRE FRICKIN' GUNDY!

If I was a Puke State booster, I'd be nine kinds of pissed that you're down by 2 scores, have the ball in Oregonad territory with almost 2:00 on the clock and two time outs to boot, and your last four downs consist of two hail mary fade routes down the sideline into safety over double coverage and a running play.

They call that a two-minute drill, Mikey. You damnable retard. It's one thing if your boys lose on the field and you do everything as a coach to get them to where they should be. It's another entirely when through your own retardation, you **** away any chance whatsoever for your boys to make a late showing, even if it doesn't result in victory.

**** poor job, Gundy. I used to not say much about you, being a fellow Midwest City boy. Now you've finally showed your *** beyond all defense. ****. Effing. Poor.

sooneron
12/31/2008, 12:14 AM
kudos to jkm for a trip down the old SO memory lane...

sooner59
12/31/2008, 12:18 AM
IMO oSu was the better team. They got outcoached tonight. I am not surprised. Its a sad case for the Big 12, but what else could we expect from aggy?

BigRedJed
12/31/2008, 01:28 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/bsgtongue.gif

OUWxGuesser
12/31/2008, 01:41 AM
They got outcoached tonight.

Dunno. Couple key hits on the QB and their #1 receiver going out and being less than 100%? That was the turning point in my eyes.

JLEW1818
12/31/2008, 01:47 AM
Florida -5 , right before kickoff, book it now.....

not that i care, OU will win, just saying tho

sendbaht
12/31/2008, 01:51 AM
OSU looked pretty good for the first 1/2 but then Gundy stated thinking how he was going to spend his 400k.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2008, 02:04 AM
they refused to run the ball all night. pokey state reminded me of us in 2003, afraid to run the ball and wanting to sit back in the shotgun when it isn't there.

P3 Gator
12/31/2008, 07:00 AM
They reminded me of http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r479/jereed16/poop1.gif

olevetonahill
12/31/2008, 07:04 AM
The Other Team has the Ball and you let Time run out with 2 TOs left ?:rolleyes:

swardboy
12/31/2008, 08:56 AM
The Other Team has the Ball and you let Time run out with 2 TOs left ?:rolleyes:

Really? I fell asleep halfway thru the last quarter it was so bad...

OklahomaTuba
12/31/2008, 09:08 AM
The clock management by Gundy is good stuff too.

And what the hell is up with Gundy sitting on the bench drawing up plays with Robinson while his D is getting shredded???

BigRedJed
12/31/2008, 09:13 AM
That's been his schtick this season. When they won games announcers would get all over his junk saying what a cool customer he was, calm under pressure, offensive genius, blah, blah, blah...

Hot Rod
12/31/2008, 09:45 AM
Dunno. Couple key hits on the QB and their #1 receiver going out and being less than 100%? That was the turning point in my eyes.

Word

badger
12/31/2008, 09:49 AM
Nah, they couldn't run for some reason, so they abandoned it. It would be okay, if they had been able to seal the deal in the first half. They had about 500 opportunities to go up by 20 or so, but failed in every way to put the game on ice. If they had done that, they could neutralize the Oregon run game which had been killing them all night. Instead, they let Oregon hang around and wear them down so that once the 4th quarter came by, there was no question that Oregon was going to win big.

At one point, OSU had the ball for 23 minutes, and Oregon 10. How the hell did Gundy let his D get tired? That's inexcusable.

adoniijahsooner
12/31/2008, 10:00 AM
Nah, they couldn't run for some reason, so they abandoned it. It would be okay, if they had been able to seal the deal in the first half. They had about 500 opportunities to go up by 20 or so, but failed in every way to put the game on ice. If they had done that, they could neutralize the Oregon run game which had been killing them all night. Instead, they let Oregon hang around and wear them down so that once the 4th quarter came by, there was no question that Oregon was going to win big.

At one point, OSU had the ball for 23 minutes, and Oregon 10. How the hell did Gundy let his D get tired? That's inexcusable.

Depth was an issue, but when those guys were fresh they looked fast and in control.

Scott D
12/31/2008, 10:10 AM
The clock management by Gundy is good stuff too.

