PDA

View Full Version : OU playing for the Big 12's pride and status.

ratedrsuperstar
12/27/2008, 08:22 PM
I don't care what Texas does against OSU or what TT does against Ole Miss, The Big 12 will be judged on what OU does against the Gators. If our Sooners lay another egg like they have in the last 2 bowl games and or last 4 BCS games, this "SEC is greater than any other conference" talk will continue for years to come.

I know our players and coaches are talking a good game about curfews and being prepared but right now it is only talk, they need to back it up. I personally think it is going to take another Texas Tech game performance to get it done, anything less and we will be making excuses again.

85sooners
12/27/2008, 08:51 PM
:gary:

cheezyq
12/27/2008, 08:54 PM
I personally don't give a flying **** about the Big 12. We're not southern inbred lunatics who root for a whole conference to take the focus off how their team sucks every other year. OU built it's own legacy without the help of the Big 6/8/12, so I say **** the rest and do it for OU. If the rest of the Big 12 wants to ride our coattails, who cares?

SoonerBoognish
12/27/2008, 09:04 PM
Silly me, I was misled into thinking they were playing for a crystal football.

oupride
12/27/2008, 10:19 PM
Ditto. We are not playin for the Big 12. This is about OU.

RiddlerOK
12/27/2008, 10:46 PM
Sounds good to me. :)

Crucifax Autumn
12/27/2008, 10:56 PM
I want the crystal too, but I do have to say it's fun being the cream of the crop and the face of the conference. If we're the unanimous best team in the best conference nearly every year, I can't complain.

SoonerSon
12/27/2008, 11:10 PM
I know I'll take heat for this...especially beeing a nooB. :-)

First and foremost, our Sooners need to bring home the crystal rock. Nothing else matters to me if that does, or does not, happen. I feel our boyz, and coaches, are up to the task.

Beyond that...I am not opposed to conference opponents that we beat, also winning their bowls. It brings cred to the conference on a national stage and does nothing but boost our status even more for being CC's.

I was stoked to see TCU win. Not a conf opp, but they had the #2 defense, which we hung 35 on, and they will finish in top 10...plus, Boise State got stuffed...a twofer IMO.

If KU, MU, OSU, TT, NU win their games....along with us of course, that's OK by me.

Eff the 'whorns, though....they can go suck a bag of dirt.

Boomah!

cheezyq
12/27/2008, 11:24 PM
I know I'll take heat for this...especially beeing a nooB. :-)

First and foremost, our Sooners need to bring home the crystal rock. Nothing else matters to me if that does, or does not, happen. I feel our boyz, and coaches, are up to the task.

Beyond that...I am not opposed to conference opponents that we beat, also winning their bowls. It brings cred to the conference on a national stage and does nothing but boost our status even more for being CC's.

I was stoked to see TCU win. Not a conf opp, but they had the #2 defense, which we hung 35 on, and they will finish in top 10...plus, Boise State got stuffed...a twofer IMO.

If KU, MU, OSU, TT, NU win their games....along with us of course, that's OK by me.

Eff the 'whorns, though....they can go suck a bag of dirt.

Boomah!

One problem in viewing it this way is that OU shouldn't and doesn't need the other teams to win to boost its cred, so who cares about the conference. It's already in the national title game. Besides that, the Big 12 has done virtually nothing to support OU, particularly when it comes to officials who shouldn't be taking part in certain games. Living in KC, I get crap from MU, NU, KU, and KSU fans all the time who are no better than the orange turds laying in stoolwater. F' em. F' em all I say.

The other problem is that if we root for the conference teams, we're no better than those inbred losers in the SEC. I'd rather not be lumped in with their sort...but that's just me.

;)

catsigater
12/27/2008, 11:32 PM
I don't care what Texas does against OSU or what TT does against Ole Miss, The Big 12 will be judged on what OU does against the Gators. If our Sooners lay another egg like they have in the last 2 bowl games and or last 4 BCS games, this "SEC is greater than any other conference" talk will continue for years to come.

B-I-G 12!

B-I-G 12!

B-I-G 12!

Just doesn't have the same ring, does it?

Crucifax Autumn
12/27/2008, 11:40 PM
That's why we don't do moronish things like conference chants...they ALL sound stupid.

SoonerSon
12/27/2008, 11:50 PM
One problem in viewing it this way is that OU shouldn't and doesn't need the other teams to win to boost its cred, so who cares about the conference.

Living in KC, I get crap from MU, NU, KU, and KSU fans all the time who are no better than the orange turds laying in stoolwater. F' em. F' em all I say.

