PDA

View Full Version : Sooners should THANK the Gators for their offense...

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 08:14 PM
:D

well at least for their offensive minded orientation.

Here's why -

Back in the day, the Big 12 was mostly about option and ball control. The forward pass was this new fangled thing in which 2 out of 3 potential outcomes are bad. Stoops went from Big 12 land to Spurrier land, the land of wide open offenses, fun N gun, chuck it down the field, go for it on 4th down, and beat the snot out of your opponent even if its in the 4th quarter. After a couple of years at UF, Stoops took this let it all hang out philosophy to OU - much to the chagrin of many OU fans - Many were skeptical that you could win the ball game with a pass first philosophy. While the scheme OK adopted was significantly different than Spurrier's, nonetheless he opted for a pass oriented high yards high scoring scheme, which D coordinators typically don't like because it wears down your own defense too. He decided he liked offense, yards, and scoring, vs 3 yds and a cloud of dust, or running the option where if you ever get 10 pts behind in the 4th quarter and can't pass you're toast.

Since that point, the Big 12 has become much more wide open with the onset of the spread, to the point of being more wide open than the SEC these days.

That my friends is why the Sooner nation should thank the Gator nation.

Your friend,

L-Boy

AzianSooner
12/28/2008, 08:16 PM
OK thanks.

and we are going to kick your team's a..ss.

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 08:16 PM
You're a dumb ***.

...and a flamer. Can we bane this idjit?

KYSooner
12/28/2008, 08:20 PM
So your saying with recent runners like Peterson, Murray, AP, Brown, Madu, etc. that Stoops uses a "pass first" philosophy? I don't know if that's the case. While I agree with you that the Big 12 offenses have opened up, I still think that Stoops has a run first mindset.

Now Leach...different story.

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 08:20 PM
You're a dumb ***.

I have recently generally avoided discourse with you for obvious reasons, but how is this a flame?? Fundamentally what I am saying is true.

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 08:21 PM
I have recently generally avoided discourse with you for obvious reasons, but how is this a flame?? Fundamentally what I am saying is true.

So is what I said.

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 08:24 PM

Oh...and sorry, I don't tolerate fools well.

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 08:24 PM
So your saying with recent runners like Peterson, Murray, AP, Brown, Madu, etc. that Stoops uses a "pass first" philosophy? I don't know if that's the case. While I agree with you that the Big 12 offenses have opened up, I still think that Stoops has a run first mindset.

Now Leach...different story.

Whatever you want to call it, the passing game has been a huge part of the OK offense. I did not say OK had no running game.

They started with Leach from KY and he was arguably excessively pass happy, although I think since that point Leach has refined and made his system more effective. Mangeone (sp?) toned it down a bit, but still pretty transformational compared to your average Big 12 fare of the day.

soonerfan28
12/28/2008, 08:25 PM
I thought the SEC was all about the line up the I formation and run it down everybody's throat. That was until Leach got there.

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 08:27 PM
The SEC invented football!

Scott D
12/28/2008, 08:28 PM
:D

well at least for their offensive minded orientation.

Here's why -

Back in the day, the Big 12 was mostly about option and ball control. The forward pass was this new fangled thing in which 2 out of 3 potential outcomes are bad. Stoops went from Big 12 land to Spurrier land, the land of wide open offenses, fun N gun, chuck it down the field, go for it on 4th down, and beat the snot out of your opponent even if its in the 4th quarter. After a couple of years at UF, Stoops took this let it all hang out philosophy to OU - much to the chagrin of many OU fans - Many were skeptical that you could win the ball game with a pass first philosophy. While the scheme OK adopted was significantly different than Spurrier's, nonetheless he opted for a pass oriented high yards high scoring scheme, which D coordinators typically don't like because it wears down your own defense too. He decided he liked offense, yards, and scoring, vs 3 yds and a cloud of dust, or running the option where if you ever get 10 pts behind in the 4th quarter and can't pass you're toast.

Since that point, the Big 12 has become much more wide open with the onset of the spread, to the point of being more wide open than the SEC these days.

That my friends is why the Sooner nation should thank the Gator nation.

Your friend,

L-Boy

let's just say that your incorrect hypothesis is at least minimally plausible. Then would not the wide open offensive style would have spread like wildfire in the mostly 2.5 yards and a cloud of dust offenses that have mired the SEC into this perception that their defenses could shut out every NFL team that has won the Super Bowl known to history?

using the crux of your argument we should probably thanking Hal Mumme for not wanting to leave Kentucky hereby allowing Bob Stoops to hire Mike Leach, despite taking the rest of his coaching staff at the time mainly from Kansas State, a school that was running a semi-unconventional at the time offense compared to the Big-12 as a whole.

therefore, it is Hayden Fry and Iowa that we should be thanking for our offense. For had he not coached Bob Stoops in college, he couldn't have taken the journey he took that somehow had us running a more power based version of the Kevin Wilson Northwestern offense under Randy Walker.

L-Boy
Oh...and sorry, I don't tolerate fools well.

Its one thing to sit behind a PC screen in the comfort and security of your home and throw out such insults on a message board, its another to actually construct an intelligle argument supporting your assertions, which I have not seen a lot from you.

