PDA

View Full Version : As a fan, after the first title does the hunger go away?

SPuL
12/29/2008, 11:55 AM
I can't speak from experience. But I know a handful of you witnessed atleast the 2000 title, and some probably even further back.

Unfortunately I only became a fan of OU for the season following Miami's win. I believe the 2002 season?

Anyways, approaching this game, I'm just really impatient, and just can't wait to get game on the road. And got a real hunger to see that first championship for any of my teams. (all my teams have had similar experiences to OU's during that year that shall not be named).

So I'm wondering after you guys witnessed your first championship from a team you supported (any sport). Did the same hunger you had for the first one last throughout? I'm sure there was still the passion, but if the team lost was it easier to take?

Just something I've wondered about yet haven't experienced yet. ~_~

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2008, 12:03 PM
nope...losing doesn't get easier and the hunger for more goes on.

yermom
12/29/2008, 12:14 PM
hunger?

try watching us lose two in person :eek:

2000 got us all spoiled again

Aries
12/29/2008, 12:16 PM

What he said... it's such a thrill to win a championship, if you're not playing for it the next year you're disappointed... and can't wait for another one.

BigHouseDon
12/29/2008, 12:16 PM

I couldn't agree more.

BHD

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2008, 12:19 PM
I tend to accept the cycles of CFB a bit more than what I interpret from others. I actually enjoy watching a rebuilding year if I see young talent being brought along properly (I thought '05 was an excellent rebuilding year). My desire for winning it all does grow as time since the last one passes. The '90's were depressing without even rebuilding years that led to anything (until '99).

Dan Thompson
12/29/2008, 12:19 PM
Like Barry said, YOU GOTA FEED THE MONSTER.

Collier11
12/29/2008, 12:20 PM
Try driving all the way to zona to see us get whupped by wvu or driving all the way to new orleans to see us lay an egg in the natl title game and still almost win. The losses are always hard, the wins are always great. Winning the big games cures all but I gaurantee you even if we win #8 next week, if we go out and lose a game next year at any point in time, it will suck!

Being realistic will help ease the pain at times though, 05' sucked but it made the Holiday Bowl victory very satisfying to see how much better we got thru the year.

Seeing dipsh*t mature thru the year and lead us to I think 3 game winning 4th quarter drives the 2nd half of the season was cool to see compared to how he started out his career going 2-3

frankensooner
12/29/2008, 12:24 PM
It is kinda like chinese food, you feel great when you finish, but then an hour later, you want some more.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/29/2008, 12:25 PM
My desire for winning it all does grow as time since the last one passes.For me, the definitive comment. You don't expect, or even hope to win it all the time, but after 8 yrs have passed, you want it a lot. It would be very nice to overtake the domer in # of titles. Having the most titles of all the teams is the title we want.

yermom
12/29/2008, 12:30 PM
yep, part of why i didn't mind Texas getting another one over USC

Texas is way behind :D

OKLA21FAN
12/29/2008, 12:34 PM
all i know is that monster that Switzer referred to is getting hungry

FEED HIM....FEED HIM SOON! :pop:

LRoss
12/29/2008, 12:38 PM
No.

TahoeSOONER
12/29/2008, 12:58 PM
Oklahoma fans are great just based on the simple fact that have so much tradition and history. You'll see programs that are on the rise with big time fan bases, much like the SECs LSU and Florida, that really at times don't know how to act like they've won a big ball game before. I remember nearly getting into fight going into and coming out of the LSU game. Florida State fans have seen some big games so they were very respectful before and after the game. W.V. fans stayed classy and their blue collar type of personlity reminded me of our program. I've seen all the BCS games this decade except the Boise game live and OU fans treat other programs with respect and attitude that you'd be proud of. A program that has hardware and tradition but not the pompus attitude. OUr fans will have a beer with most and can talk about the game with any fan base. It's funny to see the opposite and it really makes you that much more proud to love the Sooners.

The hunger always is strong but remember our Championship foundation helps us deal with the ups and downs of the game. Barry said it's tough to win half the Championships games, which means were due!

