PDA

View Full Version : Canes lose a QB; Domers take a knee

Jacie
12/30/2008, 04:23 PM
Miami QB Robert Marve decides to transfer
By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP)—Quarterback Robert Marve is leaving Miami, ending weeks of speculation about his future and adding to the tumultuous start of the Hurricanes’ offseason.

Marve started 11 of 13 games for the Hurricanes, but also served a pair of suspensions in unrelated incidents, including one that kept him out of the Emerald Bowl. He told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he asked coach Randy Shannon for his release from the program, and hours later, the school announced that Marve was leaving.

“I had to get out,” Marve told the AP from his family’s home in Tampa. “I just decided that I can’t play for coach Shannon.”

Marve’s decision came hours after Miami fired offensive coordinator Patrick Nix, with Shannon saying the team simply needed to go in a different direction. Marve and Nix were close, but Marve’s decision was not necessarily related to the coordinator’s dismissal.

Marve was one of the prized signings in Miami’s 2007 recruiting class, yet missed his freshman season because of injuries sustained in a car crash that summer. He won the starting job for 2008, but Shannon also played freshman Jacory Harris in every game.

“I just felt like it wasn’t fair to either one of us, honestly,” Marve said.

Marve completed 116 of 213 passes for 1,293 yards with nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

Harris finished the year 118-for-194 with 1,195 yards passing, 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions, and even if Marve returned, Harris was going to enter spring ball as the Hurricanes’ No. 1 quarterback.

Marve said he and Harris are good friends, but Marve added that he simply didn’t feel a connection to Shannon, and decided a change was necessary even though it’ll mean he’ll sit out again in 2009 under NCAA transfer rules. Marve told The AP that, while it’s disappointing to sit out another year, his body can use the time to continue healing from the crash.

“I don’t think people realize how hurt I was,” Marve said. “My body changed completely after that.”

Where will Marve go?

Florida, Tennessee and LSU were all thought of as possible destinations for Marve—but none of those will apparently be his new home. The release came with three conditions: He can’t play for teams in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Southeastern Conference or the state of Florida. It’s common for programs to place restrictions like those on the deal when a marquee player transfers.

“I’ve got to sort a lot of stuff out,” Marve said.

Earlier Tuesday, Shannon told WQAM radio he would have preferred Marve stay.

“Robert has to accept that, ‘Hey, I have to be a person that is willing to do what we are doing at the University of Miami,”’ Shannon said.

But Marve’s short time as the Hurricanes’ starter was marred, most notably by two incidents deemed serious enough to merit keeping him off the field.

He drew a one-game suspension to start this season because he was arrested on a misdemeanor charge related to an act of vandalism on Oct. 31, 2007, which is consistent with the policies Shannon put into place when he took over as coach two years ago.

Marve’s second suspension was for missing class for the fourth time in the semester, though he said he was late to the class because he was speaking with another professor. He went home soon after by his own choosing; other players who were suspended for breaking team rules continued practicing with the team until it departed for San Francisco.

The second suspension cost Marve a chance to play in the Emerald Bowl, which Miami lost to Cal 24-17. The Hurricanes finished the season 7-6.

“It was very hard, very frustrating for me to watch that,” Marve said. “I thought I could have helped.”

Doctor says surgery on Weis’ right knee successful
Dec 29, 5:56 pm EST

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP)—Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis underwent knee replacement surgery Monday.

Weis’ right knee was replaced and he is expected to have surgery at some point on his left knee, which was severely injured in a sideline collision with a player in September.

Dr. Willard G. Yergler said the replacement surgery was a success. Weis was expected to start walking on the knee later in the day and remain at Memorial Hospital for a day or two before several months of rehabilitation.

The 52-year-old Weis injured his left knee on Sept. 13 when defensive end John Ryan, who is 6-foot-5 and 264 pounds, was blocked into Weis during the Michigan game.

In early December, Weis said his right knee was causing him more pain than his left knee. He then had that knee examined and learned he needed the knee replacement.

“The severe deterioration of the bone explains the severe pain he suffered the last three weeks,” Yergler said.

Weis had planned to undergo surgery on his left knee Feb. 24, but the university said in a statement Monday that no decision has been made yet on what will be done with that knee.

Doctors told Weis the damage to his left knee was so severe it appeared that he had been in a car crash. He tore the anterior cruciate, medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligament and the lateral meniscus in that knee.

cvsooner
12/30/2008, 04:53 PM
So...we'll face Harris next fall.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2008, 04:58 PM
So...we'll face Harris next fall.

Yep, and I don't see that as a good thing. Harris looks to have more upside than Marve and well see him after another spring and fall camp.

soonerfan28
12/30/2008, 05:56 PM
South Florida was on his original list so thats probably why they won't let him stay in Florida.

KingBarry
12/30/2008, 08:47 PM
Yep, and I don't see that as a good thing. Harris looks to have more upside than Marve and well see him after another spring and fall camp.

Assuming you are right, and i think you are, then we would be seeing Harris anyway.

i think Marve was just done at Miami.