PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Oklahoma St.- Oregon tonight?

SPuL
12/30/2008, 04:23 PM
Didn't see a thread.

Anyways this should be interesting game.

anyone else notice how even these two's offensive games are??

Both are 9-3

OSU avgs 41.6 ppg Oregon 41.9

OSU avgs 489.3 ypg, Oregon avgs 478

I still hate Oregon from that BS a few years ago. Hopefully OSU smashes them and the D shows strong. If OSU can shut down the 7th ranked offensive scoring unit in the nation make me feel better about dropping 61 on em :cool:

However, I see it going like around 45-28 OSU

NYC Poke
12/30/2008, 04:31 PM
Oregon's offense really came alive in the second part of the season. However, they did it mainly with their running game, which is one of our relative strengths on defense. Hopefully, we'll be able to contain them. I'd take the over.

SPuL
12/30/2008, 04:36 PM
Didn't Oregon start the season off as the #1 offense in nation? Then I believe they suffered an injury at QB or something that staggered them. But I remember they started out avg 50+ ppg first few games and led nation in total ypg

fadada1
12/30/2008, 04:36 PM
don't try any onsides kicks.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2008, 04:37 PM
All the stats look pretty even, but the ducks really came on at the end of the season whereas OSU was more consistent. Makes me worry that Oregon might be the hot team.

Okie35
12/30/2008, 04:46 PM
if the osu watched usc/oregon they should be able to dominate this game through the air ... oregon runs a weird coverage that puts their dbs out there alone(they barely ever have a safety over the top)... bryant and pettigrew(sp?) should have big plays tonight... but i dont know if osu can stop oregon's run game... it should be a good game... and since its non conference i hope the pukes win

Readyfor8
12/30/2008, 04:47 PM
I think the Pac10 is pretty weak, I would go with the Cowboys on this one if I were a betting man, but it should be close.

badger
12/30/2008, 04:49 PM
Be men! Score 40!

Blitzkrieg
12/30/2008, 04:57 PM
Since they are our little brother, we score 60, they score 40.

I'll take the over on shots of gundy drawing up plays during defensive series. The real drama will be can they show him drawing up plays more than they showed Chase Daniel's family last night?

JLMSOONER
12/30/2008, 05:51 PM
I think if the pokies play anything like they played us, they will roll pretty good.

NYC Poke
12/30/2008, 06:01 PM
I think if the pokies play anything like they played us, they will roll pretty good.

Strange as it may sound given the final score, I agree with this. We played our hearts out against you guys, but were eventually worn down by the superior team.

Boomer Mooner
12/30/2008, 06:02 PM
Where are the zebras from for this game?

PDXsooner
12/30/2008, 06:02 PM
Don't let it be a close game, and pray to God there aren't Pac-10 refs. Because the University of Oregon and Pac-10 are SHAMELESS when it comes to how far they'll go to steal a game.

P3 Gator
12/30/2008, 07:08 PM
Whoever has the ball last wins. The number 7 and 8 scoring offenses against defenses ranked down around 80. Over-under is 75.

NYC Poke
12/30/2008, 07:19 PM
Whoever has the ball last wins. The number 7 and 8 scoring offenses against defenses ranked down around 80. Over-under is 75.

Call your bookie and take the over.

Really, the only question for me in this game is which of our defenses will show up, the one that limited Texas to 28 in Austin or the one that rolled over against TT in Lubbock?

Frozen Sooner
12/30/2008, 07:20 PM
Ought to be entertaining.

I'll go with the Pokies 55-35.

Pokies have lost to OU, Texas, and Tech. Those are three legit top ten team and all of them were ranked at least #2 at some point this season. They also knocked around Missouri pretty good when everyone thought Missouri was good. They took Texas to the wire and had us nervous in the fourth.

Oregon has beaten a Quizz Rogers-less Oregon State. Don't think they've beaten any other ranked teams.

sendbaht
12/30/2008, 07:48 PM
I feel lucky that ESPN has the game one here in Thailand. Go Cowboys...

