PDA

View Full Version : WILL SAM BE READY TO ROLL????????

fossil
12/30/2008, 02:51 PM
I searched four pages deep in on this board to make sure there wasn't already a current thread on this subject. Forgive me if I may have missed it.

Last I heard, the cast on Sam's left hand will be coming off the day before the game when he'll be fitted with some kind of splint by the trainers. It concerns me much that Sam will not be able to take any snaps either under center, and I would imagine he can't take any in the shotgun, until that cast comes off.

Can he regain whatever he may have lost in the layoff with one practice? How in the world can he stay sharp if he can't take any snaps?? Is Sam saavy enough to maintain that 'edge' without the repeated snaps that practice would afford him??

Anyone else out concerned about Sam's preparedness?? I haven't heard an update of any kind lately about his progress, so it worries me somewhat. No news isn't necessarily good news.

Anyone else out there heard anything either way????

BOOMER!!!

CK Sooner
12/30/2008, 02:57 PM
I searched four pages deep in on this board to make sure there wasn't already a current thread on this subject. Forgive me if I may have missed it.

Last I heard, the cast on Sam's left hand will be coming off the day before the game when he'll be fitted with some kind of splint by the trainers. It concerns me much that Sam will not be able to take any snaps either under center, and I would imagine he can't take any in the shotgun, until that cast comes off.

Can he regain whatever he may have lost in the layoff with one practice? How in the world can he stay sharp if he can't take any snaps?? Is Sam saavy enough to maintain that 'edge' without the repeated snaps that practice would afford him??

Anyone else out concerned about Sam's preparedness?? I haven't heard an update of any kind lately about his progress, so it worries me somewhat. No news isn't necessarily good news.

Anyone else out there heard anything either way????

BOOMER!!!

He can take snaps under center and in shotgun.

Last I heard he got his cast taken off and fitted with one like he had in the Big 12 Championship, I think.

Pieces Hit
12/30/2008, 02:58 PM
I just hope Bob doesn't say he's in great shape cuz I will start to worry if he's still alive. :)

fossil
12/30/2008, 02:59 PM
He can take snaps under center and in shotgun.

Last I heard he got his cast taken off and fitted with one like he had in the Big 12 Championship, I think.

:) Thank God, I was afraid he'd be stuck with that thing until just before game time.

Pieces Hit
12/30/2008, 03:02 PM
I wonder how many bad snaps will result from wearing that thing?

yikes.

BoulderSooner79
I can't remember the source, but I read Sam was taking shotgun snaps in practice now and that the cast was coming off the day before they leave for Miami (Friday?). That still leave most of a week for under center practice. I'm sure if anything changes on Sam's health, Stoops will keep us informed.

meoveryouxinfinity
I heard that he was getting it off the day before the game, and this concerned me as well.

I guess not?

Cappy
12/30/2008, 03:14 PM
I can't remember the source, but I read Sam was taking shotgun snaps in practice now and that the cast was coming off the day before they leave for Miami (Friday?). That still leave most of a week for under center practice. I'm sure if anything changes on Sam's health, Stoops will keep us informed.

Yeah, it was on ESPN last night said that it was coming off before the team left, either before or after the Misery game.

OUMallen
12/30/2008, 03:15 PM
Where are people getting this "cast off the day before the game" thing? No one can quote a source on it, but everyone's "heard" it...

yermom
12/30/2008, 03:18 PM
i'm pretty sure i heard it on TV more than once

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2008, 03:20 PM
Um, the cast comes off the day before the game. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Sam with his cast on at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Sooner Among The Pack
12/30/2008, 03:29 PM
I've never heard "day before the game" timeline. I did hear on ESPN First Take from Tim Griffin that Sam gets the cast taken off just before the team travels to Miami.

Aries
12/30/2008, 03:35 PM
No, I was at 31 Flavors last night. And your best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who's going with the girl who saw Sam with his cast on wasn't there.

:)

BigRedJed
12/30/2008, 03:40 PM
...I'm sure if anything changes on Sam's health, Stoops will keep us informed.
Heh.

Wait, that IS a joke, right?

fadada1
12/30/2008, 03:41 PM
great thing about sitting around in a hotel... plenty of time to practice snaps. with the self-imposed shortened curfue, something's telling me sam's going to see a lot of hind-end before the game.

yermom
12/30/2008, 03:43 PM
No, I was at 31 Flavors last night. And your best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who's going with the girl who saw Sam with his cast on wasn't there.

:)

i did almost run over him on Jenkins the other night. i didn't notice the cast though, i should have looked closer

OKC-SLC
12/30/2008, 03:45 PM

On espn.com's college FB site there is a clip (on that viewer to the right) titled "Oklahoma preparing for BCS Championship" and this is I believe what they said. I can't watch it at work, but this is my recollection.

I think I read that we are going down 6 days before the game (so 1/1 or 1/2).

OKC-SLC
12/30/2008, 03:46 PM
I did hear on ESPN First Take from Tim Griffin that Sam gets the cast taken off just before the team travels to Miami.

I believe this is the video I referred to---from First Take.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2008, 03:49 PM
Heh.

Wait, that IS a joke, right?

