PDA

View Full Version : Hey Gators

My Opinion Matters
12/29/2008, 11:50 AM
How's your downfield passing game? Admittedly, I haven't watched Florida play often this year, but when I have it didn't seem like Tebow throws a lot of deep balls. Do you run mostly short and intermediate routes?

DCGator
12/29/2008, 12:06 PM
How's your downfield passing game? Admittedly, I haven't watched Florida play often this year, but when I have it didn't seem like Tebow throws a lot of deep balls. Do you run mostly short and intermediate routes?

We run a lot of short routes, pitches, flairs and screens. We do stretch the field periodically to spread the D vertically as well as horizontally. Actually, Tebow can be very accurate on the long ball on most days, more so than the intermediate routes. Tebow tends to throw the intermediate routes low.

I think he has been coached that way to avoid the turnover, by overthrowing to the safety. With the long ball he is, of course, throwing over the coverage so its better to overthrow the go routes.

G8trGr8t
12/29/2008, 01:38 PM
It is good when Meyer will actually go to it. With the new clock rules, Meyer seemed to put more value on each possession and then reduced the number of downfield shots we took.

Tebow is pretty accurate with the long throws. Riley Cooper and Percy Harvin seem to get the most opportunities but most teams have played their safeties deep to prevent the big play and we check down to shorter passes and runs. Given the opportunity, the downfield game can be very explosive.

Iam4OUru
12/29/2008, 01:45 PM
Given the opportunity, the downfield game can be very explosive.

Yep, it sure can......;)

JLEW1818
12/29/2008, 01:47 PM
FAST FAST FAST, SPEED SPEED SPEED, FLORIDA FLORIDA FLORIDA
SEC SEC SEC

o0Dan0o
12/29/2008, 01:47 PM
Well, with Florida's overwhelming speed, Tebow can just lob the ball up in the air and then run down field to catch it for a TD, works about 99.99% of the time, the other 0.01% of the time Tebow outruns his own throw...

MojoRisen
12/29/2008, 02:27 PM
From what I have seen they definitely take a few shots downfield. We need to make sure those few shots are covered or better yet Oskie...

They hit Bama on two big ones - other than that Bama was slowing them down a lot.

Thin White Duke
12/29/2008, 03:08 PM
The only game where we used it as an integral part of the game plan was against Alabama. Our bread and butter is the short and intermdiate stuff. I'm worried about this game becasue I think Oklahoma's D has the psychological advantage over Florida's O. I think our D is probably sick of hearing how great OU's D is and I'm sure that OU's offense is sick of hearing about how great our defense is. I think that is a push. However, there is a general disregard for Oklahoma's defense which I think is unjust. What has struck me about this year is how intense the SEC defenses are and how crisp the Big 12's offenses are. It makes me wonder how much is playing up to or down to expectations. Oklahoma's defense obviously has great athletes but they sometimes see uninspired and I wonder if it is becasue in the back of their minds they know their offense can outscore people so they do not always bring their "A" game. My fear is that they will certainly be inspired for this game and we will get the best they have to offer. If our offense is equally prepared then we should have a great game but if they are caught up in thinking that Oklahoma is unable to play D then we may have a serious problem. I think Meyer is too good of a coach to let that happen but once a notion gets into kids head it doesn't matter what anyone does or says to convince them otherwise.

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 03:28 PM
I think too much **** has been talked to this point and when people keep talking that way then it's either because they're scared or overly confident, either way it works out for OU.

My Opinion Matters
12/29/2008, 03:37 PM
Here's the reason I ask-I think Dominique Franks and Brian Jackson are good enough to cover your receivers on deep routes without safety help. Everyone knows that intermediate passing routes over the middle of the field are kryptonite to this defense. I think we'll see the safeties and possibly a nickelback committed closer to the LOS to help nullify this. This also serves the added advantage of more defenders in the box to slow down Tebow and the inside run game. The flipside of this, of course, is that if there's missed tackles or blown assignments at the second level there's no one deep to stop you from scoring 6.

delhalew
12/29/2008, 03:38 PM
What i've seen when Tebow throws deep? If there was a decent safety back there I-N-T.

Thin White Duke
12/29/2008, 04:03 PM
Do you all play a lot of press man to man or do you give more of a cushion? Alabama was aggresively trying to jam us at the line and they were jumping routes. We had success on double moves and that of course depends on the QB getting enough time to let the route develop. Alabama made it a point to make us beat them over the top. My fear going in to that game is that we wouldn't take our shots downfield but we did and fortunately were able to convert. I hate relying on the deep ball becasue it is such a low percentage play. How do you see Oklahoma game planning? Will they stuff the box and make us throw, blitz heavy or more of a conservative bend but don't break?

DCGator
12/29/2008, 04:06 PM
What i've seen when Tebow throws deep? If there was a decent safety back there I-N-T.

Perhaps it's time for new glasses, seeing as how Tebow has only been picked 2 times this year, and neither time by a safety.

That is also a bit insulting to Rashad Johnson, Bama, Emanual Cook of USCe, Curtis Taylor, LSU who are all NFL bound.

delhalew
12/29/2008, 04:28 PM
Perhaps it's time for new glasses, seeing as how Tebow has only been picked 2 times this year, and neither time by a safety.

That is also a bit insulting to Rashad Johnson, Bama, Emanual Cook of USCe, Curtis Taylor, LSU who are all NFL bound.

Thats because Tebows passes bounce out of the defenders hands into the hands of Percy or the likes.

So yes, I most definitly insulting the LSU secondary in particular. Bama did ok half of the time. I could jump those routes, and I'm a fattass, cigarette smoking drunk.

P3 Gator
12/29/2008, 05:58 PM
Here are a couple of videos. There are enough balls going downfield.

Highlights (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/2008-Highlights-Tim-Tebow-42385)

SECCG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0RWzlH3Flo)

Good couple throws in this game. One in particular at the 2:45 mark. Tebow is under-rated as a passer. Lee Corso flat came out and said Tebow couldn't throw the ball before his Heisman year.

Tebow was also the all-time career leader in pass yards for Florida high school QBs before our back-up QB, John Brantley came around.

Bradford avgs 10.1/attempt
Tebow avgs 9.38/attempt

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 06:09 PM
Here are a couple of videos. There are enough balls going downfield.

Highlights (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/2008-Highlights-Tim-Tebow-42385)

SECCG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0RWzlH3Flo)

Good couple throws in this game. One in particular at the 2:45 mark. Tebow is under-rated as a passer. Lee Corso flat came out and said Tebow couldn't throw the ball before his Heisman year.

Tebow was also the all-time career leader in pass yards for Florida high school QBs before our back-up QB, John Brantley came around.

Bradford avgs 10.1/attempt
Tebow avgs 9.38/attempt
Brock Berlin was also a record setting QB and look at what he accomplished. High school stats don't mean jack.

Thin White Duke
12/29/2008, 06:54 PM
Man I hate when a good thread gets wasted. The starter of this thread had a legitimate question and instead of discussing strategy people start spewing rhetoric. I for one, like to come to a rival's board, especially out of conference teams, to get a take on what they think their team does well and not so well, and then discuss what strategies the coaches may employ. Unfortunately it is tough to do that on ALL message boards.

P3 Gator
12/29/2008, 06:56 PM
Brock Berlin was also a record setting QB and look at what he accomplished. High school stats don't mean jack.

Not to disagree, but they do mean something or I guess you'd just recruit everyone and hope someone happened to be good. By your logic, there'd be no reason to even keep high school stats. What makes college or pro stats mean anything? Emmitt was the all time leading Florida HS running back coming out of Escambia High in P'cola. Now why was everyone trying so darned hard to recruit him??

MojoRisen
12/29/2008, 07:03 PM
I think Tebow is accurrate on deep balls, however his wind up is slow and he often pump fakes for the double moves.

He had a world of time to get the ball out there.

I think Tebow would be in trouble if he were forced to make consistant throws over 20 yards with pressure...

delhalew
12/29/2008, 07:06 PM
Man I hate when a good thread gets wasted. The starter of this thread had a legitimate question and instead of discussing strategy people start spewing rhetoric. I for one, like to come to a rival's board, especially out of conference teams, to get a take on what they think their team does well and not so well, and then discuss what strategies the coaches may employ. Unfortunately it is tough to do that on ALL message boards.

Sorry about that , but

1. I'm serious. Our DB's are aggresive. Thats what they will do if Tebow goes for the deep pass. Maybe we give up a long play, or maybe take the ball. Or maybe we just bat it down. My point is Tebows passes are not of the variety that makes hard for a skilled safety to get a hand on it.

2. Those who came before have been here awhile. The are starting to wear out their welcome. By and large, I enjoy yall being here. As you said its the rhetoric that gets to be too much.

P3 Gator
12/29/2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry about that , but

1. I'm serious. Our DB's are aggresive. Thats what they will do if Tebow goes for the deep pass. Maybe we give up a long play, or maybe take the ball. Or maybe we just bat it down. My point is Tebows passes are not of the variety that makes hard for a skilled safety to get a hand on it.

2. Those who came before have been here awhile. The are starting to wear out there welcome. By and large, I enjoy yall being here. As you said its the rhetoric that gets to be too much.

So, you guys are the only team with aggressive DB's that Tebow has faced in the past two years?? That argument just doesn't hold water. Folks just don't get it. Florida all-time high school passing leader; 2007 Heisman Trophy winner;

2007 -32 TDs / 6 ints - 172.5 rating
2008 - 28 TDs / 2 ints - 176.7 rating

If his passes are so easy to break up / intercept / knock down with bird shot, tell me why they just aren't getting knocked down / intercepted / shot down? I really like the fact that you guys think that he's just not that good. I guarantee your coaching staff is more worried than you guys seem to be.

Serious question; what facts would you have to be hit over the head with before you believe the guy can throw the ball accurately and effectively. You seem to have a very large blind spot where this is concerned.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/29/2008, 07:43 PM
So, you guys are the only team with aggressive DB's that Tebow has faced in the past two years?? That argument just doesn't hold water. Folks just don't get it. Florida all-time high school passing leader; 2007 Heisman Trophy winner;

If his passes are so easy to break up / intercept / knock down with bird shot, tell me why they just aren't getting knocked down / intercepted / shot down? I really like the fact that you guys think that he's just not that good. I guarantee your coaching staff is more worried than you guys seem to be.

Serious question; what facts would you have to be hit over the head with before you believe the guy can throw the ball accurately and effectively. You seem to have a very large blind spot where this is concerned.

It's not that Tebow isn't a great qb with a solid arm. It's all of the OU fans watching Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Chase Daniel, Reesing, Taylor, Harrell, the kid from Baylor, and the kid from KSU. They are just all really f'ing good, each in their own way.

I guess we are desensitized. It makes Tebow look like a fullback running in a wildcat formation or something. The Big XII flings it around like the Pac10 used to, so watching Tebow is novel in the sense that he is such a powerful guy.

I am not trying to discredit him at all. I was surprised when Bradford won the Heisman over Tebow (mostly because of the Braveheart picks of Tebow at the end of the year.) Tebow is great. THere are just a bunch of great qbs here that you'll never hear of again.

delhalew
12/29/2008, 07:52 PM

Look man. I've watched the guy play. I consider him a threat on the ground. I also know he will dump it off for short and mid gains. When he winds up and goes for the gusto...advantage OU. Its like JWTN just said as far as passing threats go we have seen the baddest of the bad. Dont bring up Stafford, because he is INCREDIBLY overrated.

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 07:54 PM
Not to disagree, but they do mean something or I guess you'd just recruit everyone and hope someone happened to be good. By your logic, there'd be no reason to even keep high school stats. What makes college or pro stats mean anything? Emmitt was the all time leading Florida HS running back coming out of Escambia High in P'cola. Now why was everyone trying so darned hard to recruit him??

Yardage doesn't mean jack. Skill set, height, weight, 40 time, arm strength, etc. Those mean something. Check Bradfords stats his senior season.

P3 Gator
12/29/2008, 09:22 PM
Yardage doesn't mean jack. Skill set, height, weight, 40 time, arm strength, etc. Those mean something. Check Bradfords stats his senior season.

OK...6'4" / 235 pounds / can throw the ball as hard and deep as required / runs a 4.5 to 4.6 40, is accurate (as evidenced by his TD - int ratio, etc).

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 09:27 PM
More like 6'2 235 and he didn't even run a 4.5 in HS. Rivals had him running a 4.69 and that may just be what his coach gave them. He might have the arm strength but he doesn't throw it down the field often enough to say he can truly be accurate.

L-Boy
12/29/2008, 09:32 PM
Tebow may be the best long ball thrower I have seen at UF. We've had some pretty good passers, at the college level anyway, but very few were good long ball throwers. Matthews often underthrew, but he used it effectively. Wuerfell was not a terribly good long ball thrower, just not that accurate. Johnson threw everything on a rope. Palmer?? ehh..not that accurate. Grossman threw some really nice long balls. Leak - not really a long ball thrower, not a lot of arm strength. I have seen Tebow hit streaking guys on a dead run quite a few times.

One thing that Tebow does well is make use of his own play action - that sometimes makes the safeties bite and leaves the downfield receiver single coverage.

P3 Gator
12/29/2008, 09:48 PM
More like 6'2 235 and he didn't even run a 4.5 in HS. Rivals had him running a 4.69 and that may just be what his coach gave them. He might have the arm strength but he doesn't throw it down the field often enough to say he can truly be accurate.

OK, you're obviously not going to believe anything. You'll just have to find out like everyone else.

See ya 1/8.

Here's a comparison you can ignore. Culpepper must have sucked too, I guess.

Daunte Culpepper, Vanguard (Ocala), 1994. Was the 1994 Mr. Football winner led team to state final with 3,070 passing yards and 602 rushing yards as senior. Career offensive total of 7,034 yards – 6,107 passing, 927 rushing – is in state’s top 10. Put the University of Central Florida on college football map as star QB who completed 73.6 percent of his passes. Third player in NCAA history to pass for more than 10,000 yards and rush for more than 1,000. Just finished his 10th NFL season

Tim Tebow, Nease (Ponte Vedra Beach), 2005. State all-time total offense king with 13,042 career yards (9922 pass/3120 rush) and 159 TDs responsible for (96 passing/63 rushing) in 3 years as QB at Nease. Set single-season records as a senior with 5,552 yards (4286 passing, 1266 rushing) and 70 TDs (46/24) for 11-2 team. 2005 Mr. Football. Was awarded the 2007 Heisman Trophy as quarterback at Florida, becoming the first sophomore ever chosen to receive the prestigious award.

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2008, 09:57 PM
I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out what any of this shat has to do with the game.

Do you have any idea how many heisman or other superstar players OU has embarrassed over the years? Their numbers and awards meant little when the game started.

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 10:01 PM
Here's a link for your boy Culpepper. He hasn't had decent season since 2004 and the Lions signed him late this year because they were ....0....and....16. He had 4 TD and 6 picks this year but I guess thats good.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=1762

Curly Bill
12/29/2008, 10:03 PM
Since Troy Aikman won three Super Bowls does this mean Sam will win three as well?

I mean they both went to high school in Oklahoma.

OK2LA
12/29/2008, 10:16 PM
I think Tebow is accurrate on deep balls, however his wind up is slow and he often pump fakes for the double moves.

I think Tebow would be in trouble if he were forced to make consistant throws over 20 yards with pressure...

Conversely - Bradford hasn't been pressured much.

He is pretty good rolling out of the pocket though.

Ok. I have nothing.

DCGator
12/29/2008, 10:22 PM

Here are Tebow's 51 TDs from the regular season last year. There are several long passes in the video. Most of the long plays were not YAC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsditoWmwNM

Tebow is 5th in the country in passing efficiency this year, which includes YPA (I know Bradford is #1, but no Gator is stating he sucks like OU fans are saying about Tebow)
Tebow was 2nd in the country (to Bradford at #1) in efficiency in 2007. It gets tiring arguing the obvious, that Tebow can pass the ball.

OK2LA
12/29/2008, 10:31 PM
but no Gator is stating he sucks like OU fans are saying about Tebow

Get the hell out of here with that crap. No one is saying Tebow sucks. Those that are - are just saying it to get you riled up. We know that Tebow is a very good qb. When you come on our board, we're not going to get on our knees for your boy. If you want people to put him on a pedestal - you can get that kind of attention on your own board.

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2008, 10:42 PM
I already said many times that he's the best throwing fullback I've ever seen.

Curly Bill
12/30/2008, 12:23 AM
I already said many times that he's the best throwing fullback I've ever seen.

You must not be old enough to remember when Robert Newhouse played for the Cowboys. ;)

Crucifax Autumn
12/30/2008, 12:53 AM
No I just occasionally sacrifice real factual information in the greater name of sarcasm.

Curly Bill
12/30/2008, 12:55 AM
No I just occasionally sacrifice real factual information in the greater name of sarcasm.

Sarcasm rules, and it's especially great when dealing with gatorbaters because it's over their heads. :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/30/2008, 01:06 AM
Yeah, they're still working on basic reading comprehension so when you thow in a wild card like sarcasm their heads spin like Linda Blair

Thin White Duke
12/30/2008, 09:24 AM

Agreed. Of course any QB has a tough time making throws over twenty yards while under pressure.

One of the reasons that Tebow and Bradford are successful is the amount of time they get to throw. Both teams have good o-lines but Oklahoma has the advantage of having a better o-line and Florida has an advantage in having a more mobile QB. I think Florida' skill players are more talented but Oklahoma has more experienced skill players. And before anyone blasts me for saying that Florida has more talented skill players - this is just my opinion and for the record I think that OU's are very good. As a BIASED observer I just think that Florida's have more upside and big play potential but only slightly. Again, this is purely SPECULATIVE on my part it is not rooted in stats only the eyeball test.

Back to the original post is yes we can throw the deep ball but we don;t prefer to. It will be interesting to see what your defense tries to take away and see if our offense can take advantage of what it gives us.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/30/2008, 10:39 AM
Agreed. Of course any QB has a tough time making throws over twenty yards while under pressure.

One of the reasons that Tebow and Bradford are successful is the amount of time they get to throw. Both teams have good o-lines but Oklahoma has the advantage of having a better o-line and Florida has an advantage in having a more mobile QB. I think Florida' skill players are more talented but Oklahoma has more experienced skill players. And before anyone blasts me for saying that Florida has more talented skill players - this is just my opinion and for the record I think that OU's are very good. As a BIASED observer I just think that Florida's have more upside and big play potential but only slightly. Again, this is purely SPECULATIVE on my part it is not rooted in stats only the eyeball test.

Back to the original post is yes we can throw the deep ball but we don;t prefer to. It will be interesting to see what your defense tries to take away and see if our offense can take advantage of what it gives us.

First, I have to say each team has a different style of big play potential. We have great big play potential when we line up in a power I, then switch out to 4 wide out of the gun. It's what we've done so well is,getting favorable matchups with personel. Our passing game has many weapons who are all big play capable. Gresham(obviously), Juaquin, Manny, Broyles, Chaney(my pick to have a huge game), and backs coming out in routes.

Florida has the "grind it out" style run game. It pops when a crease opens up and the track speed can get into space. It relys on a big block, the right read, or just a playmaker to make the big game ability pop. That's pretty true for most teams as the reasons though. While I say we both have big play ability, I see both as completely different styles. It'll be very interesting to see what happens.

I've said it since I watched the SEC championship, our D will load the box and dare florida to beat us with the pass. Our defensive staff has great confidence in our corners and will leave them in man coverage a lot of the night. Florida fans, if you don't follow us(which I assume most have not), you know we're selling out to stop the run when you see Nic Harris, Quentin Carter(when he's in), and Clayton in the backfield or at the line. I see this happening and expect a low scoring game to start it out for florida. I'll leave my opinions of OUr offense out of this because it's a battle I can't win, well, with all that track speed and all ;)

soonerfan28
12/30/2008, 12:07 PM
I never said Tebow sucked. I like the guy, but you're trying to argue with HS stats and as I said before that doesn't mean **** because Bradford's were subpar to say the least and he has one of those Heisman trophies also. I like Tebow and who wouldn't with all the propaganda that ESPN puts out. The guy is a great fit for what Florida does and that's why Meyer brought him in and they've been so good. He'll have a good game and keep your team close, but OU wins 35-31. Thanks

Thin White Duke
12/30/2008, 12:39 PM
Calibred,

That is what I would do too if I were the Sooner's D coordinator. If you can stuff the run and make us beat you with the downfield throws then the game will defintely tilt to your favor. It is not our strong suit. We did it against Bama but I don't like the odds of doing it two games in a row. I hope we can get something going with the run up the middle because then our misdirections and end arounds open up a lot. If we can't get a push at the line we will be in for a long night. I did not mean to imply that your offensive palyers do not have big play potential. They obviously are amongst the very best in the country. I have been very impressed with the toughness of your receivers. I believe that your D against our Offense is the big unknown in this game.