I root for ALL big 12 teams to win their bowls but one.....

OKLA21FAN
12/30/2008, 08:01 PM
I feel lucky that ESPN has the game one here in Thailand. Go Cowboys...

I root for ALL big 12 teams to win their bowls but one.....

Oh no, Dina, Jack can talk Thai. Jack talked Thai real well. :pop:

Iam4OUru
12/30/2008, 08:01 PM
Go Ducks.....:D

KingBarry
12/30/2008, 08:19 PM
I'll say OSU should take this one by about 10 to 13 points.

That's based on my judgement that OSU is a very good team, and great in some areas, that is limited mainly by the fact that they sometimes run out of gas.

If Oregon plays very well, it could go down to the wire, but I just don't think the Ducks are going to be at their best. And there shouldn't be much home cookin', although the game IS on the West Coast.

Mike Gundy's personal experience in leading OSU to a Holiday Bowl Championship in 88 could be an additional edge.

I'm pulling for the Pokes, first because I'm p***** about the lack of respect shown towards the Big XII's outstanding 2008 season, and second because of the Gordon Reise fisco. (Although in fairness, it wasn't hapless Gordon's fault. The on-field guys were amazingly incompetent or corrupt, or both.)

But of course, as always, if Gundy and the boys lose, I will still think it's funny.

Okie35
12/30/2008, 08:29 PM
like i said in the earlier post look at their pass coverage... its horrible... ok state should roll in this game if they play their cards right...

Crucifax Autumn
12/30/2008, 08:34 PM
You won't hear this from me very often, but go sheephumpers!

Iam4OUru
12/30/2008, 08:34 PM
I love watching OSU's offense.....except durin' Bedlam. :D

G8trGr8t
12/30/2008, 11:47 PM
Lots of ole' defense from both teams. :pplsole they are almost afraid to hit somebody. TD Oregon, game over. Oh well, at least Mizzou pulled one out of the hat last night for the Big 12 but that wasn't very impressive either when you consider that NW os the 4th or 5th best team in the little 10.

G8trGr8t
12/30/2008, 11:50 PM
So does this mean the Oregon has a better defense than Oklahoma since they "only" gave up 31?

NYCPoke, where are all those great playmakers you were bragging about when you said that OK State would match up athletically with the Gators?

P3 Gator
12/30/2008, 11:50 PM
Oregon's defense appears to be pounding OSU harder than OU did.. OSU's QB looks like he's ready to lay down.

G8trGr8t
12/30/2008, 11:55 PM
So does this mean the Oregon has a better defense than Oklahoma since they "only" gave up 31?

NYCPoke, where are all those great playmakers you were bragging about when you said that OK State would match up athletically with the Gators?

SteelCitySooner
12/30/2008, 11:59 PM
Lots of ole' defense from both teams. :pplsole they are almost afraid to hit somebody. TD Oregon, game over. Oh well, at least Mizzou pulled one out of the hat last night for the Big 12 but that wasn't very impressive either when you consider that NW os the 4th or 5th best team in the little 10.

Mizzou was like the 5th or 6th best team in the big 12 though..

L-Boy
12/31/2008, 12:06 AM
Oregon 42 Okie st 31

OU 61 Okie St 41

OU 51, #17 Oregon 42 ???

PDXsooner
12/31/2008, 12:15 AM
A) Dez Bryant getting hurt cost Okla St the game. He had well over 100 yards receiving in the 1st half, and was unstoppable.

B) So the 4th place Big 12 team got beat by the Pac-10's #2 -- Whoop dee doo.

The Remnant
12/31/2008, 12:17 AM
The OSU Cowboys just laid a big smelly turd in San Diego.

sooneron
12/31/2008, 12:18 AM

THat was so good it was worth posting twice?:confused:

sooner59
12/31/2008, 12:22 AM
Well Oregon was the #2 team in the PAC-10. How would Oregon match up against the BIG 12 #2? Oregon vs. Texas = Texas-52 - Oregon-17. OSU choked....as usual.

SteelCitySooner
12/31/2008, 12:22 AM
why all these damn gators green?

Bluto Blutarsky
12/31/2008, 04:15 AM
A) Dez Bryant getting hurt cost Okla St the game. He had well over 100 yards receiving in the 1st half, and was unstoppable.

Uhhhh, no. Since when does Bryant play defense? Bryant was unstoppable while he was in the game, much like the entire Oregon offense the 2nd half.

Gator996
12/31/2008, 07:41 AM
This thread started with a lot of talk about OSU rolling and the lack of respect being shown the Big12 defenses...

...and its turned into another thread that littered with excuses as to why another Big12 defense couldn't stop anything thrown at it.

On Jan 8th, your fraud defense is going to be exposed.

OU4LIFE
12/31/2008, 08:14 AM
blah blah blah blah speed blah blah blah defense, blah blah blah blah.

I agree, WE'RE DOOMED.

blah

SoonerBacker
12/31/2008, 08:37 AM
Uhhhh, no. Since when does Bryant play defense? Bryant was unstoppable while he was in the game, much like the entire Oregon offense the 2nd half.

Uhhhhhh, yes! Dez DOESN'T play defense. But if you were watching the game, you know that once he got injured, oSu's offense became much less effective. The pokies were moving the ball and staying ahead of Oregon through offensive drives until Bryant's injury sidelined.

Then, the pokie defense started spending much more time on the field. Even the unbiased commentators pointed that out in the 4th quarter.

I can't believe I'm actually standing up for the Pukes! God, Forgive Me!

olevetonahill
12/31/2008, 08:45 AM
why all these damn gators green?

Cause I thot I could Manipulate a Pole . :O
I cant so Im taking the Green Back LOL

swardboy
12/31/2008, 08:51 AM
There's no defending the pokes:
1. Robinson was locked on Dez
2. The rest of the receivers were dropping passes like live hand grenades
3. The D was playing touch football
If gators want to think this was some kind of portending for our game....GOOD.

aero
12/31/2008, 08:56 AM
No, Bryant doesn't play defense. But as many times happens, when an offense loses a key player and it changes the offenses production, as in terms of first downs, td's, time of possession, etc., the defense ends up spending more time on the field - many times resulting in giving up more yardage and scores. The D ends up tiring and keep giving a team chances to score and their odds certainly go up the more you give them the ball back. Yes, losing a key player can effect both sides of the ball. Look at OUr game with texass. We've got the lead and looking pretty good then Reynolds goes down. The D starts giving up yardage, first downs, and scores while the O sits on the bench getting cold. And don't forget what some success by a D does for the O and vice versa. We were a different team w/o Reynolds on that day. I thought of us watching osu last night. After Bryant went down it pretty much was over.

Crimsontothecore
12/31/2008, 09:09 AM
AT first I wanted the JKS's to beat the ducks but after I checked out their board this morning I'm glad the inbreds lost. They are actually using OU's loss to Arkansas in b-ball as a consolation for their bowl loss.
That settles the age old suspicion that they get more joy out of an OU loss then they do their own win.

AimForCenterMass
12/31/2008, 09:14 AM
I don't believe everything I read or hear, but I have read the officiating crew was from the Pac-10, which could explain the no-calls on late and illegal hits to Robinson, holding by Oregon, and leg whips. Can anyone verify the crew's association? I tried a search on Google but met with zero results.

Video of the leg whip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0LwIXQT8so

I'm sure someone can compile a video of the many holds and late/illegal hits that were overlooked.

Mac94
12/31/2008, 09:22 AM
ESPN's announcers said it was a Pac-10 crew early in the first.

SoonerMom2
12/31/2008, 09:27 AM
Thought you were not allowed to officiate a game that a team from your conference was involved. Hard to believe that the PAC 10 would have been officiating that game. ESPN announcers are not the best.

Mac94
12/31/2008, 09:29 AM
BTW, for the Gators that want to make alot of hay about the Big-12's showing so far .... it doesn;t matter. Florida will get no bonus points for it .... you'll still have to line up and face OU man to man.

And, in 1985 when OU beat Penn State in Miami for the National Title the old Big-8 was a whopping 0-3 in bowls that year prior to the game and of the six bowl teams the Sooners faced in the regular season only one posted a win (7-5 Minnesota over 6-6 Clemson) in the bowl season. None of it mattered as Oklahoma rolled to MNC #6. What the rest of the Big-12 does in their bowl season will mean nada come January 8th.

SoonerBacker
12/31/2008, 09:31 AM

I thought they said Big 10.

Pieces Hit
12/31/2008, 09:33 AM
I liked when the announcer said the Duck QB was "unflappable".

har har

Mac94
12/31/2008, 09:33 AM
SoonerMom -

The Fowler, James, and Palmer crew is usually pretty good. And, the Pac-10 does have the rule about using Pac-10 refs for their OOC home games ... and technically Oregon was the home team last night. So, it isn;t that much of a suprise if its true that it was a Pac-10 crew.

Watch and see tommorrow for the Rose Bowl ... USC is the home team .... see if it's a Pac-10 crew.

insuranceman_22
12/31/2008, 09:35 AM
Officials were a Big 10 crew I think. As for the Poke loss, Bryant was part of the reason, but I'd say the primary reason was that Robinson was hurt. He couldn't get many passes out that were even catchable....even if Bryant was 100% he can't catch one-hoppers or those 12' over his head. Something was wrong with ZR either late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd.....and the Pokes wnet downhill after that injury.

SoonerBacker
12/31/2008, 09:36 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3334321

MIDWESTERN OFFICIATING CREW

Contrary to what was said on the telecast, the Holiday Bowl officiating crew was comprised of all Big Ten officials.

Mac94
12/31/2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah, it was a Big-10 crew ... just found the info. I heard wrong

Hot Rod
12/31/2008, 09:42 AM
Some bad calls I thought and I really figured there was going to be some late hit calls after Robinson took some shots.

birddog
12/31/2008, 09:47 AM
boone tech high has enough talent to hang around for awhile but they wear down because they don't have depth.

anyone know how many times they ran the ball in the 2nd half?

Piware
12/31/2008, 10:13 AM

The officiating crew was from the Big 10.

SoonerBacker
12/31/2008, 10:37 AM
boone tech high has enough talent to hang around for awhile but they wear down because they don't have depth.

anyone know how many times they ran the ball in the 2nd half?

They ran the ball 12 times in the entire 2nd half. Total of 56 yds (avg of 4.6 yds/rush). Seems to me that they went far too often to the pass after they had lost their best receiver and had the QB banged up with a bad shoulder.

Gundy is such an offensive genius! :rolleyes:

aero
12/31/2008, 10:52 AM
My first thought was "pac 10 crew" but then I thought no way they're letting a pac 10 crew ref the game. Regardless of who the officiating crew was, I was amazed at the non-calls for holding by the ducks. I saw several and some were multiple holds on the same play.

Taxman71
12/31/2008, 10:54 AM
Jesse Palmer's squeaky high school musical voice gets really annoying by the 2nd quarter....especially when repeats something Fowler or James just said and makes it sound original.

Overall, good game, but alot of trash talking for a meaningless bowl game.

Dr.Quack
12/31/2008, 12:06 PM
My thought on the game is that the better (and lower ranked) team won with a convincing performance that was considerably more physical during the second half. The Ducks began the year the way they ended last year, with a dreadful series of multiple quarterback injuries. But they've become accustomed to misfortune and fought on through the bad luck winning our way into one of the best non-BCS bowls. We have a good offensive scheme and a barely serviceable defense that frequently and barely gets the job done while making opposing offensive players into record breakers, as we managed to do in one healthy half for the amazing Dez Bryant. Not that anyone reading this cares a jig what I think.

