PDA

View Full Version : OU vs Fla is very simple

Collier11
12/26/2008, 11:48 PM
If our O-line dominates, Sam will pick apart their D, he will make their SEC speed and their secondary look average, and we will win, possibly by 10 or more. If our O-line plays mediocre or worse, anything resembling the last two bowl games, then Florida will beat us. I think it is as simple as that...thoughts?

Curly Bill
12/26/2008, 11:51 PM
Sounds like using your logic we win handily. Good jorb!

edit...cause I think our O-line will dominate.

ETGator1
12/26/2008, 11:53 PM
There is no way the OU OL will dominate UF. Bama's OL is better than OU's and the Tide didn't dominate UF.

DenverSooner751
12/26/2008, 11:55 PM
There is no way the OU OL will dominate UF. Bama's OL is better than OU's and the Tide didn't dominate UF.

I guess Bama's O-line averages a 3.5 40yd.

Quantify your statement of "better."

Curly Bill
12/26/2008, 11:55 PM

Lets hear that chant:

SEC...SEC....SEC....SEC

Flagstaffsooner
12/26/2008, 11:56 PM
Silly, silly reptile.;)

DenverSooner751
12/26/2008, 11:57 PM
If our O-line dominates, Sam will pick apart their D, he will make their SEC speed and their secondary look average, and we will win, possibly by 10 or more. If our O-line plays mediocre or worse, anything resembling the last two bowl games, then Florida will beat us. I think it is as simple as that...thoughts?

I think if that happens then we stand a good chance of blowing out Florida. They'll get their points, but if we do this, we'll get more.

Crucifax Autumn
12/27/2008, 12:21 AM

That's stupid considering that a Florida paper quoted in another thread refers to Bradford getting 68 seconds to throw the ball every play.

JLEW1818
12/27/2008, 12:24 AM

yep that has been my thought. Oklahoma Offensive line vs. the Florida Dline

Curly Bill
12/27/2008, 12:29 AM
yep that has been my thought. Oklahoma Offensive line vs. the Florida Dline

:confused: ...but where does the sprint relay team enter into this?

itsok
12/27/2008, 03:12 AM
I have no doubt about our O performing, we win this game because Stoops is
going to be a defensive coordinator for the next two weeks...we stop them
a couple of times and they are dead...simple as that...they think we cannot
stop the run?

JLEW1818
12/27/2008, 03:13 AM
:confused: ...but where does the sprint relay team enter into this?

They will come from the sky

Circle City Gator
12/27/2008, 09:53 AM

I think that is probably a fair description of what will happen when OU has the ball, and will comment a bit more below. The funny thing, though, is that OU is so focused on offense nobody pays attention to the other side of the ball. The teams take turns, you see. Even if OU scores FASTER, UF gets a complete turn, and gets to keep going until OU stops them or they score. Florida has a pretty potent offense, too, so I think you only have half the analysis.

As for that half, I would add a little to it. First, more detail. OU's line has to dominate on the ends. It is not just a matter of strength. Can OU's tackles handle the speed of (a) Florida's ends, particularly Carlos Dunlop, and (b) blitzing LBs and safeties (Florida will drop the DEs into coverage and blitz, causing confusion and requiring fast response AND great foot speed). The other part of the equation is the cornerbacks. Can Florida's corners give the extra second of cover that means the difference between a completion and a sack?

I guess I'm saying I think you're right, but I'm focusing on more detail, not just "OU's line." It's OU's tackles vs. speed and switching blitzes, and UF's corners adding a second to the rush.

On the other side of the ball, the match-up is a bit more complicated. If OU over-pursues, they are dead. They have to be incredibly disciplined and make open-field tackles on first contact. If they can do those things they can contain the inside-outside running game. I know a lot of people here think Florida's speed guys only run outside, but they are wrong. Florida runs a lot of traps, and their speed makes tiny creases into giant holes. If OU over-pursued to the outside on the trap, they are dead.

If OU can keep contain and stay disciplined, the game will come down to their corners and safeties against Florida's receivers and RBs in the slot or out of the backfield. Can they match Florida's receivers in man coverage, or in a match-up zone? If so, we have a game on our hands. If not, Florida's offense will dominate. It will dominate because Tebow will pick them apart, or it will dominate because OU will have to add a DB and the running game will explode.

So, in summary, for OU's offense, the key is tackles vs. speed, and for UF's defense, it's cornerbacks buying an extra second.

For UFs offense, the key is receivers vs corners, and for OU's defense it is discipline and open-field tackling.