;)

Agree...OU needs to take care of OU...and our rep is definitely our own. I just think the stronger our conference, the more it raises our game play, and cred, overall.

I'm in KC too...and yeah, throughout the season, hear a little smack from my buddies who went to NU, MU, KSU (KU knows they cant say much yet :D ). I must add that those same guys are pulling for OU in the MNC...when they've lived in their shadow for years.

BTW...where do OU homers watch the games around here?

catsigater
12/27/2008, 11:53 PM

I'll be at the Fox and Hound on Metcalf in Overland Park. That's the official Gator hangout during the season. You're welcome to come. :D

SoonerSon
12/28/2008, 12:01 AM
I'll be at the Fox and Hound on Metcalf in Overland Park. That's the official Gator hangout during the season. You're welcome to come. :D

Appreciate the invite catsigater...but will need to respectfully decline, though I have frequented that fine establishment on many occasion. ;)

Got the old man his first HD for Christmas, so we will be planted in front of it for the big game this year.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/28/2008, 12:13 AM
OU built it's own legacy without the help of the Big 6/8/12, so I say **** the rest and do it for OU.

Good man. No need to mention the Big Seven. We got every single one of them titles ;)

cheezyq
12/28/2008, 12:13 AM
Agree...OU needs to take care of OU...and our rep is definitely our own. I just think the stronger our conference, the more it raises our game play, and cred, overall.

I'm in KC too...and yeah, throughout the season, hear a little smack from my buddies who went to NU, MU, KSU (KU knows they cant say much yet :D ). I must add that those same guys are pulling for OU in the MNC...when they've lived in their shadow for years.

I'd love to be where you're at. Most of the MU/KU/NU/KSU guys I know want FU to win.

I usually just watch on my nice big TV at home...although I'll be out of town for the game watching it w/ the rest of my Sooner family.

catsigater...coming from a person who used to work for Fox and Hound, the one at Metcalf is lame. Last I knew, they didn't even have HD, and the audio there was terrible. If the one in Independence is still open, I'd go there, although it might have shut down because it wasn't getting much business while I was with the company. Of course, I haven't been to a F&H for about 2 years and haven't worked there since 2005, so take that for what it's worth.

There are better places in town than F&H, though...that's for sure. I'll bet they'll have a huge MNC party at the Power and Light district. I know they had a huge deal for the Mizzou/OSU game. If so, you won't be stuck to just one bar/restaurant...although you might not find pool there. I also hear good things about the 810 Zone.

I've only been in KC for 3+ years and haven't ventured out to the bars much, so I'll let any other KC residents here give the down low on the good locations.

catsigater
12/28/2008, 12:18 AM
catsigater...coming from a person who used to work for Fox and Hound, the one at Metcalf is lame. Last I knew, they didn't even have HD, and the audio there was terrible.

Yeah, I agree with all that, but that's where the Gators meet, so if I go out for a game, I usually head there.

We just moved to NKC from OP though, so if the weather sux, I'll watch it at home and field calls from my brother who's going to the game.

OU_Sooners75
12/28/2008, 12:24 AM
We are not playing for the Big 12 Pride and Status.

We are playing for OUR OWN PRIDE AND STATUS!

Screw what the Big 12 does. I am not a Big 12 Homer. In fact, I hope Texas, Texas Tech, OSU and Missouri all lose!

OK2LA
12/28/2008, 12:39 AM

I know our players and coaches are talking a good game about curfews and being prepared but right now it is only talk, they need to back it up. I personally think it is going to take another Texas Tech game performance to get it done, anything less and we will be making excuses again.

I think you've received a pretty solid cross section of fans and their opinions on your opinion.

I feel that public humiliation is more powerful than negging.

cheezyq
12/28/2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I agree with all that, but that's where the Gators meet, so if I go out for a game, I usually head there.

We just moved to NKC from OP though, so if the weather sux, I'll watch it at home and field calls from my brother who's going to the game.

Yeah, the newer F&H restaurants are usually pretty sweet. The one in Wichita is ridiculous, with an enormous HD screen in the main bar. The newer models have audio/video packages that run several hundred thousand, and sometimes up to 1/3 of the total cost of the building.

The one on Metcalf was an old afterthought remodel, and hasn't been updated in forever. But that's the F&H M.O. No advertising (seriously, you will NEVER hear or see a F&H commercial). Low cost repairs. No money spent on anything but the original setup.

KYSooner
12/28/2008, 01:11 AM
The thing about this topic is that I really do care about the Big 12 for a number of reasons. Now while I do agree that we are OU, we need to take care of OU and nobody else, f the rest. But, the SEC does currently hold the argument that they ARE the best conference, the only reason for this is because they have more people to argue this. While every knowledgeable college football fan knows the Big 12 is in fact better, the majority of America does not. This majority of moronic Americans includes many pollsters for various rankings such as awards, bowl games, and most importantly...rankings. And about these rankings, we want teams like Missouri, K State, Tech, OSU, and God forbid texas to be ranked so when we beat them it is better for us. Think about it, if the Big 12 was not as powerful as it was this year, we would probably not be where we are...we'd be in the Fiesta bowl watching suc and florida. Higher rankings for foe Big 12ers also means better bowls, which in turn means better bowl games and more money for us.

The longer the Big 12 retains dominance the better. It will be a few years for the rest of college football to realize that the SEC is done and the old sheriff is back in town.

SoonerSon
12/28/2008, 01:19 AM
We are not playing for the Big 12 Pride and Status.

We are playing for OUR OWN PRIDE AND STATUS!

Screw what the Big 12 does. I am not a Big 12 Homer. In fact, I hope Texas, Texas Tech, OSU and Missouri all lose!

I thought we were playing for our 8th Natl Championship. Heck...Sooners already have pride and status. :)

catsigater
12/28/2008, 01:25 AM
The longer the Big 12 retains dominance the better. It will be a few years for the rest of college football to realize that the SEC is done and the old sheriff is back in town.

This stuff always goes in cycles. Teams have down years. When several teams from a conference all have down years, then the conference is perceived as down.

Looking at it right now, I'd say the Big 12 has at least 2 more years of being the top conference. We'll have to see what happens with Tenn., Auburn, LSU and GA, but right now those teams are all a couple years from contending. Bama looks to be back though.

And despite this board's disdain for SEC chants, there's no doubt that having a strong conference helps when those last BCS polls come out. Some of you have said as much, even if you think us Southerners take it too far.

SoonerSon
12/28/2008, 01:31 AM
And about these rankings, we want teams like Missouri, K State, Tech, OSU, and God forbid texas to be ranked so when we beat them it is better for us. Think about it, if the Big 12 was not as powerful as it was this year, we would probably not be where we are...

KYSooner...my thoughts exactly.

If we dominated a conf of ISU's and Baylors, we would not be playing in the NC. Simple as that. (Note previously undefeated Boise State eating at the kids table again.)

Do I want OU to own every team we play...yes. But victory is sweeter against a ranked team.

soonermix
12/28/2008, 01:58 AM
two things and i am sure they have already been said but
1) no matter how much you hate your conference foes we do still need them to at least be perceived as good.
the reason(s) are staring at us in the rose bowl. 1 loss penn st was basically never in the conversation because the big televen is so week and the same with suc. we got in because our conference had so many big games for us to be able to sway voters and the computers into putting us in the mnc game.

2) since i am here i wanted to ask "how do you determine the best conference"?
is it a) my conference is best
is it b) only look at the top of the conference (top 2,3? )
is it c) top to bottom?

i just wanted to know for future reference

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2008, 02:32 AM
If the fans of the other teams in the conference were rooting for OU, that would be on thing. But they're not. So screw the conference.

catsigater
12/28/2008, 02:39 AM
2) since i am here i wanted to ask "how do you determine the best conference"?
is it a) my conference is best
is it b) only look at the top of the conference (top 2,3? )
is it c) top to bottom?

i just wanted to know for future reference

It's d) the one whose fans chant the conference name the loudest during bowl games.

Sheesh.

jwlynn64
12/28/2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks for the post Soonermix. How many of the "F the rest of the Big 12" posters have also posted about the weak Pac 10 and Big 10? Probably most.

There is no question that having a strong conference (winning OOC games) is good for OU. You don't have to like the teams, but you better hope they do well or OU is the little sister to USC since we are not loved in the media as they are.

Crucifax Autumn
12/28/2008, 05:58 AM
The Big 12 will always show well against other conferences...just watch the upcoming bowl games for proof. I predict the conference will win every game.

OU_Sooners75
12/29/2008, 04:40 AM
I thought we were playing for our 8th Natl Championship. Heck...Sooners already have pride and status. :)

We know this. The Media knows this. Every fan in the world knows this. However, 61.2% of the nation says Florida should win this game.

Why? It has nothing to do with us playing for our 8th NC. It has all to do with us losing the last 4 BCS Games we have played in. Two of which could have made 2008 #10 not #8.

Like I said, We are playing for our own pride and status.