PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou Offense question..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/30/2008, 09:13 AM
I noticed last night that Chase Daniel was standing around 7 yards(one time I swear it was 8) behind the center in shotgun formations last night...while in comparison the Northwestern QB was about 4 yards behind center in the shotgun..

Has Missouri always had Daniel that far back? I noticed, especially on his last pick, that he was basically throwing a 17 yard pass to get a 10 yard completion..And his arm isn't that strong and might have contributed to the picks...

cheezyq
12/30/2008, 09:18 AM
The problem is that the MU spread needs to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly. For whatever reason, this season CD has been terrible about getting the ball out quickly. He hesitates when his first read isn't there, the pressure gets to him and then all heck breaks loose and he starts tossing picks. I haven't been paying attention to how he lines up, though.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2008, 09:30 AM
I thought Daniel was lined up deeper than normal too - but I've deleted my CCG from my Tivo, so I can't go back and check. I've never seen Daniel play so poorly. In the 1st half, I thought it was so obvious that MU needed to throw deeper to get the defense away from the LOS. Then in the 2nd half, they took a few shots and Daniel was off by at least 10 yards on all of them. On top of Daniel's performance, it didn't seem like MU really wanted to be at that game.

boomermagic
12/30/2008, 09:34 AM
I noticed last night that Chase Daniel was standing around 7 yards(one time I swear it was 8) behind the center in shotgun formations last night...while in comparison the Northwestern QB was about 4 yards behind center in the shotgun..

Has Missouri always had Daniel that far back? I noticed, especially on his last pick, that he was basically throwing a 17 yard pass to get a 10 yard completion..And his arm isn't that strong and might have contributed to the picks...

I noticed that as well.. Daniel had a bad game but then Mo. played their best against us.. I agree that Mo. didn't want to be there playing NW..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/30/2008, 09:34 AM
I thought Daniel was lined up deeper than normal too - but I've deleted my CCG from my Tivo, so I can't go back and check. I've never seen Daniel play so poorly. In the 1st half, I thought it was so obvious that MU needed to throw deeper to get the defense away from the LOS. Then in the 2nd half, they took a few shots and Daniel was off by at least 10 yards on all of them. On top of Daniel's performance, it didn't seem like MU really wanted to be at that game.

Yeah I had deleted mine also.....It just seems odd to have a QB who lacks serious arm strength standing that far back....

And I agree with the thought of them not wanting to be there..Daniel's family was the more excited than the players

deweydw
12/30/2008, 09:35 AM
On top of Daniel's performance, it didn't seem like MU really wanted to be at that game.

They never recovered their confidence after OUr beat down in the CCG. ;)

OUDoc
12/30/2008, 09:43 AM
I felt a little bad about rooting against them last night. I really dislike Chase.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/30/2008, 09:54 AM
The shot they kept showing of his sister made it easier at times tho

delhalew
12/30/2008, 10:06 AM
Weatherspoon wanted to be there. He was like a man possessed.

sooner518
12/30/2008, 10:17 AM
ive noticed that in the past. no idea why they do it. i seem to remember commentators saying that it allows him more time in the pocket to make his reads or something... im surprised they dont draw on the telestrator illustrating how far back he is like they do when Tech lines up with their "wide splits"

KsSooner
12/30/2008, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=stoops the eternal pimp;2544069]Yeah I had deleted mine also.....It just seems odd to have a QB who lacks serious arm strength standing that far back....

What are you talking about? The announcers said Daniels was the next Drew Brees, will be playing on Sundays! ;)

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2008, 10:22 AM
Weatherspoon wanted to be there. He was like a man possessed.

Yep, Weatherspoon showed up and the whole defense played about as I thought they could. On offense, only Coffman seemed to shine.

SoonerLB
12/30/2008, 10:23 AM
If Booger Boy is playing on Sundays in the future, it won't be football, and he will probably be with himself. Just sayin'..........

swardboy
12/30/2008, 10:32 AM
Daniel just wasn't 'on' last night. Several passes were off target. I'm certainly not in the business of making excuses for him, but something wasn't right. I too noticed the depth of his set....if that was a new wrinkle it could sure account for the bad markmanship and timing.