And what the hell is up with Gundy sitting on the bench drawing up plays with Robinson while his D is getting shredded???

yeah he's been doing that all season. Probably why he keeps having to get a new defensive coordinator every year. ;)

Taxman71
12/31/2008, 11:00 AM
osu has 2 offensive weapons....Bryant and Hunter. The O-line got dominated the entire game, and basically took Hunter (and their entire running game) out of the game early. Oregon practically gave them the game by not doubling up on Bryant. Once he got hurt, their offense was hail mary to Bryant or Robinson scramble for his life.

The stat of the night to me was that osu is ranked like 96th in D-1 in "scoring in goal-to-go" situations. That tells me that they cannot run block worth crap and the rest of their offense demands alot of space to get guys open with their quickness.

BigRedJed
12/31/2008, 11:01 AM
:les: MOST POWERFUL OFFENSE IN THE WORLD!!

BigRedJed
12/31/2008, 11:02 AM
Or should that be "awfense?"

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2008, 11:12 AM
It occurred to me that Gundy playing the OC role may have been a factor. As the announcers pointed out, Gundy doesn't even watch the game when his defense is on the field. His defense was getting beat up physically late in the game partly because his offense was being impatient and going for the big play. So even if the big play was there (it wasn't), it would have put his D right back on the field with little rest. I think the coach needs to get the feel of all aspects of the game and work with both the DC and the OC.

BigRedJed
12/31/2008, 11:14 AM
Wouldn't accepting mediocrity be easier?

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2008, 11:22 AM
Wouldn't accepting mediocrity be easier?

So true, but it looked like they could have won with less stupidity. That Oregon coach is a good one, so not surprising which coaching staff was better.

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/31/2008, 11:24 AM
What do you mean....mediocrity is a big success for them!!!

Piware
12/31/2008, 11:28 AM
Thought it was wierd that anyone watching could tell Robinson had stars and canaries circling his head but Gundy seemed to miss that. I know we have had guys play through some injuries but not when they have been knocked cuckoo. Could their backup QB possibly have done any worse?

When Bryant went out, Robinson just looked lost as that is who he locks on.

I will never understand the Poke mentality - and I think I am happy about that.

zeke
12/31/2008, 11:31 AM
It reminded me that going for the big play far to often and letting your QB get smoked all night will cause you to loose. Also letting the opposing QB run over your DB's will let you get beat too.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2008, 11:31 AM
osu has 2 offensive weapons....Bryant and Hunter. The O-line got dominated the entire game, and basically took Hunter (and their entire running game) out of the game early. Oregon practically gave them the game by not doubling up on Bryant. Once he got hurt, their offense was hail mary to Bryant or Robinson scramble for his life.

The stat of the night to me was that osu is ranked like 96th in D-1 in "scoring in goal-to-go" situations. That tells me that they cannot run block worth crap and the rest of their offense demands alot of space to get guys open with their quickness.

the run game wasn't there in the 1st quarter because they were stacking the box. when they started doubling bryant in the 2nd, every time they handed the ball off to a running back on a non-option play they were getting 7 yards a carry. that was the case for the rest of the game.

2 years ago, i thought that pokey state had one of the best designed power run games in the country. they used the counter to make their OL seem so much better than it was. they seem to have abandoned that for whatever this finesse version is that they run now.

Oldnslo
12/31/2008, 11:32 AM
I think the game is actually a good barometer/omen for us. State lost the game, I think, because of two not-so-special teams breakdowns that led to 14 points. Maybe their D would have allowed some other scores, but that first run-back put a whole lot of zip into the Duck's waddle.

BigRedJed
12/31/2008, 11:33 AM
Thought it was wierd that anyone watching could tell Robinson had stars and canaries circling his head...
That was actually just the ginormous goofy cards that they hold up on the sidelines.

OklahomaTuba
12/31/2008, 11:54 AM
So, here is a question.

When Gundy is done playing with his crayons on the sideline, do they make new flashcards???

Mixer!
12/31/2008, 01:13 PM
Because [hairGel]'s old running buddy is the pokey's S&C coach, and the players aren't conditioned properly to play 60 minutes of ball.

Widescreen
12/31/2008, 01:13 PM
Did you post this

:les: MOST POWERFUL OFFENSE IN THE WORLD!!

just so you could post this?

Or should that be "awfense?"