I thought smilies would be superfluous, repetitive and redundant for that statement. :)

josh09
12/30/2008, 03:52 PM
Sam will be fine, we will win #8, we will score 60 again, and the glass is always half full.

cvsooner
12/30/2008, 04:04 PM
The bigger question is will Auston English be ready? The Amarillo paper reported this, this mornng:

"The 6-foot-4, 255-pound English entered this junior season as the pre-season Big 12 defensive player of the year. But English, who at age 16 survived a 104-foot free fall down a jagged rock face while climbing in Colorado, was hammered by the injury bug.

"In the off-season, English had shoulder surgery. Just as he was finishing up his rehab for that injury, he had his appendix removed before fall camp opened. Then, Nov. 1 in a game against Nebraska, the medial collateral ligament was torn in his knee.

"I didn't see it coming and got hit in the knee and it buckled," English said.

"Despite missing consistent playing time, English finished with 33 tackles, nine of those for losses, recorded 4.5 sacks and recovered a fumble. His strength, speed and size are so respected he is ranked No. 16 on the 2009 NFL draft list by The Sporting News if he decides to forgo his senior season.

"The knee feels good," said English, who plans on being in the Sooners lineup against Florida. "I'm just trying to get back in shape. It's really hard not getting out there and practicing. This year was more frustrating than others just the way it all came about.

"You start to feel kind of disconnected from the team with so many injuries. It's nobody's fault. It's just something that happens. The show must go on."

I thought it was just a knee sprain....?

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2008, 04:16 PM
I've seen "torn" and "sprained" used for the same injury if the tear in not complete and does not require surgery. English did play against OSU and in the CCG and I haven't heard of any further injuries.

Anyone heard how Manny is doing and if he still needs the big arm brace ? His catches have been limited since returning and he's definitely dropped a few. I'm sure that brace interferes with the timing of getting his hands in place.

BigRedJed
12/30/2008, 04:20 PM
Sprains can -- but don't always -- include tears. Both of them refer to ligament damage. "Knee sprain" is not an incorrect description, however "torn MCL" is a MORE CORRECT one.

Also, I think a hurt MCL is generally preferable to ACL damage.

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/30/2008, 04:23 PM
I heard first hand from this very topic that Sam is not losing the cast until the day before the game.

cvsooner
12/30/2008, 04:51 PM
Ah. Thanks for the clarification on the knee issue.

instigator
12/30/2008, 04:57 PM
Here's the video:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-5-203/Video--Oklahoma-preparing-for-BCS-championship.html

Chrisrokc
12/30/2008, 05:04 PM
I am sure they are running plays from under center. But instead of the center snapping the actual ball, Bradford holds the ball his self under center. He will be good to go.

OzarkSooner
12/30/2008, 05:08 PM
Um, the cast comes off the day before the game. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Sam with his cast on at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

SAVE FERRIS!!!

Perhaps it's the soft cast/brace he will be getting removed the day before the game??? Hrmmmmmm?

StoopTroup
12/30/2008, 05:14 PM
I bet everyone is just sitting around staring at Sam's hand thinking good thoughts.

instigator
1/3/2009, 03:26 PM
Here is what he has on his hand. Looks more like a splint than a cast to me.

http://specialedge.smugmug.com/photos/447982352_WzjwG-XL.png

http://specialedge.smugmug.com/photos/447982332_UkadN-XL.png

http://specialedge.smugmug.com/photos/447982317_vEGoT-XL.png

http://specialedge.smugmug.com/photos/447982294_zVXXr-XL.png

SoonerLB
1/3/2009, 04:13 PM
Never fear, Tebow is going to lay his healing hand upon Sam's hand prior to kickoff. Sam will show his appreciation by bowing to one knee in thanks, then go out and out pass the healer by a 3 to 1 margin, leading the Sooners to a National Championship! ;)

SoonerInFla
1/3/2009, 04:15 PM
There are pictures of Sam and the team after arrival in Miami. The cast is still on.

MojoRisen
1/3/2009, 04:25 PM
Dude has been taking snaps under center for over a week and did not drop one.

As for the Knee sprains - who the hell knows with ole stoops... Also Brody Eldridge was in crutches.

Josh Eisenteith
1/3/2009, 04:28 PM
i did almost run over him on Jenkins the other night. i didn't notice the cast though, i should have looked closer

I'm glad you didn't. ESPN would be all over that.

instigator
1/3/2009, 04:38 PM
There are pictures of Sam and the team after arrival in Miami. The cast is still on.

These are those pictures. I took them directly from Soonersports.com's Daily Bowl Coverage.

OUHOMER
1/3/2009, 04:48 PM
By looking at those pics, It seems Josh has not been running with the team...

he has put on a few lb's

instigator
1/3/2009, 04:54 PM
And here is a pic from TODAY

http://specialedge.smugmug.com/photos/448034981_ngfqx-L.png

Agreed about Heupel. He's looking more like me than a football player. :P

SoonerInFla
1/3/2009, 04:57 PM
These are those pictures. I took them directly from Soonersports.com's Daily Bowl Coverage.

Yeah..I was in the delayed reaction post and mistakenly thought it was a cast. You posted while I was looking for the pics.

1890MilesToNorman
1/3/2009, 05:05 PM
Relax, his thumb was busted up for almost 2 full games and he manged to take care of business. it's all good fer Sammy............