BOOMER!

walkoffsooner
12/29/2008, 01:03 PM
The monster will never leave. During a bad season it sets there and gets hungry almost starving. But after a good feed it feels content for a year maybe two but like a cancer it comes back 10 fold. The monster will never leave unless there is no hope for a good feed. Have never seen monster in Stillwater. No food = No monster

Collier11
12/29/2008, 01:09 PM
The big diff with stillawater is this, there is no food cus the monster wont eat sh*t!

SPuL
12/29/2008, 01:17 PM
True, good stuff.

I just hope I can finally witness one this yr. I've seen countless choke jobs, and hopefully this yrs Sooners team can put that all behind me. :D

cheezyq
12/29/2008, 01:20 PM
No. Feed the monster!

A Sooner in Texas
12/29/2008, 01:21 PM
Having seen the championships in the 70s, 85 and 2000, I can say honestly that the hunger only grows stronger and will never be appeased.

SPuL
12/29/2008, 01:25 PM
Good to know. But it's hard to believe it could be better than the first? I mean you spend countless years wanting it, then you finally taste it for the first time. So I mean sure the next ones will be just as good, but it'd be hard to see it getting better since it would also have a "Been there, done that" feel to it.

but I wouldn't know ~_~

Partial Qualifier
12/29/2008, 01:37 PM
I can't speak from experience. But I know a handful of you witnessed atleast the 2000 title, and some probably even further back.

Unfortunately I only became a fan of OU for the season following Miami's win. I believe the 2002 season?

Welcome to... the Sooner Nation? no. Soonerdom? erm...

WELCOME ABOARD THE SCHOONER! :D

Partial Qualifier
12/29/2008, 01:44 PM
They're all different. The 2000 MNC was so special, it'd be hard to top that one based on the sheer joy of it all. But the MNC's are spaced out enough that each one is big-time. There's no lingering "been there, done that" feelings.

I hope you get to experience it soon, SPuL :D

okiedokie
12/29/2008, 02:04 PM
every year is a new year so the ecitment starts all over again!! BOOMER SOONER!!:) :)

SPuL
12/29/2008, 02:05 PM
Welcome to... the Sooner Nation? no. Soonerdom? erm...

WELCOME ABOARD THE SCHOONER! :D

Thanks man. This is the 7th season I've experienced, and I got on that "Bleeding crimson and cream" stage after the second. I'll never forget the 2 months of depression that followed both the 2003 and that other, you know.. but seen many great moments and players as well.

They're all different. The 2000 MNC was so special, it'd be hard to top that one based on the sheer joy of it all. But the MNC's are spaced out enough that each one is big-time. There's no lingering "been there, done that" feelings.

I hope you get to experience it soon, SPuL :D

I hope so too man. For other sports I support Jaguars (NFL), Kings (NBA), Mariners (MLB) and Stanford (NCAAB). It's been tough being a fan of all those teams. Hopefully Oklahoma can be the first to breakthrough for me! LOL :cool:

Collier11
12/29/2008, 02:11 PM
you are all over the board with your teams, atleast I am regional

Sooners
Chiefs
STL Cards
Thunder

A Sooner in Texas
12/29/2008, 02:12 PM
Good to know. But it's hard to believe it could be better than the first? I mean you spend countless years wanting it, then you finally taste it for the first time. So I mean sure the next ones will be just as good, but it'd be hard to see it getting better since it would also have a "Been there, done that" feel to it.

but I wouldn't know ~_~

They are all wonderful. I've never had that "been there, done that" feeling. The 2000 NC was incredible because of where we'd been before Bob came on board. We've been so close several times this decade since 2000 that winning Jan. 8 may just be the sweetest one for me.
Until the next one. :D

SPuL
12/29/2008, 02:27 PM
you are all over the board with your teams, atleast I am regional

Sooners
Chiefs
STL Cards
Thunder

haha I know man. But I moved a ton growing up. Started liking sports in Vermont. and HELL NO would I choose to support the New England teams. Pats? Celtics? Red Sox? Bruins? I hate them all. Unfortunately I live in Boston and witness a parade every yr. Sucks lol

They are all wonderful. I've never had that "been there, done that" feeling. The 2000 NC was incredible because of where we'd been before Bob came on board. We've been so close several times this decade since 2000 that winning Jan. 8 may just be the sweetest one for me.
Until the next one. :D

Exactly man. The being close but no cigar, only makes the hunger more. I don't know how it could be exciting during a dynasty. Like say if you won 4 in a row. Sure it'd be fun. But I mean it'd be almost like you EXPECT a championship, anything else would be a failure.

