PDA

View Full Version : OU Defense: What to like/not to like

cheezyq
12/28/2008, 12:41 AM
Warning, this thread is for Sooner fans only. We don't need any Gator trolls telling us our defense sucks because we play in the Big 12 or we don't have FU speed. I don't even want FU mentioned in this thread, because this thread has only to do with OU defense this year versus OU defense in the past. None of you Gator trolls have been around OU football until the last 2 weeks. So, please leave us alone to discuss football. TIA.

I have a question for the Sooner/Venables defense critics. I'm a fellow Venables critic. But, this year has, I think, seen some slight improvement. Perhaps it's just because the offense is so damn good, I don't know for sure. I'm mainly calling out Curly Bill here, because he and I have had similar thoughts on the OU defense in the past, and I'm curious what he thinks. But any Sooner feel free to give an opinion.

Have you seen anything this year so far that indicates improvement? If so/if not, please explain.

I think I've seen more changing up on the defense this year. Instead of just straight zone, I've seen some interesting zone blitzes and occasional stunting on the DL. Also, I think we've minimized the HUGE play for the most part (yeah, some 20-30 yard pickups, but none of those 70-yard TDs like in the past), instead settling for keeping everything in front of us....which has allowed for extensive drives, but perhaps has created more opportunities for turnovers. I don't see anything like what I saw last year, where players were CONSTANTLY out of place and we were struggling to get to the ball carrier/receiver. I haven't seen anything like the Colorado game last year where our guys were so far out of place we couldn't tackle the running back.

Now, I still don't think our defense is spectacular. But in general I think I've seen some improvement. The only minor exceptions are the 3rd quarter in the KU game and pieces of the OSU game. The UT game saw a lot of points scored, but I think most of that effort could be attributed to McCoy playing ridiculously well.

Thoughts?

Crucifax Autumn
12/28/2008, 12:51 AM
I think the biggest change aside from mixing the blitz packages more is pure toughness. For the first time in a few years I think they are all looking for the big hit and only going for the turnover when it's really there for the taking. Due to this we have more turnovers thanks to knocking the ball lose as opposed to grabbing for it and then trying to correct after missing it. OUr guys really seem to want to send a message with their hits. Aside from that I think we've done a much better job of disrupting the opposing QB. Sometimes that's resulted in dumb plays, other times it's resulted in throwaways, and other times its resulted in QB runs and this year, particularly the last half of the season, that's seemed to be something we manage to sniff out and stop.

OU_Sooners75
12/28/2008, 12:56 AM
I am one of the critics as well.

I think Toughness is the biggest asset. I also think this unit has played as a team. I remember in years past that we had 3-4 defensive players that were post season award winners or finalists. Yes, we had a few, but none like Lofton, Smith, Strait, Williams, etc.

I think this helps a bunch. We have created a bunch of turnovers this year. In fact that is one thing that this defense has over teams past. We have created a ton of tunrovers compared to teams post 2000. This shows our defense is disciplined enough to stay in position.

My biggest problems earlier this year was the fact that it seemed that our defense has been unprepared in a few games. However since November started, I think this unit is playing near their ability. I hope the upcoming game they will play at or above their abilities.

I also have come to realize that our offense has scored so fast, that it has made our defense be on the field for so many plays.

ouwasp
12/28/2008, 01:43 AM
I like the turnovers, cb play overall, tackling seems pretty decent.

Don't like: No bell-cow leader, not enough 3 & outs, injuries.

tommieharris91
12/28/2008, 01:49 AM
For 70-yard TD plays, I will refer you to the OU-KSU game.

GottaHavePride
12/28/2008, 03:43 AM
I like that we're learning from our opposition. After facing OSU's defense, I noticed that at the Big XII CCG our defense started shifting very late against Mizzou, and it was pretty effective at confusing their offense.

Of course, Booger had about as big a mental block against us as TFRW did, so take that for what it's worth.

piusbovis
12/28/2008, 04:43 AM
Take it for what it's worth (not much, since I'm an ignoramus) but since we pretty much accept our offense as the next step or at least as on the more advanced side of offenses, I have felt since the middle of the year that our defense is the perfect complement to our offense.

USC has "possibly the greatest defense in history (ESPN)" but a mediocre offense. Admittedly, I don't know much about defense but it seems like with a high-scoring offense like ours that gives the opponent the ball bunches of times an opportunistic defense that gets the ball back is the perfect complement. It just seems like with as many opportunities as the opponent gets a shutdown defense like USC's isn't feasible so we try to get the ball back.

Typically the O will get some scores so if a time or two more than not we create a turnover rather than allow a score our team will win. This could just be completely obvious MNF analysis but it just feels like in the current B XII era of unstoppable offenses a defense that plays to get the ball back rather than stop a score might be the next step in this cycle of evolution.

olevetonahill
12/28/2008, 04:49 AM
7 New starters , Injuries , Improvement after every Injury . I like Our D .;)

Crucifax Autumn
12/28/2008, 05:15 AM
Me too...in this context

htownsooner7
12/28/2008, 10:12 AM
Here are my thoughts:

Something about our team is completely misunderstood: We are both a fast break offense AND a fast break defense. Meaning, our defense is hell bent on making tackles for a loss and creating turnovers. We are excellent in both areas. On the flipside though, if we can't get in the backfield, then we are forced into "bend but don't break" zone because we become vulnerable to the big play. This means we will give up yards. If we are successful in getting tackles for a loss and forcing turnovers, then we benefit from quick changes in possession. Against our offense, you are dead if we get quick changes in possession.

Think of it like a great college hoops team like North Carolina. A lot of the time, they win by margins of like 97-79. By first glance, you could say, "wow, they gave up 79 points, not a great defense." But you're missing the point, they succeeded in creating a high tempo game KNOWING that you can't beat them in a high tempo game.

This is also true with our defense, to beat us, you must match us score for score. Unfortunately, Texas did this and we didn't force any turnovers. But barring something short of a masterful performance like Mccoy had (I hate to say it, but it was true, I was there), opposing teams have almost no margin for error. If our defense gets sacks and tfls, then we win the down and distance fight. If we create turnovers, it becomes like a fast break.

That's how I'd measure this unit, tackles for a loss and turnovers. Thus far, they have performed very well in both areas. I know I'm not supposed to mention it, but excelling in these two areas against Florida will require excellent execution because Florida is a pretty controlled offense.

Those are my two cents.

fadada1
12/28/2008, 10:21 AM
turnovers are great. intensity seems more visible. none of us like giving up the big plays, but we're leading the nation (i think) in tackles for loss and right up there in sacks. if we turn the big plays around, we're in great shape for years to come.

still, we're playing sick offenses in the big12 - we're bound to give up a few yards/points.

SoonerForever
12/28/2008, 10:33 AM
on the field leadership (Mccoy) ?

RiddlerOK
12/28/2008, 10:36 AM
It would be double the pleasure in leadership if Lofton had stayed. Just sayin'.....

OPSEC
12/28/2008, 10:43 AM
Think of it like a great college hoops team like North Carolina. A lot of the time, they win by margins of like 97-79. By first glance, you could say, "wow, they gave up 79 points, not a great defense." But you're missing the point, they succeeded in creating a high tempo game KNOWING that you can't beat them in a high tempo game.

EXACTLY. I think you hit it on the head. Best analogy I have heard yet.

IMHO it will all come down to intensity. The D's of old, and I mean 2000 and laters, were distinguished for their intensity and knee jarring hits. This defense is bringing this back. Call it swagger, call it cockiness or whatever, but its that certain "Jene se qua (sp)" that our D lacked in the beginning of the season. Then they started jelling. And any football fan who watched OUs D could appreciate it as they saw it right before their eyes. They were coming together, relying/believing that the guy that is/was suppose to be there is/was there. They KNEW s/b was going to make the play.....and with authority. The pride factor is back ladies and gents. E/b mentions the LBs as the difference maker for this game. To me, its Nic and his attitude. If he plays with the reckless abondement that some did not condone against Crabtree on this forum, it will spill over. I think BJ has a great game.

Yes X's and O's wins it but the level of emotional control and the intensity of the hits imposes the will. And whomever has the bigger cojones takes this.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2008, 11:07 AM
This is also true with our defense, to beat us, you must match us score for score.

Any D that requires its offense to score on almost every drive isn't worth spit.

How many would hire a defensive coordinator whose philosophy was "My defenses rely on the opponent's offense to outpace our offense. You do have a great offense, don't you?"

I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid. If this D doesn't shape up it will get badly exposed in the national title game.

Now, if you want to live in a fantasy land where giving up 452 yards and 41 points to Oklahoma State is the mark of a good defense, feel free.

htownsooner7
12/28/2008, 11:27 AM
We can agree to disagree then. Starting with the Nebraska game, our defense turned a corner. I did not say it was a great defense, but my point is that there are different ways to evaluate the effectiveness of a D. Go back to my basketball example, yeah, Wisconsin's D gives up 53 points a game, and UNC gives up 70. Wisconsin plays slow. UNC gets blocked shots, steals, and runs out on rebounds to get fast breaks. I guess you would call Wisconsin a "great defense" and UNC not. Nonetheless, UNC knows they can win by running and playing fast tempo. So does our D. And lets remember, Nebraska, A&M, Tech, and Mizzou all scored points when the game was way out of hand. AND, IMPORTANTLY, those games got out of hand because our defense turned them over. Go back and re-watch the games. Our D's ability to turn teams over is a big reason we are #1 in the BCS.

Dan Thompson
12/28/2008, 11:37 AM
What do I like about our defense - toughness, like when Carter laid one on Maclin(sp), or when Nic Harris hog tied Crabtree on the sideline. The blitzing, sacks, and lost yardage.

What I don't like is when the deep backs bit on a QB run, only to throw a TD pass to the empty area, like in WV game (INHO we were overly concerned with White's running ability) and letting the other team score at the end of the game.

oudivesherpa
12/28/2008, 11:57 AM
A great defense will hold but not stop OUr offense(Texas and TCU both held us to 35 points). I really think we can score 35 points on Florida, the question becomes can we hold Florida to under 35? I think our defense can hold Florida to under 35 points, we will win if we don't give up game breaking plays on Speical Teams. We have given up too many scores and too much filed position in the kicking game which puts the defense in a hole.

Bottom Line is that our defense is a lot better than people think in the last 5 games, the defense gave up points only after the ofense had the game well in hand.

MojoRisen
12/28/2008, 12:17 PM
I think our front 4 have greatly improved and the DE's are playing great

We got pressure on Harrell - which until then was supposed to be impossible.

If we can be disruptive in the gaps and get Florida having to double team and stay off our LB's we should be able to stop the run effectively... We base our whole principle on DFense around stopping the run. It is time to put up or shut up...

cheezyq
12/28/2008, 12:23 PM
Some things I agree/disagree with:

1. Fastbreak offense/defense. I agree to an extent. I think that appears to be an overall philosophy for this team. I'm not sure that the team likes giving up chunks of yards in exchange for turnovers. But, it does seem to work, because if you give up the ball anywhere closer to your endzone than the OU 20, then you've just signed your death certificate with this OU offense.

2. Toughness - Again, I agree/disagree. I don't think our defense lacked toughness in recent years so much as they were never in the right place to make that big hit. Regardless, it's always nice to see your safety lay a receiver out and do the stare down. I love intimidation on defense.

3. 70-yard TD plays - Totally agree TH91. I forgot about that game. I do take a couple of positive things from that game, though. That all happened in a spurt after we went up 28-7. Perhaps the defense thought it could relax a little since we had taken our traditional 1st quarter lead. The rest of the game, only 1 TD was scored. Clearly some adjustment was made. In the past, KSU would have continued to score and score while we keep our head up our butt.

catsigater
12/28/2008, 12:30 PM
Any D that requires its offense to score on almost every drive isn't worth spit.

How many would hire a defensive coordinator whose philosophy was "My defenses rely on the opponent's offense to outpace our offense. You do have a great offense, don't you?"

I know I'm not s'posed to comment in this thread, but that was exactly the philosophy UF had during Spurrier's first 5 years. But since it was Stoops that Spurrier turned to fix that problem after Nebraska embarrassed UF in '96, I find it hard to believe OU has that MO now.

adoniijahsooner
12/28/2008, 12:31 PM

I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid. If this D doesn't shape up it will get badly exposed in the national title game.

Now, if you want to live in a fantasy land where giving up 452 yards and 41 points to Oklahoma State is the mark of a good defense, feel free.

In that game zac robinson made some tremendous plays on 3rd down that normal qb's would not make. McCoy did the same thing and played all world in the red river shootout. KSU and KU games are the only games I would say was hard to watch, because of the constant 70 yard TD's. You cant say that a defense is bad when they create turnovers, sack the quarterback, and get negative plays. Unless Tebow can make every throw on the field, our defense will be the stars of this game period.

soonerfan28
12/28/2008, 12:34 PM
I like everything -MLB.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2008, 12:42 PM
Bottom Line is that our defense is a lot better than people think in the last 5 games, the defense gave up points only after the ofense had the game well in hand.

Okay, at what point in the Oklahoma State game did the offense have the game well in hand?

And lets remember, Nebraska, A&M, Tech, and Mizzou all scored points when the game was way out of hand.

I don't care. I want the D to play rock solid the entire game. And so far, they haven't. It would be one thing if we had emptied the bench and the other team's offense was scoring on our scrubs, but for the most part the players on the field are starters and they are getting worked.

Nonetheless, UNC knows they can win by running and playing fast tempo. So does our D.

What happens if the offense struggles? Does OU get blown out? Is that the mark of a good D, to rely on the offense to score bunches of points?

Now, I can understand arguing that the opponent's get the ball more often because of our quick-scoring offense. So a certain decrease in statistics is expected. Fine. But against OSU (which resembles Florida's offense with less talent), the D continuously gave up scoring drives that kept OSU in the game all night. If OU had stumbled on offense that night at all, they would have lost and everyone in here would have blamed the defense.

That OSU game scares the Hell out of me. We went up against a good RB and an outstanding running QB and they scored and scored and scored. Now we are going up against an even better team that runs a similar offense.

Against Texas, the D completely collapsed when the team needed them most.

OU goes up 21-0 against KSU in the first quarter against KSU, and what does the D do? They give up four consecutive scoring drives and now OU is behind. If it wasn't for a fortunate INT off of a tipped pass and Broyles' kick return, this would have been a 7-point game at the half... against KSU!

And how does a good D give up 491 yards and 31 points to Kansas? Is that the plan on defense? Let the other team score so that we can get the ball back and score again? Would you hire a defensive coordinator that holds that philosophy?

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2008, 12:54 PM

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. All the problems were predicted in spring ball based on inexperience. We had only 2 returning starters in the CCG from last years CCG and were very thin at LB on top of that. Those inexperienced guys now have up to 13 more games under their belts and it shows, but we still are suffering from injuries at MLB.

OSU played well against us and there were only a couple of plays where we screwed up and didn't make them earn it. If the refs didn't blow the fumble call on the 2nd play of the 2nd half, we pull away right there. I was yelling at the TV at the time, but in retrospect, I'm glad it happened. We needed a game where we were challenged into the 4th and we responded.

adoniijahsooner
12/28/2008, 12:56 PM
Okay, at what point in the Oklahoma State game did the offense have the game well in hand?

I don't care. I want the D to play rock solid the entire game. And so far, they haven't. It would be one thing if we had emptied the bench and the other team's offense was scoring on our scrubs, but for the most part the players on the field are starters and they are getting worked.

What happens if the offense struggles? Does OU get blown out? Is that the mark of a good D, to rely on the offense to score bunches of points?

Now, I can understand arguing that the opponent's get the ball more often because of our quick-scoring offense. So a certain decrease in statistics is expected. Fine. But against OSU (which resembles Florida's offense with less talent), the D continuously gave up scoring drives that kept OSU in the game all night. If OU had stumbled on offense that night at all, they would have lost and everyone in here would have blamed the defense.

That OSU game scares the Hell out of me. We went up against a good RB and an outstanding running QB and they scored and scored and scored. Now we are going up against an even better team that runs a similar offense.

Against Texas, the D completely collapsed when the team needed them most.

OU goes up 21-0 against KSU in the first quarter against KSU, and what does the D do? They give up four consecutive scoring drives and now OU is behind. If it wasn't for a fortunate INT off of a tipped pass and Broyles' kick return, this would have been a 7-point game at the half... against KSU!

And how does a good D give up 491 yards and 31 points to Kansas? Is that the plan on defense? Let the other team score so that we can get the ball back and score again? Would you hire a defensive coordinator that holds that philosophy?

In the words of Wade Phillips, "The defense is 12-1"! Maybe if we were winning these games by 2 points or last minute field goals I could see your point.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2008, 12:57 PM
In that game zac robinson made some tremendous plays on 3rd down that normal qb's would not make. McCoy did the same thing and played all world in the red river shootout.

Well it's good to know that we are only playing against Tim Tebow.

Circle City Gator
12/28/2008, 01:04 PM
I think I've seen more changing up on the defense this year. Instead of just straight zone, I've seen some interesting zone blitzes and occasional stunting on the DL. Also, I think we've minimized the HUGE play for the most part (yeah, some 20-30 yard pickups, but none of those 70-yard TDs like in the past), instead settling for keeping everything in front of us....which has allowed for extensive drives, but perhaps has created more opportunities for turnovers. I don't see anything like what I saw last year, where players were CONSTANTLY out of place and we were struggling to get to the ball carrier/receiver. I haven't seen anything like the Colorado game last year where our guys were so far out of place we couldn't tackle the running back.

I'm not going to be a troll and tell you your defense sucks, but, seriously, what the heck are you talking about?

Cincinnati Receiving
REC YDS AVG TD LG
M. Gilyard 7 119 17.0 0 57
D. Goodman 6 60 10.0 1 36

Washington Receiving
REC YDS AVG TD LG
B. Yakaboski 1 38 38.0 1 38

Texas Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
C. Ogbonnaya 15 127 8.5 0 62

Kansas Receiving
REC YDS AVG TD LG
D. Briscoe 12 269 22.4 2 69

Kansas State Receiving
REC YDS AVG TD LG
E. Pierce 11 176 16.0 0 61
B. Banks 5 145 29.0 1 77

Nebraska Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
R. Helu Jr. 16 157 9.8 1 57

Nebraska Receiving
REC YDS AVG TD LG
N. Swift 3 83 27.7 1 67
T. Peterson 5 73 14.6 0 36

Texas A&M Receiving
REC YDS TD LG
Tannehill 4 83 0 55

Sure, a few of those were under 40, but that's what happens when you reach the end zone.

Yeah, I know, I'm a "troll" because I pointed this out, but seriousy, what the heck are you talking about?

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2008, 01:07 PM
In the words of Wade Phillips, "The defense is 12-1"!

Dallas went on to lose three out of their next four games and exit the playoffs in round 1.

To be fair, it was Dallas' offense that cost them. Of course, if Wade had adopted OU's defensive strategy, he would have never made it into the playoffs at all.

BTW, using Wade Phillips won't get you very far, since he is 0-4 in playoff games.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I know, I'm a "troll" because I pointed this out, but seriousy, what the heck are you talking about?

You don't understand our defensive philosophy. We WANT the other team to score on big plays so that we can get the ball back on offense right away.

You see, we are the Sooners, which means "score on us quick, so we can get the ball back 'sooner.'"

That's called a "fast-break defense" around here. (And I do mean "break") You have perhaps heard of a "bend, but don't break" defense, haven't you? Well, we have a "break, but don't bend" defense. (Except on those occasions when we bend just enough that the opposing offense is dancing in our end zone.)

htownsooner7
12/28/2008, 01:31 PM
There is a distinct difference in our defense over the last 5 games. A span that covers 6 weeks. With the exception of OSU, our defense did not give up a disproportionate share of big plays. Those games include being up against outback bowl Nebraska, holiday bowl bound Oklahoma State, and seventh ranked Tech. Missouri has a highly ranked offense as well. Bitch all you want about games that occurred over 2 and half months ago. The defense has improved both in personnel and in execution. If you can't see that, you're just bitter.

adoniijahsooner
12/28/2008, 01:49 PM
I dont know Mr. Lizard, but I feel our defense will be okay in this here championship game. One thing about McCoy and Robinson, is that they are hard to get a grasp on; where Tebow likes to take guys head on. Not quite the recipe for keeping plays alive.

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2008, 02:53 PM
Well it's good to know that we are only playing against Tim Tebow.

If what you are looking for is the OU offense + the USC defense and a gold standard guarantee of a victory in the title game, then I suggest you not tune in. Every Sooner and gator fan will have their stomachs in a knot at kick-off because both teams are very good and nobody knows how it will play out.

As far as judging the defense, you just can't do it in isolation because it's a team, results-oriented sport. BCS #1 at this point in the season is as good as you can do. If we win 49-48, I'll be delighted with the defense.

Curly Bill
12/28/2008, 03:11 PM
1. For the most part we have put players at a position and left them there.
This is opposed to what we've done in the past, especially in the
secondary, where on an annual basis we moved players to a different
position, and no one ever seemed a natural where they were playing. I
might say except for moving Nic Harris to the MLB position after RR's
injury which at the time, and still, seems like a dumas move.

2. I'm not sure we are that much better on defense then in the recent
past. What we have done here lately is done a decent job of defending
the peeps we make a habit of defending well anyway -- Mizzu & TT. It
will be interesting to see how we do against a less familiar opponent in UF.

3. I wonder how big of a role Stoops has taken in coaching the D? It has
been hinted at and talked about, but I wonder how big of a role he has
truly taken.

I'll just end by saying I am still unconvinced about BV. In fact I still have serious doubts about him as a DC at a big-time program, and find it almost laughable he's mentioned for head coaching jobs. I hope the D comes out and plays the game of its life against UF, and at that point I'll reconsider my feelings about BV.

5thYearSooner
12/28/2008, 03:48 PM
Here's my take.
Did anyone do the analysis of how our defense fared in the first half of the game. The reason I wanted to check that is we won most of the games by halftime with the exception of OSU. I remember our defense did well against saxet until RR went down in 3rd.

I think that gives the real impression on our defense.

TXBOOMER
12/28/2008, 04:32 PM

Agree except for the Ryan Reynolds injury. He was playing at a high level and noone else has been as good much less improved at that LB position. Box was getting better prior to his injury but he was not at Reynolds level yet.

FlatheadSooner
12/28/2008, 04:34 PM
You don't understand our defensive philosophy. We WANT the other team to score on big plays so that we can get the ball back on offense right away.

You see, we are the Sooners, which means "score on us quick, so we can get the ball back 'sooner.'"

That's called a "fast-break defense" around here. (And I do mean "break") You have perhaps heard of a "bend, but don't break" defense, haven't you? Well, we have a "break, but don't bend" defense. (Except on those occasions when we bend just enough that the opposing offense is dancing in our end zone.)

Let's face reality here........I don't think anyone believes OUr defense is where we'd all ultimately like it to be.