Or did you think of that after posting the first one?

picasso
12/31/2008, 01:26 PM
I think the game is actually a good barometer/omen for us. State lost the game, I think, because of two not-so-special teams breakdowns that led to 14 points. Maybe their D would have allowed some other scores, but that first run-back put a whole lot of zip into the Duck's waddle.

that and had ole Dezzer held onto to the ball to make it 24-7.

NYC Poke
12/31/2008, 01:39 PM
Tackling would help, too. :(

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2008, 01:42 PM
Tackling would help, too. :(

lets not get greedy here. you were away from home in a semi-big game. when was the last time you guys didn't fall apart defensively in the second half against a non-chase daniels led team? i seem to remember some big halftime leads against texas slipping away too.

East Coast Bias
12/31/2008, 01:54 PM
Oregon's offensive and defensive line owned the aggies and by the fourth quarter the offensive line was plowing everyone down.Even their wr's and QB were blocking and running over anyone in front of them. If the game would have went 5 quarters Oregon could have ran for another 300 yards...

KC//CRIMSON
12/31/2008, 02:00 PM
This thread would have turned out so much better if Norm had started it.......

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2008, 02:02 PM
pikshurs of nekkid sheep ain't allowd

douxpaysan
12/31/2008, 02:05 PM
that and had ole Dezzer held onto to the ball to make it 24-7.
that looked like a touchdown to me...big 10 refs were smokin' the ganja.

NYC Poke
12/31/2008, 02:06 PM
lets not get greedy here. you were away from home in a semi-big game. when was the last time you guys didn't fall apart defensively in the second half against a non-chase daniels led team? i seem to remember some big halftime leads against texas slipping away too.

That's it, twist the knife.

boomermagic
12/31/2008, 02:50 PM
That's been his schtick this season. When they won games announcers would get all over his junk saying what a cool customer he was, calm under pressure, offensive genius, blah, blah, blah...

The words Gundy and Genius should NEVER be used in the same sentence..

Freelemur
12/31/2008, 03:02 PM

exactly right. OSU didnt stop running the ball, they were stopped from running the ball. Not only did their oline get dominated in the run game but they teed off on robinson all day. They're a 2 man team, once those 2 were taken care of they were nothing.

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 03:09 PM
exactly right. OSU didnt stop running the ball, they were stopped from running the ball. Not only did their oline get dominated in the run game but they teed off on robinson all day. They're a 2 man team, once those 2 were taken care of they were nothing.

Wrong.

They started having success running the ball, but, whether it was the frantic pace of the end of the game, or just plain stupidity, Gundy decided to put it in the air ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY towards the end of the game.

I'm not saying Oregon didn't do a good job stuffing the run for the most part; but OSU didn't even try to run it towards the end of the game.

And not that I'm a Poke fan or anything, but Pettigrew might take issue with your "they're a two man team" comment; he's pretty good for a projected mid-first round NFL draft pick.

SoonerBacker
12/31/2008, 03:10 PM

I'm not so sure about that. The Pokies only attempted 12 running plays the entire second half. They averaged 4.6 per play on those rushing attempts. I'd take that average running the ball.

OklahomaRed
12/31/2008, 03:17 PM
They got beat cause I quit cheering for them after the end of the half. First half I cheered for them and then I read my sister-in-law's, who is a Boone Pickens State graduate, Facebook page where she is at the O.U. vs. Arkansas basketball game and she writes, "Go Hogs!!!!" on her Facebook. I comment on status saying that I don't understand how aggies can always root against O.U. regardless? It would make sense you would want your conference rivals to win so that it strengthens the conference and make your team look better? I wrote that I HAD been pulling for the Pokes but since she enlightened me with how petty some people can be "Go Ducks"!!!! It was at that time the Pokes lost their mojo! :D

BigRedJed
12/31/2008, 03:41 PM
This thread would have turned out so much better if Norm had started it.......
Hey, I remember that guy! Barely...

BigRedJed
12/31/2008, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if he would post again sometime?

goingoneight
12/31/2008, 03:56 PM
Running the ball is easier said than done when your guys up front are whipped. WAY easier said than done. Run blocking has been, is and always will be WAY more difficult than pass-blocking.