Scott D
p.s. shouldn't you be kissing Bob Davie's *** for turning Urban Meyer from a doodler into a coach?

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 08:32 PM
Its one thing to sit behind a PC screen in the comfort and security of your home and throw out such insults on a message board, its another to actually construct an intelligle argument supporting your assertions, which I have not seen a lot from you.

YAWN...

Hey wait, want to hear how fast we are?

Crucifax Autumn
12/28/2008, 08:33 PM
Historically you are correct that Stoops time at Florida led to his embrace of spread style offenses. You are incorrect in saying it came from Florida's offensive strategy though.

He hired Leach due to the headaches he encountered trying to defend Leach's system at Kentucky and hired him to bring it to Oklahoma.

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 08:34 PM
I thought the SEC was all about the line up the I formation and run it down everybody's throat. That was until Leach got there. When Spurrier got there yes it was, and was for quite a few years. However, in relative terms of the day, the SEC was thought of as "pass happy". TN opened it up, GA opened up, and maybe a few others. Of course, the Bamas and the Auburns kept it pretty conventional and conservative.

I only spoke of FL, not the SEC - FL under Spurrier was never a run it down everybody's throat program. A couple of times they may have been a bit better if they were (when Fred Taylor was there).

IBleedCrimson
12/28/2008, 08:35 PM
You're a dumb ***.

motion seconded...

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 08:37 PM
p.s. shouldn't you be kissing Bob Davie's *** for turning Urban Meyer from a doodler into a coach?

Maybe, :D but we should definitely be thanking Utah, where we got our current University President, which probably directly lead to Meyer following him here.

Jacie
12/28/2008, 08:40 PM
On a related note, remember after 1999 how the horns ridiculed OUr dink and dunk, gimmick offense? Yeah, the Sooners did some unconventional things that first year (ninjee!) but look at the career passing stats, any of em, and they have all been rewritten since Coach Stoops took over.

Thank you, Coach!

Go Sooners!

Beat UF!

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 08:41 PM
Historically you are correct that Stoops time at Florida led to his embrace of spread style offenses. You are incorrect in saying it came from Florida's offensive strategy though.

He hired Leach due to the headaches he encountered trying to defend Leach's system at Kentucky and hired him to bring it to Oklahoma.

I never said or implied OK got the spread from FL, what Spurrier ran was nothing like a spread, nor did I say strategy. I said offensive orientation.

You bring up a good point with Stoops having to defend Leach though.

Scott D
12/28/2008, 08:43 PM
Maybe, :D but we should definitely be thanking Utah, where we got our current University President, which probably directly lead to Meyer following him here.

So really, you need to be thanking Bowling Green, which means you should thank Toledo, which means your current team is because of Gary Pinkel ;)

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 08:43 PM
let's just say that your incorrect hypothesis is at least minimally plausible. Then would not the wide open offensive style would have spread like wildfire in the mostly 2.5 yards and a cloud of dust offenses that have mired the SEC into this perception that their defenses could shut out every NFL team that has won the Super Bowl known to history?

using the crux of your argument we should probably thanking Hal Mumme for not wanting to leave Kentucky hereby allowing Bob Stoops to hire Mike Leach, despite taking the rest of his coaching staff at the time mainly from Kansas State, a school that was running a semi-unconventional at the time offense compared to the Big-12 as a whole.

therefore, it is Hayden Fry and Iowa that we should be thanking for our offense. For had he not coached Bob Stoops in college, he couldn't have taken the journey he took that somehow had us running a more power based version of the Kevin Wilson Northwestern offense under Randy Walker.

Hey, around here I'll take that as a "Thanks".

Scott D
12/28/2008, 08:45 PM
Hey, around here I'll take that as a "Thanks".

sure, because of you I've written a letter of thanks to Hayden Fry.

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 08:47 PM
So really, you need to be thanking Bowling Green, which means you should thank Toledo, which means your current team is because of Gary Pinkel ;)

Duly noted, and consider this my official public thanking of all said parties involved.

I know, you can get into these ridiculous associations, obviously coaches and systems and schemes move around. However, I think Spurrier was transformational to the SEC. I think Stoops was transformational to the big 12. If nothing else, I think Stoops learned from Spurrier you don't have to follow conventional wisdom to be successful.

Scott D
12/28/2008, 08:49 PM
Duly noted, and consider this my official public thanking of all said parties involved.

I know, you can get into these ridiculous associations, obviously coaches and systems and schemes move around. However, I think Spurrier was transformational to the SEC. I think Stoops was transformational to the big 12. If nothing else, I think Stoops learned from Spurrier you don't have to follow conventional wisdom to be successful.

Perhaps, except Stoops has said publicly that he hired Leach to create a difficult offense to scheme against because the Kentucky scheme was a headache for him as a DC. So maybe Florida should be thanking Bob Stoops for taking Mike Leach away from Kentucky before they could do too much damage. ;)

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 08:50 PM
I want to thank the Florida Gators for inventing football.

Scott D
12/28/2008, 08:52 PM
I want to thank the rest of the SEC for setting the concept of Offense back 5 decades. :D

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 08:55 PM
I want to thank the rest of the SEC for setting the concept of Offense back 5 decades. :D

Oh no, it's just because their defenses are so good. :rolleyes:

AzianSooner
12/28/2008, 09:15 PM
so.. since Urban want to run a "kind-of" wishbone, FL should thank OU for making that perfect.

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 09:52 PM
so.. since Urban want to run a "kind-of" wishbone, FL should thank OU for making that perfect.

It is interesting how some things in football are somewhat cyclical. In terms of QB, once again the athletic QB is back in demand, as opposed to a QB who needed an arm, a passing mentality, and ability to move in a pocket. The difference these days is the QB has to be able to pass too.

Now the option is coming back into vogue, via the spread - and now you have Georgia Tech running a wishbone.

If we are throwing out thanks and props, I would like to thank OU for Galen Hall (seriously for any UF fans reading). Galen was a stand up guy, and came in and too UF to their first SEC championship after Pell left in scandal (the title was subsequently stripped). Hall later struggled a bit at UF, but part of that was probably due to ongoing probation issues, including some ticky tack infractions he later got tagged for. Whatever the case, Hall has won wherever he has gone - at OU, at UF, the WFL, USFL, NFL Europe, and now is helped bring Penn St. back on the map. It is interesting how he has won running different style offensive scheme and styles from running to pass happy type offenses.

GottaHavePride
12/28/2008, 09:58 PM
On a related note, remember after 1999 how the horns ridiculed OUr dink and dunk, gimmick offense? Yeah, the Sooners did some unconventional things that first year (ninjee!) but look at the career passing stats, any of em, and they have all been rewritten since Coach Stoops took over.

Thank you, Coach!

Go Sooners!

Beat UF!

I LOVED the Ninja set. And I still giggle to think that the first time we used it we went straight down the field against A&M with it - I don't think we changed sets that whole posession (after the initial "not enough men on the line of scrimmage" penalty)

And once Leach left for Tech, the rest of the Big XII has been looking for pitchforks and torches to corral the Leachenstein Monster. It's been getting closer, and this year the Big XII finally caught up offensively. Now it's a race to see whose defense can evolve the fastest. When THAT happens, the rest of the country is in deep ****.

delhalew
12/28/2008, 10:00 PM

The problem is your initial statement was like a half formed thought full of holes and missing alot of key information. Add to that your underlying point and Curly is right.

You are an idiot. Sorry.

OUmillenium
12/28/2008, 10:31 PM
Curly Bill speaks for me so I can have more time to serf and scoff at dbag posts from hosers who lurk in for smack.

Dan Thompson
12/28/2008, 10:45 PM
Gawd, I'm soo confussed. Are we doomed?

Crucifax Autumn
12/28/2008, 10:56 PM
We're always doomed, just ask any of these gators, Lid, & Leroy!

UTisLousy
12/28/2008, 11:50 PM
I want to thank Al Gore for inventing the internet. Now we all have the priviledge of reading how the Florida Gators football team is god's gift to football, and somehow everything and everyone any good, including Abraham himself began at UF.

Whatever! UF won their conference the SEC, which isn't nearly as strong, and has been living off it's reputation from past seasons. UF lost to an inferior opponent on it's HOME FIELD. Stop me when I'm suppose to be impressed.

OU played the tougher schedule, OU faced the better QBs, OU played the bigger games, OU set the records, not Florida. UF has never beaten OU. You go right ahead and bank on your big bad SEC conference being so tough.

God surely wouldn't let Tebow lose...would he? Sure didn't help Notre Dame any this year, and there's a big picture of Jesus on a building there.

GottaHavePride
12/29/2008, 12:06 AM
I LOVED the Ninja set. And I still giggle to think that the first time we used it we went straight down the field against A&M with it - I don't think we changed sets that whole posession (after the initial "not enough men on the line of scrimmage" penalty)

And once Leach left for Tech, the rest of the Big XII has been looking for pitchforks and torches to corral the Leachenstein Monster. It's been getting closer, and this year the Big XII finally caught up offensively. Now it's a race to see whose defense can evolve the fastest. When THAT happens, the rest of the country is in deep ****.

Hey there, #25,000. I didn't even see you standing there.

Curly Bill
12/29/2008, 12:08 AM
Hey there, #25,000. I didn't even see you standing there.

At least you had the word "Ninja" in post 25,000. That's gotta count for something. :D

...and Leachenstein Monster!

Jmorales22
12/29/2008, 02:50 AM
Wow, so many people to thank...where to begin?

I would like to thank Ponce de Leon for discovering Florida

Crucifax Autumn
12/29/2008, 03:42 AM
I'd like to kick his Azz for the same. Florida is the weiner dangling from the crotch of the USA!

soonerfan28
12/29/2008, 09:35 AM
I do have to say that this Gator offense is about the only thing exciting about SEC football. Most of the offenses in the SEC are pretty boring, but maybe Malzahn can change that.

soonerboomer93
12/29/2008, 11:05 AM

you can also thank the domers, for way under bidding on meyer and thinking they would get him because "we're notre dame"

same thing that happened between the hat and meatchicken last year