PDA

View Full Version : Narnia update (just for Dean et al)

badger
12/29/2008, 08:49 AM
No more Narnia - they canceled plans to remake The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Admittedly, Prince Caspian was one of the meh books of the series, as it was just kind of CS Lewis promoting the war effort in his own little literary way. However, Dawn Treader kind of recaptures that Lion/Witch/Wardrobe magic where it takes a little spoiled brat and he's better from the experience, but everyone else learns something along the way too. Also, the guy they cast as Capian is kind of cute :)

Thoughts? Is Disney just bailing cuz of the economy or was this a franchise that was doomed?

swardboy
12/29/2008, 09:39 AM
I'll bite....Disney just now got wind of the Christian allegorical nature of the series...

C&CDean
12/29/2008, 09:41 AM
Narnia? It sure as hell ain't no Harry Potter. I've never read the books or watched the movies.

I have been reading a series of books in the Forgotten Realms family by R.A. Salvatore. The Legend of Drizzt Do'Urden. Good stuff.

badger
12/29/2008, 09:44 AM
Ok... sorry... I thought it was you that stickied the teaser poster for Prince Caspian on the football board when it was unveiled last year.

Nevermind. btw, did you ever read that new JK Rowling book that she did for charity? Personal opinion: Not very good. Second opinion: But I still read it and then read it a few more times.

C&CDean
12/29/2008, 10:58 AM
Ok... sorry... I thought it was you that stickied the teaser poster for Prince Caspian on the football board when it was unveiled last year.

Nevermind. btw, did you ever read that new JK Rowling book that she did for charity? Personal opinion: Not very good. Second opinion: But I still read it and then read it a few more times.

Tales of Beedle the Bard. I bought it, but haven't read it yet. I did listen to the Deathly Hallows on audiobooks on my trip out to Tucson this past week. Even though I've read it a couple times it was still damn good.

SoonerJack
12/29/2008, 02:41 PM
We just watched Prince Caspian last night and really enjoyed it. I'm sad to hear they're not going to do the Dawn Treader now. :-(

King Crimson
12/29/2008, 02:54 PM
it could be that investing in a 10 part series 2 epi's with medium ticket sales is not financially feasible in this financial climate...except that Disney hates Christians!

mindblower.

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2008, 03:55 PM
Prince Caspian did roughly half the domestic business that Lion, Witch, Wardrobe did and IIRC didn't make back it's production cost.

That's a bad omen for a series.

JohnnyMack
12/29/2008, 04:00 PM
This goes back to PC sucking as a story. VOTDT is much cooler.

C&CDean
12/29/2008, 04:04 PM
This goes back to PC sucking as a story. VOTDT is much cooler.

Ingles, por favor.

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2008, 04:06 PM
This goes back to PC sucking as a story. VOTDT is much more indicative of Lewis being involved in LSD trials.

True.

soonerscuba
12/29/2008, 04:48 PM
The kibosh has also been put on The Subtle Knife, this has been a crappy year for series.

SoonerStormchaser
12/29/2008, 05:17 PM
MOTHER ****ING DISNEY!!!!

They're killing the one good thing they had going...probably in favor of more direct-to-video sequels.

God I hate them...

soonerscuba
12/29/2008, 05:34 PM
MOTHER ****ING DISNEY!!!!

They're killing the one good thing they had going...probably in favor of more direct-to-video sequels.

God I hate them...
That company is amazing. By sheer volume and media share their terribleness survives some really weird decisions. The only truly promising venture they have is Pixar. Which almost exploded in their face, they told a company that grosses average $450m/movie that they couldn't control content, it took 2 billion dollars before Wall-e was green lit. F'em. Also, they wanted Toy Story 2 released to video before Pixar talked them out of it.