Where as this yr, sure we wanted a OU title this yr. But it wasn't EXPECTED I don't think. IT was the goal, not an expectation. I'm sure had we won the big 12, and say if Bama and PSU went undefeated. If we won the fiesta bowl against a quality opponent this yr would have been deemed a success.

but yea, I'm ranting now. I'll just end it with a BOOMER

JLEW1818
12/29/2008, 02:31 PM
Stoops is greedy, I'm greedy, most sooner fans are greedy, once you start you can’t stop.

birddog
12/29/2008, 02:44 PM

Just something I've wondered about yet haven't experienced yet. ~_~

are you just really young, or did you adopt the Sooners as your team?

SPuL
12/29/2008, 02:51 PM
I'm 20 right now. Only got into the NFL in '99-00. Only decided to get into college football in '02.

My dad grew up in another country, so he had no american sports experience, and never really had any interest in the major american sports. All I remember watching with him growing up was tennis and golf. I still watch those sports, but I've grown to love football and basketball more.

But so reason i picked up on the sports later was because I had to discover them by myself. if that makes sense

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2008, 02:55 PM
I was a freshman at OU in '74 when OU won the AP poll during probation. There did seem to be a little "been there, done that" feeling in '75. There was great joy getting off probation and going to the orange bowl again, but not quite the same hunger. Just my impression. I also thought the team had less intensity in '75. It was a senior laden team that had dominated for 3 years and I swear they were lethargic. They were heads above other teams, but it took a smack in the mouth from KU followed by a near loss at Mizzou to wake them up. Even then, they came in a little flat against Michigan in the orange bowl.

Collier11
12/29/2008, 03:18 PM
I'm 20 right now. Only got into the NFL in '99-00. Only decided to get into college football in '02.

My dad grew up in another country, so he had no american sports experience, and never really had any interest in the major american sports. All I remember watching with him growing up was tennis and golf. I still watch those sports, but I've grown to love football and basketball more.

But so reason i picked up on the sports later was because I had to discover them by myself. if that makes sense

Do yourself a favor, pick a date next year, any date. On that particular date book plane tickets and buy a ticket to that weekends game(if youve never been before), come to Norman, watch OU live, experience the tailgating, the homefield crowd, etc...you will want to be here for all games soon thereafter

SPuL
12/29/2008, 03:31 PM
Do yourself a favor, pick a date next year, any date. On that particular date book plane tickets and buy a ticket to that weekends game(if youve never been before), come to Norman, watch OU live, experience the tailgating, the homefield crowd, etc...you will want to be here for all games soon thereafter

Yea, man. Tell you the truth I was THIS close to coming down for the Texas Tech game this year. I'm so pissed I didn't. Just from watching it on TV the atmosphere looked amazing so I can only imagine how it would have been first person.

But then I didn't exactly have enough skymiles to cover the flight completely. But then stuff like hotels, etc. I didn't want to go there alone and none of my friends wanted to come down unless I paid their half. I would have been lost there dude.

But hell yea, next year I am DEFINITELY going to the Red River Rivalry (if Sam stays). If he leaves, then I'll go to a home game that looks like it'll be an intense match-up. Maybe the Bedlam game?

It'll be awesome I'm sure. I'm actually even considering transferring to Oklahoma for my junior year next year. I know I got the grades, but i don't know how transferring during my junior year would look on my transcript when applying to graduate schools. So still shaky.

Collier11
12/29/2008, 04:10 PM
If you want to transfer do it, dont do it just for the football though. I dont think schools or jobs really care too much if you transfer, I started at UCO, went to OU, back to UCO(for a girl), then back to OU before I got my degree. I havent had any issues getting hired.

Hotels in Norman are fairly cheap, many of us would guide you around or atleast tell you where to go if you wanted to come down, Hell you could tailgate with most of us.

SPuL
12/29/2008, 05:51 PM
sounds like a plan, I'll definitely do that then.

But yea, not only for football, but Oklahoma is a top 100 university. I think it was 92 or 96 in the last rankings. So it's a good education, better than where I am right now, and it has my favorite football team. Plus, they have a major in journalism which my university doesn't.

But if it was ONLY about that I'd have no problem. But then you tie in my family here, then my friends here, and friends from this college, then it makes it a much difficult decision. lol

Plus, i hear weather goes up to 130 during summers? LOL I'd die. I would be glad to get out of this new england weather tho. That's for sure

guzziguy
12/29/2008, 06:42 PM
Born in 1950. I've seen a few Sooner titles. Loved them all! How many is enough? All of them.

olevetonahill
12/29/2008, 07:19 PM

but I wouldn't know ~_~

Its Like Making Love , You get that 1st piece , You wanta just keep ****ing

SouthFortySooner
12/29/2008, 07:22 PM
They are special because of their rarity. They are rare because of the difficulty. They are difficult because of the evolution of the player base.

And then there is "the way the ball bounces". Ask Blake Gideon about that one. :D

SPuL
12/29/2008, 07:53 PM
Its Like Making Love , You get that 1st piece , You wanta just keep ****ing

LOL good call. But then again can the rest live up to the feeling the first time?

olevetonahill
12/29/2008, 07:58 PM
LOL good call. But then again can the rest live up to the feeling the first time?

It just gets better

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2008, 08:36 PM
It's like that Stephen King story "The Mangler". Once the machine gets its first taste of blood it wants more and becomes singular in its desire to get it.

tbl
12/29/2008, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure what has been said in this thread, but the answer that is absolutely not possible. If you're a fan of a regular program, maybe... but we're Sooners. We already have 7 and it is a guarantee that we will continue to win championships throughout the decades. Hopefully we'll get number 8 in a week... but that won't be enough for my lifetime. At 30 years old, I fully anticipate at least 5-7 more in my lifetime... and the great thing is the odds are VERY good that I will not be let down.

It's great to be a Sooner...

SPuL
12/29/2008, 11:01 PM
LOL @ the mangler reference. The movie was god awful. A killer steamer and a haunted fridge? really??

A Sooner in Texas
12/29/2008, 11:09 PM
sounds like a plan, I'll definitely do that then.

But yea, not only for football, but Oklahoma is a top 100 university. I think it was 92 or 96 in the last rankings. So it's a good education, better than where I am right now, and it has my favorite football team. Plus, they have a major in journalism which my university doesn't.

But if it was ONLY about that I'd have no problem. But then you tie in my family here, then my friends here, and friends from this college, then it makes it a much difficult decision. lol

Plus, i hear weather goes up to 130 during summers? LOL I'd die. I would be glad to get out of this new england weather tho. That's for sure

OU has a pretty decent J school...if that's what you get your degree in you could get your master's at Missouri, which has one of the best - unlike their football team. :D
Good luck, and hope you get to visit the best college football venue at least once.

SPuL
12/29/2008, 11:37 PM
^I hope too man.

Right now I'm majoring in english. And most probably I'm going to finish out in it, because if I tried to switch to Journalism NOW, i'd only have two years to make up those journalism requirements. So might as well finish off.

I'm doing a co-op at Boston Globe for my fall semester and I write sports for my college paper. (Unfortunately all our teams BLOW. and we're division 3. B-ball was 2-21 last yr. 2-7 this yr so far) I covered women's soccer and women's volleyball for obvious reasons. :cool:

But yea, I'm looking at either Stanford, Columbia, or Harvard for masters man. Stanford's has been my dream school since I was little, but I slacked off in high school badly with music and stuff. So now I've been just focusing like crazy in college and hopefully I can get a good GRE score and could make one of the top schools.

But yea, I plan on going to OU-Texas next yr, and then a Oklahoma home game.

Crucifax Autumn
12/30/2008, 01:23 AM
LOL @ the mangler reference. The movie was god awful. A killer steamer and a haunted fridge? really??

Yep, that movie sucked like the child of a whorn and a sheephumper, but the story was better and the reference was more than fitting in the context of this thread.

But yeah, the 2 sequels were even worse...

ouwasp
12/30/2008, 01:43 AM
I think fluke mncs (BYU '84) satisfy the receiving fanbases forever. Oregon fans for instance would probably sell souls to get a whiff. ostate fans might do the same for a South Division title...

