PDA

View Full Version : Travis Lewis Interview on Rivals- Breathes Confidence!

MojoRisen
12/29/2008, 11:55 AM
This is a good indicator of Lewis' confidence. He is not overly impressed with Florida's speed. Also sounds like we are going to be aggressive on Dfense and try and be disruptive.

Let's talk about Florida. How much tape have you seen on the Gators?

Travis Lewis: A lot

It seems like anytime someone mentions Florida, the word "speed" isn't far behind. Are they as fast as advertised?

Lewis: They've got some pretty fast skill players. But I don't think it's anything we haven't seen in the Big 12.

Do you think players like Maclin or Crabtree are at the same level?

Lewis: Oh yeah. They're just as athletic and just as fast. They may not be used in the same way as a Percy Harvin is. Percy is in the back field a lot and they'll hand it to him on counters and run the option. Maclin isn't used like that. But in the end it's the same concept and speed.

You guys have faced multiple offenses with multiple identities. Is Florida in a whole other category?

Lewis: No. We have speed in the Big 12. We have great skill players and we have great quarterbacks. Florida will bring a spread offense and they're fast just like everybody in the Big 12, so we're going to prepare just like we have for everyone else.

Do they remind you of anyone you've played or maybe seen?

Lewis: They have a few weird formations in there that you don't see in the Big 12 but it's basically the same concepts.

You have seen a lot of zone reads throughout the year, but Florida's is a little different because Tebow and Percy like to run up together before making the final decision?

Lewis: Yea, that's their veer-read. Tim wants to ride it until the very last second before making the decision. Teams do that, you're right but not to that extent. I guess you see it sometimes with Texas.

Did you ever think the day would come when you would be facing a quarterback who was 20 pounds bigger than you?

Lewis: Whoa, whoa, whoa wait a minute, I'm 235 pounds.

Isn't he like 245 though?

Lewis: Well bring it, let's go (laughing). But no, I'm looking forward to the challenge. We've played some good quarterbacks in this league so…

One final note though, I think the roster has you at 220 pounds.

Lewis: It shouldn't. I came into this season at 240 pounds. Now I've lost a little bit of weight chasing after all these quarterbacks around the league, but I would like to think that I'm still a pretty big guy.

That being said, Tebow will be a challenge for you guys won't he?

Lewis: Yea. He's a pretty big guy, and an athletic quarterback. What you don't notice is how fast he is. He's pretty quick too, for the size he has. He has the ability to find those holes, and get in between those tackles.

If you put Robert Griffin from Baylor and Jarrod Freeman from Kansas State together, would you get Tim Tebow?

Lewis: (Laughs) Freeman was actually a pretty hard guy to take down. I haven't played against Tebow obviously but Freeman was the hardest quarterback to get down to the ground. But I'm looking forward to the challenge of playing against Tebow.

Keenan Clayton said that if he had to compare Tim Tebow to anyone it would be Jake Locker?

Lewis: That's a pretty good comparison. I mean he may be a little more stout than Jake Locker but running ability and throwing the ball…well I don't know if Locker was 100 percent when we played him, but the 2007 Jake Locker, the one who led the Pac 10 in rushing. That's pretty similar.

How do you guys plan on stopping him?

Lewis: We're going to play down hill, that's what we're going to do. We're going to try to take away that inside game. They're a great perimeter team, they have great speed and skill on the outside, but what you don't see is that they like to run between the tackles with the counter's and power's. So that's something that we're going to have to take away also.

What did you think of the comment that Tebow made about being excited to face a Big 12 defense?

Lewis: I have no comment about that comment. I love the fact that he's excited about playing a Big 12 defense.

SPuL
12/29/2008, 12:00 PM
What did you think of the comment that Tebow made about being excited to face a Big 12 defense?

Lewis: I have no comment about that comment. I love the fact that he's excited about playing a Big 12 defense.

^love that response. Good read.

The first half of this interview is probably the closest the Gators will get for bulletin board material.

yermom
12/29/2008, 12:17 PM
Lewis: It shouldn't. I came into this season at 240 pounds. Now I've lost a little bit of weight chasing after all these quarterbacks around the league, but I would like to think that I'm still a pretty big guy.

heh

NormanPride
12/29/2008, 12:18 PM
Smart interview. Gotta love the kid's public face here... Just a RS-Fr!

yermom
12/29/2008, 12:24 PM
i've been very impressed with him and Clayton this year

Collier11
12/29/2008, 12:26 PM
He is honest without being a blow-hard or a jackhole, most athletes cant figure out how to do that. Im glad to have him on our side

Boomer38Sooner
12/29/2008, 12:39 PM
BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!! Get him Travis!!!!

BigMoneySooner
12/29/2008, 01:04 PM
He is honest without being a blow-hard or a jackhole, most athletes cant figure out how to do that. Im glad to have him on our side

It just shows you what a classy manner Bob runs this program. The players speak so eloquently and never end up talking trash. They're just honest. You would never hear Florida players speaking like that.

TahoeSOONER
12/29/2008, 01:08 PM
Side line to side line Travis.....BOOMER!

Collier11
12/29/2008, 01:10 PM
Thats why I never understand it, even being a homer, why people bash Stoops...is he arrogant at times, yes, does he despise the media at times, yes, is he a hell of a guy, a high character guy, a guy who runs his program clean and when there are problems he takes care of them, YES!

