PDA

View Full Version : This Florida team could be the best EVAR!!!

oupride
12/28/2008, 11:24 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/dec/28/280011/sp-where-would-gators-rank/

Where Would Gators Rank?

By JOEY JOHNSTON

[email protected]

Published: December 28, 2008

Updated: 12:11 am

The Florida Gators (12-1) can become the state's 10th Division I-A national title team by defeating Oklahoma in the BCS Championship Game on Jan. 8.

Given that possibility, could the Gators be viewed among the state's all-time best teams?

A national panel of 20 journalists, assembled by the Tampa Tribune to rank the state's nine previous national title teams, was mixed about the 2008 Gators' long-term strength.

"If Florida beats Oklahoma, you have to give them consideration as the best all-time team in the state," said Tony Barnhart of CBS Sports. "You're talking about a team that lost only one game by one point Ole Miss 31, Florida 30 on Sept. 27 and dominated its competition. You're also talking about a team that beat two No. 1-ranked teams Alabama, Oklahoma and a preseason No. 1 Georgia. If Florida wins, that will make for an interesting discussion."

"I'm big on the unblemished record when ranking teams historically, and the Ole Miss loss would leave these Gators no better than the middle of the pack, at least in the short term," said Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star.

But the best may be yet to come.

"Tim Tebow belongs in the pantheon of great SEC players, along with icons such as Archie Manning and Herschel Walker," said Dick Weiss of the New York Daily News. "I love their balance and embarrassment of riches at the skill position spots and their speed on defense."

"I don't think Florida would compare with some of the teams at the top of this list, both because they lost to an unranked team and because many of their best players are still young," said Stewart Mandel of SportsIllustrated.com. "Win or lose, I have a feeling next year's team - if Tebow comes back - will be far more acclaimed."
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/8950/images1ti8.jpg
By oupride (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/oupride) at 2008-12-28

1890MilesToNorman
12/28/2008, 11:28 PM
I'm sure they are probably the best ever in their county of Florida in 2008. Other then that???

catsigater
12/28/2008, 11:29 PM
Ok, even I get a little queasy reading that. We haven't even played the game yet. Much as I hate to say it, the Miami teams of the 80s were the best Florida teams so far.

Meyer has a shot at surpassing them, but it will take at least 2 more MNCs, IMO.

Iam4OUru
12/28/2008, 11:38 PM
"You're also talking about a team that beat two No. 1-ranked teams Alabama, Oklahoma and a preseason No. 1 Georgia."

OH, PUH-LEEZE.

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2008, 12:22 AM
Please media, please...Give us hundreds more stories like this leading up to the game. Make shat up if you have to, lie outright, exagerate speed, tell us how their schedule is youghest, how their conference is best. Tell us the Big 12 is all system and we have neither power nor speed.

Please...keep it up and make sure the Florida players read it all. Tell them it's all true. Tell them if at least half of them show up they win in a blowout. please oh pretty please do it for me.

KC//CRIMSON
12/29/2008, 12:30 AM
So all you have to do to be the best is lose at home to a 8-4 team?

Sweet!

Panamag8or
12/29/2008, 12:39 AM
If we beat you guys, this team could probably make that claim... and that's a compliment to OU.

Ok, even I get a little queasy reading that. We haven't even played the game yet. Much as I hate to say it, the Miami teams of the 80s were the best Florida teams so far.

To be fair, we beat a few of those Miami teams

"You're also talking about a team that beat two No. 1-ranked teams Alabama, Oklahoma and a preseason No. 1 Georgia."

OH, PUH-LEEZE.

No kidding. They had long been exposed before we got to them.

pappy
12/29/2008, 12:57 AM
2001 miami is the best florida team.

pappy
12/29/2008, 12:58 AM
and I love all the bulletin board material that keeps coming out of that state and the media.

Jmorales22
12/29/2008, 02:40 AM
I can't believe they could even think about comparing them to 2001 miami or 1999 florida state. The hyperbole has gotten out of control

pweitkem
12/29/2008, 08:40 AM
2005 FIU was the best Florida team of all time. They got in a tussle with the thugs from Miami and made the entire state of Florida look like trash.

CincySooner
12/29/2008, 09:08 AM
2005 FIU was the best Florida team of all time. They got in a tussle with the thugs from Miami and made the entire state of Florida look like trash.

... and A'mod Ned was the toughest Florida player in history... I just don't see St. Tebow getting into a brawl while on crutches.

Wishboned
12/29/2008, 09:50 AM
To be fair, we beat a few of those Miami teams

No, you didn't.

The Gators beat Schnellenberger during his national championship year, and they beat Johnson his first year as head coach.

That's it.