PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the FU defense

Blitzkrieg
12/30/2008, 12:40 PM
Watch the SEC champ game on Tivo, and look at how bammmer attacks Wright and Haden in their secondary. Julio Jones is good, but we roll up 4 options on every pass play, and Wilson needs to ID these guys and call down and change the play. What is nice about our offense is we can figure a play to run on first down that will get these two together, and the no huddle and get a favorable macthup that puts the hurt on these guys.

I expert a Texas type rush from FU, although Orakpo is better than anything they have, because they are batter as a unit. Texas linebackers are terrible, FU has some players. Even with this rush, Sam will get a lot of balls off and we need to move the chains with YAC.

Thin White Duke
12/30/2008, 02:35 PM
Is your point that Wright and Haden are the DB's to attack? If so I disagree with you on half of that statement. Haden is very good in coverage. Wright is another story. He is a big hitter who sometimes misses out on a play on the ball because he is going for the knockout blow. He also takes bad angles sometimes. Ahmad Black is our other starting safety and he is better in coverage and has been making a lot of big plays for us in the second half of the season. I think you will see a lot more of Will Hill in this game. He is a true freshmen with a lot of athleticism but I worry about his positioning. It is Hill and Wright who OU should try and throw at.

Blitzkrieg
12/30/2008, 03:51 PM
In nickle coverage, which you must play against OU on every down, when those two are on one side of the field, that's where you should throw. I don't know if Haden is that good or not, but it appears that is where Saban thought the passing game should test FU.

badger
12/30/2008, 04:22 PM
Kirk Herbie will tell us that the key to beating Florida's defense is to throw it to Jeremy Grisham. :rolleyes:

P3 Gator
12/30/2008, 05:23 PM
Given the choice of throwing towards Haden or Jenkins at the other corner, throw at Haden. Jenkins is really solid.

Okie35
12/30/2008, 05:31 PM
can't really go off the sec ship but seriously in that game if a 9td 6int player aka jpw can throw to his primary receiver at ease when you know who he is throwing to almost every pass play then im pretty confident w/ the offense...

IBleedCrimson
12/30/2008, 05:37 PM
cant be done. soooo fassssst.....

Blitzkrieg
12/31/2008, 12:26 PM
So they overrun plays?

P3 Gator
12/31/2008, 12:53 PM
So they overrun plays?

Haden was converted to corner at the start of his UF career and he is just finishing up as a true sophomore. He is getting good, but not great. Jenkins is a true freshman but plays lock down corner. He's just a natural corner and the best we have already. Ahmad Black (safety) is too small, too slow, etc, etc, but is a player and overachiever who has played great this year (6 ints) after we lost the starter (Dorian Munroe) to an ACL and Jeremy Finch to transfer. My biggest concern is Wright at safety. He hits a ton but tends to focus on the hit rather than playing the ball and laying wood when appropriate. Will Hill at nickel is a big fast kid who is also a true freshman. He has great range but not too much experience. He'll be All- American (IMO) as a junior but needs reps. This is a good, but not great d-backfield and it will be a truly interesting match-up with your passing game.

What I think is just as interesting is our receivers against you d-backfiled. If you watch the SECCG (mentioned above), not only do our receivers catch the ball, but their down-field blocking is very good and agressive (see Louis Murphy mixing it up with Arenus in the end zone). Reilly Cooper is also an exceptional blocker at the receiver position. This is obviously something our coaching staff places a lot of emphasis on and has paid dividends on several of the long scoring runs this year. Really something to keep an eye on as you watch the game.

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/31/2008, 01:11 PM
Alex Trebek, What is not being an SEC offense?

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 01:21 PM
What I think is just as interesting is our receivers against you d-backfiled. If you watch the SECCG (mentioned above), not only do our receivers catch the ball, but their down-field blocking is very good and agressive (see Louis Murphy mixing it up with Arenus in the end zone). Reilly Cooper is also an exceptional blocker at the receiver position. This is obviously something our coaching staff places a lot of emphasis on and has paid dividends on several of the long scoring runs this year. Really something to keep an eye on as you watch the game.

I think most here would agree that our D backs will have their hands full with your littany of fast receivers.

That being said, I get tired of all the gator fans I talk to acting like OU hasn't played a team with a spread attack that includes a superstar reciever. the fact is, we HAVE seen spread attacks similar to what UF does this year, and for the most part have been able to make them one dimensional and slow them down enough to allow our offense the ability to outscore them.

What does bother me though is the veer option read that Tebow runs with Harvin; if OU goes to stacking the box looking for the draw, Tebow has the wheels to get far enough outside to pitch it to Harvin with space in front. I think if we do a good enough job of "discouraging" the run, that play won't be too much of a factor.