Or at least that's one guy's analysis.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/27/2008, 10:09 AM
I think that is probably a fair description of what will happen when OU has the ball, and will comment a bit more below. The funny thing, though, is that OU is so focused on offense nobody pays attention to the other side of the ball. The teams take turns, you see. Even if OU scores FASTER, UF gets a complete turn, and gets to keep going until OU stops them or they score. Florida has a pretty potent offense, too, so I think you only have half the analysis.

As for that half, I would add a little to it. First, more detail. OU's line has to dominate on the ends. It is not just a matter of strength. Can OU's tackles handle the speed of (a) Florida's ends, particularly Carlos Dunlop, and (b) blitzing LBs and safeties (Florida will drop the DEs into coverage and blitz, causing confusion and requiring fast response AND great foot speed). The other part of the equation is the cornerbacks. Can Florida's corners give the extra second of cover that means the difference between a completion and a sack?

I guess I'm saying I think you're right, but I'm focusing on more detail, not just "OU's line." It's OU's tackles vs. speed and switching blitzes, and UF's corners adding a second to the rush.

On the other side of the ball, the match-up is a bit more complicated. If OU over-pursues, they are dead. They have to be incredibly disciplined and make open-field tackles on first contact. If they can do those things they can contain the inside-outside running game. I know a lot of people here think Florida's speed guys only run outside, but they are wrong. Florida runs a lot of traps, and their speed makes tiny creases into giant holes. If OU over-pursued to the outside on the trap, they are dead.

If OU can keep contain and stay disciplined, the game will come down to their corners and safeties against Florida's receivers and RBs in the slot or out of the backfield. Can they match Florida's receivers in man coverage, or in a match-up zone? If so, we have a game on our hands. If not, Florida's offense will dominate. It will dominate because Tebow will pick them apart, or it will dominate because OU will have to add a DB and the running game will explode.

So, in summary, for OU's offense, the key is tackles vs. speed, and for UF's defense, it's cornerbacks buying an extra second.

For UFs offense, the key is receivers vs corners, and for OU's defense it is discipline and open-field tackling.

I agree with you about the D ends. The key to this for us is going to be Auston English. He's our big contain guy and this is why I've been on pins and needles waiting to see if he plays.

Your question of if OUr corners/safeties, we've taken a lot of chances against Tech/OSU/Mizzou in that area leaving BJack and Dom one on one with the likes of Crabtree, Dez, and Maclin(given, he's not 100%) and Dez was the only one to have a decent game because Crabtree had very little during the early part of the game when it was close. I've said all along that our coaching staff will continue to trust the DBs and force Florida to beat us with the pass. It's not a knock against your passing game but the fact the Florida run game is their bread and butter. Also, I think the coaching staff has grown to really trust our guys in coverage and the schemes we're running early on prove that. I'm curious as to how many first half rushing yards our last 6 opponents have put up? All of those game were over by half except OSU but that was just a wild game.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/27/2008, 10:20 AM
Ok, here's the stats for OUr run D the last 6 games. I had to look this up

K State- 64 yards on 32 carries
Nebbish- 193 on 40 attempts with 57 coming on one play. Plus it was 28-0 5:33 into the game.
A&M- 26 yards on 29 attempts
Tech- 45 yards on 22 attempts
OSU- 198 on 39 attempts with 69 yards on 3 plays
Mizzou- 60 yards on 28 attempts

I think we continue to load the box and make tebow attempt to win the game with his arm, not his legs. I like our DBs in these matchups.

MojoRisen
12/27/2008, 10:22 AM
Dunlap doesn't scare me - our OLINE will play well... Oh yeah his 5 flat for 290 pounds is SEC SPEED!

sooner518
12/27/2008, 10:26 AM

They're in the SEC. duh

Bama's O-line is good but the waste of space throwing the ball didnt do much with it except throw it to Julio Jones a few times.

