PDA

View Full Version : Next year's D

Toronto Sooner
12/26/2008, 06:51 AM
Our D could look something like this next year, assuming our key underclass guys decide to stay in school:

Defensive Ends, starters – F. Alexander, J. Beal
Key backups – A. English, R. J. Washington (5 star recruit)

Defensive Tackles, starters – G. McCoy, A. Taylor
Key backups – D. Granger, Stacy McGee, J. Mcfarland (5 star recruit - could red shirt)

Linebackers, starters – T. Lewis, A. Box, K Clayton
Key backups – R. Reynolds, M. Balogun, J. R. Bryant, Ronnel Lewis (could red shirt)

Safeties, starters – Q. Carter, Desmond Jackson
Key backups – Joseph Ibiloye, Sam Proctor

Defensive Backs – D. Franks, B. Jackson
Key backups – Jamell Fleming, Jonathan Nelson, Gabe Lynn (could red shirt), Kevin Brent (could red shirt)

adoniijahsooner
12/26/2008, 07:24 AM
Our defense is going to be nasty, with all of the talent and experience we have coming back.

soonermix
12/26/2008, 08:08 AM
Our defense is going to be nasty, with all of the talent and experience we have coming back.

and not to mention the coaching with brent venables

now let this little debate go on kplzthx yeah i'm that guy tiz ok

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/26/2008, 09:56 AM
The only problem I see with your depth chart is Auston English and Ryan Reynolds. Auston was the Big 12 preseason pick for defensive player of the year. If he's healthy, there's NO way he backs anyone up. I do see us running another 6 or 7 deep rotation on the line. And we have to remember what Ryan has done in his career thus far and I do not see Box starting over him. It'll just calm all of our minds with back ups with so much experience and when they do start can be immediate impact players. Remember, the sexat game he blew his knee out in was the FIRST game in a Sooner uniform that he wasn't wearing a knee brace. I think he wears one the rest of his career and this helps prevent what happened(Personal experience).

My wildcard to earn a starting job......Sam Proctor. Kid is a beast and the coaching staff loves him and what he's brought to the table so far. Plus, Proctor made a huge push to get Nic's job in the spring but Nic earned it back at the last minute.

adoniijahsooner
12/26/2008, 10:05 AM
and not to mention the coaching with brent venables

now let this little debate go on kplzthx yeah i'm that guy tiz ok

normally i would think you were crazy, but he has gotten much more aggressive this year.

stoopified
12/26/2008, 11:19 AM
Our D could look something like this next year, assuming our key underclass guys decide to stay in school:

Defensive Ends, starters – F. Alexander, J. Beal
Key backups – A. English, R. J. Washington (5 star recruit)

Defensive Tackles, starters – G. McCoy, A. Taylor
Key backups – D. Granger, Stacy McGee, J. Mcfarland (5 star recruit - could red shirt)

Linebackers, starters – T. Lewis, A. Box, K Clayton
Key backups – R. Reynolds, M. Balogun, J. R. Bryant, Ronnel Lewis (could red shirt)

Safeties, starters – Q. Carter, Desmond Jackson
Key backups – Joseph Ibiloye, Sam Proctor

Defensive Backs – D. Franks, B. Jackson
Key backups – Jamell Fleming, Jonathan Nelson, Gabe Lynn (could red shirt), Kevin Brent (could red shirt)Not abad peek at next year but I would say that I see Box,Proctor,English as starters, I think Cordero Moore may move into that #4 tackle spot in the rotation replacing departing senior Cory Bennett.

In any case we return a wealth of talent AND experience(which was lacking going into last season).We return 3 DEs with starting experience(Alexander,English,Beal),3 DTs(Taylor,Granger,McCoy),4 LBs(Reynolds,Lewis,Box,Clayton),2CBs (Franks,B.Jackson),1 S(Carter}.That means we return THIRTEEN players with starting experience on D.Add to that the fact that we have talented newcomers who will be allowed to ease into the lineup with our veterans(Washington,Proctor,D.Jacson,Iboye,etc.)we should be MUCH improved on D in 2009.This year we were so thin and inexperienced in so many areas(LB,DB) that when you add in the injuries to to OUr DEs(Davis,English) and to Reynolds it is small wonder (to me at least) that we struggled on D at times.I can not help but think the added depth and experience will allow OUr D to regain its normal national standing .

We may well need to lean on the D early next year as OUr O seeks to get its sea legs with a rebuilt OL and WRs.

BoulderSooner79
12/26/2008, 11:33 AM
We may well need to lean on the D early next year as OUr O seeks to get its sea legs with a rebuilt OL and WRs.

I agree the D could be really good next year. But the offense may score a bit less than 700pts, so you know what that means.... We'll have to adjust our fire BV threads to read fire KW. Some of our more experienced posters may call to fire 'em both :)

aero
12/26/2008, 11:49 AM
Not a bad line up Toronto. I can see Reynolds and English backing up. Even at least the first part. Depends on how they come back and how others are playing. I was impressed with Box and another year under his belt he could be really good. The line is loaded. English is a stud but we don't lose near as much without him as we do w/o Reynolds and Box. Any way, it would appear we are going to be solid on D next year.

Scott D
12/26/2008, 11:52 AM
I agree the D could be really good next year. But the offense may score a bit less than 700pts, so you know what that means.... We'll have to adjust our fire BV threads to read fire KW. Some of our more experienced posters may call to fire 'em both :)

I'm setting my firing sights low. Fire BJW, rehire Jonathan Hayes.

My Opinion Matters
12/26/2008, 03:30 PM
I don't think Ryan Reynolds ever plays football again.

adoniijahsooner
12/26/2008, 03:45 PM

Three surgeries in 3 years and playing a position where you are going to be getting cut down, it is definitely going to be a struggle.

goingoneight
12/26/2008, 04:03 PM
Defense next year definitely has a nice cupboard stocked up so far... but all it takes is a guy who isn't experienced enough or isn't mentally ready to make the defense look poor. The Reynolds injury against UT not only resulted in a loss, but three or four very poor defensive efforts followed until OU came up with a little bit better answer at MLB.

pappy
12/26/2008, 04:03 PM

I gotta agree with that too.

also on the depth chart that was made on here...what about david sims the juco safety we got this past year that had to show up late to fall camp b/c he had to finish a class.

JLEW1818
12/26/2008, 04:04 PM
Could make up for some lack of offense next season, compared to this seasons.