NYC Poke
12/30/2008, 10:33 AM
CD looked hesitant, confused, and ill prepared last night. He must have spent too much time hanging with Warren Buffet rather than preparing for the game. He looked horrible.

NormanPride
12/30/2008, 11:19 AM
They've talked about this before. It's kind of like the way Iowa lines up their RB 9 yards back to get a head of steam going. They put Chase back there because in the past he's been able to make a quick enough read of the D and get the ball away before the pass rush gets there. The idea is that if they rush 4-5, the line should handle it long enough for Chase to read the D. If they rush more, the distance between him and the line of scrimmage should give him enough time to find where the deficiency in the D is. They run almost no max-protect, and rely purely on numbers and pre-snap reads.

Northwestern was doing a pretty good job of disguising their coverages before the snap, which made Chase hesitate. Once Chase is out of his rhythm then everything falls apart. He starts throwing off balance, scrambling too early, making poor decisions, and forcing it into either Maclin or Coffman. I can't count the number of times he had plenty of time to step into the pocket and make a perfect throw to someone wide open, and instead chose to run around and force a bad throw to his TE or throw it away. For a spread O to be held under 200 yards passing until the final drive in the 4th is awful, and it's all on Chase. He played the worst game of his career, and it's most likely the last as well.

yermom
12/30/2008, 11:22 AM
it really seemed like they took a lot of shots downfield when they didn't need to. too many low percentage passes

they were pretty lucky to come out ahead there

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/30/2008, 11:53 AM
They keep him back so he can see over the lineman.

oupride
12/30/2008, 12:16 PM
Even the coach looked like he didn't want to be there.

Blitzkrieg
12/30/2008, 12:26 PM
Spread QBs get that far back to they can get rid of the ball. Huepel used to line up 7 yards then drop another 7 on every pass, even an untouched blitzer took enough time to get there that he could throw to the hot receiver.

The word "spread" was what the Tom Landry cowboys called the shotgun formation with staubach at QB.

yermom
12/30/2008, 12:27 PM
Even the coach looked like he didn't want to be there.

with all their pre-season hype... not so good

they were one game away from the Fiesta Bowl

man, their fans must hate us. i'm thinking like K-State after '98 hate here

cvsooner
12/30/2008, 12:48 PM
Not to make excuses for the guy, but Dave Matter's Behind the Stripes blog reported earlier this week something along the lines of "there must be something in San Antonio....last year before the Big 12 conference championship Daniel came down with the flu. This year it's happened before the bowl game." So...I suspect CD was a bit under the weather. He played like it, too.

JLEW1818
12/30/2008, 12:48 PM
Chase Daniel sucks and will not play in the NFL..... just had to get that out.

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/30/2008, 12:53 PM
The shot they kept showing of his sister made it easier at times tho

this thread is useless without pics ;)

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2008, 01:00 PM
Not to make excuses for the guy, but Dave Matter's Behind the Stripes blog reported earlier this week something along the lines of "there must be something in San Antonio....last year before the Big 12 conference championship Daniel came down with the flu. This year it's happened before the bowl game." So...I suspect CD was a bit under the weather. He played like it, too.

But those fajitas were so good last year, CD just had to go back for more :eek:

mehip
12/30/2008, 01:11 PM
One thing I noticed on some of the sideline shots early in the game was that even Maclin was pouting. When I've seen him in the past he usually seems like his head is really in the game. Just seeing the team's attitude on the sideline I am surprised they won.

Scott D
12/30/2008, 01:31 PM
They keep him back so he can see over the lineman.

end of discussion...the moral here is that being short sucks. ;)

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/30/2008, 04:40 PM
end of discussion...the moral here is that being short sucks. ;)

Sweet I ended a discussion. Someone give me my damn cookie.