SoonerKnight
12/27/2008, 10:26 AM
Florida fans believe that OU does not have enough play makers on defence to stop Tebow. With this logic that the "saint Tebow" is going to pick OU apart. Now the first mistake is to think that we can not play defense because that is far from the truth. We held Tech to 21 pts and they pass a lot. Yes, we gave up yards but who cares you need points to win. Florida likes to run and we can stop that threat. We force Florida to be one dimensional and that will be bad for them. Also, Florida's D is not the best defense out there in fact I believe that USC had that honor this year and TCU had the honor of having the number 2 defense in the country. I believe that Florida's D will stop the run because that is what they are used to doing but they are not used to a passing game that is as fast as us and they will have penalties trying to sub while we snap the ball. We will see them blitz and our line will hold and we will gain yards and points from Florida trying to be so aggresive. Can Florida stop OU a couple times in the game probably so. Heck I think the score will be 7-7 going into the second qtr. I think OU will calm down and start to make plays. I don't think Florida is the best team out there. I also believe that OU is the best team out there and I think the fans of FLorida are way to cocky for their own good. Heck this was a down year for the SEC. The Big XII had a three way tie because it's teams were that good. Offense is the new game of football. Defense was the key to winning games but now we have teams that like to throw the ball over and over and over and OU which has two 1,000+ yard running backs like to throw in a little bit of a run game in there just to catch the defense off guard. We will win and we will do so in a very convincing manner. Oh and our defense will come in really really pissed!!!!!!!!!!!

fadada1
12/27/2008, 10:36 AM
all very good points, i must say. no suprise stopping the run is key. while i don't think venables is into using a spy, i do think he might have one of our LBs "favor" tebow - possibly lewis because of his speed (not as fast as florida, of course) and his ability to tackle well and bring some power. tebow needs to be worried about his safety if/when he decides to run. obviously easier said than done.

the other thing i see we need to do (again, no suprise) is for a little pressure in the pocket (especially on 4-man rushes) - not a ton, but enough to get tebow to make a quick decision. he has a tendency to throw a wobbly ball, so if our DBs are covering well and the pressure is there, the ball may float a touch allowing for drops, misses, or hopefully a pic or two.

just my $.02

VA Sooner
12/27/2008, 11:21 AM
I'm impressed with the analyses here on this thread... very impressed.

OU's run defense will be challenged for sure. I think the Defensive coaches trust the DBs to contain the pass threat... the question will be containing the run game of Tebow and Demps. Coverage with the defensive tackles is good (although could be a little better if Granger were in there... but he's started less than half the games this season for various reasons). Middle linebacker is the key... Box against Tebow, power-hitter vs power-runner. Travis Lewis would then move to the Will position where he has excelled all year and Clayton on the other.

I think that will be the key defensive position is middle LB. Rotating Lewis and Harris and Balogun will be the next best option but I like our chances better with red-shirt freshman Austin Box who proved his mettle in the Oklahoma State game until he was knocked out by a cheap shot.

I think both teams are fairly well-matched up... offense and defense. Florida does have speed but there's a question on depth because of injuries. We've had injuries but mostly in that dreaded middle LB position.

It's going to be a damn good game.

Circle City Gator
12/27/2008, 11:31 AM
all very good points, i must say. no suprise stopping the run is key. while i don't think venables is into using a spy, i do think he might have one of our LBs "favor" tebow - possibly lewis because of his speed (not as fast as florida, of course) and his ability to tackle well and bring some power. tebow needs to be worried about his safety if/when he decides to run. obviously easier said than done.

the other thing i see we need to do (again, no suprise) is for a little pressure in the pocket (especially on 4-man rushes) - not a ton, but enough to get tebow to make a quick decision. he has a tendency to throw a wobbly ball, so if our DBs are covering well and the pressure is there, the ball may float a touch allowing for drops, misses, or hopefully a pic or two.

just my $.02

OY! This again. Nobody makes Tebow "worried about his safety."

adoniijahsooner
12/27/2008, 11:32 AM

just my $.02

More than likely it will be Beal.

adoniijahsooner
12/27/2008, 11:41 AM

You honestly believe that Tebow can't be hurt, huh? You truly believe that he is invincible? We actually know our players can lose this game if we are not at the top of our game (Texas), we also know that our star players can be injured (Murray, Peterson), but the florida gators will never acknowledge any defeat, will never step up and say we got our asses whipped 3 out the 4 by ole miss, and will never admit that tebow is not immortal. You guys are sick human beings.

Jacie
12/27/2008, 11:49 AM
I remember the feeling I had watching OU @ State . . . the Pistol Peters were matching us score for score, though accepting field goals for OUr touchdowns, but we just needed one stop to pull away from them. It happened (late in the game but it finally did happen) and then they were forced out of their game plan. Sooners score a bunch in the fourth to their none (as opposed to doing that in the first) and we got a 20-point win.