Zac Robinson, good as he's been, lacks the skills to finish a game if he can't run wild on you. I saw this against Texas, Texas Tech, and a little bit against us. Anything he throws beyond ten yards is a floater and he showed that while he's tough, he's not superman... the hits phased him more than Poke fans will want to admit. Add insult to injury, they had a hobbling at best Dez Bryant and apparently Pettigrew had been playing in the Pennzoil again because he dropped a few that stalled drives.

I'll also say this again... Hunter, good as he is... is nothing special when a team focuses to stop him. He doesn't kick anything outside, he doesn't have the speed or vision to keep a play alive that you get out of the great that Poke fan kept comparing him to all season long in Barry Sanders. He's not a game-breaker in the mold of a Reggie Bush, Barry Sanders, Joe Washington or even an AD when his guys up front are whipped. He's a power guy who is very similar to Chris Brown with a little bit more speed in the open field.

In short, OSU caugt a few bad breaks and they weren't able to coach their way out of them... it happens. They have about as many complaints as we do against Bose State. You lose a few key guys, you come out flat, you get tired early and you're playing behind the 8-ball before you know it, regardless of how much better you may think you are.

BigMoneySooner
12/31/2008, 05:05 PM
I'm not so sure about that. The Pokies only attempted 12 running plays the entire second half. They averaged 4.6 per play on those rushing attempts. I'd take that average running the ball.

What were the circumstances for those rushing plays? Draw on 3rd-and-12? The defense will give you 6 yards on that all day.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2008, 05:41 PM
What were the circumstances for those rushing plays? Draw on 3rd-and-12? The defense will give you 6 yards on that all day.

only one of their runs was on 3rd and long. i think robinson kept it up the middle for over 20 yards. it was a play they should have used more often as oregon was massively overpursuing to the side of the field.

oklahoma state has always been able to run the ball with a mediocre line because they have always used counters and crossbucks to use an opponents speed against them. you can still run the ball when your OL is getting whipped if you get the D to move the wrong way and flow back against the grain. heck, Q rushed for almost 2000 yards in 2002 with an average OL off of this very principle -> action one way and he'd counter the other way, make one guy miss and it was off to the races.

tulsaoilerfan
12/31/2008, 11:17 PM
Surely this game didn't surprise any of us; one of my buds texted me the words "poke choke" at halftime when they were up 17-7; he was right. :)

LSUdeek
12/31/2008, 11:24 PM
Formula: Keep UF off the field.

Doesn't matter that Sam won the Heisman, run Brown and Murray until their legs fall off. Run it 40+ times.

tulsaoilerfan
12/31/2008, 11:28 PM
Formula: Keep UF off the field.

Doesn't matter that Sam won the Heisman, run Brown and Murray until their legs fall off. Run it 40+ times.

Sorry, Murray's leg already fell off in the Big 12 title game; gonna be Brown and Madu instead :(

OUinFLA
1/1/2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry, Murray's leg already fell off in the Big 12 title game

Is that what happened? I thought Bob said he just tweaked a hamstr.... oh, wait......
I got it now.

Piware
1/1/2009, 12:52 AM
I nearly choked on my adult beverage when their QB ran over a Poke defender. I attribute the whole thing to a striking lack of hair gel on Gumby's part.

Crucifax Autumn
1/1/2009, 12:53 AM
All I know is that no coach but one in orange could actually make so many retarded decisions in one game.

Desert Sapper
1/1/2009, 01:11 AM
I felt sorry for Robinson. He was getting the crap knocked out of him all game, some hits coming WAAAAAAY later than they should have been allowed. By the middle of the third, the game was over. He couldn't throw to save his life, and the pokes couldn't run at all against the duck d-line. Couple that with the Oregon QB and big running back plowing over the poke secondary, and it got ugly at the end.

Crucifax Autumn
1/1/2009, 01:15 AM
Couple that with the Oregon QB and big running back plowing over the poke secondary

Yeah, but who coached those linemen and backers to let those guys get into the secondary? It was a pathetic effort imo, though I do agree the dumbazz refs coulda called roughing about 10 times.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2009, 02:07 AM
He couldn't throw to save his life

i thought he was throwing pretty accurately considering dez bryant was number 11111

Desert Sapper
1/1/2009, 12:33 PM
i thought he was throwing pretty accurately considering dez bryant was number 11111

Bryant was apparently his only option. He threw the ball at him even when he wasn't on the field.