PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Receiving Corps

htownsooner7
12/28/2008, 09:55 AM
What's it gonna look like? Assuming Gresham goes to the NFL, we will lose 4 of our top 5 receiving threats. Everywhere else where we are taking a significant hit, I see very solid replacements. I really believe that we will reload at O line and safety. Besides Broyles, which guys will be our receiving playmakers?

oupride
12/28/2008, 11:12 AM
Replacing Gresham? is like replacing Keith Jackson, you just can't. Brody Eldridge, TE, Jr., could be the guy. He is also currenly #2 on depth chart at FB position.

The WR names below indicate what their academic status sb NEXT year:
Adron Tennell, WR, Sr.
Brandon Caleb, WR, Jr. -currently #2 on depth chart behind Iglesis.
Jameel Owens, WR, Soph.
Dejuan Miller, WR, Soph. - listed 6-6, the kid I am most interested to see.
Bryan Royals, WR, RdSoph. - listed 5-11, and continues to exceed expectations!

That's all I know, however Joshua Jarboe, WR, sb Soph. however, I have no idea if he is on the team? Anyone?

Sooner Stew
12/28/2008, 11:25 AM
Jarboe transferred to Troy

I think miller will have his coming out party next year...looks like an amazing athlete

Tennell has shown glimpses of greatness in his three years...knows the offense and should be one of the leaders for the next years crop of WR's

Boomer38Sooner
12/28/2008, 11:44 AM
I also think that like this years receivers, the veterans like Adron Tennell and Brandon Caleb....they are going to be good blockers. This will lead to bigger plays from behind them

soonerfan28
12/28/2008, 12:05 PM
Broyles and Owens with Madu in the slot and Miller and Tennell backing up. I think it's going to be hard to keep Calhoun off the field another year w/out him transferring and that's why Madu will be in the slot because they've already talked about doing it in the past and he's good in space.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/28/2008, 12:07 PM
Replacing Gresham? is like replacing Keith Jackson, you just can't. Brody Eldridge, TE, Jr., could be the guy. He is also currenly #2 on depth chart at FB position.

The WR names below indicate what their academic status sb NEXT year:
Adron Tennell, WR, Sr.
Brandon Caleb, WR, Jr. -currently #2 on depth chart behind Iglesis.
Jameel Owens, WR, Soph.
Dejuan Miller, WR, Soph. - listed 6-6, the kid I am most interested to see.
Bryan Royals, WR, RdSoph. - listed 5-11, and continues to exceed expectations!

That's all I know, however Joshua Jarboe, WR, sb Soph. however, I have no idea if he is on the team? Anyone?

Bryan Royals is a stud!

soonerfan28
12/28/2008, 12:14 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I think he was kidding, or at least I hope so.

adoniijahsooner
12/28/2008, 12:39 PM
One thing about Kevin Wilson, is that he will change his offense to fit the personnel. If gresham leaves, maybe Miller fills that void where no one can matchup with him physically. Next years guys are more talented than Manny and Jaquin, but those guys are experienced and know what it takes to get open when things fall apart. Which is my only concern with young recievers.

josh09
12/28/2008, 02:21 PM
Bryan Royals is a stud!

Bryan is such a great guy off the field, too :D

Jason White's Third Knee
12/28/2008, 04:33 PM
I don't want to be a downer or anything, but I am already writing off next year. We lose our O-line and that will probably mean that Sam is gone.

We will have major issues. We might go 7-5.

Sorry.

htownsooner7
12/28/2008, 05:07 PM
You are crazy. Next year, we have a great shot at getting ANOTHER conference championship. Our O Line will be plenty good. The defense is solid. All of the RBs are back plus Calhoun jumps in the mix. The QB and receivers must be answered, but that's been done before. In 2005, we had no talent at receiver... then stepped in Malcolm Kelly and Iglesias and Johnson. In 2007, our qb position was terrible... then stepped in Sam Bradford. We will be fine if we get guys to step up.

adoniijahsooner
12/28/2008, 05:09 PM
You are crazy. Next year, we have a great shot at getting ANOTHER conference championship. Our O Line will be plenty good. The defense is solid. All of the RBs are back plus Calhoun jumps in the mix. The QB and receivers must be answered, but that's been done before. In 2005, we had no talent at receiver... then stepped in Malcolm Kelly and Iglesias and Johnson. In 2007, our qb position was terrible... then stepped in Sam Bradford. We will be fine if we get guys to step up.