I am thinking that is how this one will play out.

fadada1
12/27/2008, 11:49 AM

sorry, i forgot he was the son of God and incapable about thoughts of worry and intimidation. there's always someone bigger, meaner, stronger, and more motivated.

lighten up. funny how in most national championship games, one team seems totally unprepared for the hitting. happened to us in a game i don't recollect about 4 years ago. best example i have ever seen of this was the '87 ('86 season) fiesta bowl - PSU v. miami. anyone think miami wasn't overconfident going into that game is kidding themselves. the miami receivers were scared to cross the middle.

LitiG8R
12/27/2008, 11:51 AM
You honestly believe that Tebow can't be hurt, huh? You truly believe that he is invincible? We actually know our players can lose this game if we are not at the top of our game (Texas), we also know that our star players can be injured (Murray, Peterson), but the florida gators will never acknowledge any defeat, will never step up and say we got our asses whipped 3 out the 4 by ole miss, and will never admit that tebow is not immortal. You guys are sick human beings.

Sick human beings? A little over the top there chief? Lets take it down a notch. With that said 41-14 FL. Book it.

Dan Thompson
12/27/2008, 11:56 AM
One of my biggest concerns is Loadholt. I know he is a great player, but he is not fast. Look at the UT game, a fast DE can get around Loadholt, so Sam will need to step up in the pocket, if it has not collasped. I hope there is some RB blocking behind Loadholt to pickup the LB.

catsigater
12/27/2008, 12:04 PM

Read it again, sport. No one said Tebow couldn't be hurt, nor that we can't be beat. The criticism was about the line that OU will somehow make Tebow "worried about his safety."

Tebow has been hurt before - as has Bradford. He was in rough, rough shape over a 4 or five game span last year. His effectiveness suffered, but never once did he "worry about his safety."

In fact, just the opposite. Last year at least, he was at times too reckless with his body to suit the coaches.

If you think OU's offense is going to intimidate a player who finished a game and scored a 29-yard touchdown on a broken leg while in high-school, you're going to be disappointed. (Roll your eyes all you want, but those are the facts.)

"He came over to the sideline and I told him to toughen up, it's probably a bruise," Howard said. "I felt like a bad coach later. He played the rest of the game and scored on a 29-yard touchdown run on a broken leg to tie the game in the fourth quarter. The X-ray showed a jagged break of his lower leg. It wasn't a hairline thing.
http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060131/GATORS01/201310351/-1/sports

adoniijahsooner
12/27/2008, 12:04 PM
Sick human beings? A little over the top there chief? Lets take it down a notch. With that said 41-14 FL. Book it.

Misguided, Brainwashed, or delusional? 56-35! tebow gets knocked out of the game.

adoniijahsooner
12/27/2008, 12:11 PM
Read it again, sport. No one said Tebow couldn't be hurt, nor that we can't be beat. The criticism was about the line that OU will somehow make Tebow "worried about his safety."

Tebow has been hurt before - as has Bradford. He was in rough, rough shape over a 4 or five game span last year. His effectiveness suffered, but never once did he "worry about his safety."

In fact, just the opposite. Last year at least, he was at times too reckless with his body to suit the coaches.

If you think OU's offense is going to intimidate a player who finished a game and scored a 29-yard touchdown on a broken leg while in high-school, you're going to be disappointed. (Roll your eyes all you want, but those are the facts.)

Wow! I have nothing else to say, no more analysis is needed, because Tebow is like wolverine and can regenerate. Let me go to another thread, because I am only going to flame up this one.

catsigater
12/27/2008, 12:16 PM
Let me go to another thread, because I am only going to flame up this one.

That's a good idea. Shooting down straw men is a sure sign you're shooting blanks.

No one said Tebow "couldn't be hurt." They said he wasn't going to be worried about his safety. Now run along like you promised.

sooner94
12/27/2008, 12:42 PM

You are drinking the SEC cool aid, bud. Bama's O-line is probably the best at run blocking, but the pass blocking was pretty mediocre. One of the reasons Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson struggled throwing the ball this year is because of his O-line. They could run it all day, but passing- not so much. Their D and running game were so good it didn't hurt them until they played a team like Florida (yes, I am complimenting your team). Their all-world LT got beat a few times against Florida. At times against lesser competition, even then you could see them struggle throwing the ball.

The OU O-line was damn good in pass blocking all year, maybe the best in the country. Then they got more physical on the run after the Texas game.

That being said, I don't think either team will dominate the other. Two great teams that are focused and should be ready to play.

ETGator1
12/27/2008, 01:29 PM
I guess Bama's O-line averages a 3.5 40yd.