As a Duck who teaches at OU (the death threats finally ended a few months ago, thank god, and no that's not a joke), I checked this thread thinking there might be dim hope for some shred of love from Sooner Nation. I should have known better. But unlike the posters delusional enough to think Pac-10 Refs officiate the Holiday Bowl, or lame enough to boo hoo that officials decided this game, or dizzy enough to meow meow about injuries to OSU (injuries happen, man, ask the Ducks), and WORSE who seem to cherish fondness for the bitter folk in Stillwater who resent you thoroughly (I live among you, you're hated and resented, take notice); I may get to see both my favorite and second favorite teams win their bowls.

Go Sooners!!!

It's been two years. It was a bad call. Move on. I'll check in the next time Oregon plays Texas with renewed hope.

Freelemur
12/31/2008, 12:07 PM

thats a good question. Who was this supposed all american running back they had? Did he even play. Normally when a team is full of playmakers they dont completely go into the tank just because he doesnt play the last quarter of a game. He was still on the field for 75% of the game and healthy for at least a half.
Its kind of sad whey you're physically manhandled by a pac 10 team not named USC. Good lord, Zac Robinson looked terrified to throw the ball in the second half... he was throwing it in the dirt, 10 feet out of bounds, he was awful.
And kudos to that stout Poke defense for refusing to allow a 3rd 100 yard rusher for the ducks, that was a nice little feather in your cap.... despite giving up 308 total on the ground. And that goal line stand did keep it from being a total beat down i suppose.

birddog
12/31/2008, 12:12 PM
It's been two years. It was a bad call. Move on. I'll check in the next time Oregon plays Texas with renewed hope.

i think everyone has moved on. but like other games that have been painful over the years, it's pretty normal to have a bad association with the opponents that gutted our spirits.

i'll never pull for oregon ever again. and i used to live there and support them as recently as 2003.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2008, 12:52 PM

We're still pissed about bad calls in Game of the Century I and vs. Texas in 1984. Get in line.

Dr.Quack
12/31/2008, 01:01 PM
It's imprudent to say "never," Birddog. Wait until Mack Brown finds another QB whose smile tells him right away that "there's just something so very special about this kid." Or perhaps Les Miles and his bayou hate mob may wander into Autzen, or some other pack of Sooner-hating SEC reprobates may do the same sporting title hopes and southeastern dominance on their minds. Or Carroll and his happy-go-lucky Trojans may face only one credible threat on their schedule, and it's wearing green (or whatever weird color Phil Knight dresses the team in that week). You may find out when you least expect it on some future Saturday in the unforeseeable future that there are worse things in the world than you previously dreamt possible. Things worse even than DUCKS. If somehow that happens, post me so I can take heart that the future in Norman won't be as bad as the last two years.

BigBoomerInBigD
12/31/2008, 01:02 PM
...and WORSE who seem to cherish fondness for the bitter folk in Stillwater who resent you thoroughly (I live among you, you're hated and resented, take notice)...

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/timeline/images/pearlharbornews.jpg

PDXsooner
12/31/2008, 01:04 PM
10-3 season for the Ducks. Congrats. It's about as good as it's going to get. Yeah, you might make a run at a BCS game every ten years or so but you're a 7-8 win program. It's not a bad thing, it's just reality.

Dr.Quack
12/31/2008, 01:31 PM
That'll teach me to look for love in the wrong places.

I'm relieved to know that a 7-8 win program can win 10 four times this decade, but I never claimed Oregon is a particularly terrific program. We've been in only one BCS bowl to date. It was a fun win against a good Colorado team. Had only two top-ten finishes in living memory (and maybe only one, as we might have been 11th). Half of my life Oregon football has been woeful. Now we're usually better than okay. The cup's half full for us. We might, barely, if we're lucky, give USC a run for the conference title next year; or we might win 7-8 like you predict.

picasso
12/31/2008, 01:34 PM
I"ll start cheering for the Ducks if you can start buzzing around the Peter Carrol hairdo.

NYC Poke
12/31/2008, 02:29 PM

Zac played the second half with a separated shoulder and Dez was sidelined with a knee injury. Way to stay klassy, Gator prick.

NYC Poke
12/31/2008, 02:31 PM
THat was so good it was worth posting twice?:confused:

It was worth neggin' twice. :D

Freelemur
12/31/2008, 02:45 PM
Zac played the second half with a separated shoulder and Dez was sidelined with a knee injury. Way to stay klassy, Gator prick.

he didnt say anything wrong champ, just asked you where all those studs on offense were. dont be down, you should be used to being mediocre at best.
Im sure the "president of sports illustrated" still thinks you guys are great.

NYC Poke
12/31/2008, 03:20 PM
Questioning the playmaking of guys who were injured is cool? Maybe on the Redneck Riviera.

BTW, even though he spent a lot of the game on the sidelines, DB still ended up with 167 yards and a TD, with another one that sure looked like a TD to me that was called incomplete. Hunter only had 13 touches, two of which were for TDs. I fault the playcalling for abandoning the run game too soon, also for not getting Pettigrew more involved. As for the secondary receivers, they needed to step up, sure, but it was hard for them to do so when a woozy Robinson kept skipping balls off the dirt or sending them sailing 12 ft. overhead.

Whatever. That game was lost by special teams and defensive breakdowns, not for any lack of offensive production.

OUmillenium
12/31/2008, 03:29 PM
OSU's top 3 playmakers were not 100%. That was the difference.

You think it mattered that Malcolm Kelley did not play the last 2 OU bowl games? + the other guys that missed last years' game?

When good players are not at their best, the whole team dynamic changes...in every team sport.

PDXsooner
12/31/2008, 04:07 PM
That'll teach me to look for love in the wrong places.

I'm relieved to know that a 7-8 win program can win 10 four times this decade, but I never claimed Oregon is a particularly terrific program. We've been in only one BCS bowl to date. It was a fun win against a good Colorado team. Had only two top-ten finishes in living memory (and maybe only one, as we might have been 11th). Half of my life Oregon football has been woeful. Now we're usually better than okay. The cup's half full for us. We might, barely, if we're lucky, give USC a run for the conference title next year; or we might win 7-8 like you predict.

Yeah, and mix in your 7-6, 8-5, 5-6, 7-6 seasons and it comes out to a 7-8 win program. Actually Bellotti's average over his 14 years is 8-4. So we'll make it an 8-win program.

Also, don't play the role of "frozen Caveman Fan" just looking for friends, from an innocent world. I've live in Portland for 13 years and there's no love lost. For some reason, after "replay-gate" the Duck fans came out hating OU as well. The hate runs both ways.

The difference is, OU is playing for a national title and Oregon's racking up late-December bowl trophies.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2008, 04:19 PM
And kudos to that stout Poke defense for refusing to allow a 3rd 100 yard rusher for the ducks, that was a nice little feather in your cap.... despite giving up 308 total on the ground. And that goal line stand did keep it from being a total beat down i suppose.

feather in "your" cap ? Er, this is not an aggie message board; did you take a wrong turn somewhere ?

G8trGr8t
12/31/2008, 04:25 PM

Had the sound down while doing some work. Did not know about the separated shoulder.

You were the one that was stating over and over again that OSU had many, many playmakers and now you want to lean on Dez missing a half. He is a great WR, no doubt and it is a shame he got injured.

If a team has depth and multiple playmakers as you claimed, the other playmakers step up. Seemed like OSU had one, not many playmakers. That was my point, OSU didn't have three or four guys all capable of stepping up if the main guy went down. UF, and I believe OU, does. We played without Percy Harvin in the Alabama game and others stepped up. It takes time to develop that kind of depth and maybe OSU will get there but they seemed to a different team without Dez.

Sorry to hear about any kid getting hurt. Tough guy to play with a separated shoulder. Much respect to him and hope Dez is just minor injury.

BigMoneySooner
12/31/2008, 05:08 PM
Questioning the playmaking of guys who were injured is cool? Maybe on the Redneck Riviera.

BTW, even though he spent a lot of the game on the sidelines, DB still ended up with 167 yards and a TD, with another one that sure looked like a TD to me that was called incomplete. Hunter only had 13 touches, two of which were for TDs. I fault the playcalling for abandoning the run game too soon, also for not getting Pettigrew more involved. As for the secondary receivers, they needed to step up, sure, but it was hard for them to do so when a woozy Robinson kept skipping balls off the dirt or sending them sailing 12 ft. overhead.

Whatever. That game was lost by special teams and defensive breakdowns, not for any lack of offensive production.

I'd think your "1st round offensive tackle" would have been able to open up more running lanes.

NYC Poke
12/31/2008, 05:10 PM
G8tr, I appreciate the post. They didn't mention the shoulder thing during the game. I thought from the way he was moving that he'd cracked some ribs or tweaked his back. I didn't find out until this morning that it was his shoulder. Oregon's coach said that Robinson had to shake hands with his left one because he couldn't use his right hand. Why Gundy didn't sub someone in is a debate that will rage on our boards until next fall.

Also frustrating were Gundy's comments that we became pass-happy because they were shutting down the run. BS. Everyone knows that the running game gets stronger as the game goes on. We won 9 games as a run-first team. Why try to get to 10 with the pass?

And the original argument was about offensive "talent," not overall depth, which I conceded to Florida very early on.

Finally, and hoping this ends all the Gators vs. Pokes nonsense the Sooners have had to endure (sorry, guys!), when talking about Big XII defenses, it's probably wise not to include OSU in that discussion. OSU does not have, and has not had, anything resembling a defense in recent memory. OSU is at or near the conference cellar in many key defensive stats, such as sacks and takeaways. Just because we suck at defense doesn't mean the rest of the conference does.

Dr.Quack
12/31/2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah, and mix in your 7-6, 8-5, 5-6, 7-6 seasons and it comes out to a 7-8 win program. Actually Bellotti's average over his 14 years is 8-4. So we'll make it an 8-win program.

Also, don't play the role of "frozen Caveman Fan" just looking for friends, from an innocent world. I've live in Portland for 13 years and there's no love lost. For some reason, after "replay-gate" the Duck fans came out hating OU as well. The hate runs both ways.

The difference is, OU is playing for a national title and Oregon's racking up late-December bowl trophies.

I don't think there's much to disagree with in this post, although the caveman thing seemed weirdly personal. I'm aware of the ill-will. I don't happen to share it. But I shouldn't have chimed in. That was just foolish. The excitement of an all-too-rare bowl win relevant (just barely) to the community I live in got the best of me. Peace to you, PDXSooner.

okiewaker
12/31/2008, 06:49 PM

I thought it was a total collapse of the O line. Hunter ran for what, some 30 yards or so, and robinson didn't have much time to throw. I think the O line let the team down. JMO

NYC Poke
12/31/2008, 06:57 PM
I thought it was a total collapse of the O line. Hunter ran for what, some 30 yards or so, and robinson didn't have much time to throw. I think the O line let the team down. JMO

That's a fair point. I expected better play from the line. But when you score 31 and lose (or 41, for that matter), that's a sign you need better defense.

BTW, the Tulsa World is now reporting that Hunter had arthroscopic surgery on his knee after the OU game. I am left wondering whether this factored into Gundy's playcalling.

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2008, 07:00 PM
Also, don't play the role of "frozen Caveman Fan" just looking for friends, from an innocent world.

How'd I get dragged into this?

PDXsooner
12/31/2008, 11:29 PM
at the end of the day, isn't everything about alaska?