PDA

View Full Version : OU = One of the top schools for any sport!

oupride
12/29/2008, 12:49 PM
Boomer!!! (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/122908aaa.html)

SHOW ME SUCCESS
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/122908aaa.html
The Oklahoma Sooners enter the new year as not only one of the top women's basketball programs in the country, but one of the top schools for any sport. Oklahoma is the only Division I institution with its football (No. 2), men's basketball (No. 4) and women's basketball (No. 5) programs ranked within the top five of each sport's respective AP Poll. OU's football team plays for the BCS National Championship on Jan. 8 while OU's men's basketball team is 12-0 for the first time since 1989-90.

SPuL
12/29/2008, 01:21 PM
True, but that only considers the major sports that gets the most news. and mainly this yr.

I saw a yr or two back, the top two sports schools with the most championships among ALL sports are Texas and Stanford. I forget who's 1 and who's 2, but they have the most.

Stanford I think shows off a lot more since they are considered one of the top 3 academic colleges in the NATION. So to have such high academic expectations and STILL field winning sports teams is amazing. Top 5 in academics and sports. That's something.

I might be a little bias tho because that is my fav college team for b-ball and everything else besides football and where I plan on getting my masters. :cool:

swardboy
12/29/2008, 01:26 PM
<pokie>"Yeah, but can ya rassle?"<pokie>

SPuL
12/29/2008, 01:32 PM
Here's the division 1 standings. Couldn't find OU :(

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 41
LSU: 40
Texas: 39
Michigan: 32
North Carolina: 32
Penn State: 32

SoonerAtKU
12/29/2008, 01:33 PM
I saw a yr or two back, the top two sports schools with the most championships among ALL sports are Texas and Stanford. I forget who's 1 and who's 2, but they have the most.

While this is impressive, a great number of those titles came from Swimming, Diving, and Track. Those sports give out an insane number of titles both group and individual. Not to mention, those are sports that not every school participates in, much like Wrestling or Men's Gymnastics. They still count, but...

G8trGr8t
12/29/2008, 01:44 PM
Stanford has been number 1 forever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director's_Cup

As other have said, a lot of those points come from swimming, diving, soccer, etc. but that speaks to the overall quality of the entire athletic program.

But only 1 school in the modern era (UF) had the men's football and basketball champions at the same time.

UNC, Michigan, Stanford, UCLA, UF and Texas are consistently in the top 5 year in and year out with a few others sneaking in on occasion.

SPuL
12/29/2008, 01:59 PM
While this is impressive, a great number of those titles came from Swimming, Diving, and Track. Those sports give out an insane number of titles both group and individual. Not to mention, those are sports that not every school participates in, much like Wrestling or Men's Gymnastics. They still count, but...

True, but as the other guy said it only speaks volumes on that universities athletic program. If every university had the amount of students interested and the budget for it, they'd make a team in all those sports too.

But I agree though, Stanford has like NO titles in the main sports for men. :(

Basketball- they had one. I think it was 1952 or something. LOL

Football- I don't think they had any

Then they got baseball, but college baseball isn't that big. But they do got a lot of women's titles.

Stanford has been number 1 forever.

As other have said, a lot of those points come from swimming, diving, soccer, etc. but that speaks to the overall quality of the entire athletic program.

But only 1 school in the modern era (UF) had the men's football and basketball champions at the same time.

UNC, Michigan, Stanford, UCLA, UF and Texas are consistently in the top 5 year in and year out with a few others sneaking in on occasion.

^yea, pretty much.

and the UF thing. LOL to think, if it went the other way it could have been Ohio St that yr.

SoonerTroll
12/29/2008, 02:01 PM
who cares about the other sports???

Paperclip
12/29/2008, 02:03 PM

1987-88. Sigh. :(

Jacie
12/29/2008, 08:25 PM
I don't care if it is badminton, to be crowned a champion in any sport is a singular honor that every other participant (in that sport) wishes were their achievement.

The last time I remember OU doing it was 1975.

Okay Sooner sports fans, what were the two sports?

Bonus Question: Name the athlete who participated in both sports . . .

yermom
12/29/2008, 09:04 PM
2000 Softball ;)

http://www.soonersports.com/trads/nat-championships.html

Dr. Death?

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 09:08 PM
Florida hasn't been in the top 5 in basketball for quite some time and Donovan put your weak *** school on the map. They suckin right now though.

southern sooner
12/29/2008, 10:53 PM
boys track and gymnastics are always pretty good as well..not just a football school but it is our bread and butter..

tommieharris91
12/30/2008, 02:13 AM
Here's the division 1 standings. Couldn't find OU :(

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 41
LSU: 40
Texas: 39
Michigan: 32
North Carolina: 32
Penn State: 32

I'm pretty sure OU will be entering 2009 with 25 overall national titles.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/30/2008, 02:32 AM
Would be nice if the baseball team can hold up its end of the bargain this spring.

Crucifax Autumn
12/30/2008, 02:34 AM
they left out tennis and tiddlywinks!

Exhibit A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners#Traditions)