OK. Both OLs will have two projected to be drafted according to ESPN Draft Tracker:

Center: Antoine Caldwell -Alabama- the 4th rated center and 74th player projected in the draft.

Guards: Duke Robinson -Oklahoma- the 1st rated guard and the 53rd player projected in the draft.

Tackles: Andre Smith -Alabama- the 1st rated tackle and the #1 player projected in the draft.

Phil Loadholt -Oklahoma- the 8th rated tackle and the 55th player projected in the draft

That's a number 1 pick overall in the first round plus an early 3rd round pick for Bama and two late 2nd round picks for Oklahoma. With Andre Smith, I'd give the edge to Bama.

The bottom line even if you rank the OLs even is that the OU offensive line is not going to dominate the UF defense. Bama couldn't do it and neither will OU.

Curly Bill
12/27/2008, 01:30 PM
OK. Both OLs will have two projected to be drafted according to ESPN Draft Tracker:

Center: Antoine Caldwell -Alabama- the 4th rated center and 74th player projected in the draft.

Guards: Duke Robinson -Oklahoma- the 1st rated guard and the 53rd player projected in the draft.

Tackles: Andre Smith -Alabama- the 1st rated tackle and the #1 player projected in the draft.

Phil Loadholt -Oklahoma- the 8th rated tackle and the 55th player projected in the draft

That's a number 1 pick overall in the first round plus an early 3rd round pick for Bama and two late 2nd round picks for Oklahoma. With Andre Smith, I'd give the edge to Bama.

The bottom line even if you rank the OLs even is that the OU offensive line is not going to dominate the UF defense. Bama couldn't do it and neither will OU.

You do know that there are five guys that play on the OL for each team and not just two?

ETGator1
12/27/2008, 02:18 PM
You do know that there are five guys that play on the OL for each team and not just two?

Yes, I just don't see anything special about them. They're just good college OL who did what was expected of them in their respective systems.

sooner94
12/27/2008, 02:24 PM
You sure Bama's O-line was good at pass blocking?

starclassic tama
12/27/2008, 03:02 PM
LOL @ the gator, now we are a "system" offensive line

fadada1
12/27/2008, 03:11 PM
whatever it takes to make them feel better about playing against our offense.

Collier11
12/27/2008, 03:30 PM
Bama has a great run blocking O-line, we have a great pass blocking O-line.

Its also funny that he says they are just good college O-lineman in a system since Phil, Duke, Trent, Brandon, and even Cooper at a lesser extent are projected to play in the NFL

OPSEC
12/27/2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by ETGator1

I dont know. If memory serves me right, Coffee had a pretty good game. some of those holes he ran through were pretty gatorsized! Yes, Bama struggled a bit with the passing game but not that much. If JPW had another receiver besides JJ it might have been different story but you guys keyed on JJ and it was a done deal. We have more than one receiver that can do what JJ did. All we have to do is fine which one is going to get hot.

As for the end issue and Loadholt, IMHO opinion we throw to Madu on the flat to keep the end honest and get him frustrated with rushing up field, or like the one guy said, dropping him off on coverage. Either way we keep him on his heels and that will cool his jets.

tulsaoilerfan
12/27/2008, 04:25 PM

What about the other 3 players? You can't just say that because at this time Bama has 2 higher rated players that the entire line is better; OU can play 6-7 guys on the line with no noticeable drop off in ability; can Bama say that?

Iam4OUru
12/27/2008, 04:52 PM

I agree totally. It will take that "great foot speed" of yours to catch Iggy, Manny and Gresham as they're running past your secondary with the football. :D

sooner94
12/27/2008, 07:39 PM
LOL @ the gator, now we are a "system" offensive line

That is a new one. I have heard the term "system quarterback," but not "system offensive lineman."

I love Leach's response to that. "If our system is that good, then why isn't everyone else using it?" Damn good question, isn't it?

Jdog
12/27/2008, 11:59 PM

You're right, but our O-line will have to keep it up for all 4 quarters like they did against OSUE---there can be no let down on either side of the ball like there was after we scored 28 at KSU. That would be my worst nightmare. Sooner must play focused with no mistakes and convert long third downs and short 4th downs - other wise it could be a 21 point spread.

Crucifax Autumn
12/28/2008, 06:28 AM
No worries!

ratedrsuperstar
12/28/2008, 07:30 AM
OU can play 6-7 guys on the line with no noticeable drop off in ability; can Bama say that?

If you put 6 or 7 on the O-line, that doesn't leave a lot of spots for skilled folks !:) :) :) :) :) :) :)