PDA

View Full Version : honest opinions - can OKC support team long term?

soonervegas
12/27/2008, 02:37 PM
My gut is 50-50 right now. Yes if we can put a consistent playoff contender on the floor. Think Utah....

No if we are consistently at the level of the wizards, etc.

I hope that can get a W in Washington tonight. They have been playing hard and deserve some success.

starclassic tama
12/27/2008, 02:43 PM
there's not really any doubt that we will support the team i think. there are always going to be families taking their kids to watch lebron james dunk on us. my worry is us "fitting in" with the rest of the NBA and becoming more competitive as a fanbase and a franchise. nobody takes us seriously now, we are the joke of the NBA. we are going in the right direction, just be patient people. but i admit it is kind of disconcerting to never see more than 0 or 1 people viewing this forum. i know this is a sooner football board, but there are always 5x the people viewing the recruiting forum than the thunder board.

SoonerNerd
12/29/2008, 02:43 AM
We will always be a joke unless we start to win some games. 3-28 is absolutely pathetic.

Crimsontothecore
12/30/2008, 12:50 AM
there's not really any doubt that we will support the team i think. there are always going to be families taking their kids to watch lebron james dunk on us. my worry is us "fitting in" with the rest of the NBA and becoming more competitive as a fanbase and a franchise. nobody takes us seriously now, we are the joke of the NBA. we are going in the right direction, just be patient people. but i admit it is kind of disconcerting to never see more than 0 or 1 people viewing this forum. i know this is a sooner football board, but there are always 5x the people viewing the recruiting forum than the thunder board.

Wow, I thought the title was "OKC Thunder talk"

Soonerus
12/30/2008, 01:02 AM
Yes, OKC will support the Thunder, another sellout tonight...wait untill they start winning...

birddog
12/30/2008, 09:05 AM
Wow, I thought the title was "OKC Thunder talk"

he said "Sooner Football Board", which is true. this is a thunder forum.

i think his point is people interested in the thunder don't come to this board for info.

Jerk
1/2/2009, 10:04 PM
If they change the damned name, yes.

That name is the reason for all of our misery.

Dio
1/2/2009, 10:23 PM
They're not gonna change the name now. Besides, the name "Thunder" doesn't suck as bad as Nuggets, Pacers, or Magic- people are just used to those names and they'll get used to ours.

Bosley
1/6/2009, 09:25 PM
If the Oklahoma economy continues to grow, and several thousand new jobs pour into the area I dont see any reason why Oklahoma City wouldn't be able to support the team long term.

Breadburner
1/18/2009, 10:15 AM
They will never sniff the play-offs.....Okc is not a place where NBA players want to be.....

sooner59
1/26/2009, 10:13 PM
They will never sniff the play-offs.....Okc is not a place where NBA players want to be.....

I disagree. I believe most NBA players want to be anywhere that they are getting paid big $$$. There are some who live through the game and have a burning desire to play it, but the average pro player is happy if they are playing and the team is paying. Its not like Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, or Memphis are any more interesting than OKC.

Collier11
1/27/2009, 03:12 PM

Not even close to being right which shows that you dont pay attention to what the actual players are saying, you base or opinion off of what the natl media says, or you just have a lousy opinion. Durant, who is a legit Nba star has already come out and said he wants to sign long term in OKC and that he loves it here. Those type of opinions are what will bring in other big time players. Sure, we may not ever get Kobe or Lebron but we can win with good drafting and getting guys a notch below those two.

Our economy will grow, we will hopefully continue to get bigger businesses to come here as well. I think based on the young talent and good leadership/ownership, we can put together a legit playoff contender within 2 years if not next yr

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 04:22 PM
The Thunder could go winless every year as long as they put butts in the seats.

As a long time NBA fan (Nuggets), I can tell you from an opposing fanbase point of view, we don't see the Thunder as a joke. I think the thought is that it's a very, very young team that needs some drafts to get better. Getting Griffin would go a long way in helping the team (not to mention the local market).

There are nights I've gone to see the Nuggets and the Pepsi Center isn't even half full...and we're in a serious playoff hunt!

8timechamps
1/27/2009, 04:24 PM

Money overcomes all issues.

The NBA could put a team in Iraq, as long as the money is there the players will be.

Collier11
1/27/2009, 08:11 PM
Pre-Saddam or Post-Saddam?

Collier11
1/29/2009, 11:23 AM
Here is a good article about Durants future and the future of this team

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvF6LhFFJyt1ybDfqDEp52g5nYcB?slug=jy-durantthunder012909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Mixer!
1/29/2009, 11:09 PM
Good article indeed, I hope the Thunder can compete for a playoff spot next season.

Soonerus
1/29/2009, 11:19 PM
Great story...

Sooner LockJaw
1/30/2009, 06:09 AM
Yes OKC can support a team long term. Will there be ebb & flow? Yes. Other factors such as the economy, wins & losses, ownership decisions having to do with coaches trades, drafts along the way will determine everything after this "new" has worn off.

As for players not wanting to be in OKC-that could be said about about any city depending on where the individual comes from and what they are used to.

This isn't the latest census-but I know that in the not-to-distant-past Green Bay had a population of like, under 100,000. That's less than Lawton......I don't think that many of the players used to living in or playing college ball in the bigger cities would be overly excited about being in Green Bay itself.
Playing during the best years of Favre's career-probably, but like any franchise they've had the lean years, too.

Charlotte or Salt Lake? Are you kidding me?:D

Yes in the end, the $$$ and the team ownership/management and player base are what interest most pros-mostly the former.

The Thunder will be supported very well during their growth period with improvement showing and draft picks waiting. :pop: Possibilities like Blake further down the road will also keep interest peaked even during the seasons with losing records.

I'd bet that all of the current Thunder would tell you that they would much rather play in a home arena where they have this kind of nightly support that in their former city where the fans had stopped showing up;) -no matter how much "prettier" they may think that city may be.:P

Go THUNDER!

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
2/3/2009, 09:25 PM
Only if we can come up with some cool cheer for everyone to get into. Kinda like the one side yelling BOOMER and the other side yelling SOONER! Maybe THUNDER...BOOM! Cause you know that's the only kind of cheer that us okies can handle.

By the way...first time Thunder poster here. So with that in mind let me say...THUNDER...

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
2/3/2009, 09:32 PM
http://www.bergoiata.org/fe/divers45/Nature%20-%20Lightning.jpg

BOOOOOOOM!!!!!