But when a program reaches "monster" status, you always want more and more.

I was at the '86 Orange Bowl against JoePa...never dreamed I'd be close to 40 when the Sooners got another nc. After 2000, once again I figured they'd be more common...but they are just so darn hard to get. I think most folks now realize just how rare they are.

Now I just hope my Dad and Father-in-law, both in their 70s and have survived heart attacks in the last 6 months...get to witness a champion one more time.

At least. :) There I go again.....

FirstandGoal
12/30/2008, 02:01 AM
Just curious SPuL, of all the college teams out there, what was it about our Sooners that first drew you in? I am curious because just like the song, I was born into this fanbase and can't remember a time when I wasn't a Sooner.

Oh, and to answer your question, I have personally been alive for 4 of our 7 (born in '68), but the first one I really remember was in '85 when I was a senior in high school. I was lucky enough to get my degree from OU where I went to school from '86 to '91, and then had to endure the wretched 90's.

I tell you what others who are about my age have already said--- the 2000 one was pure, unadulterated joy because after remembering the 70's and 80's and then watching OUr great storied program almost get destroyed only to rise out of the ashes phoenix-like with Stoops at the helm is a roller coaster ride that nobody can understand unless they lived it.

That being said, to come so close so many times in the last 7 years and not get the crystal.... well, I think 2008 would be pretty sweet as well.

Crucifax Autumn
12/30/2008, 02:09 AM
Oh, and to answer your question, I have personally been alive for 4 of our 7 (born in '68), but the first one I really remember was in '85 when I was a senior in high school. I was lucky enough to get my degree from OU where I went to school from '86 to '91, and then had to endure the wretched 90's.

We're arounf the same age, but I remember seeing those old games and also staring in awe at my uncle and my stepdad's commemorative dr pepper bottles and the outrageuos scores listed on them. the 74 and 75 were both still sitting, unopened on our bookshelf when I watched us win it in 85. It was no less special and no less wanted for remembering the last 2 and after the long drought 2000 was just as sweet again.

I'm just glad that I've seen so friggin many bowl games that were for the MNC, win or lose. No one else is OU, and no one else has been there as much or as consistently and I'm glad I was born in Norman and born a Sooner.

SPuL
12/30/2008, 08:53 AM
Yep, that movie sucked like the child of a whorn and a sheephumper, but the story was better and the reference was more than fitting in the context of this thread.

But yeah, the 2 sequels were even worse...
lol true true true. just brought back some unwanted memories, is all.

Just curious SPuL, of all the college teams out there, what was it about our Sooners that first drew you in? I am curious because just like the song, I was born into this fanbase and can't remember a time when I wasn't a Sooner.

I tell you what others who are about my age have already said--- the 2000 one was pure, unadulterated joy because after remembering the 70's and 80's and then watching OUr great storied program almost get destroyed only to rise out of the ashes phoenix-like with Stoops at the helm is a roller coaster ride that nobody can understand unless they lived it.

That being said, to come so close so many times in the last 7 years and not get the crystal.... well, I think 2008 would be pretty sweet as well.

Well, man. Tell you truth, when I decided I wanted to get into college football I had no clue who to watch. (I lived in CT at the time, so college football wasn't too big around there). So I remember grabbing an SI for Kids and it had a preseason ranking. I believe it went like 1. Miami 2. Texas 3. Oklahoma 4. Florida. My bro decided he'd follow Miami (now Texas, since when we played NCAA Football 2003-2009. He'd always be Texas so we could face one time every yr and then he grew to like them). My other bro picked Florida and I chose Oklahoma.

I didn't know how else really. So I just watched as many of their games. I believe the first game I really watched from beginning to the end was the 2002 Texas-Oklahoma game. OU won 35-24 I think. And just the fans, and the atmosphere really drew me into not only OU but college football. Then I remember watching the Rose Bowl that yr where we killed Washington st.

But I mean I didn't really feel attached to OU till the next year. I think that was the year we made run to title game to lose to LSU. But every victory was sweet. And the two losses left me depressed for a good 2-3 months.

Ever since then I've bled crimson and cream. :cool: