PDA

View Full Version : Defense? Offense? No, it's special teams...

Jason White's Third Knee
12/29/2008, 02:04 PM
I don't care what these bone headed trolls from Fla (CCG excluded) say about their offenses and defenses. Our O is really ****ing good, period. Our D is a turnover machine, period.

I don't care about how much faster their 4.3 is than our 4.3. They use an atomic clock synced to a GPS system and we count one Mississippi two Mississippi. They are just that good.

I don't care that Tebow would be a linebacker on our team and wouldn't even sniff a qb position (he might sniff a qb though, freak) at OU. Of course Bradford would run scout team for Fla. He's all skinny and stuff... not to mention that he has had 5 surgeries on his knees and has been at OU for 8 years now. He's slow.

I am concerned about our ability to play special teams. That is huge when dealing with field position (something that I think Florida will be able to capitalize on) and quick scoring.

How does OU shore THAT up, when we stink at ST and they are all about ST?

JLEW1818
12/29/2008, 02:08 PM
Cant give up the big play....... Stoops will have had a month to get the special teams ready.

TahoeSOONER
12/29/2008, 02:08 PM
We all know that Special teams have been better for that other team all year long and that OU needs to tackle well in space on kickoff coverage. I'm planning on OU kicking off the ball a ton in this game.

Let's hope we tackle well.

BOOMER!

Crimsontothecore
12/29/2008, 02:12 PM
This has been my only concern from day one. If we kick to the corner and give UF starting field position at the 40 every time just because we can't cover a return then we'll be in deep s*** :O

MojoRisen
12/29/2008, 02:17 PM
Our kickers better kick the ball where it is supposed to go, our cover guys need to blow things up and contain...

As far as punting, I would be OK with kicking it out of bounds...

Tulsa_Fireman
12/29/2008, 02:18 PM
However, if we do like we did toward the end of the season and pinch the return game to the corners of the field, we're essentially removing half of the field, allowing the backside to crash early and pinching down lanes to hopefully clear up tacklers.

JLEW1818
12/29/2008, 02:21 PM
****, lets just take punting and kicking out of this game !!! New rule

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/29/2008, 02:31 PM
We have special teams???? Did they qualify for the Olympics??

Dan Thompson
12/29/2008, 02:43 PM
OU has kick-off 114 times this year.

After each passing TD (45)
After each rushing TD (49)
After each Field Goal (8)
And at the beginning of, either, the game, or the start of the 3rd quarter.

There has been 4 or 5 returns for TD's.

So 5/114 = 4.4%, so over 95% of the time OU's special stop the return.

catsigater
12/29/2008, 02:51 PM
OU has kick-off 114 times this year.

After each passing TD (45)
After each rushing TD (49)
After each Field Goal (8)
And at the beginning of, either, the game, or the start of the 3rd quarter.

There has been 4 or 5 returns for TD's.

So 5/114 = 4.4%, so over 95% of the time OU's special stop the return.

Methinks you need to also look at KO return yardage and how many scores were set up because of long returns. Short field opportunities will spell trouble.

yermom
12/29/2008, 02:59 PM
they've gotten a lot better in the last few games

Cappy
12/29/2008, 04:13 PM
They have gotten a little bit better, but teams are getting some good starting position of kicks. It hasn't bit us in the butt since our D has been pretty timely in either 4h down stops or TO's in the past couple games.

Dan Thompson
12/29/2008, 04:53 PM
I would think that OU has a record here in the most KO in one season.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/29/2008, 06:52 PM
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=892888

Maybe we should do like these boys and never punt. That's ballsy.

12/29/2008, 07:02 PM
I don't care what these bone headed trolls from Fla (CCG excluded) say about their offenses and defenses. Our O is really ****ing good, period. Our D is a turnover machine, period.

I don't care about how much faster their 4.3 is than our 4.3. They use an atomic clock synced to a GPS system and we count one Mississippi two Mississippi. They are just that good.

I don't care that Tebow would be a linebacker on our team and wouldn't even sniff a qb position (he might sniff a qb though, freak) at OU. Of course Bradford would run scout team for Fla. He's all skinny and stuff... not to mention that he has had 5 surgeries on his knees and has been at OU for 8 years now. He's slow.

I am concerned about our ability to play special teams. That is huge when dealing with field position (something that I think Florida will be able to capitalize on) and quick scoring.

Response to your post: http://gatorsandsooners.com/6.html

Jason White's Third Knee
12/29/2008, 07:18 PM
Response to your post: http://gatorsandsooners.com/6.html

This was the best place to post that?

I wish we had DeMarco, but does anyone thing that we aren't perfectly capable of scoring without him? I don't see it as much of an issue.

We have other guys out that no one even mentions and they are big time impact guys. DeMarcus Granger and Ryan Reynolds could be made out to be just as big of a deal.

The difference? Those guys don't score touchdowns and they don't hurdle people.

delhalew
12/29/2008, 08:19 PM
This is gonna be so sweet. This might just be as good 2000.

tbl
12/29/2008, 08:27 PM
Stoops will have had a month to get the special teams ready.

Dude... he had an entire offseason and a whole season of football to get ready, and it never happened... Just sayin... I totally agree that this is our biggest concern overall. Our D will be fine and our O WILL score points. Its those stinking ST plays that I'm terrified over.

ETGator1
12/29/2008, 09:20 PM

Reality finally rears its head on this board:

Coaching: Even
Offense: OU
Defense: UF
Special Teams: Huge Advantage UF
Turnover Margin: Even

Brandon James will be a big special teams key for UF. He'll also fill in for Percy Harvin IF he can't play or reinjures his ankle.

12/29/2008, 10:09 PM

This is gonna be so sweet. This might just be as good 2000.

Has it been that long? You guys must be starving for a title:)

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2008, 10:11 PM
*I will not make an AOL joke, I will not make an AOL joke, I will not make an AOL joke, I will not make an AOL joke...*

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2008, 10:12 PM
Has it been that long? You guys must be starving for a title

This kinda weak smack from a perrenial powerhouse of football with like 2 championships. wow....

12/29/2008, 10:23 PM
This was the best place to post that?

I wish we had DeMarco, but does anyone thing that we aren't perfectly capable of scoring without him? I don't see it as much of an issue.

We have other guys out that no one even mentions and they are big time impact guys. DeMarcus Granger and Ryan Reynolds could be made out to be just as big of a deal.

The difference? Those guys don't score touchdowns and they don't hurdle people.

Lets talk about the guys who will play in the game: http://gatorsandsooners.com/3.html

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2008, 10:28 PM
Even better...let's post the same weak azz humor links over and over until I puke on my keynoard.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/31/2008, 12:34 AM
Lets talk about the guys who will play in the game: http://gatorsandsooners.com/3.html

I can only surmise that you are posting your own website. My god that is some stupid ****. Some of the weakest pc/mac ripoff humor ever.

Just for the hell of it, I'll answer your (can I call it a) post. Tebow is great. We all know that. IF you think he is really better than Bradford, fine. I don't. Bradford is like Bernie Kosar with wheels. My apologies for bringing up Kosar.

I look forward to the game and I really think it will be a hell of a game... unless OU's special teams flakes.