I think this idea that UF is soo incredibly fast and different than any other Big XII offense is a myth that will be debunked pretty early in the game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2008, 01:45 PM
biggest gotchas for OU this season
1) abandoning the run
2) getting greedy
3) drops

the first 2 are by the man in the booth. the last one is what worries me the most. if we start hearing footsteps we are in for a long night.

P3 Gator
12/31/2008, 01:46 PM
I think most here would agree that our D backs will have their hands full with your littany of fast receivers.

That being said, I get tired of all the gator fans I talk to acting like OU hasn't played a team with a spread attack that includes a superstar reciever. the fact is, we HAVE seen spread attacks similar to what UF does this year, and for the most part have been able to make them one dimensional and slow them down enough to allow our offense the ability to outscore them.

What does bother me though is the veer option read that Tebow runs with Harvin; if OU goes to stacking the box looking for the draw, Tebow has the wheels to get far enough outside to pitch it to Harvin with space in front. I think if we do a good enough job of "discouraging" the run, that play won't be too much of a factor.

I think this idea that UF is soo incredibly fast and different than any other Big XII offense is a myth that will be debunked pretty early in the game.

I intentionally tried to focus on the blocking aspect of what our receivers do. Enough has been made of speed. The downfield blocking has a lot to do with many of the long runs. Our backs are undersized (at least Rainey and Demps are) so they tend to get stuffed a lot. However, when they do find a crease, they tend to go a long way largely due to the efforts of the receiving corps. Like I said, it's something else to keep an eye on. I'll be watching to see what OU does in this respect too.

theresonly1OU
12/31/2008, 01:51 PM
I intentionally tried to focus on the blocking aspect of what our receivers do. Enough has been made of speed. The downfield blocking has a lot to do with many of the long runs. Our backs are undersized (at least Rainey and Demps are) so they tend to get stuffed a lot. However, when they do find a crease, they tend to go a long way largely due to the efforts of the receiving corps. Like I said, it's something else to keep an eye on. I'll be watching to see what OU does in this respect too.

I wasn't directing my post at you specifically, so if it came off that way I apoligize. I was merely using part of your arguement to make a point.

As for the blocking question, I think you have a valid point; that being said I feel a LOT more comfortable about our open field tackling abilities this year than in years past, and as I stated before, the spread offense is something our D has become somewhat familiar with this year, so hopefully (and I stress hopefully) breaking through downfield blocks to stuff the big play will be something our D continues to excel at.

Gatorcarson
12/31/2008, 08:56 PM
You are half right. Actually Joe Haden is outstanding in coverage at one corner and Jenkins is probably the best cover corner in UF history. BUT, our weakness is Major Wright at free safety. He is simply not good at all with the ball in the air. He likes to hit and he simply cant pick up the ball and make a play. He lets the guy catch it and then hits them. All season I have been very critical of our defensive coaches for having him at that position. He stuck out like a sore thumb against BAma and UGA.

What you saw against Bama was a blitz by Haden and Wright rotated over to cover Jones. He was in the right place, but again, with the ball in the air he simply does not make a play. If OU can isolate Wright in coverage they will have a field day.

I have a feeling one of our great freshman, Will Hill, will play a lot in passing downs. He has been getting alot of time lately. But bottom line is Wright is the biggest weakness (against the pass) on the UF team. IMO, he is the only obvious weakness for this entire team. I am still scratching my head why he is at that position instead of OLB or strong safety. He simply cant cover.

G8trGr8t
12/31/2008, 11:23 PM
Gatorcarson nailed it as far as the wekness in our secondary and what happened in the SEC and the Ole Miss game. Bad angles and reaction time cost UF a long td that never should have happened against Ole Miss.

Wright has some talent but is more suited to WLB. A lot of us expect Hill to replace him at safety in spring practice next year.

Who had the biggest, most physical dline that OU played this year?

LSUdeek
12/31/2008, 11:28 PM
Spikes and Wright are the keys back there. They are playing a bunch of nobodies on the DL including a freshman OL recruit in Matt Patchan. Haden was abused several times by Lafell in 1-on-1 coverage, so that's a weak spot as well.

OU needs to run the football 40 times and keep UF's offense off of the field in order to have a chance to win.

G8trGr8t
1/1/2009, 12:07 AM
Patchen is out. Has been since the second quarter of the Citadel game.

Those nobodies sure handed that all american line and rb's of yours their heads this year didn't they? Do I need to post the boxscores to remind you? Most are sophomores this year and Dunlap led the SEC in sacks.

LSU had an impressive 80 yards rushing that game. Wow, sure took advantage of those nobodies.

Your boy Lafell had 59 yards the whole game. That sure is lighting it up.

You lose. Eat another corndog.

AlbqSooner
1/1/2009, 09:11 AM
You lose. Eat another corndog.

HEY,HEY,HEY!
Corndogs are an integral part of the RRS. Lay off the corndog references if ya don't wanna get baned!:mad: