PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Operations Report.

Okla-homey
12/28/2008, 12:31 PM
27 December 2008/1645CST. Partly cloudy conditions. Barometric pressure rising. Temp. 40F. Wind NNE at 5-10 mph.

Yours truly engaged a group of three deer (doe and two fawns of undetermined gender) from a tree stand at a distance of approximately 75 yds, on private property in rural Mayes County (vic. Locust Grove,) over a pretty picked-over sorghum food plot.

I fired a single .270 cartridge from a twenty-three year-old Remington Model 700, equipped with similarly old Redfield "Tracker" 3x-9x optics. I hit the target animal (doe) just behind her right shoulder and double-lunging her. She attempted to flee approximately 5 yds. before dying a humane and quick death. The fawns beat feet.

After field dressing, she weighed 67 pounds. I'm meeting a guy at Siegi's here in T-town at 1500L who will accept and process said skinned and quartered deer for a $45.00 fee. Ordering 10lbs breakfast sausage, 20lbs of ground meat and the rest steaks.

I hadn't been deer hunting in several years. I forgot how dang fun it is.

That is all.

P.S. She was no longer lactating, thus her fawns will be fine.

BudSooner
12/28/2008, 12:37 PM
I didn't see anything this year, and i'm already planning on next year...getting a new bow and looking around for a new rifle, probably a 7 mag.
My son wants to go so i'll probably look around for one of those 2man stands, I used my uncles brothers...very nice and it was in an area that a monster 12 pointer was using as an runway between a creek and alfalfa field.

Though I may end up going somewhere around Tenkiller, if my scouting trips in May thru August don't turn up anything.

Okla-homey
12/28/2008, 12:40 PM
It was literally the last day possible for me. Today is the last day of gun holiday anterless season. I'm going to try to get out more next year.

I hunted Friday afternoon and saw one about 1730, but it was too dark for the shot. I got boofed by the thunderstorm Saturday morning, but things had cleared up and gotten much colder by Saturday afternoon. Thus, they were hungry and stirred-up.

OKLA21FAN
12/28/2008, 01:12 PM
now, when I watch Bambi with the grand kids, I will think of Homey. I guess thats a good thing :pop:

Okla-homey
12/28/2008, 02:24 PM
now, when I watch Bambi with the grand kids, I will think of Homey. I guess thats a good thing :pop:

Better than watching Bambi and realizing how pathetic that sick and starving deer look when they are allowed to propogate unchecked by responsible hunting. Or to think about Bambi when your vehicle is in the shop having a couple thousand dollars worth of body work done to repair a collision with a deer at night on the highway.;)

OKLA21FAN
12/28/2008, 02:41 PM
nah, i'll go with my first thought

BudSooner
12/28/2008, 02:56 PM
Or to think about Bambi when your vehicle is in the shop having a couple thousand dollars worth of body work done to repair a collision with a deer at night on the highway.;)

I've seen that happen, have you ever seen the damage a horse can cause to a car? Holy ****, it ain't pretty.

StoopTroup
12/28/2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.londonstimes.us/toons/cartoons/richdiesslin_bambi.gif

OKLA21FAN
12/28/2008, 02:57 PM
at least you don't use dogs...now thats 'hunting' ;)

not so much

StoopTroup
12/28/2008, 03:00 PM
http://seemikedraw.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/hunting-trophy.gif

StoopTroup
12/28/2008, 03:08 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_M_rhIbhVUJM/SLPrEgLIU9I/AAAAAAAADyo/w-TClxdGzw8/s400/Bambi.jpg

Rogue
12/28/2008, 03:53 PM
Wish the public land here was better huntin'.

olevetonahill
12/28/2008, 04:33 PM
I haven't Kilt anything with 4 legs in almost 30 years . :D

Okla-homey
12/28/2008, 07:34 PM
nah, i'll go with my first thought

In truth, given we've pretty much killed off every four-legged member ahead of deer in the food chain, we must hunt them responsibly or be overrun with destructive sickly and starving deer. Either that, or reintroduce cougars, panthers, mountain lions, bears, lynx, bobcat and wolves to their habitat. Of course, those predators have a nasty habit of attacking folks too, which kinda leads us back to hunting as the preferred means of deer population control.

StoopTroup
12/28/2008, 08:02 PM
Once they add "Domesticated House Cat" Season....I'm in....:D

OKC-SLC
12/28/2008, 08:12 PM

no ****.

OKLA21FAN
12/28/2008, 08:15 PM
In truth, given we've pretty much killed off every four-legged member ahead of deer in the food chain, we must hunt them responsibly or be overrun with destructive sickly and starving deer. Either that, or reintroduce cougars, panthers, mountain lions, bears, lynx, bobcat and wolves to their habitat. Of course, those predators have a nasty habit of attacking folks too, which kinda leads us back to hunting as the preferred means of deer population control.

I totally understand. At least you don't use the 'its a food source' dealio.

$40 a pound food source is da devil! (when its all said and done)

I still think you will shoot your eye out!

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 08:20 PM

Season? pffft...if one needs to be done in I don't wait for no stinking season.

olevetonahill
12/28/2008, 08:49 PM
Season? pffft...if one needs to be done in I don't wait for no stinking season.

Dean?

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 08:58 PM
Dean?

Heh...nope, I just hate cats that come to my propery and get into, or on my stuff, like a freshly washed and waxed automobile -- that is a shootable offense.

C&CDean
12/29/2008, 09:38 AM
Good jorb Homeslice.

If'n I knew how to post a pic anymore I'd put up the buck my 12 year old nephew killed on my place a few weeks back. 8-pointer who went 148 pounds on the hoof, 105 completely dressed (no head, skin, guts, legs).

He dropped it at 105 yards with a .243. Heart and one lung. Deer went maybe 10 yards before piling up. The funny thing was there were 2 does he was chasing who just stood there the whole time. After he went down, one of them walked over and sniffed him a couple times then went back to eating. I also had a doe tag, but I told the nephew I didn't feel like cleaning 2 deer that evening.

BTW, that is probably the best tasting deer I've ever eaten. Momma made some spaghetti sauce, some chili, and I've made about 10 pounds of jerky from him. Top drawer.

Cats? Season? 24/7/365.

swardboy
12/29/2008, 09:45 AM
Any signs of bigfoot out there?

olevetonahill
12/29/2008, 09:56 AM
Any signs of bigfoot out there?

Hell NO , I Hide during Huntin Season .:eek:

IB4OU2
12/29/2008, 10:29 AM

Thanks for help keeping the deer population in check Homey. I collected an eight pointer during rifle and a nice tall 6 pointer during BP both using a TC Encore in 30-06 and .50 cal respectively. The deer population on our lease has exploded during the last 10 years do to our conservation and deer management efforts. Hunting is the only means to effectively keep a healthy herd. Congrats on getting back to the woods and enjoying the bounty that Mother earth gives us.

C&CDean
12/29/2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for help keeping the deer population in check Homey. I collected an eight pointer during rifle and a nice tall 6 pointer during BP both using a TC Encore in 30-06 and .50 cal respectively. The deer population on our lease has exploded during the last 10 years do to our conservation and deer management efforts. Hunting is the only means to effectively keep a healthy herd. Congrats on getting back to the woods and enjoying the bounty that Mother earth gives us.

Amen, and congrats.