I would not even address such foolishness.

Soonermagik
12/28/2008, 05:49 PM
I don't want to be a downer or anything, but I am already writing off next year. We lose our O-line and that will probably mean that Sam is gone.

Sorry.

I sorta agree. However, if Gresham & Bradford come back I like our chances of a 10-2 record. If both guys leave, I say we will lose 4 games and go to a Holiday Bowl kinda like we did with Bomar that year.

pappy
12/28/2008, 06:00 PM
ok I follow recruiting and have been for 5 years now but I have no idea who bryan royals is!! who is he where is he from? did he transfer to ou or what?

TXBOOMER
12/28/2008, 06:13 PM
If Sam and Jermaine come back we will be damn good. I won't hold my breath for that to happen. Broyles, Tennell and Caleb (if his catching skills improve in the off season) would be my guess for starters next year.

JLEW1818
12/28/2008, 06:14 PM
Bryan Royals is a stud!

:D :D

DrZaius
12/28/2008, 06:16 PM
Now that Goodell has confirmed that there is no need to come out this draft. I think Gresham stays, I think he has to many drops and needs another season of working with his hands. Al least that is what I hope... ;)

starclassic tama
12/28/2008, 06:25 PM

Sorry.

nice analysis nickzepp

pappy
12/28/2008, 06:26 PM
I think if the underclassmen stay we'll be real good...I doubt we score 700+ again but still good enough to compete for championships...the oline and wr's won't be as experienced but still good enough. our defense should be one of the best in the nation and our offense should still be top 25 (if everyone returns).

still want to know about this bryan royals kid.

SPuL
12/28/2008, 07:02 PM
Bryan Royals will carry us to #9

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/28/2008, 07:09 PM
Tennell has shown glimpses of greatness in his three years...knows the offense and should be one of the leaders for the next years crop of WR's

glimpses of greatness? :texan: darrell wyatt batted .500 on those tall skinny receivers. too bad one of his hits was rashaun woods.

in 2005 we returned 2 very veteran senior receivers - travis wilson and jujuan rankins. yes, they were hurt for some of the year, but having them around to settle down the young guys helped a ton.

caleb seems like he can fill the manny johnson deep threat/bubble screen role with broyles in the mid range role. the question is whether we can find a guy good at working underneath.

as for madu being moved or calhoun transfers. you have got to be kidding me. we went down that road with bomar, look where that got us. if he can't win playing time the old fashioned way, you know earning it, then he needs to either wait for his time or transfer.

Scott D
12/28/2008, 07:25 PM
I told my dad about Miller's struggles this year, and he seemed honestly surprised that he wasn't redshirted. He still stands by the fact that the kid is one hell of a receiver.

soonerfan28
12/28/2008, 07:56 PM
Bryan Royals= Ryan Broyles

Toronto Sooner
12/28/2008, 08:05 PM
I know I have said this before, but I think D. Miller has a chance to be a monster. I hope they can get him some decent playing time next year.

B. Caleb looked very impressive in limited playing time this year.

I would like to see Boyles as 1st receiver, with Caleb and J. Owens alternating as the 2nd receiver. I would also like to see Madu in the slot receiver position, maybe alternating with another receiver - this would allow Calhoun to be the 3rd RB.

As I have also mentioned before, I haven't been impressed with Tennell thus far. I hope he comes on next year.

I wonder why we don't hear more about Corey Wilson. I wonder if he is any good. I thought his brother, Travis Wilson, had a lot of potential.

Scott D
12/28/2008, 08:21 PM
some guys develop slower than others.

At one point, if you had suggested that Quentin Chaney would be anywhere near as dependable this season as he's been, not to mention be the best blocking WR we have, you would have been laughed at as if you had said that Eric Bassey was one of the top 4 corners this team had in the Bob Stoops era.

Boomer38Sooner
12/28/2008, 10:48 PM
And it is nuts that he's such a good blocker at 6'6"

bob
12/28/2008, 10:51 PM
We will be thin and young in the receiving corp. but there will be quality. We will have quality as long as Stoops is here. And we don't know if a freshman will step in. Watch for Madu to move to the slot in the spring. He can catch and has the moves, plus in the open he is a running back very hard to tackle. Murry will be back next year and he will catch a lot of balls coming out of the backfield. Owens will be a monster. We'll be OK there, not as good, but with Sams (who will be back) pinpoint accuracy, it will make it easier for these young guys to catch and run. O line will be fine, and in a year or two will be better than the one we have right now. No reason we shouldn't be contending with Texas for the Big 12 title, and a BCS bowl next year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/19/2009, 04:30 PM
caleb seems like he can fill the manny johnson deep threat/bubble screen role with broyles in the mid range role. the question is whether we can find a guy good at working underneath.

gah, looks like they have broyles in the underneath role and caleb working the mid range. if tennell doesn't pull his head out in the next week or so i think jaz reynolds is going to be our perma deep threat. he does a pretty good job of clearing mulitple guys out of the zone when he goes deep.

Toronto Sooner
9/19/2009, 06:56 PM
Dejuan Miller hasn't turned into the monster I thought he would eventually (when I wrote this last year). He needs to step it up this year. With all potential A grade receivers we may have coming in next year, Dejuan may never have this type of opportunity again.

Brandon Caleb is turning into the player I thought he had the potential of being.

I'm glad to see Boyles indeed ceased the opportunity as the 1st receiver.

I wrote last year that I thought Owens could alternate with Caleb in the second receiver role. I wish I knew he was lazy and didn't like to compete in practice to earn his playing time. He looked lost in the limited time he was in games last year - he didn't impress at all. I figured I was missing something though, given how everyone else on here (who got to see him in highschool and practice and such - a lot more info than me) was raving about him. I ended up giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I wrote last year that I have never been impressed with Tennell. I was pulling for him to do well this year though, as he seems like a good guy with size, speed and a lot of talent. Man, he looks even more unimpressive than I ever thought. Can he actually catch a pass???

I also wrote last year that I was wondering if Corey Wilson was any good. I really liked watching his brother play at OU. Travis is one of my favourite receivers in the Stoops era at OU. Sadly, we didn't have a chance to see Corey do his thing also. I wish Corey the very best with his recover.

I know I have said this before, but I think D. Miller has a chance to be a monster. I hope they can get him some decent playing time next year.

B. Caleb looked very impressive in limited playing time this year.

I would like to see Boyles as 1st receiver, with Caleb and J. Owens alternating as the 2nd receiver. I would also like to see Madu in the slot receiver position, maybe alternating with another receiver - this would allow Calhoun to be the 3rd RB.

As I have also mentioned before, I haven't been impressed with Tennell thus far. I hope he comes on next year.

I wonder why we don't hear more about Corey Wilson. I wonder if he is any good. I thought his brother, Travis Wilson, had a lot of potential.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/19/2009, 07:05 PM
its always about understanding that what you see tends to be right. you can hope that they will get better but it normally doesn't end up that way. we need a 3rd receiver in the worst way. the move of madu out was a lose/lose. calhoun is a mystery to me out there. he shows good vision on one play and then poor vision on the next 2-3. doesn't look all that natural out there.

delhalew
9/19/2009, 07:20 PM
I think Kenney steps up next.

Toronto Sooner
9/19/2009, 11:01 PM
I agree with your comments on Calhoun. He doesn't give me a comfortable feeling about developing into an elite back. It's early and obviously he may still do that. However, with AD and Demarco Murray, their abilities/potential really jumped out at me the very first time I saw them - it left me with no doubt. Also, Calhoun doesn't seem to be as powerful as I thought he would be (at least as I thought I saw in his highschool highlights. I don't see the explosiveness, moves and speed I was expecting from him.

On the flipside, Jonathan Miller's style and skills is exactly what I envisioned. He may or may not turn into an elite back but he shows some goods skills (speed, quickness, cutbacks, big play capabilities, vision, decent power for a speed back.....).

gaylordfan1
9/19/2009, 11:11 PM
J. Miller has looked good! Really good! He has shown that he can be a big play back. Granted his big gains were in the Idaho game, but Calhoun didn't really shine against the same def. Calhoun looks to be more of a short yardage back. But who knows... He may just need time.