But I like this D.....I like their resolve........and we'll take on any sucka in the country! :les:

:D

cheezyq
12/28/2008, 04:43 PM
1. For the most part we have put players at a position and left them there.
This is opposed to what we've done in the past, especially in the
secondary, where on an annual basis we moved players to a different
position, and no one ever seemed a natural where they were playing. I
might say except for moving Nic Harris to the MLB position after RR's
injury which at the time, and still, seems like a dumas move.

2. I'm not sure we are that much better on defense then in the recent
past. What we have done here lately is done a decent job of defending
the peeps we make a habit of defending well anyway -- Mizzu & TT. It
will be interesting to see how we do against a less familiar opponent in UF.

3. I wonder how big of a role Stoops has taken in coaching the D? It has
been hinted at and talked about, but I wonder how big of a role he has
truly taken.

I'll just end by saying I am still unconvinced about BV. In fact I still have serious doubts about him as a DC at a big-time program, and find it almost laughable he's mentioned for head coaching jobs. I hope the D comes out and plays the game of its life against UF, and at that point I'll reconsider my feelings about BV.

I especially agree about #3. I kind of wondered if you would say that. When I evaluate our overall D, though, I've been leaving out TT and Mizzou for the exact reasons you mentioned. I think the fact that FU runs a spread works a bit in our favor.

What I like the most is that we turn the ball over, we're in place to make tackles (moreso than last year, anyway), and we still get a lot of sacks. We're still allowing yards, and in OSU's case, points. MOST of the games where we allowed a lot of scores, we were way ahead. The KU game, the UT 2nd half, and the OSU game are worrisome. Of course, those are 3 pretty strong opponents, so it's not all that comforting.

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 04:59 PM
Out of respect, I stayed out for 2 pages, but now that 2 other Gators have weighed in:

1. Stoops style of attacking defense became popular in the mid 1990's. Since that point, many teams, especially the Big 12 have adopted the spread offense. Are Stoop's scheme's as dominating vs the spread vs older style offenses?

2. Stoops is known as one of the better defensive minds in the game, but it seems like the scheme at times looks dominating, but at times can break down a give up a bunch of points. I saw it a UF a couple of times, and have seen it at OU at least a few times since.

I think it comes down to the athletes. In a stoops scheme, if you have the better athletes on the field, the defense will be better. If the athletes lining up on the other side of the ball are as good or better, especially in a spread scheme, it can break down at times.

Finally, what did OU do differently on D vs TT? They shut down a damn good offense in that game.

Again, for those that want to construe this as a criticism (which it is not), I attribute UF's first national championship largely to Stoops, and apart from Meyer I still think he may be the best college coach out there.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2008, 05:34 PM
Did anyone do the analysis of how our defense fared in the first half of the game. The reason I wanted to check that is we won most of the games by halftime with the exception of OSU. I remember our defense did well against saxet until RR went down in 3rd.

We were ahead 24-17 over Kansas at halftime.

htownsooner7
12/28/2008, 05:37 PM
I get confused with the criticism of bowl losses. Why was our loss to west virginia so unforgiveable while Florida's loss to Michigan last year is fine??? Stoops has a NC and 6 conference championships. Why is meyer any better??

L-Boy
12/28/2008, 07:07 PM
I get confused with the criticism of bowl losses. Why was our loss to west virginia so unforgiveable while Florida's loss to Michigan last year is fine??? Stoops has a NC and 6 conference championships. Why is meyer any better??

Right or wrong - Meyer is going to take more heat for the offensive play, while Stoops the Defense, because Meyer was an offensive guy (feel free to have fun with that statement). So while Meyer is ultimately responsible for the the whole program, he most likely delegates more of the defense job, including scheme, to the coordinators, while I would think a guy like Stoops would at least be involved with the overall scheme, etc, if not more involved at times.

Also, OU has pattern the last few years of breaking down in some big bowl games - last year's defensive breakdown was somewhat of an exception for Meyer - and it came a year after Meyer had the best defense in college football, and the defense last year was incredibly young and inexperienced - even this year, a year later, the defense has no seniors starting and they are much better than last year.