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 02:57 PM
I'm not to worried about the OLB's but does anybody think that Balogun will get the start or will the play Harris up and move Lewis over or is Box gonna be 100%.

instigator
12/29/2008, 03:12 PM
It better be Box in the middle and not Balogun.

I have really been impressed by Travis Lewis every time he speaks. What a great face for your defense.

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 03:25 PM
85% Box or 100% Balogun

adoniijahsooner
12/29/2008, 03:28 PM
Real specific answers where it it obvious that these guys have been studying film and know what they are talking about. Not just general football statements like, "If we do what we have to do we will win". Florida is going to have to be prepared for a mental and physical game; are they up to it?

delhalew
12/29/2008, 03:31 PM
It better be Box in the middle and not Balogun.

I have really been impressed by Travis Lewis every time he speaks. What a great face for your defense.

Come on man go easy on the guy. I thought Balogun did pretty damn well considering what was asked him. I would imagine he would see some time to keep fresh legs out there.

instigator
12/29/2008, 04:00 PM
Come on man go easy on the guy. I thought Balogun did pretty damn well considering what was asked him. I would imagine he would see some time to keep fresh legs out there.

I'm not trying to bash him, but we need all the experience we can get and unfortunately that means we need our freshman MLB. :( I am sure Balogun will play some, but I don't want to see him be the main guy.

CK Sooner
12/29/2008, 04:06 PM
85% Box or 100% Balogun

Not true.

oupride
12/29/2008, 04:33 PM
Bring it.

delhalew
12/29/2008, 04:44 PM
I'm not trying to bash him, but we need all the experience we can get and unfortunately that means we need our freshman MLB. :( I am sure Balogun will play some, but I don't want to see him be the main guy.

Fair enough. I obviously wish we had Reynalds, but as much grief as our D gets, I'm proud of them for busting they're @sses when they had to.

KYSooner
12/29/2008, 05:02 PM
It just shows you what a classy manner Bob runs this program. The players speak so eloquently and never end up talking trash. They're just honest. You would never hear Florida players speaking like that.

I will kind of have to disagree with you on this one. For the majority, Florida's program is pretty clean. They may talk a big game, but they are not trash talking or putting others down. I have to say, although at the moment I don't like him, that I do respect Florida's program and the way Meyer runs it. But, Meyer is no Stoops, and Tebow is no Bradford...and we will see that here in a few weeks.

I think the reason they are getting a bad rap is their fans...and the other fans in the SEC that are suddenly huge Florida fans.

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 05:06 PM
Not true.
It was a question. My fault. If he were 85% is that better then Balogun at 100%?

Chiliman
12/29/2008, 05:40 PM
Good job Travis. BTW, a lot of the weights are wrong on the 'official' rosters. Box and Lewis are both heavier than listed. I hope Box is ready to go. As well as Reynolds was playing when he was injured, I don't know if he could have played the pass as well as Box has. Box's speed and smarts are needed for this game IMO.

CK Sooner
12/29/2008, 06:40 PM
It was a question. My fault. If he were 85% is that better then Balogun at 100%?

If he were 85% then I think Balogun would be the better choice.

MojoRisen
12/29/2008, 06:49 PM
I was talking to my brother - who had 7 surgeries total in his D1 career - he thinks if Box only had a scope on his miniscus he should have been back no more than 3 weeks...

What was the severity of his injury??

CK Sooner
12/29/2008, 06:57 PM
I was talking to my brother - who had 7 surgeries total in his D1 career - he thinks if Box only had a scope on his miniscus he should have been back no more than 3 weeks...

What was the severity of his injury??

He only sprained is knee....

?

MojoRisen
12/29/2008, 07:08 PM
Sprain or slight Tear? I hear they are the same thing... Still 3 weeks rest should do...

CK Sooner
12/29/2008, 08:49 PM
Sprain or slight Tear? I hear they are the same thing... Still 3 weeks rest should do...

I live in Enid and my parents know his parents.

They said he WILL play in the National Championship game and his knee feels almost 100%.

I don't live that far away from him either.

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 10:07 PM
Any guess at what Box really ways. He looks much bigger then 220.

jwlynn64
12/30/2008, 01:15 AM
Are you saying that he has perfected the "Way of the Box"? A perfect blend of martial arts and football defensive strategy? That sounds pretty cool. Bring it on.

Crucifax Autumn
12/30/2008, 02:43 AM
Are you saying that he has perfected the "Way of the Box"?

I don't know about him, but I have certainly studied and perfected the way of the box!

Collier11
12/30/2008, 10:48 AM
I don't know about him, but I have certainly studied and perfected the way of the box!

Having a doctor pull you out of one doesnt exactly mean youve perfected it :D

A-M
12/30/2008, 12:28 PM

They said he WILL play in the National Championship game and his knee feels almost 100%.

I hope you know of what you speak. If true, this will really help out our D. I have really liked how Box has come around and has been playing. We need him to be as he was in the TT game!

A-M
12/30/2008, 12:29 PM

I hope you know of which you speak. If true, this will really help out our D. I have really liked how Box has come around and has been playing. We need him to be as he was in the TT game!

SoonerTroll
12/30/2008, 12:47 PM
Im soooo excited!!

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/8/8/2/hillary_excited.jpg

Collier11
12/30/2008, 01:24 PM
I thought Box had the same injury as English, if so he should def be back