PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan gets the boot in Denver

swardboy
12/30/2008, 05:48 PM
He shoulda stayed with Q ;)

OUHOMER
12/30/2008, 06:12 PM
Hmm, I didnt see that coming.. Oh well screw him, you right he should have stayed with Q
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081230/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_shanahan_fired

oumartin
12/30/2008, 06:29 PM
Tons of NFL jobs opening up.

Stoopsie gonna take a peek? You know someone will make a call or two to him.

Bad thing about the NFL. you can win it all one year and be gone the next.

P3 Gator
12/30/2008, 06:47 PM
Tons of NFL jobs opening up.

Stoopsie gonna take a peek? You know someone will make a call or two to him.

Bad thing about the NFL. you can win it all one year and be gone the next.

I don't get really successful Div I coaches going to the pros. They're king of the hill in their universe if they're successful, have much more control over disciplining players, make good money (I guess an extra million or two doesn't hurt), and you have somewhat more control over who plays for you (I don't care who coaches Detroit, they can't win with what they're given). I'd feel OK about Stoops if I was you.

Scott D
12/30/2008, 07:18 PM
bwahahaha now how is that jackass going to get his tan in a can on?

sooner518
12/30/2008, 07:37 PM
wow i am shocked by this. Shannahan and Pat Bowlen are super close and I never even heard anyone in Denver even questioning that Shannahan would be coach for life.

soonermeteor
12/30/2008, 07:40 PM
I hate to see great coaches go out like this. :( I guess he got a decade of chances because of his superbowl wins, but his time has run out. I heard on the local news that it was because Pat Bowlen told him to fire the defense coordinator and he refused. It also sounds like Cower might be the favorite to replace him.

catsigater
12/30/2008, 08:10 PM
Would love to see Shanahan in KC. BTW, he was the OC at UF when I went to school there.

Scott D
12/30/2008, 08:12 PM
Would love to see Shanahan in KC. BTW, he was the OC at UF when I went to school there.

he's already racing Norv Turner to who can coach the entire AFC West first...and they're tied ;)

bluedogok
12/30/2008, 09:16 PM
Don't forget to throw Schottenheimer in that mix as well....he could take the lead if the Raiders or Broncos hired him. Just how bad was the AFC West this season? The three teams who didn't make the playoffs are all looking for coaches.

sooner59
12/30/2008, 09:22 PM
Head coach in the NFL: about 3 years at $5/6 Million = $15-$20 Million + No control/No stability/Worse media, etc. (then jobless and moving around the country again).

Head coach in college (Bob Stoops at OU for example): as long as you want (say 25 years) at at around $3.5 Million = $87.5 Million + Bonuses + Stability/Control/Quality of life, etc.

If I were a head coach, thats how I would look at it. Pretty easy choice for me. NCAA > NFL.

cheezyq
12/30/2008, 09:27 PM
he's already racing Norv Turner to who can coach the entire AFC West first...and they're tied ;)

I would laugh, though, if Al Davis was looney enough to hire him back.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/30/2008, 09:50 PM
It wouldn't break my heart to see him land in Green Bay in the massive crater that was Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy.

soonerboomer93
12/31/2008, 08:46 AM
I would laugh, though, if Al Davis was looney enough to hire him back.

There is no way Shanahan will work with or be involved with Al Davis. If I recall correctly, it to years to settle the lawsuit/greivance from when Shanahan was fired from the raiders

This was unexpected, I was at DIA yesterday in the bar when it was announced and we were all pretty suprised.

Scott D
12/31/2008, 10:27 AM
Wow Bronco fans have an odd sense of reminiscence with Shanahan. He's a slightly above average coach, and an awful GM. He's accomplished virtually nothing since he couldn't ride John Elway's coat tails anymore.

There, I said it. And it'd be a very very cold day in hell before Shanahan would be in Oakland. In fact, the odds are greater that Al would convince Marty Schottenheimer to coach there before he'd even approach Shanahan.

8timechamps
12/31/2008, 07:13 PM
Wow Bronco fans have an odd sense of reminiscence with Shanahan. He's a slightly above average coach, and an awful GM. He's accomplished virtually nothing since he couldn't ride John Elway's coat tails anymore..

He's a well above average coach. Unfortunately, he is an "awful" Gm (as you put it). Living in Denver since the Wade Phillips days, and I've watched MS go from God to goat.

I was shocked yesterday, but not as much as some local sportswriters. Afterall, he's only won one playoff game since 1999 (last time Elway saw the field). However, it was always assumed that he had the job for life. Bringing two championships to one of (if not the) craziest football towns in the country meant a lot to the people here.

I guess it goes without saying, nobody's really ever safe.

There, I said it. And it'd be a very very cold day in hell before Shanahan would be in Oakland. In fact, the odds are greater that Al would convince Marty Schottenheimer to coach there before he'd even approach Shanahan.

Mike will NEVER coach for Al Davis. Dude still owes him millions. In fact, he won't touch an AFC West job. He's too close to Bowlen (wierd, I know). I think he'll look to an NFC team (I really think he'll be with the Cowboys either this season or next), or possibly find a college job to end his career.

Mike's a GREAT X's and O's guy. Just can't grade talent to save his life. That was ultimately his undoing here.

redtornado33
12/31/2008, 08:11 PM
Proof that winning 2 super bowls and building a consistent winner is still not good enough to keep your job in the NFL, Denver is gonna learn in time that it was mistake to fire Shanahan, they will be hard pressed to find a better coach, and to find someone who can to do any better with the talent they have, good luck Denver you boneheads...

soonerboomer93
12/31/2008, 08:21 PM
a consistent winner?

he only needed 1 win in the last 3 games and we played mother****in buffalo...

he was a bad GM, they should have hired and GM and kept him on as coach for a bit longer, but I doubt Shanahan would have accepted not being in charge of personnel

bluedogok
12/31/2008, 09:26 PM
That was what one of the writers wrote, it was Shanahan the GM that got fired, not Shanahan the coach...but unfortunately for him they were the same person with two jobs.

badger
12/31/2008, 10:40 PM
More on Stoops... (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20081231_298_0_Oklaho437080)

vessey632
1/1/2009, 12:56 AM
ESPN just had a report on Shanahan saying that Pat Bowlen is going to or is currently talking to Stoops about the Broncos job. Say it ain't so Bobby!

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2009, 01:19 AM
From the outside, Bowlen appears to be one of the top owners in the league. He chooses coaches carefully and sticks with them and gives them the support to win. If Stoops does want to try the NFL, I think it is a primo job. But I don't want Bob up here - I want him to stay right where he is and crankin' out Sooner teams in a great way. ;)